Nature is Awesome and/or Hilarious

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Nature is Awesome and/or Hilarious

Post by The Sybian »

So when a python swallows you whole, do they squeeze you to death first? A quick Google search didn't explain how they kill you, but did offer this doozy of a sentence: "Over the course of about an hour, Greene estimates, the snake would walk its teeth over a person's body until it is completely inside the animal's stomach." Fuck, that image really disturbs me! So do they move their teeth like cilia pushing food through the intestines? There was a video I refuse to open. Snakes freak me out.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:32 pm Definitely makes you appreciate the safety of an office job.
Until you walk into the bathroom and one of your coworkers is congratulating himself on the size of his toilet snake.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:26 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:32 pm Definitely makes you appreciate the safety of an office job.
Until you walk into the bathroom and one of your coworkers is congratulating himself on the size of his toilet snake.
If Rass had a dollar for every time…
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:24 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:22 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:51 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:09 pm He could have already been dead.
So..here's the thing. Snakes don't like to eat dead things. They want their food moving and alive.
Well ackshullly... they only eat dead things. They kill you first, then eat you.

Wanna see video of them cutting the snake open? https://nypost.com/2022/10/25/missing-g ... er-python/
Hmmm. But that's things they've just killed. Don't think snakes make meals of road kill etc.
I think that's true of wild snakes. But pet snakes will eat dead mice and rats. Either way, that snake killed that woman and then swallowed her.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:24 pm So when a python swallows you whole, do they squeeze you to death first? A quick Google search didn't explain how they kill you, but did offer this doozy of a sentence: "Over the course of about an hour, Greene estimates, the snake would walk its teeth over a person's body until it is completely inside the animal's stomach." Fuck, that image really disturbs me! So do they move their teeth like cilia pushing food through the intestines? There was a video I refuse to open. Snakes freak me out.
I've read about it before and seen it on some nature shows. What had happened was...

The snake wraps you up, particularly the torso. Every time you breathe, and then breathe back in, the snake squeezes and constricts. The only way for it not to constrict is for you to not breathe, which... Yikes. I also think that a part of the constriction is cracking your rib cage. You know, so it can fit you in its crazy hinge-jawed mouth.

I've dealt with a few snakes in my backyard and shed. Like spiders, they don't freak me out, but I'm not psyched to see them. But these pythons and venomous snakes. Fuck all of that. Nightmare fuel.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:04 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:24 pm So when a python swallows you whole, do they squeeze you to death first? A quick Google search didn't explain how they kill you, but did offer this doozy of a sentence: "Over the course of about an hour, Greene estimates, the snake would walk its teeth over a person's body until it is completely inside the animal's stomach." Fuck, that image really disturbs me! So do they move their teeth like cilia pushing food through the intestines? There was a video I refuse to open. Snakes freak me out.
I've read about it before and seen it on some nature shows. What had happened was...

The snake wraps you up, particularly the torso. Every time you breathe, and then breathe back in, the snake squeezes and constricts. The only way for it not to constrict is for you to not breathe, which... Yikes. I also think that a part of the constriction is cracking your rib cage. You know, so it can fit you in its crazy hinge-jawed mouth.

I've dealt with a few snakes in my backyard and shed. Like spiders, they don't freak me out, but I'm not psyched to see them. But these pythons and venomous snakes. Fuck all of that. Nightmare fuel.
I’ve removed a dozen or so garter snakes out of my garage over the years, usually dead and stuck to a glue trap. They don’t bother me at all because they are small and I know they don’t even have fangs. I’ve caught live ones and move them outside, as they are great for pest control. Big snakes… no thanks.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

About a month ago one of my coworkers was walking her dog in a regional park (Black Hills for those who know). Just walking and bam she was bit by an Eastern Copperhead. Ended up in the ICU for a week. I don't see snakes to quickly differentiate harmless from going to kill you. I tend to treat them all with respect.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:08 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:04 pm

I’ve removed a dozen or so garter snakes out of my garage over the years, usually dead and stuck to a glue trap. They don’t bother me at all because they are small and I know they don’t even have fangs. I’ve caught live ones and move them outside, as they are great for pest control. Big snakes… no thanks.
I've had young snakes get tangled up in netting in my shed... Legit sad about having to dispose of those. I've also moved 2 pretty large garters... At least 3 to 3.5 feet long... We live near a creek, so I've put them in a yard trim/garbage can and released them down that way.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Like Shirley said you can def feed pet snakes pre-killed rodents but for some picky ones you have to boil them for a quick minute so they have a heat signature to lock onto.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Do you keep a separate rodent saucepan or just figure boiling water is nature's best cleanser?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'm currently snakeless but my friend who has a python puts the rat in a bag when boiling.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sous Vide Raton!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nope. Just nope to all of this.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

But so adorable in "A Bugs Life"
Canadian International
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Settled on an episode of Planet Earth II today while trying to zone out and take a nap and it was all about animals that have adapted to city environments and SDA said NYC has the highest density of peregrine falcons in the world. They like to eat pigeons.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:17 am Great. Another story of adult males who live too long at their mother's teat, see things only in black and white and harbor potentially murderous intent.

I kinda wish I was a commenter over there because I'm so clever.
Yeah, reminds me of the Swamply-famous term, “basement-dwelling sock fucker.”

(That was the first time the Swamp embarrassed me - when my daughter saw that and burst out laughing.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

It’s still snowing in Utah …

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

GF's daughter is in Northern Iceland...in a little village called Siglufjörður, doing photo shoots/ad work for a heli ski company, a hotel (Siglo), and Smith Googles. She sent us this picture last night.
IMG_7541-small.jpg
IMG_7541-small.jpg (9.44 KiB) Viewed 316 times
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That is awesome and hilarious
Canadian International
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Wildlife Life Comedy Photo finalists

https://www.comedywildlifephoto.com/gal ... newsletter
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Great stuff.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:02 am Do you keep a separate rodent saucepan or just figure boiling water is nature's best cleanser?
I laughed out loud at this. My dog awakened, lifting his head to the commotion, and then settled back into his sleep.
Noli Timere Messorem