What the fuck is wrong with people (thread)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: What the fuck is wrong with people (thread)

Post by L-Jam3 »

Man, that's terrible, but I think your parental instincts are 100% on the money.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ryan wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:23 am Wow, awful. There's chats you don't want to have and then there's chats you didn't know you'd not want to have.
1,000% this. And the "confessional" thing I wrote proved true for me, as I was able to relax enough after posting to fall asleep before 2:30, so, again, my thanks.
[+] spoiler
They took the new information about as well as possible and eventually decided to still go this past weekend, as Sabo mentioned. It was probably for the best to see a bunch of friendly faces and have some fun.

The second child has been released from the hospital and the remaining one, who had to have surgery, is expected to be released soon. But, while it nothing has been confirmed publicly, the reporting is now getting to the mother's involvement.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

That’s a lot for your family to go through but it sounds like you and Mrs. DSG handled it with the right level of care along with pragmatism. I’m glad hear they were able to have a good weekend under the circumstances.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Damn. I was not expecting that.
[+] spoiler
Our next door neighbors had triplets just like that, two girls and a boy. They are a couple of years older than my oldest, so they were my sons' first friends and obviously they spent a lot of time together. Hard not to picture their faces reading that story.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just found out that a high school classmate was murdered in Florida over the weekend. She was riding her bike home from work Friday evening (I think it was Friday) and was attacked by a group of five people who beat her so badly she was hospitalized and subsequently died earlier today.

I didn’t know her very well to be honest, just kind of hits a little closer to home when it’s someone you actually knew.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Dsafe - the is an absolutely horrible thing to have to deal with.

I really hope that things are playing out as well as possible, but that is shocking.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:14 pm Just found out that a high school classmate was murdered in Florida over the weekend. She was riding her bike home from work Friday evening (I think it was Friday) and was attacked by a group of five people who beat her so badly she was hospitalized and subsequently died earlier today.

I didn’t know her very well to be honest, just kind of hits a little closer to home when it’s someone you actually knew.
Holy shit.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:14 pm Just found out that a high school classmate was murdered in Florida over the weekend. She was riding her bike home from work Friday evening (I think it was Friday) and was attacked by a group of five people who beat her so badly she was hospitalized and subsequently died earlier today.

Horrible. What the fuck is wrong w people?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:01 am

Horrible. What the fuck is wrong w people?
WEll we're on page 27 and still haven't figured it out.

Sorry fellas that's bad stuff all around.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Not sure I posted about it here. A couple of years ago, a high school roomate of mine (just one trimester) was stabbed to death in a home invasion in Richmond. Just totally random and awful. https://www.nbc12.com/2019/05/08/police ... are-check/

He was the kind of wise-ass funny guy that probably made a lot of people want to kick his ass. But I think this was just a random burglary.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A Wealthy Teenager, a 5-Star Hotel and a Bizarre Defamation Fight
The trouble began in August 2021, according to the claims in an unusual lawsuit filed in July, when Theodore Weintraub was 17 and attempted something of an American rite of passage: buying alcohol with a fake ID.

He tried, and failed, many times. But instead of going into a bodega or Midtown dive bar, he repeatedly chose the bar in one of Manhattan’s most exclusive hotels, attached to a restaurant run by the celebrity chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten, where a cheeseburger with fries costs $60.

Bartenders don’t see too many teenagers flashing fake IDs at establishments with a $14,500 bottle of wine on the menu, so Mr. Weintraub stood out. Again and again, staff members refused his increasingly aggressive attempts to buy a drink, the lawsuit said, until finally, in 2021, the hotel banned him entirely.

What happened next was at first annoying and then disruptive and eventually led to a series of events so bizarre and disturbing that the hotel, The Mark on East 77th Street on the Upper East Side, sued Mr. Weintraub, now 19, for defamation.

According to court papers filed late last month, Mr. Weintraub returned to The Mark earlier this summer, two years after his banishment, on a quest for revenge. It is unclear why he waited for two years to return, and he declined requests for comment.

Mr. Weintraub and another man, referred to as John Doe in the legal filings, became fixtures outside the hotel, the suit contends, chanting and holding protest signs saying “The Mark Denies the Holocaust,” “The Mark Spreads Disease” and “The Mark Supports Epstein,” in reference to Jeffrey Epstein, the convicted sex offender.

According to the lawsuit, first reported by Patch.com, they physically accosted hotel guests until, finally, a video shows, a sidewalk brawl erupted in July between the protesters and fans of the rap star Drake, who was staying at the hotel.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Just going to post that.

Kid's lucky he's rich (for many reasons) - poor black kid acts as deranged as that outside an exclusive hotel, God only knows what happens.
Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He gets jumped and killed by a former marine and half the country applauds the action?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So school starts Monday. Yesterday on the big middle school social media channel that pretty much all the kids are on...7th grader starts threatening shooting up the school next week. I live in a pretty affluent school district. Engaged parents, fairly democratic voting (the repubs basically send their kids to the Catholic school with the very good basketball team...son of Morgan Wooten is the coach). Police get involved and the school community email said it was a joke.....but not really the way you want to start the school year.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:14 pm Just found out that a high school classmate was murdered in Florida over the weekend. She was riding her bike home from work Friday evening (I think it was Friday) and was attacked by a group of five people who beat her so badly she was hospitalized and subsequently died earlier today.

Oh my god. This is horrible.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:47 am You don't need to read this. I'm writing this because I need to get it out and this place functions as a confessional of sorts.

I know that comes off as one hell of a fucking tease, but you don't need to read this. My family and friends are fine.

I'm sorry.

But, again, you don't need to read this.
[+] spoiler
We're supposed to drive to Connecticut tomorrow morning for my wife's aunt's 70th birthday party, but I can't sleep. I can't sleep because my wife and I had to tell our oldest last night about what happened to one of their friends.

One of their friends is a fraternal triplet from a set of two sisters and a brother. One of the sisters is not one of our oldest's closest friends, but still close enough to be one of about eight or ten friends invited to their 13th birthday party last month.

The triplets were all stabbed yesterday morning. They ran to a neighbor's house to get help and were taken to the hospital. One was released last night, but the other two remain in the hospital. One had to have surgery, but all three are expected to survive.

When they wake up tomorrow, we get to share that last bit of good news.

But, because they got an iPod a couple years ago and a cell phone for their birthday, they will undoubtedly be texting with a friend or friends about this. And they have at least one friend who is closer to the girls than they are. So, they will find out other things very soon. And we'd rather they hear it from us.

So, we will also get to tell them that, while it wasn't officially confirmed by law enforcement, sources told the paper that the triplets' mother is believed to be the suspect in the stabbing (911 dispatches state the neighbor said the kids were attacked by their mother with a knife). And that a suspect was found dead at their house from a self-inflicted gunshot.

We told them that they don't have to go to Connecticut and that I'd stay home with them. Or we'd all stay home, if they'd rather that. And we told them not to believe everything they hear because of the game "Telephone" or one person "heard" something and tells someone else, who repeats it as fact. And if they had any questions to ask us.

And it's getting to closer to 2am and my alarm is set for 6:30 so I can walk the dog and a bunch of other stuff to get ready to leave for this trip. But, we came to an agreement that I would wake them up at 8am to see if they want to go or not. And I'm already thinking about possibly not sleeping tonight.
Good lord, this one is even worse.

Why the fuck am I reading back in this thread?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Whole new world now but i'ma call that one middle school status quo
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

She hung a Pride flag at her shop. She was killed over it, officials say.
When a clothing store opened in Cedar Glen, Calif., in the summer of 2021, the owner hung a Pride flag at the entrance, her friends recalled. Whenever someone would tear down the flag, owner Laura Carleton would raise another one.

But after someone complained about the flag on Friday, the encounter turned deadly.

A man arrived at the store, Mag.pi, around 5 p.m. and criticized Carleton’s Pride flag before he shot her, according to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department. Carleton, 66, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »