College Visits

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: College Visits

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:02 pm Anyone else having issues with the new GD FAFSA form? We got her account registered and started the form but paused, as it suggested, at the financial info section because it says if we wait a couple of days for them to verify her account that might be partially automated. Couldn’t get the Save button to work, but there was another menu option with a save and exit and that worked.

During that process we chose to invite a parent to collaborate, but when I try to register my account it just gets stuck on the contact info page. Clicking Continue spins for a sec, scrolls up to the top of the screen but doesn’t show any errors. The info is just address and phone #, nothing else.

Willing to try again tomorrow when support is available, and we’ve read of issues but this is annoying.
First 6 or 7 tries across several days the site was always down for maintenance. Finally able to complete it last night. Not much to it, basically asks for your info so they can access for tax returns, and list your assets.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

great
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:01 pm
rass wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:02 pm Anyone else having issues with the new GD FAFSA form? We got her account registered and started the form but paused, as it suggested, at the financial info section because it says if we wait a couple of days for them to verify her account that might be partially automated. Couldn’t get the Save button to work, but there was another menu option with a save and exit and that worked.

During that process we chose to invite a parent to collaborate, but when I try to register my account it just gets stuck on the contact info page. Clicking Continue spins for a sec, scrolls up to the top of the screen but doesn’t show any errors. The info is just address and phone #, nothing else.

Willing to try again tomorrow when support is available, and we’ve read of issues but this is annoying.
First 6 or 7 tries across several days the site was always down for maintenance. Finally able to complete it last night. Not much to it, basically asks for your info so they can access for tax returns, and list your assets.
Still had the same issue today (and tried a different browser and a different computer). Finally got through to chat after retrying that interface again and again and then waiting. They told me basically what you did. There are still issues creating an account, sorry, try again some other time.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:56 pm

Still had the same issue today (and tried a different browser and a different computer). Finally got through to chat after retrying that interface again and again and then waiting. They told me basically what you did. There are still issues creating an account, sorry, try again some other time.
It's definitely on their end. They tried to change the entire system, delayed the launch date, and still couldn't get it done on time. It really does take 10 minutes max to complete, so don't get too stressed over it.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Somehow my SSN had two numbers swapped. Not sure if I did it when creating the account back in December or my daughter when she sent the invite. Now when I go to edit my SSN it won't, even though the help section says that is what I should do.

My wife has the same issue when attempting to register. Enter in the information and click next and nothing. How back to the top of page three. No error message. No spinning circle. No response from initial email sent last week. Chat is worthless. And never anyone available when we call. Such s clusterfuck.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I just got off the phone with someone who works for a group here in Indiana to help students and parents with financial aid and such. She told me to skip entering in your address. When you click continue it will ask if you are sure, and say yes. It should proceed to the next step in the process. Will be testing this tonight when setting up my wife since they can't figure out how I can edit my SSN.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

duff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:47 pm

I just got off the phone with someone who works for a group here in Indiana to help students and parents with financial aid and such. She told me to skip entering in your address. When you click continue it will ask if you are sure, and say yes. It should proceed to the next step in the process. Will be testing this tonight when setting up my wife since they can't figure out how I can edit my SSN.
shit buddy that worked! thanks!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

For those of you with the FAFSA issues I was running an errand this morning and heard this story on NPR
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The boy took a hit last night. Rutgers Business School was his top choice, and last night he got waitlisted. We saw that Rutgers had 63,000 Early Action applications this year, which I think is double their norm. Business School is the hardest to get into, so I gave it a 50/50 chance. He did get into Rutgers Social Sciences and Engineering, but I think engineering is out now that he looked into it more. Trying to get him to realize their are majors in social sciences that can set him up nicely for the business/finance jobs he thinks he might want. Like he can major in data sciences and minor in any of the business school minors, or take a year of gen ed courses and transfer into the B-school. I genuinely don't know why he decided he wants to go into business or finance, other than the aptitude test he took told him that's what he should do. The kid is like a computer punch card, he does what he is instructed to the letter, with little ability to change course when the obvious reality changes what should be done.

Anyways, he was devastated and not ready to listen to alternative ideas. My wife spends way too much time in social media groups of parents whose kids are applying. Lots of posts from kids with 4.2 GPA and all sorts of great things on their resumes also got waitlisted, so not holding out hope there, and not advising him to wait until August and hope to get in. He has gotten into a couple good business schools, so we'll see what's more important to him, B-schools or Rutgers.
-Pruitt
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:56 am The boy took a hit last night. Rutgers Business School was his top choice, and last night he got waitlisted. We saw that Rutgers had 63,000 Early Action applications this year, which I think is double their norm. Business School is the hardest to get into, so I gave it a 50/50 chance. He did get into Rutgers Social Sciences and Engineering, but I think engineering is out now that he looked into it more. Trying to get him to realize their are majors in social sciences that can set him up nicely for the business/finance jobs he thinks he might want. Like he can major in data sciences and minor in any of the business school minors, or take a year of gen ed courses and transfer into the B-school. I genuinely don't know why he decided he wants to go into business or finance, other than the aptitude test he took told him that's what he should do. The kid is like a computer punch card, he does what he is instructed to the letter, with little ability to change course when the obvious reality changes what should be done.

Anyways, he was devastated and not ready to listen to alternative ideas. My wife spends way too much time in social media groups of parents whose kids are applying. Lots of posts from kids with 4.2 GPA and all sorts of great things on their resumes also got waitlisted, so not holding out hope there, and not advising him to wait until August and hope to get in. He has gotten into a couple good business schools, so we'll see what's more important to him, B-schools or Rutgers.
My wife read up on getting waitlisted when our daughter got the letter from IU. They get so many applications they send out the waitlist or request for them to submit another essay. This is to weed out those that may not be truly interested in the school.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

What does one do when they get admitted to a particular program and then decide that's not what they want to do with their lives like 97% of teenagers.

How would a 17 yr old know what they want to do professionally at 40?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I feel for you guys. We went through the same frustrating issues a few years ago. Good luck.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:04 pm What does one do when they get admitted to a particular program and then decide that's not what they want to do with their lives like 97% of teenagers.

How would a 17 yr old know what they want to do professionally at 40?
If you get good enough grades, you can always transfer to a different school within the university. That's what we need to work on with him, figuring why he wanted Rutger, and if he can get what he wanted from a different program there. Problem is, he doesn't know. I'm not too concerned, as he has good options. Just very thankful he got good news before getting this waitlist. Also got waitlisted at [redacted as it's a Swampcrash answer] on Wednesday. That school was an afterthought. Never visited, haven't looked at it much other than, "hey this is a great school you might like, if you get in we can visit).
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:04 pm What does one do when they get admitted to a particular program and then decide that's not what they want to do with their lives like 97% of teenagers.
Is it not as easy as just switching anymore? I walked in computer science and knew within a few weeks it wasn't for me, took a basic accounting class 2nd semester freshman year and fully switched for sophomore. Those two computer science classes just became electives, nothing really lost once I caught up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Got it. So maybe better question is why bother with admissions to particular programs. Just take what you want first year and then apply to majors? Mostly learning. I'll get the crash course next year
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:38 pm
Is it not as easy as just switching anymore? I walked in computer science and knew within a few weeks it wasn't for me, took a basic accounting class 2nd semester freshman year and fully switched for sophomore. Those two computer science classes just became electives, nothing really lost once I caught up.
When I applied to college, I didn't need to apply to a specific school within a university and didn't need to declare a major. Most of the schools my son applied to, you had to apply separately to different schools. And I don't mean Rutgers New Brunswick vs Rutgers Newark, but within New Brunswick, you apply separately to the B-school or the School of Arts and Sciences. You can try to transfer after a year, but I don't like taking the risk of going into a program he doesn't want and hoping he can get in next year.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My daughter didn’t get into one of the programs she wanted as a freshman so she went to her school undeclared. But she took the classes toward those degrees and kept applying to get into one of those majors. She found a relatively unknown major that was close to what she had been after and they accepted her in that as she began her junior year. So that’s one way it can be done.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:53 pmWhen I applied to college, I didn't need to apply to a specific school within a university and didn't need to declare a major. Most of the schools my son applied to, you had to apply separately to different schools. And I don't mean Rutgers New Brunswick vs Rutgers Newark, but within New Brunswick, you apply separately to the B-school or the School of Arts and Sciences. You can try to transfer after a year, but I don't like taking the risk of going into a program he doesn't want and hoping he can get in next year.
Everything about college seems so much worse than when we went.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:53 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:53 pmWhen I applied to college, I didn't need to apply to a specific school within a university and didn't need to declare a major. Most of the schools my son applied to, you had to apply separately to different schools. And I don't mean Rutgers New Brunswick vs Rutgers Newark, but within New Brunswick, you apply separately to the B-school or the School of Arts and Sciences. You can try to transfer after a year, but I don't like taking the risk of going into a program he doesn't want and hoping he can get in next year.
So true. OTOH, they are now indoctrination factories for Woke Leftist Communist Marxists, so we have that going for us.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:53 pm
That part above totally blows. Yes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just got an email from Rutgers, applications were actually up 66% over last year! Seen similar statistics from a number of schools my son applied to. I think part of it is they moved to something called the Common App, where you fill out one application and 100s of schools accept it. A lot of schools add additional essays, but when they don't, you can just click a box to add another school to receive your application. My son added some schools he probably wouldn't have bothered to fill out a separate application if required, so it makes sense. Just makes it harder to get into the school you really want. Similarly, he got accepted to schools he wouldn't have applied to and knocked some kid onto the waitlist.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

this whole process.. is completely different than what i remembered the first time around..

boy is still waiting for hsi first choice, but likely will pull the trigger before he hears.. he is intent on running track and has an offer on the table (not scholarship money, but grant money) but he's gotten into better (and pricier) schools.. so he's intent on going where he met the coach and coach told him they want him rather than the long play for the better school.. i'm just not sure how we pay for them.. we don't want him to take on the loans but with two others waiting in the wings down the road, its a tough decision. doesn't help that he continuously switches what he wants to study (hey, i'm still trying to figure out what i really want to do... so i get it).. on my end i'm ok w either school - the missus just wants the better school period.
oy.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:21 pm this whole process.. is completely different than what i remembered the first time around..

boy is still waiting for hsi first choice, but likely will pull the trigger before he hears.. he is intent on running track and has an offer on the table (not scholarship money, but grant money) but he's gotten into better (and pricier) schools.. so he's intent on going where he met the coach and coach told him they want him rather than the long play for the better school.. i'm just not sure how we pay for them.. we don't want him to take on the loans but with two others waiting in the wings down the road, its a tough decision. doesn't help that he continuously switches what he wants to study (hey, i'm still trying to figure out what i really want to do... so i get it).. on my end i'm ok w either school - the missus just wants the better school period.
oy.
at least you have 15 years to restock the coffers!
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

seeing my girls go through the application process was a definite shock with the Common App process - it's crazy isn't it? And yeah as a result it seems that applications are dramatically/exponentially up absolutely everywhere. We were way too laissez-faire about "sure apply any/everywhere you want" which gets crazy expensive (although when you just mentally fold it into a freshman year payment you forget about it pretty quickly). It's kind of (more than kind of) unfair to apply to >10 schools [which STILL blows my mind that we didn't reign that in...ah well] because you're just making it difficult for everyone else (let alone yourself trying to choose if you get into a bunch of them), but yeah that's the game and you kind of have to play it now.

Feels slimy even saying that.

I applied to 4 when I was a senior. Good old "tear out the application from the back of the university booklet" and mail it in. You almost can't apply to just 4 schools anymore.

KidB last year applied to Northeastern which - showing how out of touch I was, going on mental data from c1987 - I figured ok good school and you'll get in there no problem (i.e. safety school) .... I think they had 100k applicants last year. what the hell.

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:56 pm Just got an email from Rutgers, applications were actually up 66% over last year! Seen similar statistics from a number of schools my son applied to. I think part of it is they moved to something called the Common App, where you fill out one application and 100s of schools accept it. A lot of schools add additional essays, but when they don't, you can just click a box to add another school to receive your application. My son added some schools he probably wouldn't have bothered to fill out a separate application if required, so it makes sense. Just makes it harder to get into the school you really want. Similarly, he got accepted to schools he wouldn't have applied to and knocked some kid onto the waitlist.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Here's a new twist. The boy got an acceptance from U Maryland College Park (2 pt Swampcrash). He was excited, but my wife had seen a lot of people complaining online that the acceptance was for the Spring semester next year. Son read it closer, sure enough, congrats, but you can't start until Spring. Looked into it, and you can enroll in Fall for something called Freshman Connect. Looks like you can take online courses from home, or live on campus and take classes "outside of peak times." So fucking weird. Do that many kids drop out after the first semester? I'm not too upset, as Maryland out of state is double the cost of the offers he currently he has, and from what I've seen, they give very little in merit to out-of-state students.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:03 pm Here's a new twist. The boy got an acceptance from U Maryland College Park (2 pt Swampcrash). He was excited, but my wife had seen a lot of people complaining online that the acceptance was for the Spring semester next year. Son read it closer, sure enough, congrats, but you can't start until Spring. Looked into it, and you can enroll in Fall for something called Freshman Connect. Looks like you can take online courses from home, or live on campus and take classes "outside of peak times." So fucking weird. Do that many kids drop out after the first semester? I'm not too upset, as Maryland out of state is double the cost of the offers he currently he has, and from what I've seen, they give very little in merit to out-of-state students.
I would hope they charge less in this scenario
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

More weirdness today. Sidenote, my son applied to Penn State U Park early action the same day he applied to all of his other schools. He never heard back, and I saw they said everyone received notice on December 24th. Turns out they received his SAT score late and didn't count him as early action. Heard back today, and he got a weird admittance to Penn State Harrisburg, but U Park's business school. I'm trying to decipher, but it looks like it's 2 years at Harrisburg but admitted to U Park business, and you can transfer after 2 years. On the plus side, tuition at Harrisburg is $20k a year less, plus they offered a partial scholarship.
-Pruitt
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

They are really trying to push freshman to the other campuses. I don't know much about Harrisburg, but if he's trying to get in to UP you may be able to get them to reconsider by switching to summer enrollment or say he's only interested in UP. Summer is a great option to slowly get acclimated and it's mainly freshman. So it's a great way to meet other students in a small campus before the other 40K students arrive in fall.

They had a massive number of applicants this year. Which still shocks me with the out of state tuition. Campuses are an ok option for some because it eases you into College and offers more opportunity for athletics.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

so another delay on FAFSA getting info out to the schools... so schools wont' have packages until May?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

testuser2 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:57 pm They are really trying to push freshman to the other campuses. I don't know much about Harrisburg, but if he's trying to get in to UP you may be able to get them to reconsider by switching to summer enrollment or say he's only interested in UP. Summer is a great option to slowly get acclimated and it's mainly freshman. So it's a great way to meet other students in a small campus before the other 40K students arrive in fall.

They had a massive number of applicants this year. Which still shocks me with the out of state tuition. Campuses are an ok option for some because it eases you into College and offers more opportunity for athletics.
I think it might actually be a good thing for my son. Looks like Harrisburg is about 5,000 students. Out of state at H-burg is less than Rutgers in-state, plus the scholarship makes it the least expensive of all his options, and he'll get the UP degree. I don't like the idea of knowing you are transferring after 2 years, that would affect me in making friends and creating a life at college if I knew I was leaving halfway through. I was just caught off guard because I didn't realize he applied to H-burg. I guess it was free to add a second campus, so he clicked the button. From my extremely limited research, the knock on H-burg is that it doesn't have a party scene and the students tend to be more focused on their studies, so that's a plus for him.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:06 pm More weirdness today. Sidenote, my son applied to Penn State U Park early action the same day he applied to all of his other schools. He never heard back, and I saw they said everyone received notice on December 24th. Turns out they received his SAT score late and didn't count him as early action. Heard back today, and he got a weird admittance to Penn State Harrisburg, but U Park's business school. I'm trying to decipher, but it looks like it's 2 years at Harrisburg but admitted to U Park business, and you can transfer after 2 years. On the plus side, tuition at Harrisburg is $20k a year less, plus they offered a partial scholarship.

(They have a pretty good D3 soccer program.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:31 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:06 pm More weirdness today. Sidenote, my son applied to Penn State U Park early action the same day he applied to all of his other schools. He never heard back, and I saw they said everyone received notice on December 24th. Turns out they received his SAT score late and didn't count him as early action. Heard back today, and he got a weird admittance to Penn State Harrisburg, but U Park's business school. I'm trying to decipher, but it looks like it's 2 years at Harrisburg but admitted to U Park business, and you can transfer after 2 years. On the plus side, tuition at Harrisburg is $20k a year less, plus they offered a partial scholarship.

Wrong kid.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:36 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:31 am

Wrong kid.
(That's why I put it in parens... Random comment.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Anyone know any current students or recent grads from Rutgers, Seton Hall, Binghamton or UConn? Want the boy to speak to someone to get a students view to help him decide.

Went to Penn State Harrisburg yesterday, and it doesn’t matter how great UPark might be, not worth suffering 2 years at H-burg. Worst campus I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been to SUNY Albany several times.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Road trips. Got to find em in their natural habitat
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:38 pm My wife took both kids and one of the oldest’s best friends to visit Fordham last week and all four of them fell in love with the campus. Bumped it up the list a bit.

Oldest had an official visit with NJIT yesterday and today. They weren’t really on her list at all, but their coach is friends with her HS coach and the NJIT coach really made her feel wanted. It was a lot nicer than I expected, and they have a very new and very nice athletic events center (the wall outside the basketball coaches office is plastered with photos from the 2014 victory over Michigan).

It’s a good school and they have what she wants academically and the coach arranged for her to have a meeting last night with a pre-med advisor that she says she got a lot out of. It’s D1 but an overall smaller XC/TF team than Rutgers, and she liked how close knit the NJIT team seemed to be.

Cons are how close to home it is, and that she’d probably join the team as by far (currently) the fastest mid-distance girl. And it’s urban, but it’s Newark.

So not at the top of her list but not off the list. Might be difficult for her if they give a ton of cash.
Or not. Seems they want give her a full ride and she really isn’t interested. Too small (area and enrollment). Too close to home. Too insular. No football team. I can’t argue with any of that. She only gets to do this once.

Debating whether she wants to use this to take one more try at prying more money from Fordham but she’s about ready to commit to Rutgers.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:59 am Road trips. Got to find em in their natural habitat
Already tried this approach, Campus Security escorted off the premises. We've done official tours of all the schools he got into, except NJIT, but much like Rass' daughter, he wasn't interested once he looked beyond the school's ranking. WSJ listed that at something like 18th overall school in the country and that had him intrigued. My F-i-L made a great point that frankly I'm surprised my son cared about, "it's a science and engineering school, there probably aren't many girls, you should look into that." Sure enough, 25% female. He applied to their Business school, which supposedly has an emphasis on tech industry. Not sure if he has any interest in tech. With a small merit scholarship, NJIT is his least expensive option, but I'm not sure if we are even going to take a tour.

Still waiting on UConn, who release early action decisions in 2 weeks and waiting on merit awards from Delaware. I here they don't give much out of state, but my cousin's daughter got a full ride out of state. I'm ready for a decision to be made, but it looks like they are extending decision dates to June 1st, since FAFSA is fucked up and delayed yet again.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You've got your answer. Kicked off campus by the cops?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:25 pm You've got your answer. Kicked off campus by the cops?
Sorry, should have said escorted me off the campus. Just joking since you said I should find students in their natural habitat. It's hard to get a good feel for student life on these tours, especially since most of the tour we went on were either weekends or when school was out, so very few students around. Seton Hall is going all out with constant webinars, admitted student tours, Business school activities including a party at the Intrepid Museum (decommissioned aircraft carrier in NYC) and dinner with the Dean. Son's friend turned down a full ride to Seton Hall and since then, my son soured on the school. It's the lowest in the rankings of schools he applied to, but I feel like it'd be a great fit for him socially and they provide a ton of personalized attention with advisors and career counselors and providing internships. I feel like he would get more opportunities at a smaller school than a giant state school where he would have to work to get opportunities, and he just isn't a networking or actively working to get to know the professors kind of kid.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Were you given a corsage? Go on a Tuesday and let him see for himself.