NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: NCAA College Hoops 2016/2017

Post by Shirley »

The predictable national media response to NC State is in full swing. Jay Bilas went after them on Twitter. And here's Gary Parrish at CBS - http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... -that-job/

They point out the fact that Gottfried has made 4 tournaments in his 5 seasons, making the Sweet 16 twice. That is undeniably good.

What neither mentioned is that State finished with a losing record last year despite having Cat Barber, who scored over 23 ppg and made First Team All-ACC. This year has been even worse. The team has completely imploded. They've lost 6 straight since upsetting Duke. They lost by 51 at UNC, the second largest margin in rivalry history. They lost by 30 to Wake, the largest margin in that rivalry's history. They also lost to Wake at home, ending Wake's 25-game road ACC losing streak. They've lost the last 3 game by 20+ points - and they've lost 7 games by 18+.

Keep in mind that State has the projected #3 draft pick in the NBA. They have other talented guards and big men as well. I'd say they probably the fourth most talent in the league, behind Duke, UNC, and FSU.

Most damning of all - to observers, it's pretty clear that this team has quit on him. They don't play hard. Opposing players have said as much in direct quotes after games.

Do you give a guy like that another chance? It's one thing to have bad years, but back-to-back disasters? With talented teams?

It had to be done.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This has been, by far, my least favorite college basketball season ever. I wish they would cancel it immediately.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Shirley wrote:The predictable national media response to NC State is in full swing. Jay Bilas went after them on Twitter. And here's Gary Parrish at CBS - http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... -that-job/

They point out the fact that Gottfried has made 4 tournaments in his 5 seasons, making the Sweet 16 twice. That is undeniably good.

What neither mentioned is that State finished with a losing record last year despite having Cat Barber, who scored over 23 ppg and made First Team All-ACC. This year has been even worse. The team has completely imploded. They've lost 6 straight since upsetting Duke. They lost by 51 at UNC, the second largest margin in rivalry history. They lost by 30 to Wake, the largest margin in that rivalry's history. They also lost to Wake at home, ending Wake's 25-game road ACC losing streak. They've lost the last 3 game by 20+ points - and they've lost 7 games by 18+.

Keep in mind that State has the projected #3 draft pick in the NBA. They have other talented guards and big men as well. I'd say they probably the fourth most talent in the league, behind Duke, UNC, and FSU.

Most damning of all - to observers, it's pretty clear that this team has quit on him. They don't play hard. Opposing players have said as much in direct quotes after games.

Do you give a guy like that another chance? It's one thing to have bad years, but back-to-back disasters? With talented teams?

It had to be done.

One of their best players decided to stop running down the floor....to play offense!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I got curious, so I looked it up:

I wish UVA had that level of recruiting.
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

So the players quit because the payments stopped coming in? How else do you explain quitting?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

duff wrote:So the players quit because the payments stopped coming in? How else do you explain quitting?
They're quitting because they keep getting their asses kicked. It's possible there's some off-court stuff too, but I don't know about that. Nobody at this level - especially dudes who were big recruits out of high school - likes getting trounced by 20+ points.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:The predictable national media response to NC State is in full swing. Jay Bilas went after them on Twitter. And here's Gary Parrish at CBS - http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... -that-job/

Parrish with the "four tournament bids in six years" is a nice way of avoid saying how the program has clearly backslid the last two seasons. And to make the NCAA from the ACC, all you pretty much have to be a .500 team in conference (and they're 8-24 the last two seasons in conference).

Regarding the potential for off-court stuff, I know less than zero, but wonder if the last two years have had issues tied to other players being jealous of Cat Barber, then Dennis Smith, Jr. Both point guards had/have carte blanche on offense and Smith is pretty poor defensively. Just wonder about the simple "why does he get to do whatever we want, but we have to...." potential thought process.

I have never thought Gottfried was a good coach. Some recent evidence of this was continuing to have his guards go under screens against Syracuse when John Gillon, a 6'0" point guard, hit nine threes in the game. Mind-boggling to never change that strategy.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote:

Parrish with the "four tournament bids in six years" is a nice way of avoid saying how the program has clearly backslid the last two seasons. And to make the NCAA from the ACC, all you pretty much have to be a .500 team in conference (and they're 8-24 the last two seasons in conference).

Regarding the potential for off-court stuff, I know less than zero, but wonder if the last two years have had issues tied to other players being jealous of Cat Barber, then Dennis Smith, Jr. Both point guards had/have carte blanche on offense and Smith is pretty poor defensively. Just wonder about the simple "why does he get to do whatever we want, but we have to...." potential thought process.

I have never thought Gottfried was a good coach. Some recent evidence of this was continuing to have his guards go under screens against Syracuse when John Gillon, a 6'0" point guard, hit nine threes in the game. Mind-boggling to never change that strategy.
I actually defended Gottfried in his first few years. Noting his tournament resume ignores the fact that of those teams struggled off and on throughout the season, but won enough late to get a bid. Then, they played well in the tournament. I figured it was a sign of good coaching to improve late in the year. But his defensive weakness has just gotten too prominent to ignore.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A little Podcast Thread crosspost here. Bill Burr on visiting Cameron for the Duke-UNC game last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qILLrC9 ... e=youtu.be

FWIW, I lucked into tickets to that game about 15 years ago. I think I sat in nearly the same spot as Bill, maybe on the opposite side. He does a great job of explaining just how nuts that atmosphere is. I've never experienced anything like it.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Virginia has completely fucking collapsed and I'm dumbfounded. The defense is still good, but the offense has been absolutely horrible for the past 3.5 games. It's hard to understand.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Took a while to get there, but worth it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'm amazed I've never read a story on this topic until now:

Do soft rims exist?

The author polled a bunch of ACC schools about how "tight" their rims are maintained, and the answers fall exactly where you would expect. It's the basketball equivalent of how you cut your infield grass. I was surprised to learn that the NBA standard is so much tighter than the college one, though.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Rex wrote:I'm amazed I've never read a story on this topic until now:

Do soft rims exist?

The author polled a bunch of ACC schools about how "tight" their rims are maintained, and the answers fall exactly where you would expect. It's the basketball equivalent of how you cut your infield grass. I was surprised to learn that the NBA standard is so much tighter than the college one, though.
I've thought that Cameron's rims look and sound soft for years. I always assumed it was because Duke always has a lot of three-point shooters.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kind of bizarre when you figure Michigan is kind of a middling team. If you're looking for a good betting dark horse for the NCAA tournament, a Beilein team is a good place to start though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

CMU finishes season with 8 straight losses. What da fuck? But Marcus Keene scored 41 tonight meaning his final season average is exactly 30.0. First player in 20 years to average 30 a game for the season.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:CMU finishes season with 8 straight losses. What da fuck? But Marcus Keene scored 41 tonight meaning his final season average is exactly 30.0. First player in 20 years to average 30 a game for the season.
Any word if he is going pro/staying for his last year/looking for a grad-year transfer? I assume since he is turning 22 in a couple months (old for the draft) and not going to get his stock any higher without growing eight inches, it's the first option, but there are idiots up here who think he'd be perfect at Syracuse in the last of those cases.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:CMU finishes season with 8 straight losses. What da fuck? But Marcus Keene scored 41 tonight meaning his final season average is exactly 30.0. First player in 20 years to average 30 a game for the season.
Any word if he is going pro/staying for his last year/looking for a grad-year transfer? I assume since he is turning 22 in a couple months (old for the draft) and not going to get his stock any higher without growing eight inches, it's the first option, but there are idiots up here who think he'd be perfect at Syracuse in the last of those cases.
Because he transferred and he's not exactly a Rhodes scholar I very much doubt he's close to graduating, so that's not an option. I'd say it's 90 percent likely he goes pro. He's projecting as a mid to late second round pick/priority UDFA. Only reason he stays is to work on his defense and maybe boost his draft stock to late first round, but that's somewhat unlikely given his size.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I keep wondering when sub-NBA kids are going to start leaving early to play overseas. It has to be coming soon, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Only reason he stays is to work on his defense and maybe boost his draft stock to late first round, but that's somewhat unlikely given his size.
Very unlikely, as that article you linked awhile back made it clear he doesn't give two shits about playing defense.

Of course, there are some great NBA scorers who don't play much defense cough, James Harden, cough, so that may not be an impediment at the next level.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sigh....
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So I think Syracuse is in for a variety of reasons, but we'll get to see how little stock the committee supposedly puts in RPI these days. Because Syracuse's RPI is pretty abysmal for an at-large.

(44 in KenPom, tho.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:So I think Syracuse is in for a variety of reasons, but we'll get to see how little stock the committee supposedly puts in RPI these days. Because Syracuse's RPI is pretty abysmal for an at-large.

(44 in KenPom, tho.)
If they are in (I think they are), it's their list of wins against better teams (Virginia, Duke, Florida State, Wake, Miami, Monmouth all in RPI top 50). Their RPI is terrible for an at-large (#80, which would break their own record from last year as "worst ever to make tournament as an at-large"), but there are about 30 teams in front of them who have one win or fewer against top 50 RPI teams. Many of those fringe bubble teams will lose early this week, as well, and many of them have egregious holes in their resumes (Georgia is #53 RPI with 1-8 record against top 50, Clemson is #67 RPI and 6-12 in ACC, for example).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's a pretty weak bubble. I think you can make a case for Syracuse over most teams fighting to get in, but I'll be pretty upset if they pass over Illinois State for a team like Vanderbilt or Syracuse. Don't feel the same about any of the other mid-majors (Middle Tennessee, UT-Arlington) hoping for an at-large if they lose their conference tournament though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So in addition to Michigan's team plane crashing, looks like they won't be able to fly to DC until tomorrow. And they play at noon ET tomorrow. Don't know if it's possible, but guessing the Big Ten might try to change the schedule to let them play later in the day.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

One down, three to go for UVA in the ACC tournament. Pitt's a dangerous team, because they have a couple of guys in Young and Artis who can score on anyone. If one or both get hot, they can beat nearly anybody. Luckily neither got going too much.

Notre Dame is next. Another team that can get hot and light up anyone. Fortunately, Virginia's system seems to trump Brey's. They haven't lost to the Irish since Notre Dame joined the conference, and all of the wins have been by double digits, including this year (17-point win in South Bend).
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Is Michigan playing in their practice gear? No Big 10 patches, no names on the back of the jersey, no logo no the shorts, small numbers.

edit
Yup....
http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/03 ... tournament
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Is Michigan playing in their practice gear? No Big 10 patches, no names on the back of the jersey, no logo no the shorts, small numbers.

edit
Yup....
Story really kind of undersold why the jerseys couldn't come. Because the crash is being investigated by the FAA, NOTHING could be taken off the plane. Meaning a lot of the players were playing with their own personal shoes amongst other things. Only reason they had the practice gear they played in is because obviously it wasn't on the plane and they collected it from the practice facility so they could play in something.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:So in addition to Michigan's team plane crashing, looks like they won't be able to fly to DC until tomorrow. And they play at noon ET tomorrow. Don't know if it's possible, but guessing the Big Ten might try to change the schedule to let them play later in the day.

Yeah, they don't have any contingencies for this stuff, apparently.

MI is one of the hotter teams in the country right now. They have now won something like 6 of 8, two losses in that stretch:

- OT @ MN in a VERY dodgy officiating deal
- Buzzerbeater @ NW in a game that put the Wildcats in their first ever NCAA tourney. And a game directly after MI clinched their NCCA spot with a convincing win against POY nominee and top team Purdue.

So... You can put them at the 8/9 seed in a couple of weeks. That #1 seed in the second round is gonna be pissed if they are paying attention.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Is Michigan playing in their practice gear? No Big 10 patches, no names on the back of the jersey, no logo no the shorts, small numbers.

edit
Yup....
Story really kind of undersold why the jerseys couldn't come. Because the crash is being investigated by the FAA, NOTHING could be taken off the plane. Meaning a lot of the players were playing with their own personal shoes amongst other things. Only reason they had the practice gear they played in is because obviously it wasn't on the plane and they collected it from the practice facility so they could play in something.

Pretty scary incident, by the accounts I've read, mostly from Twitter.

And if anyone knows the Austin Hatch story... He is the guy that survived two plane crashes and is now a student assistant for the team (was a Mr. Basketball in IN). It was confirmed at some point that he wasn't on the plane, but rather attending classes.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And MI's wacky late season continues with an OT win over Purdue. Unpleasant finish for PU, as they had a chance to ice the game but missed the front of a 1-1 and Zak Irvin sliced down the lane to put it into OT.

I'm wondering if they just played their way out of the 8-9 game.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote:And MI's wacky late season continues with an OT win over Purdue. Unpleasant finish for PU, as they had a chance to ice the game but missed the front of a 1-1 and Zak Irvin sliced down the lane to put it into OT.

I'm wondering if they just played their way out of the 8-9 game.
You think? Lunardi's Bracketology has the Minnesota as a 6, Wisconsin as 6, Terps as 7, Northwestern as a 9 and Michigan as a 9. Just too much of a log jam with teams still alive in the Big 10 tournament to move them up all that much and quality of wins will be teams that are about as good as Michigan on any night. Maybe get a 7 (stretch for 6) if they win the whole thing but Terps/NW winner will get a bump by making the semis as will Wisconsin (assuming they beat Indiana who is next 4 out right now)
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

It feels a bit dirty to have any rooting interest in them, but I'm glad I put a bet down on Duke to win the NCAA tournament a few weeks ago. A few years ago someone (maybe Ken Pomeroy?) did an analysis showing that preseason ranking (which is a good proxy for sheer talent level) is as good a predictor of tournament success as anything, even when the highly ranked team struggles during the regular season. In recent years, Kentucky's 2011 and 2014 teams are good examples of this, even though they ultimately both lost to UConn in the Final Four. So even when Duke was losing a bunch of ACC games and Graymond was getting himself suspended for dirty play, I liked their chances given that they were considered to be by far the most talented team coming into the season.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Joe K wrote:It feels a bit dirty to have any rooting interest in them, but I'm glad I put a bet down on Duke to win the NCAA tournament a few weeks ago. A few years ago someone (maybe Ken Pomeroy?) did an analysis showing that preseason ranking (which is a good proxy for sheer talent level) is as good a predictor of tournament success as anything, even when the highly ranked team struggles during the regular season. In recent years, Kentucky's 2011 and 2014 teams are good examples of this, even though they ultimately both lost to UConn in the Final Four. So even when Duke was losing a bunch of ACC games and Graymond was getting himself suspended for dirty play, I liked their chances given that they were considered to be by far the most talented team coming into the season.
I like this.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Also, can someone explain to me why UNC is still considered a lock for a #1 seed, despite having 7 losses? I would think that Oregon (and to a lesser extent, Arizona and Kentucky) would have an argument for jumping them with a conference tournament win. But it seems like the ACC is guaranteed at least one #1 seed every year and there's no other viable option this season.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

bought tickets to the regional here in KC last summer @ $300 each thinking KU would be in the region

sold them this afternoon @ $800 each

that'll do
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Eustachy is such a douche.