The OFFICIAL Towns in North Jersey Discussion Thread ...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Towns in North Jersey Discussion Thread ...

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:26 pm Cold Brew Stracciatella?
That’s what my wife got. I went with honey lavender.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

fellow jersey denizens...
any interest in buying into a steer?

a friend and I are looking to split a steer --https://www.cedarridgefarmnj.com/our-meat comes out $4.75 a pound.. average cow is about 400lbs.. we'd like to split it 3 or 4 ways (cost and space).. i was already purchasing a large freezer anyway, so this makes good use of it.

lmk
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That sounds awesome but we only have the little fridge freezer. Curious to see the results and what you all get.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Timgod might wanna lay low for a bit.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Sorry about Andre Braugher, guys
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Ryan wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:28 pm Sorry about Andre Braugher, guys
I’m organizing a Morris-Essex-Union Joint County Memorial Service at the Whole Foods in Vauxhall, details TBA. MR. D is in charge of hamburger buns.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’d bring them from Ashley’s here in town. As he would have done.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

On the brighter side, didn't realize this guy was from Cranford. Really cool story:

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Me neither!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

What the hell is going on up there, fellas?

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Yeah, c’mon North Jersey guys. Don’t steer us wrong.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Andre Braugher dies and the whole place goes to shit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My brain saw that on twitter as "in Penn Station" and it was weird, but when I saw Newark I was like "this is impossible". Which doesn't make any sense.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:36 pm My brain saw that on twitter as "in Penn Station" and it was weird, but when I saw Newark I was like "this is impossible". Which doesn't make any sense.
I've seen a lot of weird shit in both Penn Stations, but never livestock! Hope I hear the story behind that, and glad my train doesn't pass through Penn Station Newark.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I feel like I saw some version of that previously, don’t think it was NJ specific and not sure if it was the same guy.

Our HS field doesn’t seem too odd from ground level, but if you hit it over the trees you’re in a True Jersey diner parking lot.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We had a little league field where there was a pretty busy street ~30 feet beyond the RF fence and it was the best thing ever. Only one I hit there during a game came up short but it was a perfect HR Derby field.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No flood chat this AM? Our street was flooded and the waves were coming about halfway up the sidewalk when cars went through this AM but nothing inside and its mostly gone once we cleared the storm grates.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:06 am No flood chat this AM? Our street was flooded and the waves were coming about halfway up the sidewalk when cars went through this AM but nothing inside and its mostly gone once we cleared the storm grates.
No, because I just finished cleaning out the flooded guest room. This fucking room, man. So many problems. I thought we had it all figured out (company that built my patio tried numerous things, eventually discovering a 6 inch diameter hole in the foundation to allow a 2 or 3 inch pipe in with no insulation). Final move was putting in a drain in front of the sliding door, as water once built up enough on the patio to come in over the lip of the door. He couldn't pipe the drain out until we redo our driveway, so it all empties into spot he planted a small tree. That well fills up, and the water comes in through the bathroom wall. Fortunately, I caught it before it got to the rug. After cleaning the room, I spent an hour outside with a wet vac draining the planting area. Just so much water coming down from the backyard! They put a sump pump in my backyard where it runs onto the patio. That drains to the other side of my house, and it was a shocking pond on that side. Grass barely grew there before the sump pump due to the neighbor's pine trees and side of the house preventing any sunlight, so I don't care about the flooding there as it moves away from the house. After all the sewage backups in this room, water was joy to clean.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry syb.

There was a hell of a lot of water in our backyard this AM, puddles where I don't recall seeing them before. And school wasn't canceled but we got multiple phone calls this AM from the district, one to let us know one of the HS entrances was closed because of flooding and one warning about road closures around town due to flooding.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Sorry, Syb.

Our district called a delay less than an hour before first bell. I was really thrilled to get that text while standing in my classroom.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We're super lucky with all that but knowing how many people here have the same, its just a matter of time. ~10 years until we can start looking at condos.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerranoredux wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:04 am Sorry, Syb.

Our district called a delay less than an hour before first bell. I was really thrilled to get that text while standing in my classroom.
This really wasn't a big deal, just annoying that the problem isn't 100% fixed. Need to redo the driveway anyways. Just last week, my wife talked about carpeting that room because the floor is freezing in the winter as it's tile directly on the concrete slab. We decided not to risk carpeting because of all the past issues. Also much easier to deal cleanup with since we added a shower in the bathroom. Got a robocall from the school an hour ago, closing the middle school early due to flooding. Haven't heard of that that in my 15 years in town. It didn't seem like THAT much rain, but driving around town this morning, seeing a lot of flooded yards and fast moving streams along the side of most roads. Town was out clearing sewar drains last night and this morning, could have been problematic if they didn't.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same here on calling it early. Oldest heard its because the cafeteria at the HS flooded and its easier to close the whole district versus just one (huge) school.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:37 pm Same here on calling it early. Oldest heard its because the cafeteria at the HS flooded and its easier to close the whole district versus just one (huge) school.
Weird, because I didn't think it rained that hard. Steady light rain all day yesterday, and moderate this morning. Was it crazy over night, or just a high water table to begin with?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It was raining really hard here from ~9:00 until atleast 1:00 AM here and looked pretty hard when we woke up too.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:43 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:37 pm Same here on calling it early. Oldest heard its because the cafeteria at the HS flooded and its easier to close the whole district versus just one (huge) school.
Weird, because I didn't think it rained that hard. Steady light rain all day yesterday, and moderate this morning. Was it crazy over night, or just a high water table to begin with?
This was by far the toughest ride to work (6:15) in 15 years and it wasn’t even snowing. It was pissing down in eastern Morris County.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

cerranoredux wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:48 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:43 pm
This was by far the toughest ride to work (6:15) in 15 years and it wasn’t even snowing. It was pissing down in eastern Morris County.
Drove my daughter into school early today at 7:00. Driving back it was still dark and I didn't see that my lane was completely covered in water. Felt bad for the guy next to me when I hit the water at 40 mph. In retrospect, it was deep enough I should have been worried driving through it and fucking up my car.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rass, I have some questions about the trivia winners this week. They seem pretty ... wide-ranging?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:40 pm Rass, I have some questions about the trivia winners this week. They seem pretty ... wide-ranging?
Ha, so did Syb. I'll DM.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And for a downer...

That was a beautiful restored Victorian-style home on the Hillside/Elizabeth border that we always passed taking our kid to her art/music school. I either didn't drive her last month or it was too dark so I didn't know, but yesterday I noticed the pile of rubble and the obvious damage (melted/burnt siding) to the neighboring houses. I can't find an update on whether they ever found her.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:40 pm Rass, I have some questions about the trivia winners this week. They seem pretty ... wide-ranging?
Ha! I gotta know if you had the same observation. One of the group looked like they didn't belong?
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In equation form, it was something like (8+2) x 2 = ???
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:58 pm In equation form, it was something like (8+2) x 2 = ???
Such a hilarious way to put it... I thought the first set was a little more believable.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watching the newest Indiana jones. Two things.

Is there a weird focus/refocus thing they’re doing with rapid cuts. Or am I imagining that?

Two
[+] spoiler
This big dude is getting killed by a plane or something right? He’s too on the nose. But since I guess it’s 1969 it will be sucked into a turbine? I have an hour left so I am just going by the nonstop throwbacks
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I saw that movie in North Jersey so this one isn’t completely random.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I was wrong.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We were in Jersey City yesterday for a track meet, and noticed an Italian “specialties” store front right across the street from where we parked. Got a couple of chicken cutlet sandwiches to take home, and even 4 hours later out of the fridge they were incredible.

Venti Italian Specialties, Academy St
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We all know Italians are the worst but the fact that you can almost guarantee good+ sub rolls is why they’re the kings and queens of delis.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Must have missed this part of the movie.