"Tommy from Quincy" and Other Regional Variants

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: "Tommy from Quincy" and Other Regional Variants

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:But without San Bruno, where would we gas up our rental cars before returning to the airport?
Heh. I was thinking Danville for the bay. But maybe that's just East Bay.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

For Seattle, its either Enumclaw or Puyallup. Gotta work a goofy name in there whenever possible.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:
howard wrote:But without San Bruno, where would we gas up our rental cars before returning to the airport?
Oh man, I threw a pretty epic temper tantrum there once. At the gas station the the pump stops like it does when the tank is full. In auto-mode, I put pump back, drive to rental car place and don't even notice it's not completely full. The guy at the rental car place wants to charge me for it being 7/8ths full so I flip my shit, complete will peeling out onto the street to go back to the fucking gas station to put a few more gallons in.
First time returning a car at SFO, I missed the last gas station. Not another one within 5 miles. I had to return the car with 1/3 of a tank left at $13/gallon. Being my first week on the job and coming from government travel, I was worried. My boss laughed and said everyone misses the gas station, prepay the $5/gallon next time.

Nova Scotia has to be Kejimkujik Park

Ronkonkoma is a great one on LI. A college roommate was from there, and the one time I went there, his buddies were straight out of a movie where the one kid who makes it out goes home and realizes what a depressing set of losers his townie friends are becoming. We did get to tool around in a souped up handicap van for his friend with muscular dystrophy.

Hackensack doesn't work for me. After the SNL Derek Jeter's Taco Hole skit, I've always gone with Nutley. After very briefly looking in Nutley when we looked for our first house, Nutley is perfect.

I've always been partial to Altoona, PA and Peducah, Kansas.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If my oldest gets to weigh in, the NJ answer is "Buttzville".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Does Pittsburgh have an equivalent? It always seems like the most Pittsburgh-y people are from Pittsburgh proper.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Does Pittsburgh have an equivalent? It always seems like the most Pittsburgh-y people are from Pittsburgh proper.

The most Pittsburgh-y people are not from anywhere near Pittsburgh proper. I didn't cite Pittsburgh since I use so many of the suburbs in these references but the ones who sound yinzeriest are from way out there, like, Monessen or New Brighton or something weird like that.

Pittsburgh proper and its suburbs are like different worlds.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I had two college roommates who were from Butler. They are kind of the type, so maybe that's the Pittsburgh answer? For some reason, I knew several PA folks at Colorado State. Another good friend was from Lancaster. (SL, I also knew a woman from Meadville pretty well when I was in college - she's still a fb friend. Isn't that your hometown?)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Gunpowder wrote:Monessen
I've been on a grand tour of every town in the Mon Valley. The correct answer is any town in Mon Valley.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote:
I've been on a grand tour of every town in the Mon Valley. The correct answer is any town in Mon Valley.
I prefer the Mons valley, ammirite?

If Mr. D gets Buttzville, I'm offering up Coxsackie, NY.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ryan wrote:

.......why?

But yeah, those folks be the yinzeriest. People in Pittsburgh proper are from a different planet than these people.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote:I had two college roommates who were from Butler. They are kind of the type, so maybe that's the Pittsburgh answer? For some reason, I knew several PA folks at Colorado State. Another good friend was from Lancaster. (SL, I also knew a woman from Meadville pretty well when I was in college - she's still a fb friend. Isn't that your hometown?)

Butler is pretty out there and may be a bit more country Pennsyltucky-ish.

Meadville is where I went to college, 100 miles north of Pgh. I'm from Monroeville, which is like the Rodeo Drive of the Pittsburgh area. Standards are high out here.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Ryan wrote:USA - Atlanta

Nailed it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Atlanta - Marietta
I don't know, my sister lives in Marietta, and it seems really Leave it to Beaverish there. A never ending sprawl of planned developments, nothing older than mid-90s, with a clubhouse, pool, tennis courts... I don't think you need to travel much further to enter Deliverance Land.
-Pruitt