The OFFICIAL Thanksgiving thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

The OFFICIAL Thanksgiving thread

Post by Sabo »

So, does anyone have any exciting plans for Thanksgiving this year?

We always have a low-key holiday dinner since it's usually just Mrs. Sabo, her brother and myself. But this year, my mom is coming up and will stay with us for a couple of days. This will help tide things over during the holidays because Mrs. Sabo and I decided to not go to Cincinnati for Christmas any more (for a litany of reasons which I won't get into).

Dinner will be turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, cornbread stuffing with sausage, glazed carrots, sauteed greens, rolls and pumpkin pie. I'm making all of this from scratch, with the exception of the sausage for the stuffing. I make a lot more things from scratch these days because I have to eat gluten free, which is good because almost everything I make tastes better than store bought.

So, what's on the agenda, and what's on the menu?

ETA: Obviously, this only applies to American Thanksgiving. Our Canuckistani friends can respond next October.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
BSF21
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Thanksgiving thread

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:
ETA: Obviously, this only applies to American Thanksgiving. Our Canuckistani friends can respond next October.
Or they could get with the fucking program.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

23 at my small house. Going to be tight
Turkey, my wife's family stuffing, my veggie aunt and veggie sister covering the sides.
My mom was sent on a mission for a collection of Union Craft beers (even found some Old Pro)
Best have all likely have enough to hit the middle school for a proper sized family football game.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Listened to Pitchfork's 50 Best Holiday Songs playlist on Spotify this morning in the shower and on the drive to work. I'm fucking ready to get the festivities started. It's helpful that it has been cooler here lately (highs in low 70s, lows in 40s).

Got family and friends coming over on Thursday. Meeting old family friends tonight, meeting other old friends tomorrow for wings before going to the Lightning game Wednesday night with the houseguests, coming up from South Florida.

Our houseguests and my oldest and I are running the 2nd annual Turkey Trot, that starts and ends at Amalie Arena (Lightning) on Thursday morning. We're cooking a 20 lb turkey, green beans and salad. The houseguests are making stuffing and cranberry sauce. My mom is bringing over roast and mashed potatoes. Three pies, all with homemade crusts, are being prepped, and I've purchased two liter bottles of Caymus Cabernet for dinner.

Also, these houseguests that I mention have 4 kids, so we'll have four adults and seven kids in the house from Wednesday afternoon through Saturday morning.

Thanksgiving's got me feeling like Clark W. Griswold, and loving it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Home alone. Wife and kids are in the Seattle area to visit family friends for the week, but I am staying home to avoid traveling across the country to work from a friend's house while they're off having fun during the day.

Plenty of football/basketball/stuff in the DVR ("Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" and a list of movies as long as my arm) to keep me busy Thursday and Friday.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Invading some friend's family T-day...the friends don't even like their family that much so it should be interesting. And it can't get over fast enough. At least all we have to bring is a veggie tray and some beer.

More importantly the wife is leaving Saturday for the week so I have that going for me.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just me and the wife, as usual. Making a big meal with enough leftovers for days, watching the Lions and then usually spend all day Friday watching a movie trilogy or series of some kind (thinking all three Godfathers this year).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

For the first time ever, my family is going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. Because, my single brother is hosting in Littleton, and my mother and wife aren't interested in cooking everything at his house. Made reservations at what looks like will be a nice buffet.

My main goal is to go a few days without talking politics with the relatives.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote:My main goal is to go a few days without talking politics with the relatives.
This. Times a thousand.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

13 at my house. I want them to eat and get the fuck out as quickly as possible. *

Turkey
Ham
Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole (gross)
Corn Souffle
Salad
Sweet Potato Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Rolls

Many pies and desserts.

*To be fair, my MIL is going through early stage dementia and can be a huge handful, My SIL hasn't talked to my wife in 4 years, but has started again because my FIL is still in the hospital, so she invited herself over, my sister and her husband and kids are not my favorite people. Basically, the only people I will be "thankful" to see will be my mom and my own wife and kids (maybe not the 16 year old, he's kind of a dick).
Last edited by bfj on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We have hosted Thanksgiving at our house for the last 10 years or so:

My mom
2 in-law parents
youngest BIL
2nd oldest BIL his wife and kid
my wife and 2 kids (10 total, occasional guest to make 11 or 12)

This year, he oldest BIL and his wife and two step-kids are coming into town. Even though we host, they would typically sleep at the in-laws. Inexplicably, the BIL chose this year to visit, despite knowing momma just had massive knee surgery and is still recovering. She can't have all those people in her house, so...

They have rented a house out near Annapolis. We'll set up shop out there. Two things:

* The house isn't really big enough, so I'm probably sleeping on a couch or air-mattress. When I was younger, I was always willing to do stuff like this. I'm now 46 and a lifetime of beating up my body has caught up. This shit fucks up my back.

* The oldest BIL converted to being a weirdo Republican at some point during his time in the military. He went to Hopkins, then went to the military medical school near NIH, which required he join the Navy. Got stationed at JAX and has since surrounded himself with SWAT and police officers down there.

So, yeah... We have put a "no politics" edict on the weekend. I'm getting my liberal mom in and out of there TH a.m - Fri a.m.

Yahweh help me.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We haven't hosted in...I don't know? 6 or 7 years? We try to alternate between us and my parents in DE and my sister in NC, but when it's our turn we usually just pass to my parents since they're 3 hours closer for my sister and BIL (and we somehow ended up in NC twice in the past four years which was CRAP). This year everyone really wanted to come here for some reason, and I was sort of resistant until I realized all I really need to do is buy everything because my mom and sister will do most of the cooking (not that I mind cooking, but it's more time to watch football and drink) and I won't have to drive and board the dog or rush back on Saturday for soccer or my nieces' birthday party and this is alright!

Pretty standard spread all in all, but I can't wait.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Driving to Phoenix. Gunna hang with my cousin and also my friends (and god daughter). I hope there's a deep fried turkey, but if not, no biggie. I'll be with a bunch of people, which is cool. Having been single in the military for these last 15 years I'm typically invited somewhere for the holiday.

I was extended the invite to go with the gf up to Idaho and spend it with her ginormous family, but I didn't want to spend leave and buy a plane ticket.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

One of the best things about Thanksgiving is making turkey stock the day after. My last batch turned out delicious. Eating left over pumpkin pie directly from the pan is an underrated holiday experience.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Making the pilgrimage to southern MN tomorrow night. 9 hours if we're lucky. Be there just in time to help with everything they'll let me help with, as my future MiL can't cook her way out of a wet paper bag. She's a lovely human just not great in the kitchen. My plan is to become and maintain a level of buzzed through the week/weekend that lets the politics roll off my back without engaging. One entire side of the family are all Trumpkins to the point I had to delete them off FB. Which is a shame because her stepsister's husband was my one guy I normally spend these days in the garage drinking and avoiding the hubbub with but he was primary offender #1.

I reckon I'll have my nose in my iPad as much as possible. Have a nice holiday and safe travels Frogs.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Just my wife and kids at the beach. We gotten so that we really don't cook that much at home anymore, but I like making the big Thanksgiving meal. Nothing like the smell of a roasting turkey.

Have a safe one, Frogs!
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Headed to my uncle's. He usually has three turkeys. He brines one, and it is delicious, his sil deep fries one, and my mom will roast one. Then your normal Thanksgiving spread. Last year we hosted at our new house. Nice not to have to worry about that this year. Plus my aunt makes some great homemade peanut butter fudge. And they have a very well stocked wet bar. And no politics b/c my brother and uncle are too far right for the rest of us. It will be good to see family I see maybe two or three times a year. Be safe in all your travels.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The flu...that's what I'm having for Thanksgiving.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote:For the first time ever, my family is going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. Because, my single brother is hosting in Littleton, and my mother and wife aren't interested in cooking everything at his house. Made reservations at what looks like will be a nice buffet.

My main goal is to go a few days without talking politics with the relatives.
We started doing that when we moved to Utah and were no longer part of a large clan.

For a small group, going out is so much more efficient. Three hours of cooking and cleaning, followed by 15 minutes of eating, followed by two more hours of cooking and cleaning.

Of course, this year we are doing dinner at home. But we ordered in a bunch of the side dishes from Whole Foods, so that will at least make things less of a hassle.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

First holiday since my father died.

My family is going to be scattered, so I'm staying here in Pittsburgh. I'll probably have the run of the Swamp, tho. I might do something unusual, like post in the football threads. Go Steelers, etc.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

bapo! wrote:First holiday since my father died.

My family is going to be scattered, so I'm staying here in Pittsburgh. I'll probably have the run of the Swamp, tho. I might do something unusual, like post in the football threads. Go Steelers, etc.
Sounds tough, bapo. Good luck.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Yeah, it sucks, and it's always going to suck. But we all have to go thru it.

In addition to football, I'll be watching Game 10 of the World Chess Championship. Currently watching Game 9. Even tho these guys don't have broadcast rights, it's oddly riveting.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

link?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Since my mom passed (5 years ago Friday) thanksgiving is very low key. We have lunch with the wife's extended family but that's it. Have some good friends who also do one quick lunchtime meal so wI end up watching football and drinking bourbon with them nEarly every thanksgiving evening.

And bapo, it sucks but it gets easier. Not this year of course but I find it's a good time to remember and smile.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Here ya go, PDX.

And thanks, AB.

ETA: They're talking about DuckTales and Animaniacs now. I have no idea what's happening.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

duff wrote:my uncle...,his sil...and my mom will...spread...my aunt...my brother and uncle ...for the rest of us. It will be good to see family...
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Just the usual 8 of us for dinner- me, husband, my mom, 5 of my kids. I'm cooking as usual, with some assistance from the crew. Bread for the stuffing is in the oven now. Roll dough is is the fridge next to a turkey entirely too big for us. The youngest is in charge of making the cranberry sauce (a family tradition). There will be glazed carrots, roasted Brussels sprouts, and a mountain of mashed potatoes. Tonight I'll make apple and pumpkin pies and chocolate mousse. Pie for breakfast all weekend!

I haven't decided yet if we're going to the parade. The weather forecast is not as pleasant as I'd like.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I do miss tailgating at Ford Field, eating deep-fried turkey with all the fixings before Lions games.

Don't miss this though. The 2005 game was beyond miserable. It went from 35 degrees at midnight to 15 degrees at 8 a.m. with 20-25mph winds. We didn't even bother with ice for the coolers since the beers only got colder once you took them out and started drinking them.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bapo! wrote:Here ya go, PDX.

And thanks, AB.

ETA: They're talking about DuckTales and Animaniacs now. I have no idea what's happening.
Duck Tales and Animaniacs? I'm in.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Moreta wrote:Just the usual 8 of us for dinner- me, husband, my mom, 5 of my kids. I'm cooking as usual, with some assistance from the crew. Bread for the stuffing is in the oven now. Roll dough is is the fridge next to a turkey entirely too big for us. The youngest is in charge of making the cranberry sauce (a family tradition). There will be glazed carrots, roasted Brussels sprouts, and a mountain of mashed potatoes. Tonight I'll make apple and pumpkin pies and chocolate mousse. Pie for breakfast all weekend!

I haven't decided yet if we're going to the parade. The weather forecast is not as pleasant as I'd like.
As a kid who grew up knowing Wockenfuss, I can't deal with you being a Woe'man and having that avatar.

Um. I'm not sure why I needed to express this in this particular thread.. other than I feel like there's not enough awkward.

No, offense bapo, you did a good job of sending us down that path.

=-=-=-=-=-=
Also, thinking of you, bapo. I haven't really had to deal with too much of this first hand and I'm really dreading it. As random as Frog connections can be, know that I'm sending positive thoughts your way.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry, bapo. Hope BFJ's horror show ... helped brighten your holiday just a little.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

bapo! wrote:Yeah, it sucks, and it's always going to suck. But we all have to go thru it.
Been 30+ since Dad has passed and you're right, it does suck, every day. Put yourself on auto pilot to get through the day. Holidays are always the worst. Find reasons to smile and know that it's ok to cry. You'll get through it.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I didn't mean to turn this into a bapo/awful things thread, but you guys are really sweet. So, thanks, but I'm fine. Now let's get back to the important things: food, family, football, and chess. Go Magnus!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote:
bapo! wrote:Here ya go, PDX.

And thanks, AB.

Duck Tales and Animaniacs? I'm in.
Sounds pretty good.

A cold Thursday is what we call this day up here. But with kickoff at 12:30, good incentive to get work done early.

Hope all of you have a great weekend.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Half thawed turkey has been in a plug in roaster for 10 hours so far. Carrots are being cooked in the microwave and potatoes will be glue if trends continue. I'm having beer and Jim Beam and pie. I love my in laws but god damn they wouldn't know food I feel it punched them in the face.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Happy turkey frogs.

Think of you Bapo, as well as other frogs and friends that have lost someone close. All the more reason to hold those close to you a little closer today.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Oh and turkey is in the oven and orange green chile glaze is being prepared.

Here's to fine food and libations.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm going to admit to being slightly covetous of rush's turkey.

Heard "John Barleycorn Must Die" on the radio at about 10:45 so it seemed appropriate to start thinking about drinking at that point.

First is some concoction my sister made, mostly cider and rum, though it includes Goldschlager which I probably haven't had in at least 20 years.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is pretty funny:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

MIL just told my wife she's not coming for dinner because "she's tired". Wife in tears. She busts her ass to help both her parents and they shit on her.