The OFFICIAL Towns in North Jersey Discussion Thread ...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Towns in North Jersey Discussion Thread ...

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:I can probably still do Friday, but it would definitely be after 8PM.
Friday works for me.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And....
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm out guys. Maybe next time.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You'd think we could take a hint after all of these years, huh?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:You'd think we could take a hint after all of these years, huh?
I just appreciate the invites. Schedule just so messed up.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Last night I found out I have to go to a wake. I hate wakes, the open casket thing is so bizarre and morbid. Is it a Catholic thing, or do all Christians do this?

How about next week?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I guess I picked the wrong week to stop drinking alone!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I have to thank you guys for your complacency tonight (especially you AB). I had some great chicken tonight. I do what to blame cerrano for not quite being convincing enough when he told me how fucking great the place was.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote:I have to thank you guys for your complacency tonight (especially you AB). I had some great chicken tonight. I do what to blame cerrano for not quite being convincing enough when he told me how fucking great the place was.
#sorryyou'rewelcome?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sooo gooood

My wife said the bedroom was a little garlicky this morning, but I was otherwise free of any fried chicken, hot sauce or kimchi side effects today (oh man I'm old).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d, in the cookbook thread wrote:Soul food is great.
At least the second time you've expressed this recently. Have you found a good place in Jersey yet? When we first moved, there was a place downtown, sort of buffet-ish, but they did greens better than I ever could and were very convenient. They're long gone at this point. For a long time there was a more upscale place on the Fanwood/Plainfield border that was pretty good, but I haven't been there in years (and looking for them now it looks like they may have closed in the past year or two, though their website is still being paid for by someone).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have not. Any time we get to really go out to eat (which means "not Stirling Hotel"), we tend to head into the city.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

for the soul food, try church's in the vauxhall section of union. i absolutely love their fried chicken, and they do a great job with hush puppies. mac and cheese could be better, but just about everything else is great.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

cerrano wrote:for the soul food, try church's in the vauxhall section of union. i absolutely love their fried chicken, and they do a great job with hush puppies. mac and cheese could be better, but just about everything else is great.
Shit. I've had their menu forever but haven't ever gone.

And yeah, mac and cheese is one thing I'm comfortable enough making myself that it takes a really great one to make it worth ordering out.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh shit. So basically if I'd ever driven past the Whole Foods I go to weekly, I'd see it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I drive past that Whole Foods daily. Next Swamp-up at the Corner Table!
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

as the fall begins in earnest tomorrow, you should make a trip to the pie store in montclair. the steak, ale and mushroom pie is the tits, but they have a lot of other savoury pies (shepherds, chicken madras , as well as pastys, sweet pies, and scones. plus they stock snacks and sauces straight outta south central uk.

and a dispute regarding the allocation of the potato, cheese, and onion pie almost caused a divorce tonight.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:I drive past that Whole Foods daily. Next Swamp-up at the Corner Table!
Corner Table is the 2nd place I've convinced to go on BeerMenus so I can plan shopping trips around getting a good beer.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerrano wrote:as the fall begins in earnest tomorrow, you should make a trip to the pie store in montclair. the steak, ale and mushroom pie is the tits, but they have a lot of other savoury pies (shepherds, chicken madras , as well as pastys, sweet pies, and scones. plus they stock snacks and sauces straight outta south central uk.

and a dispute regarding the allocation of the potato, cheese, and onion pie almost caused a divorce tonight.
Next Arsenal Newcastle game, let's go for pies.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Office party today, and my (not so) secret Santa (whose daughter lives in Montclair) got me a steak, ale and mushroom pie. Holy crap. I was full from lunch and still ate two pieces.

Note the little cow shaped crust.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Speaking of Montclair, anyone been to Montclair Bread Company? The doughnuts got great reviews somewhere recently and great doughnuts are pretty much the best thing in the world.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Speaking of Montclair, anyone been to Montclair Bread Company? The doughnuts got great reviews somewhere recently and great doughnuts are pretty much the best thing in the world.

Nope.

Heading to this place for dinner tonight. It's not too far from the bakery above, but we're eating late and I don't think I can make a side trip.

This place makes my favorite donuts in (not North) NJ.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are they regular donuts or the clever kind? I want the clever kind and I want it closer than 23rd St.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote:Office party today, and my (not so) secret Santa (whose daughter lives in Montclair) got me a steak, ale and mushroom pie. Holy crap. I was full from lunch and still ate two pieces.

i fuckin' love that place. mrs. cerrano and i were talking about possibly picking up something from them tomorrow, and this post just might have sealed the deal.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Are they regular donuts or the clever kind? I want the clever kind and I want it closer than 23rd St.
They are made to order, but I'd say more regular than clever.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

cerrano wrote:
rass wrote:Office party today, and my (not so) secret Santa (whose daughter lives in Montclair) got me a steak, ale and mushroom pie. Holy crap. I was full from lunch and still ate two pieces.

i fuckin' love that place. mrs. cerrano and i were talking about possibly picking up something from them tomorrow, and this post just might have sealed the deal.
As mentioned up thread, I'm going out to dinner tonight, but I'm haunted by the leftover pie in my fridge. Knowwhatimean?
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote:
cerrano wrote:

As mentioned up thread, I'm going out to dinner tonight, but I'm haunted by the leftover pie in my fridge. Knowwhatimean?
if you need me to check on gus tonight while you're out tonight, just let me know.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

1. Where did that pie come from? I need to check this out

2. What is a clever donut?
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

cerrano wrote:as the fall begins in earnest tomorrow, you should make a trip to the pie store in montclair. the steak, ale and mushroom pie is the tits, but they have a lot of other savoury pies (shepherds, chicken madras , as well as pastys, sweet pies, and scones. plus they stock snacks and sauces straight outta south central uk.

replace fall with winter.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Clever is Doughnut Plant or Voodoo or something like that where its not just the standard glazed or cider. Nothing wrong with the latter, but that's easier to find.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Plain or cinnamon sugar are my favorites, so perhaps I don't appreciate the potential complexity of donuts enough. Fresh out of the fryer though. Yum.

Fantastic fucking steak last night. Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale on draft. House made Irish cream in my wife's Espresso Martini(s) and doled out with the bill for everyone at the table. Highly recommended, especially on someone else's dime.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If you all Union County residents get one of those calendars from your town with a bunch of adds and pictures from all over the county, check out May before you toss the thing. If it's a cute little girl standing in front of a Veteran's memorial, it's my kid. She's excited.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote:The place in Clark is quite literally right off exit 135...
Speaking of GSP exit 135!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I sent that out to my friends as the second time in a year plus that I've had some jersey pride. (First being the discovery of Kane.)

And that's aweskme about the calendar. I'm technically a grown-up and I'd still be fired up about being in a local calendar.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Anyone want to try this out again? Total Wine in South Orange has tasting classes on Thursdays. Thursday, April 16 is a Scotch class. It is $10, the beer events tend to be $5. Who's with me?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yo, Mr Dick!

Pre-game detente at the Corner Table this afternoon? I'll probably be bringing at least one kid to act as a mediator. Need to be in the 'wood from 3:30 to 4:30, so can do 2-3 or after 4:30.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm goddamn working this afternoon.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Aw. Inside? Good thing this just the nicest day of the year to date, and not THE nicest day of the year. Though there are no mosquitoes yet. And the allergens really haven't kicked in full force yet. And it isn't too hot, and no humidity. Have fun!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Started at 2:00, so we got some park time. And when I'm done, I'm grilling the fuck outta some burgers.

(Also, real bad list there last Tuesday. No IPA option, not even just a bad one.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Blue Moon White!

Nice. I just got back from about 2 hours at the dentist with kid #1, which I took on because kid #2 was laying a guilt trip on my wife for not attending her first soccer game of the season, and my wife was clearly falling for it. Now I need to go drop kid #2 off at choir practice for an hour. Plus I feel like I have a bit of a cold and may end up just making soup for myself for dinner/game tonight. So enjoy your beautiful grillable day, asshole.