Re: Ball of Confusion

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:08 pm
And there advice (while most likely very expensive) is really, really bad.

Bolsonaro will probably never set foot in Brazil again.
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yup. He's actually living in Florida now. Not even kidding.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:39 pm Yup. He's actually living in Florida now. Not even kidding.
There were clips of him walking around Publix a week or so ago.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:10 am
Johnnie wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:39 pm Yup. He's actually living in Florida now. Not even kidding.
As one does...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:17 am
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:10 am
As one does...
Fascist dictators, they're just like us!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And already 1,500 people are in custody. At least Brazil won't put up with that shit.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:09 pm And already 1,500 people are in custody. At least Brazil won't put up with that shit.
Helps that Lula was already inaugurated. If Biden had been inaugurated before January 6, he could’ve been calling out the National Guard instead of Trump refusing to do so.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Seems not so good in Israel right now.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Good lord. What a tragedy. For everyone there.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Sane Israelis will soon be turning their attention from the religious right's attempts to emulate Iran to the catastrophic failure of military intelligence. Netanyahu's entire selling point is that only he can keep Israel safe.
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:42 pm Sane Israelis will soon be turning their attention from the religious right's attempts to emulate Iran to the catastrophic failure of military intelligence. Netanyahu's entire selling point is that only he can keep Israel safe.
Yeah that’s just one of the dozens of tragedies of this. Bellicosity by Israel is only so effective to a point and without a carrot to go with the stick….

But Bibi’s whole schtick is he’s the only one standing in the way of these kinds of tragedies. Not so much I guess.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I hate to be that guy, but is there any appreciable chance this was a false flag?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:54 pm I hate to be that guy, but is there any appreciable chance this was a false flag?
If this attack is as big as currently reported, that’d be hard to imagine. Humongous risk and not much upside, IMO.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I wasn’t trying to suggest anything. I frankly don’t understand the problem as much as I feel I should, but from what I can gather both sides have valid arguments, and neither side is dealing with anything close to clean hands in their actions. It’s just a horribly unfortunate situation, and the religious aspects of it seem like this will never end.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Malcolm X, chickens coming home to roost, things of that nature.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:22 pm I wasn’t trying to suggest anything. I frankly don’t understand the problem as much as I feel I should, but from what I can gather both sides have valid arguments, and neither side is dealing with anything close to clean hands in their actions. It’s just a horribly unfortunate situation, and the religious aspects of it seem like this will never end.
From my perspective, Israel exercises a brutal, extreme right occupation of Palestine.
BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:06 pm Malcolm X, chickens coming home to roost, things of that nature.
Indeed.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Do you mean right as in “correct” or right as in “right-wing”?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:53 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:22 pm I wasn’t trying to suggest anything. I frankly don’t understand the problem as much as I feel I should, but from what I can gather both sides have valid arguments, and neither side is dealing with anything close to clean hands in their actions. It’s just a horribly unfortunate situation, and the religious aspects of it seem like this will never end.
From my perspective, Israel exercises a brutal, extreme right occupation of Palestine.
For sure.

But I don’t see how murdering a bunch of Israeli teens will stop that, or make it end any sooner. It’ll just lead to more death and oppression for the Palestinians.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:47 pm
For sure.

But I don’t see how murdering a bunch of Israeli teens will stop that, or make it end any sooner. It’ll just lead to more death and oppression for the Palestinians.
Extrapolate my point though. Why expect a measured response when your oppressor routinely torments you with its boot on your neck?
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:08 pm
For sure.

Extrapolate my point though. Why expect a measured response when your oppressor routinely torments you with its boot on your neck?
The attack is understandable. Just, IMO, not justifiable in a moral sense.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Anyone want to give the history here? There's probably some groups that care a lot but when you've been fighting for the last 75? years your problems have worn out their welcome globally.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:17 am Anyone want to give the history here? There's probably some groups that care a lot but when you've been fighting for the last 75? years your problems have worn out their welcome globally.
Set aside for the moment the fact that Benjamin Netanyahu is the king of stochastic terror. The fact there's a sentiment out there that suggests the plight of the Palestinians has 'worn out its welcome' on the global stage is why they might go to such extreme measures.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:04 pm Do you mean right as in “correct” or right as in “right-wing”?
Sorry I just saw this. Extreme right wing.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:24 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:08 pm
For sure.

The attack is understandable. Just, IMO, not justifiable in a moral sense.
No offense, but this is crap. You (we) lack the proper perspective to pass judgement on a slow motion train wreck that was built specifically to crush the will of a displaced people.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Eh, I'm pretty sure I have enough perspective to decide that it's immoral to deliberately kill hundreds of people, and instigate actions that will kill thousands more, just to make a point.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:07 pm Eh, I'm pretty sure I have enough perspective to decide that it's immoral to deliberately kill hundreds of people, and instigate actions that will kill thousands more, just to make a point.
My only contribution in this discussion will be to echo these sentiments.
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:27 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:07 pm Eh, I'm pretty sure I have enough perspective to decide that it's immoral to deliberately kill hundreds of people, and instigate actions that will kill thousands more, just to make a point.
Non-violent protest with fringe violence making the unspoken point of “this could be what comes next” was very effective in the 20th century. Sadly I don’t know if it would move the needle these days. The Israeli people sure as shit don’t seem to care about the plight of the people their government is persecuting.

As a general statement separated from this cock-up I’m going to throw a huge “fuck that” to anyone who wants to espouse anything along the lines of “violence is never the answer”. Sometimes it’s the ONLY answer.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Come on Pruitt. I know maybe close to home but if the conversation cant be had here well were all fucked. Lots of shit talking but someone please enlighten us. I saw something in wapo but blocked so... if it can't be had here we're all fucked
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s immoral for Hamas to target civilians and equally as immoral for the IDF to do the same. Yet both continue to do it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BeckyHammon’s hoodie wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:31 pm
Non-violent protest with fringe violence making the unspoken point of “this could be what comes next” was very effective in the 20th century. Sadly I don’t know if it would move the needle these days. The Israeli people sure as shit don’t seem to care about the plight of the people their government is persecuting.

As a general statement separated from this cock-up I’m going to throw a huge “fuck that” to anyone who wants to espouse anything along the lines of “violence is never the answer”. Sometimes it’s the ONLY answer.
I think violence can be an answer sometimes. But there’s different types and degrees of violence. If Hamas limited its attacks to an IDF base, that could theoretically be justifiable. But this weekend’s murder spree was basically another 9/11. It wasn’t ok on 9/11 and it’s not okay now.

Edit: It’s impossible to say where the line is between justifiable violence and non-justifiable violence. But wherever that line is, the Hamas attacks are way past it.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Seconded, although I’ve written and deleted 20 posts on this thread since yesterday.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

I truly respect and even crave everyone's opinions in here - i've been intentionally not watching a second of news because (24/7 news very literally gives me some big triggers...) i'm sure it'll be dramatized/opinionated in a way i don't need. I really have trouble with this conflict (jfc i'm even using bullshit euphemisms. ok war) in particular and I'm not quite sure how yet. Or if I ever have been.

I do always think it's really important to not have any snap judgements other than...well, the obvious (killing mass amounts of people is pretty much the lowest point imaginable. I think.). But it really is vastly complex with so many root issues - fk, 30 (um more than 30) years ago i was taking classes on this conflict in university. Sigh. As a staunch athiest who has morphed from "religion is fine but silly" to my current "religion is the worst poison humanity has ever created" I tend to get knee-jerky with religious conflicts but obviouslyobviously there is so much more.

...anyone care to weigh in on anything in here...:

https://www.hamiltonnolan.com/p/retire- ... -terrorism

edit: meant to include this part which is sure to be spicy - don't mean to inflame at all - I'm always learning. I really would like to hear what you guys think...
In an interview with CNN yesterday, Dr. Mustafa Barghouti, a leader of the Palestinian National Initiative, said this: “We have lived all our lives under occupation. My father lived under occupation. My daughter is living under occupation. We want a time, when we, the Palestinians will be free. Hamas was not there thirty years or forty years ago. But before that, the P.L.O. was described as terrorists. Any Palestinian who struggles for his rights, or for freedom, is described as ‘terrorist.’ And the question here, ‘Do we have the right to struggle for freedom? Do we have the right to struggle for real democracy? Do we have the right to have normal democratic elections, which unfortunately Israel and the United States don’t support?’ I think we are entitled to that. But the unfortunate thing, if we struggle in a military form, we are terrorists. If we struggle in a nonviolent way, we are described as violent. If we even resist with words, we are described as provocateurs. If you support Palestinians and you are a foreigner, they describe you as ‘Anti-Semite.’ And if you are a Jewish person—and there are many—who supports the Palestinian cause, they call him ‘self-hating Jew.’ This should end. It doesn’t make sense.”

It doesn’t make sense. Rarely do we get such a good opportunity for addition by subtraction as we have here. No more “terrorism.” No more “terrorist.” No more “terror,” or wars that are allegedly being fought against it. Describe things as they are, and how they came to be. A little less laziness can do a lot of good.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I dunno. The PLO *were* terrorists under most common definitions of the word.

To be clear, while I'm saying that the attacks last weekend were evil, that doesn't mean I'm saying that Palestinians are evil, or that the Israelis are "good", or that the occupation is justified.

Hell, I think it's possible to say that "Israel" an an abstract entity deserved some kind of attack, given the endless brutal occupation and blockade of Gaza, expansion of the West Bank settlements, etc. But the attack wasn't simply on "Israel," but on hundreds of individual people - and there is no way that those individuals deserved what happened.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i know - i agree w/ everything you said, which is - again all due respect - still kinda talking in circles isn't it? that's what makes this so maddening and i'm just some average privileged white guy who is as far removed from this as possible. Not even talking about the international political shouting that inevitably follows ... or doesn't even follow, there's just everyone's assigned sides.

easy for me to just say "religion bad" and turn up the music. which is awful - jkjk.

(mostly)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:22 am I truly respect and even crave everyone's opinions in here - i've been intentionally not watching a second of news because (24/7 news very literally gives me some big triggers...) i'm sure it'll be dramatized/opinionated in a way i don't need. I really have trouble with this conflict (jfc i'm even using bullshit euphemisms. ok war) in particular and I'm not quite sure how yet. Or if I ever have been.

I do always think it's really important to not have any snap judgements other than...well, the obvious (killing mass amounts of people is pretty much the lowest point imaginable. I think.). But it really is vastly complex with so many root issues - fk, 30 (um more than 30) years ago i was taking classes on this conflict in university. Sigh. As a staunch athiest who has morphed from "religion is fine but silly" to my current "religion is the worst poison humanity has ever created" I tend to get knee-jerky with religious conflicts but obviouslyobviously there is so much more.

...anyone care to weigh in on anything in here...:

https://www.hamiltonnolan.com/p/retire- ... -terrorism

edit: meant to include this part which is sure to be spicy - don't mean to inflame at all - I'm always learning. I really would like to hear what you guys think...
In an interview with CNN yesterday, Dr. Mustafa Barghouti, a leader of the Palestinian National Initiative, said this: “We have lived all our lives under occupation. My father lived under occupation. My daughter is living under occupation. We want a time, when we, the Palestinians will be free. Hamas was not there thirty years or forty years ago. But before that, the P.L.O. was described as terrorists. Any Palestinian who struggles for his rights, or for freedom, is described as ‘terrorist.’ And the question here, ‘Do we have the right to struggle for freedom? Do we have the right to struggle for real democracy? Do we have the right to have normal democratic elections, which unfortunately Israel and the United States don’t support?’ I think we are entitled to that. But the unfortunate thing, if we struggle in a military form, we are terrorists. If we struggle in a nonviolent way, we are described as violent. If we even resist with words, we are described as provocateurs. If you support Palestinians and you are a foreigner, they describe you as ‘Anti-Semite.’ And if you are a Jewish person—and there are many—who supports the Palestinian cause, they call him ‘self-hating Jew.’ This should end. It doesn’t make sense.”

It doesn’t make sense. Rarely do we get such a good opportunity for addition by subtraction as we have here. No more “terrorism.” No more “terrorist.” No more “terror,” or wars that are allegedly being fought against it. Describe things as they are, and how they came to be. A little less laziness can do a lot of good.
Interesting article, thought provoking, though I disagree with the idea that we should never use the term terrorist. Some acts ARE terrorism. I wrote about this yesterday about someone else's post, but it didn't post. Anyways, this article also reminds me of a letter to the editor my childhood friend submitted to the local paper after 9/11. He was living abroad, and experienced 9/11 through foreign media (not sure if it was South Korea or Thailand at that time). Anyways, my father clipped the paper and mailed it with a note saying, "look at what your asshole buddy wrote." Basically defended the 9/11 terrorists and blaming US foreign policy for the attacks and using a great quote, "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." He was upset at the American reaction to 9/11, assuming we are the good guys in the world.

I do agree that the press never should have accepted and used the Bush admin's term "War on Terror." Drove me nuts at the time, as you can't fight a war against an idea, and bombing the crap out of a country is just going to create more people willing to take up arms against you. Both the term and the concept were bad ideas. I do get the authors point that using the term terrorism implies one side is bad and one is good. If you were to read the British media during the American Revolution, I'm sure they depicted the Continental Army as terrorist because they didn't follow the rules of War stand in straight lines and shoot, but instead hid behind trees and fought dirty. If you are the weaker power in a war, you can't fight clean. Kind of like in Vietnam. But to me, terrorism is different than sneak attacks on military. I'm too lazy to look up the definition, but it's something to the effect of committing acts of violence to create fear in order to bring about political change. Killing civilians at a concert is an act of terrorism, regardless of whether or not the actors have a just political cause.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Also, I thought Jared Kushner solved the Middle East.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:10 pmIf you were to read the British media during the American Revolution, I'm sure they depicted the Continental Army as terrorist ...
Didn't the British refer to the Israelis fighting for an independent Jewish state before 1948 as terrorists? I think Menachem Begin, who was Israel's Prime Minister during some high-profile PLO attacks, had been known as a terrorist.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:51 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:10 pmIf you were to read the British media during the American Revolution, I'm sure they depicted the Continental Army as terrorist ...
Didn't the British refer to the Israelis fighting for an independent Jewish state before 1948 as terrorists? I think Menachem Begin, who was Israel's Prime Minister during some high-profile PLO attacks, had been known as a terrorist.
So we agree, the problem is British! I'm not aware of that, but not surprised. And jokes aside, I do blame the British for a lot of the Israel/Palestine problems. They promised the same land to both groups and created the land dispute and one-state system. And I know conflicts exists for centuries prior.
-Pruitt