Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: College Visits

Post by rass »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:53 am
rass wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:34 pm
EdRomero wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:50 pm I'm at Nantasket Beach right now which is less than an hour away with no annoying Cape Cod traffic.
I think I saw that on the map. If she’s up to it and I can reasonably expect to not get stuck in hours worth of beach traffic that’s what I’m talking about.
It's about 30 minutes away from the highway and GPS takes me a different route everytime. I always managed to avoid peak traffic times so I don't know how bad it can get, but there is no way it's as bad as going to the Cape.
Thanks so much for this recommendation. Trip was painless, I’ve never been on a proper NE beach and Nantasket was great. I love shore towns and the little different things (sea walls, camping out on the rocks) were cool. We went all the way to the end at the Point, saw the city through the haze of the sun going down and had dinner at Shipwreck’d which if not for rhe portapotties would have been a perfect little spot.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

rass wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:04 pm
EdRomero wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:53 am
rass wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:34 pm
EdRomero wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:50 pm I'm at Nantasket Beach right now which is less than an hour away with no annoying Cape Cod traffic.
I think I saw that on the map. If she’s up to it and I can reasonably expect to not get stuck in hours worth of beach traffic that’s what I’m talking about.
It's about 30 minutes away from the highway and GPS takes me a different route everytime. I always managed to avoid peak traffic times so I don't know how bad it can get, but there is no way it's as bad as going to the Cape.
Thanks so much for this recommendation. Trip was painless, I’ve never been on a proper NE beach and Nantasket was great. I love shore towns and the little different things (sea walls, camping out on the rocks) were cool. We went all the way to the end at the Point, saw the city through the haze of the sun going down and had dinner at Shipwreck’d which if not for rhe portapotties would have been a perfect little spot.
Awesome. We tried to go to Shipweck'd for lobster rolls but it was closed with some strange 4th of July week hours. My mother's childhood friend had a summer cottage on W street, but she passed away and it was just sold, so I tried to get there a lot this summer. The cottage was purchased in the 70s for $13k, and now it just sold (with no heating or installation and a bathroom with a tub but no shower and another bathroom with a shower but no sink) for over $600k
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Got the greatest mailing from something called Rivier University a few weeks ago. If you apply within 24 hours of scheduling a tour, they will waive the essay and references requirements. And if you sign a non-binding acceptance letter at the end of the tour, you get a FREE ICE CREAM!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:56 pm Got the greatest mailing from something called Rivier University a few weeks ago. If you apply within 24 hours of scheduling a tour, they will waive the essay and references requirements. And if you sign a non-binding acceptance letter at the end of the tour, you get a FREE ICE CREAM!
2 minutes from here. Is the ice cream from Hayward’s?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:19 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:56 pm Got the greatest mailing from something called Rivier University a few weeks ago. If you apply within 24 hours of scheduling a tour, they will waive the essay and references requirements. And if you sign a non-binding acceptance letter at the end of the tour, you get a FREE ICE CREAM!
2 minutes from here. Is the ice cream from Hayward’s?
It didn't specify. Probably worth driving the 4.5 hours for a shot at a free Hayward's, right?
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:25 pm Yes

https://haywardsicecream.com/ice-cream-flavors
I'm sold after only seeing two flavors (Appalachian Trail and Banana Cream Pie).

Just went to the University website, that's a beautiful campus! The Science and Innovation Center looks incredible. They need to work on their advertising, both my wife and I separately asked if it was a summer camp or a college.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I can’t speak to the wonder of Hayward’s but Cornell had a creamery they are apparently very proud of (not free).

Reality is edging into this process as the initial unofficial review of our high level financial info from Northeastern’s coaches was that she’d get next no money from them and probably not even an official visit and holy shit is that school expensive. She is (not bragging too much) an exemplary student at a highly regarded public HS so hopefully that helps at schools that do merit scholarships (not NE).

Pitt finally hired a new distance coach so she’s going to start hitting them up again.

Rutgers looking better and better in terms of price so glad she likes it enough and so far that’s the only official visit she’s been offered. We’re heading to WV for a family wedding in September and I think we’re stopping at GWU on the way since their staff reached out to her.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

If the financial aid isn’t enough, maybe she could walk dogs or deliver DoorDash? Are there malls in Massachusetts?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:35 pm If the financial aid isn’t enough, maybe she could walk dogs or deliver DoorDash? Are there malls in Massachusetts?
Yeah! I visited two last weekend.

Meant to take romero and citgo to task for not mentioning that there was what has to be one of the last surviving Hooters right up the highway from where I stayed.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:35 pm If the financial aid isn’t enough, maybe she could walk dogs or deliver DoorDash? Are there malls in Massachusetts?
or she could the take the super reliable and convenvenient Green Line to Newton and join the wonderful school age care industry
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:17 pm I can’t speak to the wonder of Hayward’s but Cornell had a creamery they are apparently very proud of (not free).

UConn's tour and literature constantly boasts about their on-campus creamery. I was bummed we didn't get a chance to stop in when we visited. I think it's over 100 years old and they source their milk from cows in the ag school or something. I was more interested in the final product.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Hooters are everywhere here. They all suck but 0 have closed down
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:38 pm

Meant to take romero and citgo to task for not mentioning that there was what has to be one of the last surviving Hooters right up the highway from where I stayed.
Last surviving Hooters? Tell me you're not touring schools in Florida without telling me you're not touring schools in Florida.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:23 pm
rass wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:38 pm

Last surviving Hooters? Tell me you're not touring schools in Florida without telling me you're not touring schools in Florida.
They still exist in NJ, too. I drive past one on the way to my daughter's soccer practice. (Exit 12 off 287 in Manville, Rass) It's on the ground floor of a rundown Clarion hotel, so you can take your waitress upstairs. One stop shopping!
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fair enough
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Summary of College Road Trip with my son

1.) Two week academic program at Harvard. Really enjoyed it. Cambridge was a good town but Harvard felt less like a campus and more of a tourist destination. Really liked Boston.
2.) Brown- Nice campus and good part of Providence. Pretty dead in the summer but liked the vibe.
3) Yale- Drove into New Haven and he was a bit taken back by the city at first. But by the time we started getting our bearings he was adjusting. Does seem like Harry Potter world.
4.) Princeton- Kid feel in love with the school, campus, town, and programs. Moved to #1 over Georgetown based on some of the academic programs. Also the boathouse was great. Kid needs to get faster on his 2k to get recruited. Heavyweight coach asked if he was a Cox or rower when we looked around. A bit of a kick to my sons ego. Also had an AMAZING sandwich from Hoggie Haven (which I remembered from 1995 when I coached lacrosse camp at Princeton).
5.) Haverford- Did not connect for my son. Did not like the location or campus. Some of this may have been it was evening after a long few days.
6.) JHU- Liked the campus and intrigued by the 5 year bachelors + masters program for his area of interest. Enjoyed lunch in Hamden and then my wife made a wrong turn going home and got a real feel for Baltimore. Also no Crew team (varsity was dropped and the school sold its gear for pennys so not even a club program).

At Harvard my son learned that he really liked doing his school work at the library. So we spent a good bit of time wandering the stacks at each of the schools. Interesting to see each schools approach to the libraries and work spaces. With the rise of the internet, some schools have gone more coffee workspace, team rooms, and such. Others have tried to keep the leather chair, smoking room, cool lamps, and wood desk vibes. Brown just said...no changes but lots of broken Herman Miller Aeron chairs for students.

This year he has PSAs, SATS, a full load of APs and key rowing seasons (and shooting for a few internships that will look good)...so we will see if any of these schools are still in play.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

just dawned on me how weird it is to read every post here and think that i'm never doing college visits again. fk. /old

(we take kidB to Pitt next monday night)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Those are all good options imo

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:21 am Those are all good options imo
Hot take! No free ice cream at any of those schools? No pressure to sign a non-binding acceptance letter?

We've walked around Princeton and the campus numerous times. Amazing campus, cute little downtown, and I think Princeton grads I know love their school more than alumns of any other school.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A friend just texted a picture of their daughter's dorm hallway from when they were moving her in this morning (Va Tech). Just the finest cinderblock walls and a thin, beaten-down carpet worthy of a fire.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:59 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:21 am Those are all good options imo
Hot take! No free ice cream at any of those schools? No pressure to sign a non-binding acceptance letter?

We've walked around Princeton and the campus numerous times. Amazing campus, cute little downtown, and I think Princeton grads I know love their school more than alumns of any other school.
Have you met any Notre Dame grads, they absolutely love their school more than any other alums I have met.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:39 am1.) Two week academic program at Harvard. Really enjoyed it. Cambridge was a good town but Harvard felt less like a campus and more of a tourist destination. Really liked Boston.
I think time of year probably affected the touristy feel. Like Harvard Square is a point of interest and its an open campus, but it never felt overcrowded or overwhelming otherwise we would have avoided it on normal walks.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Girl spent a couple weeks doing science stuff at VA tech and stayed in what looked like their standard campus dorms. Dormish but way more than just ok. And the stone on outside of all the buildings made it not quite quaint but interestingly uniform. Plus hoops courts and sand volleyball and eating spaces in every dorm quad area = all anyone needs

Lol to shock and horror at New Haven.... Yale is here!?!?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:38 am Lol to shock and horror at New Haven.... Yale is here!?!?
We ate at Pepe's and then walked from their to an ice cream place that had good reviews. Cities are just gritty and the homeless population in New Haven was very present and concentrated.

Also Yale's admissions tour was the same as the tourist tour. Really weird. For a big group there were only 3 kids actually on the tour for school consideration. Everyone else was vacationing in New Haven?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:38 am Girl spent a couple weeks doing science stuff at VA tech and stayed in what looked like their standard campus dorms. Dormish but way more than just ok. And the stone on outside of all the buildings made it not quite quaint but interestingly uniform. Plus hoops courts and sand volleyball and eating spaces in every dorm quad area = all anyone needs

Lol to shock and horror at New Haven.... Yale is here!?!?
Childhood friend played soccer at Yale. He said they had to take a bus through the worst section of New Haven to get to the practice field and the locals liked to use Yale busses for target practice. Said their buses had bullet holes and took a hit once while he was onboard.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:40 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:38 am Lol to shock and horror at New Haven.... Yale is here!?!?
We ate at Pepe's and then walked from their to an ice cream place that had good reviews. Cities are just gritty and the homeless population in New Haven was very present and concentrated.

Also Yale's admissions tour was the same as the tourist tour. Really weird. For a big group there were only 3 kids actually on the tour for school consideration. Everyone else was vacationing in New Haven?
Gilmore Girls fans

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Kind of shocked to hear crew is gone at JHU. That group was very visible back in my day.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:37 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:40 am

Gilmore Girls fans
OMG, it's Rory's coffee cart! And the dining hall where Rory got coffee! And the other coffee cart! And the cafe where Logan bought Rory coffee!

I wonder if mixing prospective students with tourists is a summer thing. Most schools limit tours during the summer, so I'd bet they have student-specific tours during the school year.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Grandma Gilmore (whatever her name was) lives in my town and is supposedly very nice.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I was recruited to the J school at CMU so since I had to go to a state public school more or less that was that. But good on all y’all’s kids for having more options.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:41 pm I was recruited to the J school at CMU so since I had to go to a state public school more or less that was that. But good on all y’all’s kids for having more options.
Reminds of my father’s comment. “I’ll pay your tuition and books anywhere you want to go. Provided it’s an in-state, public school.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:31 pm
BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:41 pm I was recruited to the J school at CMU so since I had to go to a state public school more or less that was that. But good on all y’all’s kids for having more options.
Reminds of my father’s comment. “I’ll pay your tuition and books anywhere you want to go. Provided it’s an in-state, public school.”
Ha, so similarly to my father, and it’s the best advice he ever gave. “If you go to a SUNY school, I’ll pay for it. If you go to a private school, you’re not going to see a fucking penny.” Choosing a school was so easy for me, I knew I was going to a SUNY, I wanted a big school, so I was down to 4 choices. I could walk to Binghamton from my parents house, so that was out. Stonybrook is on Long Island, so that was out. Albany is the ugliest campus I’ve ever seen, and I hated it there. So it was Buffalo.

Went to visit a friend at Albany Freshman year, and I wanted to get the fuck out every second I was there. I was convinced I died there in a past life. Did I mention smoking a 6 foot bong and then Northern Lights later? Could be a correlation.

OTOH, that campus was the site of my only threesome, so it’s not all bad
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:44 pm
Ha, so similarly to my father, and it’s the best advice he ever gave. “If you go to a SUNY school, I’ll pay for it. If you go to a private school, you’re not going to see a fucking penny.” Choosing a school was so easy for me, I knew I was going to a SUNY, I wanted a big school, so I was down to 4 choices. I could walk to Binghamton from my parents house, so that was out. Stonybrook is on Long Island, so that was out. Albany is the ugliest campus I’ve ever seen, and I hated it there. So it was Buffalo.

Went to visit a friend at Albany Freshman year, and I wanted to get the fuck out every second I was there. I was convinced I died there in a past life. Did I mention smoking a 6 foot bong and then Northern Lights later? Could be a correlation.

Let me guess...she lived in Canada and no one knows who she is.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:00 pm

Same with the other guy.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:13 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:00 pm

Same with the other guy.
Just assumed it was Mike and two other guys. That is what college is about.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ha. You get no respekt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:02 pm Ha. You get no respekt
Yeah, no shit. I did get a good laugh out of it.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:46 pm Kind of shocked to hear crew is gone at JHU. That group was very visible back in my day.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, that's really interesting. I can understand why the student athletes were upset, but I can also see an AD that was prepping for entering the B1G building a new facility and trying to trim costs. Btwn transportation and the equipment, crew ain't cheap.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.