Road Races, Marathons, etc

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Road Races, Marathons, etc

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Guy from my area is 2 for 2 in the Global Marathon event (7 marathons on the 7 continents in 7 days). Broke the record for fastest marathon in Antarctica at 2:54:54. Ran a 2:45:42 this morning in Punta Arenas. Event’s record average race time of 3:32:25. 33 runners are in the event including Ryan Hall.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports ... -days-why/
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Road Races, Marathons, etc

Post by wlu_lax6 »

He did it. 7 in 7 days all sub-3.
https://www.arlnow.com/2017/01/30/arlin ... on-record/

“I also just finished an extra 17 miles to get to 200 miles for the week and that was awesome. I have never run this far before in a week so I am pretty fired up.”

Best part. His last race was in Australia. He is going home for a few days before going to New Zealand for a 102KM race.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

30:15 is a fast 5 miler....30:15 5 miler with a 12 Krispy Kreme doughnut pitstop is just crazy.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/ ... 72154.html
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

PR with one shoe and bleeding on the track
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... d10ec45584
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, I read about that yesterday. I love that the key evidence was when they zoomed in on her watch to read the distance. CSI indeed. Enhance!
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

young whipper snapper nipped him at the line
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... ed3801fcb1
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Three elite marathoners with the help of Nike are attempting to break a sub-2 hour marathon Saturday (world record is 2:02:57).

This would arguably be a bigger achievement than breaking the four minute mile. Even with technological advancements and the somewhat unusual steps they're using to try and break the record, this will push the limits of what the human body is capable of. Running at over 13 miles an hour for two hours straight.

http://www.runnersworld.com/2-hour-mara ... on-attempt
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote:Three elite marathoners with the help of Nike are attempting to break a sub-2 hour marathon Saturday (world record is 2:02:57).

This would arguably be a bigger achievement than breaking the four minute mile. Even with technological advancements and the somewhat unusual steps they're using to try and break the record, this will push the limits of what the human body is capable of. Running at over 13 miles an hour for two hours straight.
This is cool but it is a Nike Science experiment.
Runners World wrote:Nike is looking at every possible element known to affect marathon performance, including weather, course, pacing, nutrition, and, of course, shoes and other gear. Nike has created a shoe with a spring plate in the sole to be used in its sub-2 attempt.

Details about the Adidas project are scant—no timeline has been announced—but the attempt, unlike Nike’s, will reportedly be made on a current marathon course. If that’s the case, the logical choice would be Berlin, where the last six men’s world records have been set. Like Nike, Adidas is counting on innovations in shoe technology to get to sub-2. In February, the company launched its sub-2 shoe at the Tokyo Marathon, where winner and former world record-holder Wilson Kipsang wore it. (Despite lowering the Tokyo event record, Kipsang was nearly 4 minutes off the sub-2 barrier.)
and like he says
http://www.runnersworld.com/running-sho ... on/slide/1
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The shoes the Nike runners are wearing on Saturday are IAAF legal, so while on some level it's essentially an advertisement, a lot of the other steps they're taking like bringing in elite runners as pacers during the race and using (legal) drafting techniques might be a bigger story.

ETA: Put another way -- at this point there's no way shoe technology can account for breaking a world record by about 6 percent, which is what they're trying to do. Not the best analogy because the races couldn't be more different, but the math is right -- it would be like trying to break the 100 meter record by dropping it from 10 seconds to 9.4 seconds.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It comes out to a 4:35 mile for 26.2 consecutive miles. Uh, holy shit.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote:The shoes the Nike runners are wearing on Saturday are IAAF legal, so while on some level it's essentially an advertisement, a lot of the other steps they're taking like bringing in elite runners as pacers during the race and using (legal) drafting techniques might be a bigger story.

ETA: Put another way -- at this point there's no way shoe technology can account for breaking a world record by about 6 percent, which is what they're trying to do. Not the best analogy because the races couldn't be more different, but the math is right -- it would be like trying to break the 100 meter record by dropping it from 10 seconds to 9.4 seconds.
Oh this is impressive and no dig for the effort. My comment about the shoes is that is why Nike is putting the effort in. However, this is a manufactured shot at the record. The course was specifically selected, etc. The current record was the legit Berlin Marathon event and not 12 guys on an F1 course doing laps.

Just feels different than the cycling hour record where they really try to make it about the athlete and less about the bike and velodrome (although there is a reason that certain velodromes are selected over others).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If anything, the fact they're doing it on an F1 course would mean it's harder than it could be so the course selection means pretty little to me as far as de-legitimizing the would-be record. (The easiest course to set a WR on that could still be IAAF-legal would be a 13.1-mile straightaway and return since turns cause you to have to slow down a little. In fact, unless they thought it was too cynical I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to find something that might more closely fit that bill.)

The reason so many records are set in Berlin is that the course is tabletop flat and essentially straight for long distances.

ETA: I suspect the course selection had more to do with being able to completely control the environment (i.e. closed course) than it did with any ability to aid the effort.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay fine but let's see Nike support this marathon effort
http://www.espn.com/sports/endurance/st ... rilla-suit
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Quite an effort from Kipchoge. 2:00:24. Fastest marathon in human history.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Easiest celebrity marathon sighting ever (yes, I'm slow with the camera)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Assuming that's Chara? Every time I saw his DraftKings ad on the side of a garbage can or something last week I thought he had a bloody nose.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Yes. A friend who didn't know who he was got to meet him because her friend paced him. And his time was almost an hour better than the one I had last fall. I'm starting to think he has more natural athleticism than me. Some better pics I took:

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Love this thread, forgot it existed. Was rooting hard for Bates yesterday, but she faded near the end. Still got top American. Scott Fauble had a great run too.

It looked like Kipchoge missed a hydration bottle just before he fell of the lead pack as well, but I'm not sure if that was confirmed.

My good friend 48yoF finished in just over 3 hours and her sister in 3:25. My new run crew had 3 runners up there and the dude ran 2:43. This is the same guy that came in second place in the recent mile race I did, with a time of 4:49.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Zdeno Chara 3:38
Ryan Dempster 4:42
Doug Flutie 5:28
Brock Holt 5:47
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hockey twitter guy Travis Yost was 2:43 which seems pretty insane.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:18 pm Hockey twitter guy Travis Yost was 2:43 which seems pretty insane.
Damn, that's fast as hell.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Zdeno Charra just ran an ultra trail race: 31.83 miles at a 9:41 pace. He did a few training runs on the same hills I run on in Waltham but no meetings yet (yes, I'm stalking him on Strava). The woman who is training him ran 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents: https://beccapizzi.com/
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EdRomero wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:33 pm Zdeno Charra just ran an ultra trail race: 31.83 miles at a 9:41 pace. He did a few training runs on the same hills I run on in Waltham but no meetings yet (yes, I'm stalking him on Strava). The woman who is training him ran 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents: https://beccapizzi.com/
My Zdeno stalking continues -- he just ran 7:53 pace marathon supporting his trainer who just finished a marathon in Wyoming, which was the last of her 50 marathons in 50 states.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-br ... _secondary
Just six days after finishing his second Boston Marathon with a time of 3:30:53, Chara finished the 2024 London Marathon on Sunday afternoon — completing the race with a time of 3:11:04.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:20 pm https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-br ... _secondary
Just six days after finishing his second Boston Marathon with a time of 3:30:53, Chara finished the 2024 London Marathon on Sunday afternoon — completing the race with a time of 3:11:04.
My wife is trying to get into London next year, Berlin this year. Looking to get the World Marathon medal which also includes Tokyo (she's trying for 2026) as well as (she's already run) Boston, NYC, and Chicago.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:02 pm
EdRomero wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:20 pm https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-br ... _secondary
My wife is trying to get into London next year, Berlin this year. Looking to get the World Marathon medal which also includes Tokyo (she's trying for 2026) as well as (she's already run) Boston, NYC, and Chicago.
I've got marathon fever after tracking 10 from my running group at Boston a week ago. I've got a long way to go to get qualifying times for any of the majors, but ultimately, that's the goal. It's funny too, everyone talks about getting a BQ (Boston Qualifying time), but at my age and gender it's the easiest of the 6 majors (3:20). Chicago is the same, NYC is 3:05, London is 3:10, Berlin is 2:55!, and Tokyo is under 2:45!!

Of course, there are "tour operators" and charity groups where you can pay/fundraise your way in.

I've got a 4 miler on July 4th on the books as well as a hilly 5k in Asheville later in July and strongly considering a half marathon in early November as a warm up race/training long run for a December 1 marathon (my first) near Cocoa Beach.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bro, what part of Asheville isn't hilly, amiright?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:49 am Bro, what part of Asheville isn't hilly, amiright?
Yes, my local friend. Only the real ones know about the trails along the river.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

All Feet Stand Under the Stars.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:27 am
I've got marathon fever after tracking 10 from my running group at Boston a week ago. I've got a long way to go to get qualifying times for any of the majors, but ultimately, that's the goal. It's funny too, everyone talks about getting a BQ (Boston Qualifying time), but at my age and gender it's the easiest of the 6 majors (3:20). Chicago is the same, NYC is 3:05, London is 3:10, Berlin is 2:55!, and Tokyo is under 2:45!!

Of course, there are "tour operators" and charity groups where you can pay/fundraise your way in.

I've got a 4 miler on July 4th on the books as well as a hilly 5k in Asheville later in July and strongly considering a half marathon in early November as a warm up race/training long run for a December 1 marathon (my first) near Cocoa Beach.
Congrats on signing up for a marathon. This year made me think I would never do Boston. You basically need to raise $10k and then something like this year happens when the weather turns out to be shitty or my training goes to shit with illness, etc.. I think the smaller races are the way to go. Unless I luck into a bib. I'm nowhere close to qualifying and for Boston I know two people that got a BQ time but then they made the time tougher because too many people BQ'ed, so they didn't get in.

The BAA Half is in early November if you're looking for an early November race..very crowded but a fun race.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EdRomero wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:03 am
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:27 am

Congrats on signing up for a marathon. This year made me think I would never do Boston. You basically need to raise $10k and then something like this year happens when the weather turns out to be shitty or my training goes to shit with illness, etc.. I think the smaller races are the way to go. Unless I luck into a bib. I'm nowhere close to qualifying and for Boston I know two people that got a BQ time but then they made the time tougher because too many people BQ'ed, so they didn't get in.

The BAA Half is in early November if you're looking for an early November race..very crowded but a fun race.
This happened to my wife. She ran her first marathon at CIM in Sacramento in December of 2022 and made her BQ time by only 30 seconds. Boston cut all qualifying times by about 6 minutes for this year's race so she didn't get to run it.

It sounds like the fundraising amount is less for some of the NYC marathon groups. I may look into that in the future. Gotta figure out if these legs and lungs can get me through 26.2 miles first.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This story was linked in the MIB newsletter this morning:

London Marathoner drinks 25 glasses of wine during run, raising $24k for charity
This story is giving notes of generosity, delight, and… a bit of intrigue.

It’s all thanks to Tom Gilbey, a wine connoisseur who ran the London Marathon this weekend fueled by something a little stronger than water and sports drinks.

In fact, you may have seen him on your social media feeds, doing a blind wine taste test for every mile he ran on the course.

The 52-year-old ran the marathon with two wine glasses tucked in his running belt — the one on the left for whites, and the one on the right for reds.

For every pause in the race, he swirled his elixir, took a sip, and was required to name the vintage, grape, and producer.