Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Post by Giff »

Is it ironic that people down here who demand you use sir or ma’am as a sign of respect are typically the ones who refuse to use one’s preferred pronouns?

I say down here because I assume this is a southern thing. I remember calling my high school girlfriend’s mom “ma’am” the first time I met her and she immediately told me to never call her that again. She was from Schenectady and hated those terms.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:31 am Sausage fest huh?
Ha! The female scenery was nice for sure and luckily I had my wife to distract me from being the creepy old dude looking at hot ex-college athletes all night.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:52 am yeah and related (and i feel like i may have brought this up before, apologies) is i can't have anyone call me "mister webster" - first of all, it's not my name, and second .... no. please please call me max ffs.

idk i know even with my relatively-young parents in the 80s it was considered a sign of respect and I do get that but I just cringe when i'm called mister and immediately insist on the first name with my kids' friends and have for years - i can't go for that. no can do.
Same and around here I never hear it. Everyone is addressed “_______’s Mom/Dad” as a proper noun unless the kid actually knows you well enough to know your name. The one weird thing I have noticed about this is I think kids (and probably adults) are generally less aware of last names than we were?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:24 am
MaxWebster wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:52 am yeah and related (and i feel like i may have brought this up before, apologies) is i can't have anyone call me "mister webster" - first of all, it's not my name, and second .... no. please please call me max ffs.

idk i know even with my relatively-young parents in the 80s it was considered a sign of respect and I do get that but I just cringe when i'm called mister and immediately insist on the first name with my kids' friends and have for years - i can't go for that. no can do.
Same and around here I never hear it. Everyone is addressed “_______’s Mom/Dad” as a proper noun unless the kid actually knows you well enough to know your name. The one weird thing I have noticed about this is I think kids (and probably adults) are generally less aware of last names than we were?
The ___'s Mom/Dad seemed to end around 1st grade with my kids' friends. The Mr. thing was weird, but I also felt weird telling a 7 year old to call me by my first name, so I got used to it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’m Mr. Blake to all their friends except a couple she’s known her whole life who call me Uncle.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Never, ever, ever said "sir" or "ma'am" to anyone growing up.

That all changed once I joined the military.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Had a big moment this weekend when my son and his friend asked me to play football with them. I throw the ball with my son a fair amount, but it's been a couple years since I covered him or ran a route against him. He's grown 8 inches and lifts weights regularly. Not to mention runs X-country and track. I actually started laughing on the first play because it was just so weird. He is about 3 inches taller than me now. Only saving grace was the small field as we had to play in the front because the backyard was too wet (pre-rainfall discussed in the N. Jersey thread!). I still beat him, but the tendon on the side of my knee is in bad shape 2 days later.

That was bad enough, but the reaction of his friend when I covered him and dove (ok, stumble-lunged) to knock down a pass... "oh my god, are you ok?" Or when he ran into me, "Oh man, I'm so sorry, are you ok?" Fuck off kid, I got 4 inches and 60 pounds on you, I'm not that old! He is an incredibly polite and thoughtful kid.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Here in Mayberry, when we are out walking the dog, most people greet each other. Any guy I don’t know who looks older then me gets a “good morning, sir”. The old boys seem to like that.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:55 am Never, ever, ever said "sir" or "ma'am" to anyone growing up.
Growing up Mormon, everyone at the Church was called "Brother <lastname>" and "Sister <lastname>". My parents still do that.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Whenever a younger female calls me 'sir' I just make sure to call her ma'am in response and that always gets a lol
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I have 365 days, 7 hours, and 34 minutes left of my 40s.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

I remember when we had a milkman.
Canadian International
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:31 pm I remember when we had a milkman.
Dad?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My HS class FB page suddenly revived as people are trying to rally to plan our 30th Reunion. Man, hearing people going to a 30th Reunion sounded like geriatrics not that long ago. Looked at the pictures of some of my classmates, and it's a shock when you haven't seen them or pictures of them in 30 years. Like, who is this obese grandmother? Fuck, that's ___? One woman in particular I would have guessed was 20 years older than me if I saw her on the street, but seeing the name, I could eventually see the girl I knew. That was major shock to the system.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:21 pm My HS class FB page suddenly revived as people are trying to rally to plan our 30th Reunion. Man, hearing people going to a 30th Reunion sounded like geriatrics not that long ago. Looked at the pictures of some of my classmates, and it's a shock when you haven't seen them or pictures of them in 30 years. Like, who is this obese grandmother? Fuck, that's ___? One woman in particular I would have guessed was 20 years older than me if I saw her on the street, but seeing the name, I could eventually see the girl I knew. That was major shock to the system.
What's wild about a 30-year reunion is that there are other folks having their 10-year reunion as well. And they weren't yet born when you graduated.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It gets worse...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:32 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:21 pm My HS class FB page suddenly revived as people are trying to rally to plan our 30th Reunion. Man, hearing people going to a 30th Reunion sounded like geriatrics not that long ago. Looked at the pictures of some of my classmates, and it's a shock when you haven't seen them or pictures of them in 30 years. Like, who is this obese grandmother? Fuck, that's ___? One woman in particular I would have guessed was 20 years older than me if I saw her on the street, but seeing the name, I could eventually see the girl I knew. That was major shock to the system.
What's wild about a 30-year reunion is that there are other folks having their 10-year reunion as well. And they weren't yet born when you graduated.
Well that sent me into a deep depression. Fuck!
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:34 pm It gets worse...
I went to the 25th year reunion and would not do it again.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah it was funny when Kelli thought we were two years away from our 25th and she felt like she lost 5 years off her life when I told her it was actually the 30th.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well, kids, I thought the 40th high school reunion was easily the best I've been to. The previous ones included some of the usual cast of bullshit characters you know - (A) People who used to be somebody, but aren't anymore, going back to relive their glory days, and (B) Other people who used to be nobodies, but now are somebodies, going back to rub it in everybody's noses. But, at least in my experience, at the 40th reunion, people at last seemed to have gotten over themselves, and were content to just hang out. I spent a fair bit of time chatting with folks I never knew in high school. I enjoyed myself.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My high school closed down in like 2006, but I think there was an "all graduating classes" night around 2013 that some folks put together. It went back several decades.

I just happened to be on leave in Boston at that time and went. It was fun, but not that many people from the co-ed graduating classes attended. Up until 1996, the school was all male. (Hooray Catholic School!) So there were lots of older dudes present and the younger folks all felt out of place.

There will likely never be another reunion for my school again and I'm cool with that. All the people from high I want to keep in touch with I can via social media.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:17 pm My high school closed down in like 2006, but I think there was an "all graduating classes" night around 2013 that some folks put together. It went back several decades.

I just happened to be on leave in Boston at that time and went. It was fun, but not that many people from the co-ed graduating classes attended. Up until 1996, the school was all male. (Hooray Catholic School!) So there were lots of older dudes present and the younger folks all felt out of place.

There will likely never be another reunion for my school again and I'm cool with that. All the people from high I want to keep in touch with I can via social media.
My school has nothing to do with the planning. A bunch of girls do all the planning and hold it at a restaurant or bar. For the 20, they did a family event at a huge park, kids all played, spouses watched the kids and we all caught up. Then dinner and drinks at a nice bar at night. Really good plan. We had a 10 and 20. Some people were asking about a 25, but nobody stepped up.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As Taylor Swift famously sang:
🎵 Karma is my boyfriend
Karma is a god
Karma is chipping off the inside half of one of your fucking teeth while eating a goddamn Oreo but because it doesn't hurt and they're super busy you can't get into the dentist until Monday afternoon so now you'll spend five full days non-stop worried about an instant shot of never-ending pain or the break getting even worse and oh by the way you seriously fucked up one of your teeth in your early 20s so you're pretty terrified of going to the dentist to start with
Karma's a relaxing thought 🎵
mister d wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:23 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:57 am
Ryan wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:48 am Chipped a front tooth and I don’t even know how or when.
That happened to me a few months ago. It was really annoying for a day or two, but it naturally smoothed itself out.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

thorry dude
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I am not envious.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Ouch! Know the feeling, but on an Oreo?

How stale was it?
Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It wasn't so I either did it earlier and the oreo finished the job or my english portion of my heritage is catching up real fast.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Got that shit cleaned out and filled and root canal scheduled for next Monday. Super fired up. Hoping to "pull a Brian".

BSF21 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:04 pm
brian wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:34 pm Root canal today wasn't bad at all, but now that novocaine is wearing off I can tell my mouth is gonna be sore tonight.
Take an Advil or two for sure for the next 48. Then you’re gold.
sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:27 pm Maybe a little sativa, too
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Re the above - you millennials are officially old if you are now to the point where you tell the young about "the good old days", like that guy is doing.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:43 pm Re the above - you millennials are officially old if you are now to the point where you tell the young about "the good old days", like that guy is doing.
I'm 40 now. So, yea. But what's nice is I haven't gone gray or bald yet, so if I cut my hair and shaved I'd look 10 years younger instantly.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:03 pm if I cut my hair and shaved I'd look 10 years younger instantly.
I had a great beard during Covid time. Most people complimented it, but my wife hated it because she said it added 15 years.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:04 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:03 pm if I cut my hair and shaved I'd look 10 years younger instantly.
I had a great beard during Covid time. Most people complimented it, but my wife hated it because she said it added 15 years.
As a hirsute man, I can grow a thick beard in a hurry, but the last time I tried (at my wife's suggestion) it lasted maybe ten days before she ordered it off. All white.
Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I haven’t shaved since new years but I don’t have a very fast growing beard so it’s there but nothing insane.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’ve had a beard for close to five years now and cannot fathom losing it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My Covid beard.

ImageImage
Last edited by sancarlos on Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:57 pm I’ve had a beard for close to five years now and cannot fathom losing it.
Like full full? I’ve had a beard (as in my razor has not touched my face) since The Atlantic City Incident of ~2008. My new years thing is no shaving (my face) at all which … I can’t fathom 5 years of, even at slow growth.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Kenny Rogers!
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:19 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:57 pm I’ve had a beard for close to five years now and cannot fathom losing it.
Like full full? I’ve had a beard (as in my razor has not touched my face) since The Atlantic City Incident of ~2008. My new years thing is no shaving (my face) at all which … I can’t fathom 5 years of, even at slow growth.
Um, full but I don't have a neck beard. I shave that part, but have had the full beard on my face since 2019. I've had hair covering my chin since 2008. My kids have never actually seen my chin.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh my god what if we restarted our chin beards at the exact same time???

I have the neckbeard (which is a gross term). Its actually way more symmetrical than I would have guessed but it still needs to go.