Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The Weather

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:17 pm
cerranoredux wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:22 am
rass wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:27 am
rass wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:55 am Staring down our 4th straight rainy Saturday (at least, I was out of town on 9/16, but I know it definitely rained that Sunday). Dumb.
SMH
Whatever you do, avoid looking at the forecast for next Saturday.
60% chance of rain. Forecast clear for days on either side of it.
Fuck! I just want to mow my back yard! Lawn service came yesterday, treated the front and left a note that the back was too high to treat.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:50 am
rass wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:55 am Staring down our 4th straight rainy Saturday (at least, I was out of town on 9/16, but I know it definitely rained that Sunday). Dumb.
SMH
Fuck! I just want to mow my back yard! Lawn service came yesterday, treated the front and left a note that the back was too high to treat.
I think you’re screwed, it’s gonna rain.

But I just want a clear Saturday afternoon/evening. The forecast is up to a 75% chance of rain Saturday, but now with a 55% chance on Friday, too. I’ll take an overnight shower that clears out Saturday morning.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:55 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:50 am
SMH
I think you’re screwed, it’s gonna rain.

But I just want a clear Saturday afternoon/evening. The forecast is up to a 75% chance of rain Saturday, but now with a 55% chance on Friday, too. I’ll take an overnight shower that clears out Saturday morning.
I'll settle for mowing on a weekday, but the morning are wet from dew, and the back hasn't dried out in a month.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Crazy wind today. My office looks out over the front yard and my wife has her crazy Halloween decorations up. I've been startled multiple times by the dead little girl swinging from our front porch.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

jfc the first thing i saw was the second line :o ha

(71F here today - we got a beauty, actually dug shorts out that i'd put away this weekend)
Giff wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:29 pm Crazy wind today. My office looks out over the front yard and my wife has her crazy Halloween decorations up. I've been startled multiple times by the dead little girl swinging from our front porch.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:29 pm Crazy wind today.
Maybe its the breeze from Martin Maldonado's many swings and misses!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:43 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:29 pm Crazy wind today.
Maybe its the breeze from Martin Maldonado's many swings and misses!!!
Nah. If that caused it this would be normal from April to October (sometimes November).
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yankees catchers went 0-14 with 5 ks last year in the ALCS. 0-3 with 3 ks the year before in the Wild Card.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And how many strikeouts this year, Mr. Stats?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:47 pm And how many strikeouts this year, Mr. Stats?
Yankees had zero, true.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Snow game in Denver on Sunday??
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

It's looking that way but with the weather out here the forecast will change a dozen times before then
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

When I picked up my kid from work last night the TNT halftime show was on and a couple of guys at the bar were debating whether everyone was cold since the set was outside, in Denver. I looked it up and it was in the low 60s at that time.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:37 am Snow game in Denver on Sunday??
Yes, please!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:59 am It's looking that way but with the weather out here the forecast will change a dozen times before then
You picked a good weekend to jet out here!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:18 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:59 am It's looking that way but with the weather out here the forecast will change a dozen times before then
You picked a good weekend to jet out here!
Definitely so…supposed to get anywhere from 2-8” of snow. Glad I’m missing it. Going to be 60’s again next weekend.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Just a perfect day in Boston. Might not have left with more days like this
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

yet another 50F late December day in Buffalo.

documenting the last year in local weirdness from a Western NY weatherblog - the area has gone from most snow [and 90% of that was just from 2 storms (noting of course that one was the deadly xmas storm...)] in a year in local history to the 2nd-least over the span of the last 2 years. that seems a little fkd up...:
Buffalo, following the Christmas blizzard, has received only 39 inches of snow since Jan. 1, making this the least-snowy year in 75 years. By comparison, thanks to November-December record snowfall in 2022, Buffalo received 188.3 inches last year, making it the snowiest calendar year on record. This year’s 39.3 inches is the lowest since 1948 and second since recording began at the airport
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:31 am yet another 50F late December day in Buffalo.

documenting the last year in local weirdness from a Western NY weatherblog - the area has gone from most snow [and 90% of that was just from 2 storms (noting of course that one was the deadly xmas storm...)] in a year in local history to the 2nd-least over the span of the last 2 years. that seems a little fkd up...:
Buffalo, following the Christmas blizzard, has received only 39 inches of snow since Jan. 1, making this the least-snowy year in 75 years. By comparison, thanks to November-December record snowfall in 2022, Buffalo received 188.3 inches last year, making it the snowiest calendar year on record. This year’s 39.3 inches is the lowest since 1948 and second since recording began at the airport
Couple hours east of you and we had our third consecutive year of a green/tan/dead grass Xmas. Plow service yet to be seen other than when they put their markers next to our driveway. We had measurable snow on November 1, which is not unusual, and a couple times when the streets have been salted, just next to nothing otherwise.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

it's nuts isn't it?

i mean i know i've seen green christmases in the past but not so many in a short span.

i know i can't just throw out last year's local snow hurricane but assuming i do, last winter was jack shit for snow as well. even with the what 6+' that fell we were back to bare grass in a week.

...really what this all means is muddy paws in the back door every damn day now. it's too much.
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:04 am Couple hours east of you and we had our third consecutive year of a green/tan/dead grass Xmas. Plow service yet to be seen other than when they put their markers next to our driveway. We had measurable snow on November 1, which is not unusual, and a couple times when the streets have been salted, just next to nothing otherwise.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:32 am it's nuts isn't it?

i mean i know i've seen green christmases in the past but not so many in a short span.

i know i can't just throw out last year's local snow hurricane but assuming i do, last winter was jack shit for snow as well. even with the what 6+' that fell we were back to bare grass in a week.

...really what this all means is muddy paws in the back door every damn day now. it's too much.
Last year, we had the fewest number of visits from the plowing company in any year since we moved here (this is winter #11 and they come if we get 3" of snow). We always pay for the full season, instead of for X number of times. It's worked out well for the plowing company the last couple years.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

It's been in the 40s for the past week here (one day it hit 50). It's rained everyday too, so if the temperature was normal, we'd be buried in snow.
Canadian International
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Stay safe, Giff and TT.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm Stay safe, Giff and TT.
Gotta be honest, getting a straight-razor shave while a crazy line of thunderstorms moves through is not a fun experience.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:57 pm Stay safe, Giff and TT.
Gotta be honest, getting a straight-razor shave while a crazy line of thunderstorms moves through is not a fun experience.
You’re gonna hate hanging with me in Nashville n
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A little nervous with all of these flood warnings, as I'm heading out of town tomorrow and don't want to leave my wife to deal with it. Seeing the email from the electric company telling me to prepare for flooding really has me worried. They've never sent a flood warning! A couple days ago it said possible 3 inches on top of the snow we just got, plus the ground is still saturated from the last two rains that caused flooding in my backroom. Fun never ends. I need to move to a condo or apartment with a maintenance department to take care of shit. I'm done.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, this is a weird one. I don’t remember a preemptively state of emergency for rain and wind before. All after-school stuff just got cancelled.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:49 pm A little nervous with all of these flood warnings, as I'm heading out of town tomorrow and don't want to leave my wife to deal with it. Seeing the email from the electric company telling me to prepare for flooding really has me worried. They've never sent a flood warning! A couple days ago it said possible 3 inches on top of the snow we just got, plus the ground is still saturated from the last two rains that caused flooding in my backroom. Fun never ends. I need to move to a condo or apartment with a maintenance department to take care of shit. I'm done.
Do what I did last time severe weather rolled through: go to Santa Monica.
Last edited by A_B on Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:52 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:49 pm A little nervous with all of these flood warnings, as I'm heading out of town tomorrow and don't want to leave my wife to deal with it. Seeing the email from the electric company telling me to prepare for flooding really has me worried. They've never sent a flood warning! A couple days ago it said possible 3 inches on top of the snow we just got, plus the ground is still saturated from the last two rains that caused flooding in my backroom. Fun never ends. I need to move to a condo or apartment with a maintenance department to take care of shit. I'm done.
Do what I did last time sever weather rolled through: go to Santa Monica.
I'm a little further North in Silicon Valley.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'll allow it.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

may not be helpful but one of the main lines of storms just passed through Atlanta and they did the same stuff preemptive warnings etc (kids didnt take bus and streets were relatively empty and carpool easy... lots of no shows). storms were not bad at all and less rain than i figured. winds not terrible. overblown hype so far here and still in thick of it. just regular rain. can hear flights coming into hartsfield
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:24 amI'll allow it.
Like 100 flights a day and you're letting him slide. Terrible.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:43 am may not be helpful but one of the main lines of storms just passed through Atlanta and they did the same stuff preemptive warnings etc (kids didnt take bus and streets were relatively empty and carpool easy... lots of no shows). storms were not bad at all and less rain than i figured. winds not terrible. overblown hype so far here and still in thick of it. just regular rain. can hear flights coming into hartsfield
Thing is, I read an article that predicted that there would be a lull once the system hits GA, but it will pick back up again when it starts moving up the I95 corridor.

Not saying it might not stay on the calmer side, but it was predicted by the models to do exactly what you are saying.

I'm working from home today when I'm normally supposed to be in the office. This is a perfect example of why folks should telecommute, yet most of my department are trudging into the office. Kind of stupid. The evening commute could be a disaster.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:43 am may not be helpful but one of the main lines of storms just passed through Atlanta and they did the same stuff preemptive warnings etc (kids didnt take bus and streets were relatively empty and carpool easy... lots of no shows). storms were not bad at all and less rain than i figured. winds not terrible. overblown hype so far here and still in thick of it. just regular rain. can hear flights coming into hartsfield
Thanks for the positive thoughts. Flight leaves at 2:00, when the heavy rain is supposed to start. Hopefully won't cause me any problems getting out. Just had a flashback to flying out the day of a huge snowstorm. My flight was the last one out before they closed the airport, left my wife to deal with a blizzard and two young kids.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:23 am
A_B wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:52 am
Do what I did last time sever weather rolled through: go to Santa Monica.
I'm a little further North in Silicon Valley.
And, I’m going to the cold in New Mexico. Hang out together next time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I got a little grief from my boss this morning when I told him I'm not coming in, just so I can leave early before the shit hits the fan on the evening commute.

He just had to delay a 1p meeting because he was told to send out an all-employee email about the weather.

HA! Suck it, dude.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

It's going to be -40 here Thursday night.

A lot of people like to quote windchills as an exaggeration of the temperature, which is a peeve of my pedantic self. "It was minus FORTY!". No it wasn't. It was -29 and windy.

But it will actually be -40 which is extreme, even for around here
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Around noon today they called a 2 hour delay for tomorrow AM.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

degenerasian wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:25 pm It's going to be -40 here Thursday night.

A lot of people like to quote windchills as an exaggeration of the temperature, which is a peeve of my pedantic self. "It was minus FORTY!". No it wasn't. It was -29 and windy.

But it will actually be -40 which is extreme, even for around here
I'm the opposite. Who cares about the actual temperature? I care about what it actually feels like, especially if it's going to feel like -40!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Usually agree, but it kinda matters for things like "will this water become ice?"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The