The Weather

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The Weather

Post by rass »

My sister is in Goldsboro, NC and is getting her ass kicked right now. No power, chunks of her fence gone.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, looking at the radar, the bad stuff is finally mostly done here, but they're still getting a ton of rain to the east.

Apparently Fayetteville got 15" of rain. That's a hell of a lot of rain. Looks like Goldsboro got over 16". Not sure how much here, but I'm guessing at least 8".
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The main road from town out to her house washed away. The Nuese River is supposed to see a near record crest.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Shirley wrote:Yeah, looking at the radar, the bad stuff is finally mostly done here, but they're still getting a ton of rain to the east.

Apparently Fayetteville got 15" of rain. That's a hell of a lot of rain. Looks like Goldsboro got over 16". Not sure how much here, but I'm guessing at least 8".

That storm looked a lot like Floyd from a distance, and IIRC, the real problems with Floyd started 24-48 hours later as rain that fell in the Piedmont made its way east. Have they done anything (can they do anything) to improve the drainage since then?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rex wrote:
Shirley wrote:Yeah, looking at the radar, the bad stuff is finally mostly done here, but they're still getting a ton of rain to the east.

That storm looked a lot like Floyd from a distance, and IIRC, the real problems with Floyd started 24-48 hours later as rain that fell in the Piedmont made its way east. Have they done anything (can they do anything) to improve the drainage since then?
Well, I think some whole towns got washed away and not rebuilt after Floyd, so I guess that's one thing. I've heard that they expect the Tar River to set a new record with this storm, and that's the river that caused a lot of the problems with Floyd. I don't know - I have to hope they learned and improved some things since Floyd, but we'll see. I think Floyd caused something like $2B in damage to roads, houses, and crops. It sounds like we actually got more rain this time.
Totally Kafkaesque
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The way God punished Haiti, America's sin must really be making him angry.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote:Where's the root system on that tree?
All wooded areas near me are filled with toppled trees like that from that October snowpacolypse a few years back.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:Where's the root system on that tree?
All wooded areas near me are filled with toppled trees like that from that October snowpacolypse a few years back.
Some neighbors had a large tree toppled due to a strong thunderstorm. They cut the "tree" off and had the stump flipped back over to fill the hole.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Bump.

We have one of these picnic tables on our deck:

Or at least I still think we do.

The odd thing is that, due to the berm on the property line and a couple trees on it, the wind has left some blades of grass peeking through the snow under the swingset.

It was over 70 degrees on Saturday afternoon.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Golfed on Friday - 60 degrees and sunny.

Salting the walkway today - 20 degrees and windy.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

So I'm out in Redmond this week. I'm rescheduled my Friday morning flight back to be tomorrow morning, because they are calling for 4-6" of snow tomorrow night. Apparently that would be the most in about 5 years in Seattle. So yeah, I'm not fucking with that. I'm guessing they are about as prepared for that as NC is, but with worse traffic and curvier roads.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Shirley wrote:So I'm out in Redmond this week. I'm rescheduled my Friday morning flight back to be tomorrow morning, because they are calling for 4-6" of snow tomorrow night. Apparently that would be the most in about 5 years in Seattle. So yeah, I'm not fucking with that. I'm guessing they are about as prepared for that as NC is, but with worse traffic and curvier roads.
Several years ago, I was working in downtown Seattle and had to get up at 4 a.m. to do some work before everyone came into the office. When I walked outside, it was snowing very heavily and there was even thunder and lightning. Walking in the middle of a thunderstorm while it was snowing heavily is one of the oddest walks I've ever had. I think the city got about five inches of snow, and it effectively shut down downtown. Only a handful of people made it to the office, and the hotel restaurant had very limited offerings that night because none of their food delivery trucks could make it.

Between that and being in Seattle when it was in the upper 90s one summer, I seem to bring out the odd weather in Seattle.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Most people don't realize that downtown Seattle has some very steep hills. Add snow to that, and, well...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sabo wrote: Between that and being in Seattle when it was in the upper 90s one summer, I seem to bring out the odd weather in Seattle.
And we sat on the metal bleachers in left field at Safeco Field! Holy crap, it was hot.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote:So I'm out in Redmond this week. I'm rescheduled my Friday morning flight back to be tomorrow morning, because they are calling for 4-6" of snow tomorrow night. Apparently that would be the most in about 5 years in Seattle. So yeah, I'm not fucking with that. I'm guessing they are about as prepared for that as NC is, but with worse traffic and curvier roads.
I don't know...I'll believe the snow forecast when I see it.

But oh man...its been cold for the last few days. The bike commute has been brutal.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
Sabo wrote: Between that and being in Seattle when it was in the upper 90s one summer, I seem to bring out the odd weather in Seattle.
And we sat on the metal bleachers in left field at Safeco Field! Holy crap, it was hot.
I still remember the stench of garlic fries.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
I don't know...I'll believe the snow forecast when I see it.

But oh man...its been cold for the last few days. The bike commute has been brutal.
You're good. Since I changed my travel plans in anticipation of the weather, it won't snow now. Book it. But yeah, it's been cold this week. I really wanted to get out to Crystal Mountain on Sunday, but the ski bus isn't running yet and I didn't want to drive my rental car through the snow (and I had no chains). The mountains have been getting dumped on.
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Was driving around Winnipeg for 2 days in blizzard conditions in a goddamn Corolla. Only got stuck once.

Now in Edmonton and it's -10F out.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

P.D.X. wrote:Was driving around Winnipeg for 2 days in blizzard conditions in a goddamn Corolla. Only got stuck once.

They won't even let you drive to the mountains in Washington unless you have 4WD or chains.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

P.D.X. wrote:Was driving around Winnipeg for 2 days in blizzard conditions in a goddamn Corolla. Only got stuck once.

Jeebus. I hope you are being well-compensated.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

sancarlos wrote:

Jeebus. I hope you are being well-compensated.
I got to eat amazing food and drink a lot while actually working very little. So, yes?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Did the bike commute this morning....about 3 inches of snow on the ground. Wasn't too bad once I got out to a main street where it was mostly slush.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

8 inches of very wet snow makes me wonder if condo living wouldn't be so bad.

That was a very painful 90 minutes of shovelling.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote:8 inches of very wet snow makes me wonder if condo living wouldn't be so bad.

Is hiring a company to plow your driveway not an option? Or do you have the longest sidewalk in the world?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote:8 inches...very wet..makes...a very painful 90 minutes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Pruitt wrote:8 inches of very wet snow makes me wonder if condo living wouldn't be so bad.

Is hiring a company to plow your driveway not an option? Or do you have the longest sidewalk in the world?
I'm cheap and in reasonably good health, so I shovel. Also, last year we only had two significant snowfalls. Why pay some derelict $100+ per month to show up at 4 am to disturb the hell out of me?

Double driveway with two paths to the street. AND a corner lot where the snow accumulates. And today's snow weighed a ton.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sierras and northern Rockies are getting absolutely douched with snow. Supposed to be moving into Colorado and New Mexico. Was already an above-average winter as far as snowfall. A couple breaks here and there and a gentle snowmelt in April/May and the Colorado River basin might not have to be declared a federal disaster area this summer because of drought.

Thanks, Obama!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

We're on Day 2 of OMG Snow Is Coming high alert around here. Last I checked, they are thinking 3-6 inches on Saturday. They started prepping roads yesterday or the day before.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Doing the bike commute when its ~25 degrees in the morning sucks. My feet just freeze, even with my thick smart wool ski socks and the shoe covers.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is going to be such a letdown.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We've got about half an inch. Maybe an inch on ground. It's sticking pretty good. Hey let school out early and I anticipate they won't have it tomorrow.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:half an inch...Maybe...pretty good...early...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote:This is going to be such a letdown.
You are in Atlanta, right? My sister has been sending e-mails making fun of the reaction there. She sent pictures of the bread aisle in her supermarket. One bag each of 3 brands of hotdog rolls, and a lot of empty shelf space. I'm getting ready for the inevitable bitching about people driving 5 miles/hour in flurries that don't even stick to the road.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My oldest is crossing over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts this weekend at our camping trip. 100% chance for rain tonight and tomorrow morning, then temps down to the 30s tomorrow night. Should be interesting.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:My oldest is crossing over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts this weekend at our camping trip. 100% chance for rain tonight and tomorrow morning, then temps down to the 30s tomorrow night. Should be interesting.
Thought you were joking or exaggerating then just saw the HIGH in New Orleans is going to be only 39 tomorrow.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The Sybian wrote:
You are in Atlanta, right? My sister has been sending e-mails making fun of the reaction there. She sent pictures of the bread aisle in her supermarket. One bag each of 3 brands of hotdog rolls, and a lot of empty shelf space. I'm getting ready for the inevitable bitching about people driving 5 miles/hour in flurries that don't even stick to the road.
Do not mess with freezing rain. Learned that early on in my southeastern travels.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Confirmed.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'll let Atlanta reddit do the talking...

LewP
Jackie Treehorn

Post by LewP »

[img]15826503_10154993812798856_5785337821515304026_n.jpg[/img]
"Never pay for the same real estate twice." General George S. Patton