New Year's Resolutions

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: New Year's Resolutions

Post by A_B »

Bounce makes a fabric refresher that knocks out small wrinkles easily. Might be an option to store in the desk.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 am I've never been a resolution guy, but what the fuck, maybe typing out some goals will help me do something to break my current zombie sleepwalking through life rut.

1.) Lose weight, of course. Giving up beer would be the easy solution, but that ain't happening. Sadly, beer has become my only hobby. Drinking, buying and making. Now I've found several parents on my kids sports teams who are equally into beer, so I've been making friends with them, and reconnecting with a college friend over this obsession.

2.) Join a sports league. Haven't played on a team since having kids. All of the adult soccer leagues I'm finding play on weeknights at 9-midnight, and are all 20+ minutes away. I need to suck it up and commit.

3.) Meditation might be a good idea, people say it helps with "being present," which is my biggest issue with depression, which is the cause of the zombie sleepwalking issue.

That's a good start.
sunday mornings, 8a, 9a or 10a kickoff - drive to mine, we drive down to the league games. o50s.. some ex pros, some somewhat new to the game, $100 for the season and you get to wear orange.. have the missus drive the kids to their games.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

modified dry january-ary - no imbibing on school nights.. ginger lemon tea.. yum (except for mancation week out in Sun Valley, especially if there's no actual snow)
mental self care -- about time i start doing that

that should be enough to keep me busy
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:04 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 am I've never been a resolution guy, but what the fuck, maybe typing out some goals will help me do something to break my current zombie sleepwalking through life rut.

1.) Lose weight, of course. Giving up beer would be the easy solution, but that ain't happening. Sadly, beer has become my only hobby. Drinking, buying and making. Now I've found several parents on my kids sports teams who are equally into beer, so I've been making friends with them, and reconnecting with a college friend over this obsession.

2.) Join a sports league. Haven't played on a team since having kids. All of the adult soccer leagues I'm finding play on weeknights at 9-midnight, and are all 20+ minutes away. I need to suck it up and commit.

3.) Meditation might be a good idea, people say it helps with "being present," which is my biggest issue with depression, which is the cause of the zombie sleepwalking issue.

That's a good start.
sunday mornings, 8a, 9a or 10a kickoff - drive to mine, we drive down to the league games. o50s.. some ex pros, some somewhat new to the game, $100 for the season and you get to wear orange.. have the missus drive the kids to their games.
This is funny, absolutely no memory of writing this. Took care of both 1 and 3 by going off anti-depressants. Never meditated, but going off meds made the zombie feeling lift. Lost 55 pounds (eventually gained 30 back) when I went off the meds, basically left me with no appetite for a year or so. I actually had visible abs for a couple of months, too bad it was right before the COVID lockdown and by the time society reopened the weight came back.

Thanks for the invite, Flaco, but how old do you think I am! Do they card to play in this league? I started playing tennis year-round with a group of guys Saturday mornings and also joined an outdoor doubles league. And you should know the wife well enough to know she isn't driving to Maryland or Delaware to away games. Bad enough she had to drive to Philly when I was out of town. So while I never tried meditating, I feel like I eventually met all of these goals.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

you can't be that far behind? can you?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:31 pm you can't be that far behind? can you?
3 more years.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

* We have implemented a "no drinking Monday-Wednesday" rule. Going completely dry is just not fun for us.

* Find a new job. It's time to move on.

* Hard to explain, but... Especially when it comes to projects around the house, I almost always get all stressed and exclaim "it can't be done!" only to get over myself, buckle down, go to YouTube and 90 percent of the time... Things get fixed.

My resolution is to cut out the bullshit on the front-end and just get after things. (This also happens to "turn on" my wife... the getting things done part... I know this is just a tactic... it works.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The no drinking Mon-Wed has suffered a bit due to the National Championship and MLK Day. But, still, it's already making a pretty big difference for both of us.

That said, TH nite when I'm teleworking on Fridays means I need to not treat it like an actual Friday.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.