What the fuck is wrong with people (thread)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: What the fuck is wrong with people (thread)

Post by The Sybian »

Nice ad for Cellino Law! He and Barnes split before Barnes crashed his plane.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I honestly don’t even know where to begin with this one.

WTF is wrong with people?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:37 pm I honestly don’t even know where to begin with this one.

WTF is wrong with people?
This smells Russian.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Testimony before Congress about the failure of anyone in authority to stop Larry Nassar.

https://deadspin.com/how-much-is-a-litt ... t=deadspin
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Deleted
Last edited by pruitt2 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

pruitt2 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:51 pm Warning: This is just about the worst thing I've ever read. I only got about halfway through the story.

Just felt the need to post and ask rhetorical questions about humans.

David Fuller jailed for murder of two women and abuse of over 100 corpses
Headline says enough for me, thanks.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Yeah. I'm going to delete it. No one needs to read that.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Kent assistant police chief disciplined for posting Nazi insignia and joking about the Holocaust
An assistant police chief in Kent has been disciplined for posting Nazi insignia on his office door, embracing the rank of an official in Adolf Hitler’s dreaded paramilitary Schutzstaffel or SS — responsible for the murders of millions of Jews — and joking about the Holocaust.

Assistant Chief Derek Kammerzell was given two weeks off without pay by Kent Police Chief Rafael Padilla in July after an internal investigation concluded that Kammerzell knew full well the meaning of the insignia he posted above the nameplate on his office door in September 2020 — that of an SS “obergruppenfuhrer,” one of the senior-most ranks in the Third Reich. The insignia was taken down after four days when a detective in the investigations bureau, which Kammerzell commanded, filed a complaint.

Kammerzell currently oversees the department’s patrol division.

The investigation, conducted by an attorney at the Seattle law firm of Stokes Lawrence, concluded that Kammerzell’s claim that he didn’t know the significance of the insignia and had heard about it after being referred to the television series “Man in the High Castle” — where one of the main characters holds that rank — was not believable.
Wait...there's more:
Moreover, Kammerzell acknowledged during the investigation that he once shaved his facial hair into a “Hitler mustache” and repeatedly told a joke to the effect that his grandfather had died in the Holocaust — when he got drunk and fell out of a guard tower.

He downplayed both incidents to investigators, stating the facial hair was part of “Movember,” a beard-growing fundraising event held every November to spotlight men’s health issues, and that the joke was 20 years old. The investigation found his explanations were convenient and less than credible.

The Seattle Times obtained the investigative documents from a citizens group calling itself “No Secret Police,” which obtained them through a public disclosure request.

The investigation also references a photograph, taken during the city’s Octoberfest celebration in 2019, that appears to show Kammerzell, wearing lederhosen, giving the stiff-armed “heil Hitler” salute while standing behind Mayor Dana Ralph. Kammerzell explained that “someone may have taken a picture while they were waving.”
And he's just getting a 2 week suspension! He's not even getting fired!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If you're seeing #AmberTurd today...

#MePoo

If you've been tangentially following this story, Amber Heard is an unmitigated sociopath who's, on tape, admitted to hurting Depp in multiple ways and she's been getting away with everything while Depp has been ostracized. It's fucking disgusting and every man's nightmare.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Wedding spirals into chaos after bride allegedly laced food with pot
Jeffrey Belmonte feasted on meatballs, Caesar salad and bread with herb dip at his wife’s cousin’s wedding in Longwood, Fla. — and then felt strange, tingly and fidgety. His sister-in-law also became dizzy and found herself on her hands and knees, vomiting up her dinner.

Miranda Cady, who knew the bride through friends, ate the bread and olive oil, too. She later felt like her heart was going to stop. She went to her car and was so terrified she would die there, she sent herself a text so people would know what had happened to her.

Those were the accounts Danya and Andrew Svoboda’s wedding guests told deputies after the February reception. Their feelings of being stoned were later confirmed when they tested positive for marijuana. Investigators estimated about 50 people attended the wedding reception. None of the guests interviewed said they knew there would be marijuana in the food.

Now, Danya Svoboda and the wedding caterer, Joycelyn Bryant, have been charged with food tampering and the delivery of marijuana, both felonies, as well as negligence, a misdemeanor.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Newbs
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:42 pm
#MePoo
I love you man!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Vandal forces Johnny Cash silhouette to take a leak on his hometown
Leaders in Kingsland, Ark., have spent years branding the town as the ancestral home of Johnny Cash.

They put up cast-iron signs welcoming drivers to the “birthplace of Johnny Cash.” They slapped his silhouette on the town’s water tower. And they’re working with his estate to build a heritage center that will highlight his roots in the community.

Cash thanked them by taking a leak on his hometown.

And he kept leaking.

Last week, a vandal fired a well-aimed bullet into Cash’s crotch, or rather the crotch of the silhouette that was painted on the town’s 50,000-gallon water tower, Kingsland Mayor Luke Neal told The Washington Post. Over the course of about six days, the water tower version of the Man in Black streamed roughly 180,000 gallons onto the ground below.

“It looks like he's peeing off a water tower — man, people are going wild with it,” Neal said.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I think you meant to put this in the "What the fuck is RIGHT with people (thread)".

ETA: ok, using up the town's emergency water supply is bad. I get that. It's still pretty funny, at least until the whole the breaks like a Boston molasses tank on a hot day.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:17 am I think you meant to put this in the "What the fuck is RIGHT with people (thread)".
It was a hell of a shot, I'll give him that.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

People don't really realize the thin line we tread when it comes to our water supply. Like... 5 or so years ago a plant up north on the Potomac spewed some shit into the river that caused a massive sheen to spread down river. Major media market pretty much completely ignored the fact that 5 ginormous water systems' source water (pot river) was at risk. Like... 10 million ppl including DC's water supply was at risk. One local story and no one (politicians, citizens, enviro groups) came after us on it.

It was bizarre and I still don't understand the lack of attention/coverage on that one. They go batshit if we disrupt traffic, but shutting down drinking water for an entire region was a snoozer.

Johnny Cash pissing on a town for multiple days is gold.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This was a minor thing but it pisses me off a bit. I was at the bank and had to go inside to see a teller, which is a rare occasion. After the woman in front of me in line finished her transaction with the teller, she wheeled around to leave and swung her purse into a vase full of lollipops that was sitting on the counter, which then smashed into a thousand pieces on the tile floor. She then said, “Oh, you’re going to need a broom”, and abruptly left, without so much as an “”I’m sorry.”

Bitch.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Another minor but annoying thing: after the school day ends, I take my students to an upper field away from the playground next to the school. We do this because it's a shitshow in the playground with parents not watching their kids and parents trusting their kids to play unsupervised. However, I have to walk back and forth to let our kids into the building who are getting picked up or going to the bathroom. Because I have a badge, parents always go up to us either to ask to let their kid into the bulding to go to the bathroom (we're not allowed to let non aftercare students in and parents love that answer), or to solve some other problem. Yesterday, a woman goes up to me and asks if I work for the school. I say, "no, I work for the after school program," as I'm rushing back to our severely understaffed program. She then tells me that two kids are beating each other up on the playground and I have to do something about it. I tell her no and that I need to go back to the students that I'm paid to watch. She replies, "you're just going to let them beat each other up?!" So I said, "technically, you're just as responsible for those students as I am." And now I'm wondering if I'll hear from the principal next week because this is probably a parent that will call. She's also probably posting about me on the "what the fuck is wrong with people" thread on the female version of sportsfrog.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Here's a strange situation: We have a group of friends (5 other couples) that my GF has been friends with for years. Their kids all grew up with each other, and some of them went to UCSB together way back in the early 80's (my GF included). This group is called the 'Empty Nesters' and we've done lots of things together, including a trip to Hawaii, and a trip to Mexico for one of the kid's wedding. All of them are great people, and have welcomed me into the group.

Anyways, one of the couple's daughters is getting married in the summer of 2023, at their family cabin/house up on Lopez Island. And just a few days ago, the Mother of the Bride sent out an email to the other Nester women, saying that even though the guest list is currently at 120 people, they probably won't have capacity to invite the rest of the Nesters.

Ok fine whatever...but here's the weird part: She then says that they are going to be overwhelmed with all the work to put on this Royal Wedding, and was hoping that, even though we're not invited, we could come and help with the set-up, shuttling people from the ferry dock, clean-up, etc. And she offered to pay for lodging on the Island.

Now....that's pretty fuckin' rude, right? Like telling your friends of over 20 years that they can't come to the wedding, but can they be the hired help? When I heard about it, I just said 'There's no way in hell I'm doing that'.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Holy shit no way.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:18 pmHoly shit no way.
Ok...its just not me then.

My GF was trying to be understanding, saying 'Knowing her, she must be completely overwhelmed by things to ask something like this'. I said 'They are inviting 120 people, and can't accommodate 10 more? Or trim the invite list by 10?'. Because if we were going to the wedding, of course we'd jump in to help out however we could.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:21 pm

My GF was trying to be understanding, saying 'Knowing her, she must be completely overwhelmed by things to ask something like this'.
I said 'They are inviting 120 people, and can't accommodate 10 more? Or trim the invite list by 10?'. Because if we were going to the wedding, of course we'd jump in to help out however we could.
Things can be two things for sure, but WTF?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, that's not even close to OK. That's the type of shit that gets you roasted on Reddit or in an advice column.

I've been to lots of weddings, and been behind the scenes or adjacent to a number of others, as well, and really haven't seen anything I'd consider out of bounds. But I sure have read some shit that makes you wonder why people seem to lose their minds around weddings.

Is there anyone in the group that IS going to go? Additionally, regardless, is there anyone that is closer to this woman than others... Someone that could kind of gently let her know it's not cool to NOT invite this group to the wedding, but to ask them to serve as unpaid labor? Lodging is fine, but there are lots of associated costs with not being at your home (food, for one thing, for a group of 6-8 people).
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Your girlfriend is nice for giving this woman the benefit of the doubt, but it seems rude and tone deaf.

Does she not think that her friends would be offended? I can't imagine she did, otherwise why would she ask for help setting up an event from which they are been excluded from.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ask if she'll be providing the butler outfits or if you'll need to supply your own.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:45 pm Ask if she'll be providing the butler outfits or if you'll need to supply your own.
Gonna need someone with better photoshop skills than me to sub in Dave and his GF's faces for Adam Scott and Lizzie Caplan.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:21 pm

My GF was trying to be understanding, saying 'Knowing her, she must be completely overwhelmed by things to ask something like this'. I said 'They are inviting 120 people, and can't accommodate 10 more? Or trim the invite list by 10?'. Because if we were going to the wedding, of course we'd jump in to help out however we could.
If she is that overwhelmed, they either need to hire the appropriate people to make this wedding happen in the desired fashion (wedding planner, transportation company with dispatcher, cleaning company, etc.) or scale down the wedding to whatever is a manageable level. I have a hard time believing the friend group will not be permanently affected going forward.

It is one thing for your friends to volunteer to help with some stuff. It is another thing to ask them to help with something while being in the wedding party/a guest. It is a third thing entirely to ask them to be volunteer labor in lieu of attending.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

(And no to be a total asshole, but I've done my fair share of event planning in DC... 110 people? The fuck outta here, that's nothing. I have no idea what the set-up is, but people act like putting on a wedding is hard... It's as difficult and complicated (or not) as you want it to be. Spend the money on a coordinator and STFU. Acting like you're throwing a royal wedding with a little over 100 people. Bruh.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:51 pm (And no to be a total asshole, but I've done my fair share of event planning in DC... 110 people? The fuck outta here, that's nothing. I have no idea what the set-up is, but people act like putting on a wedding is hard... It's as difficult and complicated (or not) as you want it to be. Spend the money on a coordinator and STFU. Acting like you're throwing a royal wedding with a little over 100 people. Bruh.)
One of the complicating factors is that the daughter insisted on having it on Lopez, which is a small rural island, only accessible by ferry. I remember last summer the whole group was at their place on Lopez and they were talking about all the work they were going to have to do to make it happen.

But yeah...110 people? That's not that many...hell, another couple's daughter had her wedding in Mexico! With a whole 4 days of activities planned for everyone! And close to 250 people. And they made it work.

When I was hearing about all this, the only thing I could think of was the Sopranos episode where Artie and Charmane cater an event at Tony and Carmella's house:

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’m legitimately impressed by their level of crass.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Let us know if any other friends accept this “offer”.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:06 pm Let us know if any other friends accept this “offer”.
One couple already has responded with 'we will help in any way we can'.

There is one guy in this friend group, who I would call the 'curmudgeonly' (in a nice way) type...I asked my GF to try to imagine how he was reacting to this. We agreed that it was likely just an outburst of laughter, followed by a hearty 'fuck that'.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I agree it is crass, rude, ballsy, etc. but I have a similar friend group and if one of them pulled the same thing I would probably cave and help because we are so close and been friends for so long. I would assume good reason for me not to be invited.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:39 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:06 pm Let us know if any other friends accept this “offer”.
One couple already has responded with 'we will help in any way we can'.

There is one guy in this friend group, who I would call the 'curmudgeonly' (in a nice way) type...I asked my GF to try to imagine how he was reacting to this. We agreed that it was likely just an outburst of laughter, followed by a hearty 'fuck that'.
I'd pull the husband aside and nicely ask him, "what the fuck?"
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:23 pm I agree it is crass, rude, ballsy, etc. but I have a similar friend group and if one of them pulled the same thing I would probably cave and help because we are so close and been friends for so long. I would assume good reason for me not to be invited.
There's no way I'm taking vacation days to help out at a wedding I'm not invited to.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

came home late last night from the pub to a text message from a buddy down in MD.. call me he said.
i did. he told me to sit down, really, sit down.
what?
Tom's been murdered...remember he told us about that crazy ex student of his... guy walked in and shot him.
wtf. why. how. why? what.

we didn't go to HS together (although our schools were rivals) didnt' go to college together (although he was roomies with my friends) knew him for 30yrs. really got to know him by going on the annual ski/snowboard trip out west. great guy. nice guy. one of the smartest people i've ever met, academic. could talk any subject.
gone. shot. dead. made the national news. guy who did it got caught.

i've gone the day on and off. i mean we weren't close except that one week a year. no matter. he was a friend. boss told me to take the day. i've just tuned half my meetings off.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:30 pm came home late last night from the pub to a text message from a buddy down in MD.. call me he said.
i did. he told me to sit down, really, sit down.
what?
Tom's been murdered...remember he told us about that crazy ex student of his... guy walked in and shot him.
wtf. why. how. why? what.

we didn't go to HS together (although our schools were rivals) didnt' go to college together (although he was roomies with my friends) knew him for 30yrs. really got to know him by going on the annual ski/snowboard trip out west. great guy. nice guy. one of the smartest people i've ever met, academic. could talk any subject.
gone. shot. dead. made the national news. guy who did it got caught.

i've gone the day on and off. i mean we weren't close except that one week a year. no matter. he was a friend. boss told me to take the day. i've just tuned half my meetings off.
Was this the hydrology professor at Arizona? Terrible story...sorry for your loss.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yeah. him.
Thank you.