Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Trump Administration Meltdown Thread...

Post by P.D.X. »

If some Broadway actors can get under his skin his twitter fingers are going to be damn busy once he takes office.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote:If some Broadway actors can get under his skin his twitter fingers are going to be damn busy once he takes office.
he's the God damned President-elect. Is he even taking part in the cabinet interviews? He has time for this?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Confession: I've never seen or listened to Hamilton.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote:Confession: I've never seen or listened to Hamilton.
Me either. I know it's popular but that's about it. Some touring company will make it to Vegas in a coule couple years and I'll check it out.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I've listened to the soundtrack because it's free on Amazon Prime. I just told Alexa to play it for me one day. It's pretty good.

Last I had heard (from a podcast I listened to with Seat Geek as a sponsor, so probably Simmons), that was the toughest ticket to get on Broadway. That was back in August though. Ridiculous that Pence got to go. Unfortunately this happened after Lin-Manuel Miranda was on Marc Maron's podcast. That would have been fun to hear them talk about.

But yea. Just wait until he travels overseas and gets an international booing. It's coming. And his reaction is going to be just as absurd. He'll probably seek a trade embargo or mandate a "show of force" or something.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'm a big sucker for blockbuster musicals too. Well except Rent, that sucked.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:
Rex wrote:Confession: I've never seen or listened to Hamilton.
Me either. I know it's popular but that's about it. Some touring company will make it to Vegas in a coule couple years and I'll check it out.

Haven't seen it but listened. It's tremendous.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Are songs from Hamilton hits on the radio or as downloads?
Last edited by DC47 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Pruitt wrote:

God help us.
Alternative hypothesis: It's just part of the ongoing public relations battle. Trump is using his gigantic megaphone to point out that the other side can be hostile and rude. Just like his side has been recently accused of being.

Does anyone seriously believe he thinks the actors will apologize because he demands it?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Nah, this makes more sense:

Stop Being Played, America; Watch How Trump’s Hamilton Tweet Distracts From His Fraud Case

This tweet bullshit is nothing but a front because Trump plays the media like a fiddle.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DC47 wrote:Are songs from Hamilton hits on the radio or as downloads?

I think on Amazon prime(as mentioned) and maybe Spotify too. Plus a lot are on the youtubes. Google the track listing and have a go.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

As big a hit as Hamilton has been, I'm surprised that some of the songs are not gigantic pop hits. My metric is whether my teen daughter plays them. Haven't heard a single one. My curiousity is piqued because I well recall how Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar generated pop hit songs. It's less relevant, as the pop music business has changed so much, but so to with the Broadway shows in the golden age before 1960.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Johnnie wrote:Nah, this makes more sense:

Stop Being Played, America; Watch How Trump’s Hamilton Tweet Distracts From His Fraud Case

This tweet bullshit is nothing but a front because Trump plays the media like a fiddle.
What fraud case?

Ohhhhhh .......
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Johnnie wrote:Nah, this makes more sense:

Perhaps, but #NameAPenceMusical is at least an amusing distraction.
My favorites are "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Transvaginal Ultrasound" and "Springtime for Bannon."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Hilarious. I imagine there are multiple variations on "Annie Get Your Gun" and "Les Miserables."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

DC47 wrote:Hilarious. I imagine there are multiple variations on "Annie Get Your Gun" and "Les Miserables."
Annie Get Your IUD was one I saw
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is why I stopped watching television:

Ben Shapiro explains exactly what's wrong with this shit and it's just pivoted to a "Do you agree with that?"

Everything about this panel (except Shapiro's insight) is completely fake, phony, and pointless. The way it's presented. This lame ass host with stupid questions. The overpresentation of the studio. The "I'm just an opinion communist" retort from Charles Blow. This random lady with weird hair and face and her "outside the New York and DC" bubble worldview that doesn't matter. It's 8 minutes of nothingbabble. It's the opposite what matters. It has the tone of a knitting show on NPR and the self awareness of a valley girl. This is why Trump is president. Garbage TV like this.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:It's the opposite what matters. It has the tone of a knitting show on NPR and the self awareness of a valley girl. This is why Trump is president. Garbage TV like this.
It has lowered the level of discourse to such an extent that there's a President-Elect who is picking on actors during the transition period.

The answer to the question is a matter of opinion, but were people always as stupid as they are now? Because as horrible and imbecilic as CNN usually is, there are a hell of a lot worse popular "news" sources out there.

Trump was caught on tape saying "grab them by the pussy," and he almost took a majority of female votes. Humans are supposed to evolve.

I just feel like screaming "what the hell is going on?"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

1. Many women understand that what Trump said (and most likely did) was not that unusual for celebrities. They've been enjoying sexual behavior that violates mainstream norms since there have been celebrities.

2. Perhaps many women recognize that Hillary Clinton condoned very similar, or worse, behavior in Bill Clinton, and went further by attacking women who threatened his presidency (and her political future). In this context, rejecting Trump due to his behavior isn't an obvious move.

3. Perhaps many women have voting criteria that extend beyond crude behavior. You know, like the conduct of the longest war in US history. The never-exceeded level of war crimes. The new high in surveillance of American citizens. The economy that has left so many in serious financial trouble and with little hope of recovering. The astonishing level of inequality in our society. I imagine that little things like that matter to more than a few women.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DC47 wrote:1. Many women understand that what Trump said (and most likely did) was not that unusual for celebrities. They've been enjoying sexual behavior that violates mainstream norms since there have been celebrities.

2. Perhaps many women recognize that Hillary Clinton condoned very similar, or worse, behavior in Bill Clinton, and went further by attacking women who threatened his presidency (and her political future). In this context, rejecting Trump due to his behavior isn't an obvious move.

3. Perhaps many women have voting criteria that extend beyond crude behavior. You know, like the conduct of the longest war in US history. The never-exceeded level of war crimes. The new high in surveillance of American citizens. The economy that has left so many in serious financial trouble and with little hope of recovering. The astonishing level of inequality in our society. I imagine that little things like that matter to more than a few women.
How would voting for a fraudulent, huckster-tax cheat (wannabe) billionaire make any sense then?
Noli Timere Messorem
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Guess you missed the part where one candidate was basically for 'more of the same' and the other one promised 'change', a massive infrastructure spending program, less job competition from immigrants, and reversing the flow of jobs overseas.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DC exists to troll you guys. Sooner you realize that the better.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Nope. Trolling would be more like asking you how much money you put behind your prediction that the Lions would lose today.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote:DC exists to troll you guys. Sooner you realize that the better.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Here's how I see this playing out.

Days after Trump gets elected, the GOP will begin turning the screws on Trump, and any of dozens of potential conflicts of interest will arise to level of impeachment proceedings. He'll melt under the pressure and ultimately be removed from office.

Then the GOP can get down to work in truly regressing the United States back into the 19th Century as an entirely regressive apparatus is in place to nominate some frightful SCOTUS candidates that Mike *fucking* Pence will nominate.

Trump's a clown show, and the GOP is going to eat him alive to place their new chosen one into the emperor's seat.
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EnochRoot wrote:Here's how I see this playing out.

Days after Trump gets elected, the GOP will begin turning the screws on Trump, and any of dozens of potential conflicts of interest will arise to level of impeachment proceedings. He'll melt under the pressure and ultimately be removed from office.

Then the GOP can get down to work in truly regressing the United States back into the 19th Century as an entirely regressive apparatus is in place to nominate some frightful SCOTUS candidates that Mike *fucking* Pence will nominate.

Trump's a clown show, and the GOP is going to eat him alive to place their new chosen one into the emperor's seat.
I think the Congressional GOP would love to have Pence as President because he's ultraconservative, but also predictable. So I do think they'll hold the specter of impeachment over Trump as a way of keeping him in line and making sure he rubber stamps whatever regressive bullshit Paul Ryan puts on his desk. But so long as Trump stays within the GOP mainstream on policy issues, I doubt they impeach him. For all his awfulness, I think Trump drew more voters to the polls than Pence ever could.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Holy moses - that makes perfect sense.

And the GOP removes Bannon and a few others and replaces them with Romney-level weasels. Oh boy...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:DC exists to troll you guys. Sooner you realize that the better.

I actually don't think this is the case. I would agree with him on #1 and 2. I think he is projecting on #3, but I haven't really poured over polling data to back that up.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Joe K wrote:

I think the Congressional GOP would love to have Pence as President because he's ultraconservative, but also predictable. So I do think they'll hold the specter of impeachment over Trump as a way of keeping him in line and making sure he rubber stamps whatever regressive bullshit Paul Ryan puts on his desk. But so long as Trump stays within the GOP mainstream on policy issues, I doubt they impeach him. For all his awfulness, I think Trump drew more voters to the polls than Pence ever could.
90 million voters stayed home. Trump attracted the bigoted idiot to the polls and if you weren't a dyed in the wool, blind-faithed GOPer: you stayed home. The sooner they distance themselves from this, the better off they'll be so that they can get down to true regression.
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EnochRoot wrote:
Joe K wrote:

90 million voters stayed home. Trump attracted the bigoted idiot to the polls and if you weren't a dyed in the wool, blind-faithed GOPer: you stayed home. The sooner they distance themselves from this, the better off they'll be so that they can get down to true regression.
Everyone said all year that having Trump on the top of the ticket would kill the GOP in downballot races and that didn't happen. At all. They kept the Senate and House and dominated statewide elections. When you consider Governorships and State legislatures, you'd have to go back pretty far to find a party with a more dominant political edge than the GOP has right now. So frankly, I'm going to need a lot more evidence to conclude that Trump was or is an electoral liability for the party.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If anything, it now appears that Trump was an electoral asset to the Republicans. He brought out disaffected yahoos who otherwise might not have voted. And the Republicans that pundits thought might not vote actually did so.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The prospects of a backdoor conspiracy to ride the Trump Train back into power and then shitcan him when finished is pretty awesome and straight out of a book.

But doesn't that just blow up the long term for Republicans? Seems short sighted. Unless there's a way to cautiously separate themselves, wouldn't there be an uprising from the base?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

No way in hell. Trump is a feature, not a bug. The GOP is going to fall in line, and hope that Trump will be enough of a headline-stealing shit show (see this weekend's Hamilton-tweet nonsense) that they can use him as cover to do all the crap they've been dying to do for years now.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote:This is why I stopped watching television:

Ben Shapiro explains exactly what's wrong with this shit and it's just pivoted to a "Do you agree with that?"
When Ben "The Virgin Ben" Shapiro is the one on your panel making sense, time to just shut down the network and send everyone home.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote:When Ben "The Virgin Ben" Shapiro is the one on your panel making sense, time to just shut down the network and send everyone home.
He's a bold #NeverTrump Jew who was the target of many anti-Semitic statements from the alt-right. He's going to call out bullshit.

Anywho, how does The Hill lab because this story seems to have slipped through the cracks of the mainstream: Report: Trump meeting with media a ‘fucking firing squad’

So does the media hit back? Probably not. But seriously guys, the first journalist threatened with jail better get everyone enraged beyond being butthurt over the result of an election. That's a threat to democracy.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Why people responded favorably to Trump's message

Post by DC47 »

Per investment manager Jeff Gundlach, who predicted Trump's victory:

Median worker wages for men, for instance, have dropped by 4.6% since 1973. At the same time, the top 5% of wage earners have seen a 51.4% real increase in their purchasing power.

Meanwhile, the share of wealth for the bottom 90% of households has fallen from 36% to 23%, as the share of the top 0.1% has soared from 7% to 22% over the past 20 years.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote:

No way in hell. Trump is a feature, not a bug. The GOP is going to fall in line, and hope that Trump will be enough of a headline-stealing shit show (see this weekend's Hamilton-tweet nonsense) that they can use him as cover to do all the crap they've been dying to do for years now.
So he's the wedge.

Fuck us all.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Anywho, how does The Hill lab because this story seems to have slipped through the cracks of the mainstream: Report: Trump meeting with media a ‘fucking firing squad’

So does the media hit back? Probably not. But seriously guys, the first journalist threatened with jail better get everyone enraged beyond being butthurt over the result of an election. That's a threat to democracy.
Here's Trump's anorexic mouth piece on the meeting:
"No, that's not true at all," she said on Bloomberg Politics' 'With All Due Respect." "I sat right to his left. He did not explode in anger. By the way, it's an off-the-record meeting so whoever said that and mischaracterized it should think twice."
That threat is very thinly veiled.

Looks like the monster has turned on its creator (or at least, its enabler)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote: Anywho, how does The Hill lab because this story seems to have slipped through the cracks of the mainstream: Report: Trump meeting with media a ‘fucking firing squad’

Whenever you see "Report" in a headline, it's an outlet sourcing the reporting to another media outlet. In the case of the Hill, it's using a NY Post report.

So it's not like the Hill got something no one else did. Politico reported on the meeting and had a different take. Haven't checked WaPo and NYT yet.

And the outlets who met with Trump aren't going to be reporting on an off-the-record meeting anyway, for obvious reasons.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer