Bankrupt Jeeves - Financial tracking tools

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Bankrupt Jeeves - Financial tracking tools

Post by Shirley »

Hey Swampers, what do you guys use to track your personal finances, investments, etc?

I've been using Mint for a long time now. I've loved it since I first tried. After a year or so of Mint, I stopped using Quicken and went all-in on Mint. It was much easier than Quicken and did such a great job syncing with online sources.

Well, I think Mint now has a potentially fatal disease. It seems it can't handle many banks' form of MFA. I noticed recently that my checking account hadn't been updated in nearly two months because of this. A chat with Mint folks explained that Mint can't handle Everbank's form of MFA (a one-time code sent to your phone). A quick google search of Mint and MFA shows that they have similar problems with BofA, Vanguard, etc. Since it appears this has been going on for many months now, I have to think they don't have a solution in mind.

So, what do you guys use? I don't want to have to go back to the desktop version of Quicken if I don't have to.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Bankrupt Jeeves - Financial tracking tools

Post by sancarlos »

I guess this is unhelpful, but I have banking/investment/credit cards with multiple sources and I just go to their websites on a regular basis to go over and review/balance things. I keep a rough balance sheet to remind myself where I stand, but nothing very formal.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Noticed this too recently. Mint just isn't updating on my widget like it used to. I have to manually open the app and run updates to have an accurate picture of everything.

And I don't have much either. A few bank accounts, a couple credit cards, my investments with Schwab and my TSP, and my car payment. But it's just not being accurate. Kinda bummed.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I have stayed with fat client Quicken. My buddy who works at Intuit tells me I am fool not to be using Mint, but just like the control that quicken gives me. That being said I loved Microsoft Money and was pissed when they stopped creating it.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

thirded (fourthed?) on Mint. I can't use it any longer because it can't connect to many of my accounts
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I had the same problem with Mint when I signed up a few years ago. I've been rolling with (and still love) MS Money 2004. It's too bad they quit making it. I'll keep it running as long as I can. I actually enjoy the manual input...it helps me stay on top of things. If I lose the program somehow I'll probably jump over to Quicken.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

wlu_lax6 wrote:I have stayed with fat client Quicken. My buddy who works at Intuit tells me I am fool not to be using Mint, but just like the control that quicken gives me. That being said I loved Microsoft Money and was pissed when they stopped creating it.
This. Money was so much better than Quicken. Stuck with Quicken for a long time, each version seems to get slower and more bloated without any actual new features. Wish there was a decent alternative.

It's been a while since I looked, Mint stores things in the cloud, right? Remember that being the reason I didn't try it, didn't want all my financial info stored at a third party location.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

GoodKarma wrote:I had the same problem with Mint when I signed up a few years ago. I've been rolling with (and still love) MS Money 2004. It's too bad they quit making it. I'll keep it running as long as I can. I actually enjoy the manual input...it helps me stay on top of things. If I lose the program somehow I'll probably jump over to Quicken.
1.) That migration process STINKS!!!! Quicken does a few things differently and it makes the migration really annoying..especially on securities accounts.

2.) You are running 12 year old software. Careful of security bugs

3.) You are running 12 year old software. A quick search makes it seem like that switch to Quicken will be a blast...I mean a registry hack in order to run Sunset Money....
Not sure if you got the full answer:
Info on how to do this is here (for however long it lasts):
http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-fina ... uicken.pdf
(old info but still valid).

Bottom line is make sure you have MS Money Plus (2008), or Sunset version installed on your PC. If not already so, convert your MS Money file to the 2008/Sunset version. Then Import into Quicken.

If you need MS Money Sunset, get it here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2118008

If you are running Windows 10, you will need to read and follow one of these to get MS Money Sunset to run:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/use-micro ... windows-10

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/654.aspx (contains link for patch to perform Registry change for you instead of doing it manually).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote:I guess this is unhelpful, but I have banking/investment/credit cards with multiple sources and I just go to their websites on a regular basis to go over and review/balance things. I keep a rough balance sheet to remind myself where I stand, but nothing very formal.
That's my approach too. I guess it's because we're old.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I may have found a solution!

A similar finance tracking tool, https://www.personalcapital.com/, seems to actually successfully connect to my bank and other financial institutions. I haven't used it much yet, but it looks very similar to Mint. But without my main checking account, Mint has very limited value to me anymore.

I'm optimistic this one will be a good replacement, although I hate losing my history.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote:I may have found a solution!

A similar finance tracking tool, https://www.personalcapital.com/, seems to actually successfully connect to my bank and other financial institutions. I haven't used it much yet, but it looks very similar to Mint. But without my main checking account, Mint has very limited value to me anymore.

I'm optimistic this one will be a good replacement, although I hate losing my history.

Personal Capital is an investment advisor. I am guessing the tracking tool is a loss leader to sell their robo advisor service. Betterment, Scwhab Intelligent Portfolio, Wealthfront, SigFig, Financial Engines would be their competitors not Mint/Quicken
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Well, Mint makes money by offering financial offers too. I'm fine with getting investment advice. That's a bonus actually, if it also does a good job tracking my finances. I really just got most of my accounts in today, so I'll see how it goes.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley wrote:Well, Mint makes money by offering financial offers too. I'm fine with getting investment advice. That's a bonus actually, if it also does a good job tracking my finances. I really just got most of my accounts in today, so I'll see how it goes.
Just pay attention to the fees on that side of the service.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Shirley wrote:Well, Mint makes money by offering financial offers too. I'm fine with getting investment advice. That's a bonus actually, if it also does a good job tracking my finances. I really just got most of my accounts in today, so I'll see how it goes.
Just pay attention to the fees on that side of the service.
Oh, I have no interest in paying them anything at this point. If that becomes an issue, I'll reconsider.
Totally Kafkaesque