Mary Tyler Moore

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Mary Tyler Moore

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Mary Tyler Moore

Post by bfj »

I guess she's not gonna make it after all.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Up there on the Mount Rushmore of American comediennes with Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett. RIP.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If she had never ever acted and was "only" a producer, would still be one of the most influential people in the history of television.

The Bob Newhart Show
Hill Street Blues
St. Elsewhere
WKRP in Cincinnati

Pretty amazing career.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Surely one of the greats in television history.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote:Up there on the Mount Rushmore of American comediennes with Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett. RIP.
You need a 4th. Probably Kathy Griffin.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Was also amazing as the ICE MOM in "Ordinary People".
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:
brian wrote:Up there on the Mount Rushmore of American comediennes with Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett. RIP.
You need a 4th. Probably Kathy Griffin.
How dare you!

I'll nominate Tina Fey.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Everybody loved her in the MTM show, and the Dick Van Dyke show, but she was also great in Ordinary People.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt wrote:How dare you!
Not to hijack, but I'm not sure I've ever found anyone who peaked before I was born to be funny.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:
Not to hijack, but I'm not sure I've ever found anyone who peaked before I was born to be funny.
Understand totally.

When I was a kid, we watched Carol Burnett and never ever laughed. Meanwhile, my grandmother loved it.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote:
mister d wrote:
Understand totally.

When I was a kid, we watched Carol Burnett and never ever laughed. Meanwhile, my grandmother loved it.
You have no soul. Carol Burnett>MTM and it ain't even close.

I never found MTM funny, her show was funny, but not because of her. That was an amazing ensemble cast. She had her shtick where she would have a funny cry or show up a man because she was his equal, damnit.
Last edited by bfj on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
mister d wrote:
Understand totally.

You have no soul. Carol Burnett>MTM and it ain't even close.
Appreciate her, never found her funny though.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

MTM was never a comedienne, per se. She was originally a dancer, then became an actress, notably in two successful TV comedies. So comparing her to sketch comediennes like Carol Burnett is apples and oranges.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:

So who's on first isn't funny? You're a demon.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:Not to hijack, but I'm not sure I've ever found anyone who peaked before I was born to be funny.
I still enjoy the Marx Brothers, especially Groucho.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not even a little, and yet I've laughed at this four separate times and another 40 just thinking of it.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote:Not even a little, and yet I've laughed at this four separate times and another 40 just thinking of it.
Really? That's not all that funny.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote:MTM was never a comedienne, per se. She was originally a dancer, then became an actress, notably in two successful TV comedies. So comparing her to sketch comediennes like Carol Burnett is apples and oranges.
Then she can't be on Mt. Rushmore!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote:
sancarlos wrote:MTM was never a comedienne, per se. She was originally a dancer, then became an actress, notably in two successful TV comedies. So comparing her to sketch comediennes like Carol Burnett is apples and oranges.
I'd argue she belongs on a Mt Rushmore of seminal Hollywood players, and is on a very short list of most influential women in popular culture of all time.

At any rate, she left a lot larger of an impression on young women out of the Equal Rights Amendment era than Carol Burnett did.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:Not even a little, and yet I've laughed at this four separate times and another 40 just thinking of it.
I laughed!

A lot of old time comedy stands up for me. Maybe because I'm getting old. God help me, I still laugh at the Three Stooges.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote:
bfj wrote:
I'd argue she belongs on a Mt Rushmore of seminal Hollywood players, and is on a very short list of most influential women in popular culture of all time.

At any rate, she left a lot larger of an impression on young women out of the Equal Rights Amendment era than Carol Burnett did.
That still doesn't make her funny. Which is what this discussion was about.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Harriett Tubman was pretty influential too so lets get her on the mountain.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:Harriett Tubman was pretty influential too so lets get her on the mountain.
Also funnier than MTM.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Rita Rudner
Paula Poundstone
Elayne Boozler
Judy Tenuta
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:
bfj wrote:

That still doesn't make her funny. Which is what this discussion was about.
Correct, because you hi-jacked her RIP thread with a joke, and then proceeded to claim she was unfunny and apparently unworthy of accolades.

I was attempting to correct the discussion so that it gets pointed in a direction more apropos of her passing.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote:Harriett Tubman was pretty influential too so lets get her on the mountain.
Harriet Tubman? As if her value additions to society need to be conflated with what Mary Tyler Moore accomplished? What's the point?

I mean, I get it. You don't find her funny. She was always willing to let the other cast members get the lines, anyway. But her body of work, notably in production after the MTM show, bears consideration.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I figured I'd throw some shade at your joke:
bfj wrote:I guess she's not gonna make it after all.
Actually, I'd say she did make it after all.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Look everyone. A new moral compass for the Swamp. I never said she wasn't talented or influential, just not funny. IN MY OPINION. Her work as an actress and as a producer is impressive. Ordinary People was a great movie and she was fantastic in it. The shows she produced were amazing.

I make jokes, that's what funny people do. I don't chastise people, that what douchebags do.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Who the fuck is Mary Tyler Moore?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote:Who the fuck is Mary Tyler Moore?
She could turn the world on with a smile.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:Who the fuck is Mary Tyler Moore?
Some lady in a weezer song.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote:Look everyone. A new moral compass for the Swamp. I never said she wasn't talented or influential, just not funny. IN MY OPINION. Her work as an actress and as a producer is impressive. Ordinary People was a great movie and she was fantastic in it. The shows she produced were amazing.

I make jokes, that's what funny people do. I don't chastise people, that what douchebags do.
Funny people recognize that timing is everything.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EnochRoot wrote:I mean, I get it. You don't find her funny.
On the contrary, I legitimately don't think I've ever seen a single show (or movie?) she's been on (in).
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote:
bfj wrote:Look everyone. A new moral compass for the Swamp. I never said she wasn't talented or influential, just not funny. IN MY OPINION. Her work as an actress and as a producer is impressive. Ordinary People was a great movie and she was fantastic in it. The shows she produced were amazing.

It was the first post. That's timing.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:

Then feel free to borrow my moral compass as needed. I'd put that in orange, but yeah...No.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote:
bfj wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:

Then feel free to borrow my moral compass as needed. I'd put that in orange, but yeah...No.
Zing!!!

Did you lose your mic drop emoji?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

GUYS GUYS STOP YOU KNOW THIS ISN'T WHAT MARY TYLER MOORE WOULD HAVE WANTED!!!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:GUYS GUYS STOP YOU KNOW THIS ISN'T WHAT MARY TYLER MOORE WOULD HAVE WANTED!!!
She could take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's probably from like a theme song or something, huh?