John Glenn

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

John Glenn

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Dead at 95.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: John Glenn

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Dead at 95.
that's a good run.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's the guy from that one Billy Joel song where he just lists stuff off and people loved it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Going to the STL Science Center tonight. Will have to poor one out in his honor.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Forgot until just now (reading an obit) that he went back into space in his seventies.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Put Yeager in a bubble right now.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Rex wrote:Put Yeager in a bubble right now.
I don't know....sounds like he was not doing great...and has had some family challenges because of his 2nd wife (who is way younger).
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20151 ... s-guardian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I was huge into space flight through most of childhood, before baseball took over. Glenn loomed larger in my mind for some reason than any of the other Mercury 7 group, maybe I was just the right age (5yo). But he seemed particularly heroic to me, for some reason. And he was there that night in the hotel kitchen in 1968 when Bobby got it. He ran for president a couple of times, but didn't get anywhere close enough for even a sniff.

I loved that around the same time Hollywood was making a movie about old dude astronauts returning to space, he did it for real.

And Glenn was one of many who said Ted fucking Williams was a great fighter pilot.

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:I was huge into space flight through most of childhood, before baseball took over. Glenn loomed larger in my mind for some reason than any of the other Mercury 7 group, maybe I was just the right age (5yo). But he seemed particularly heroic to me, for some reason. And he was there that night in the hotel kitchen in 1968 when Bobby got it. He ran for president a couple of times, but didn't get anywhere close enough for even a sniff.

I loved that around the same time Hollywood was making a movie about old dude astronauts returning to space, he did it for real.

And Glenn was one of many who said Ted fucking Williams was a great fighter pilot.

There's a whole lotta career WAR in that photo. Awesome.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

howard wrote: And Glenn was one of many who said Ted fucking Williams was a great fighter pilot.

Williams and Glenn were wingmen while in Korea.

And if you haven't seen it in a while, "The Right Stuff" is a great movie. Ed Harris as Glenn is fantastic (as is Sam Sheppard as Chuck Yeager). The book is a great read as well.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ted Williams was also one of the world's greatest fishermen. Basically the guy was about the best in the world at everything he did other than raising kids and being a husband.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I forgot to mention that I met (well, shook his hand) Sen. Glenn once. I was a summer-college intern at the Free Electron Laser lab (part of Reagan's SDI "Star Wars" project) when Sen. Glenn and some other politicians came on a tour of the lab.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:He's the guy from that one Billy Joel song where he just lists stuff off and people loved it.
From 2009:

Name anyone specifcally mentioned by name or title in Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" that is still alive today (9)

Doris Day
Queen Elizabeth II
Brigitte Bardot
Fidel Castro
Chubby Checker
Bob Dylan
John Glenn
Sally Ride
Bernie Goetz
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:Ted Williams was also one of the world's greatest fishermen. Basically the guy was about the best in the world at everything he did other than raising kids and being a husband.
Collateral damage from his occasional run at world's greatest asshole.

He was also the world's greatest person at making Tony Gwynn realize he could hit for some power without compromising the rest of his skill.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote:
mister d wrote:He's the guy from that one Billy Joel song where he just lists stuff off and people loved it.
From 2009:

Name anyone specifcally mentioned by name or title in Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" that is still alive today (9)

Doris Day
Queen Elizabeth II
Brigitte Bardot
Fidel Castro
Chubby Checker
Bob Dylan
John Glenn
Sally Ride
Bernie Goetz
Cola Wars.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.