Food Phobias

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Food Phobias

Post by TT2.0 »

kind of a spinoff from a discussion i was having in the breakfast thread. im terrified of eggs. ive never actually eaten one, but the thought of it freaks me out. i have no idea what they taste like, and i have no basis for this fear besides believing they are responsible for my dads first heart attack. if i ever tried an egg i wouldnt even know if it was cooked right or tasted like its supposed to. do any of you have any food phobias, particularly items you have never eaten, or am i just weirder than even i thought i was?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Food Phobias

Post by A_B »

Nope. Youre just a weird moherfucker.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

have you heard of that swedish fish in a tin can that smells like ass? have you tried it? does the thought of it gross you out? cause if so, thats exactly how i feel about eggs. you didnt have to call me a motherfucker though...i hate AB the drunk
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

When my dad turned 45 in 1983, one of his friends gave him the humor book "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche". I didn't pick up that it was satire when I read it because I was 9, and because of that, I've never once had it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

L-Jam3 wrote:When my dad turned 45 in 1983, one of his friends gave him the humor book "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche". I didn't pick up that it was satire when I read it because I was 9, and because of that, I've never once had it.
thank you...at least LJam has my back
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Go eat a fucking egg and report back. I'd suggest a well made deviled egg but since your skittish go waffle house scrambled. More or less tasteless. Texture is a bit unappealing I'll admit. Shit if you really want the experience why not go Rocky style. Virginia sucks.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ab is sober as a judge and still thinks you're a weird motherfucker.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:Ab is sober as a judge and still thinks you're a weird motherfucker.
AB is so angry when he hasn't gotten his fix.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

TT2.0 wrote:kind of a spinoff from a discussion i was having in the breakfast thread. im terrified of eggs. ive never actually eaten one, but the thought of it freaks me out. i have no idea what they taste like, and i have no basis for this fear besides believing they are responsible for my dads first heart attack. if i ever tried an egg i wouldnt even know if it was cooked right or tasted like its supposed to. do any of you have any food phobias, particularly items you have never eaten, or am i just weirder than even i thought i was?
Eggs are a fantastic source of protein, and you're more likely to keep the weight off with them in your diet as opposed to starches like bagels.

Kind of to the point of the thread though: I tried cilantro several times and it always tasted disorienting to me. For decades I didn't know why. I just figured that it was the one food 'stuff' that I hated more than anything else. Turned out my loathing of it is in my genes.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I think I've had eggplant once in a sandwich where I could barely taste it, but otherwise have never tried it because it just looks and sounds unappealing, so maybe TT isn't so weird after all.

There's a bunch of vegetables I've never tried or tried once: turnips, asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, squash...

I have an aversion to seafood that isn't fish--tried crab, lobster, clams maybe once or twice, never had oysters or mussels.

Mentioned here before that I've had less than the equivalent of one cup of coffee in my life. I just don't get it. It tastes like burnt, rancid hot chocolate. Whatever's clicking in the minds of the billions of people who like it just isn't for me.

To the egg thing, I say go ahead and try them at least once. Can't really describe the taste since its a "baseline" taste like Mister D said. The best I can say is, they taste like the word "egg" sounds.

The yolk is a really acquired taste though, and might gross you out at first if you get a mouthful of it. Start with scrambled where everything's mixed together, then if you like that enough move on to fried or hard-boiled to see if you can stomach the yolk on its own.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I don't like the majority of seafood. Tried a bite of all the butter served ones. Tastes like your swallowing your tongue bathed in butter. Never gone for any of the raw or other weird way of serving things ones. I don't mind the "steak-like" seafood, tuna swordfish and the like.

I've had one poached egg when I was a kid, hated it. Will only eat scrambled and then only in a breakfast burrito or covered with a shit load of cheese and hot sauce.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

TT, I think what threw me off on the egg thing is you mean you've never had them as a stand alone item. You've consumed many dozens of eggs in your lifetime as it's a key ingredient in pasta, cakes, brownies, pancakes, waffles, french toast, meatloaf, and many other foods. It would be nearly impossible for you to have never digested any egg in your life. Daily fried eggs cooked in butter would be a quick road to a heart attack but as mentioned above they are healthy in moderation. I concur with JC that heading to a diner and trying scrambled is probably the best way to go.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is a pretty mind blowing thread given that I thought we'd all grown into a singular person type by now. I can't think of a single food I've had option to try and avoided or only tried once. I hate olives and try them again atleast twice per year hoping something has changed.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

If there's a food I don't eat, it's because I've tried it and disliked it or it didn't agree with me.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

mister d wrote:This is a pretty mind blowing thread given that I thought we'd all grown into a singular person type by now. I can't think of a single food I've had option to try and avoided or only tried once. I hate olives and try them again atleast twice per year hoping something has changed.
oh i could list probably a dozen common things i never tried, easily. ive always been picky as an eater, and never really had any desire to change that, but eggs are probably the only thing i legitimately have refused to even sample. as to rams point, ive eaten them in a plethora of other foods as an ingredient, sort of an out of sight out of mind type thing. its just the concept of them as a stand alone which disturbs me. the general consensus seems to be on a breakfast burrito, so at least if it tastes like inedible ass i can throw it away cheaply. i will probably stop at whataburger and get a taquito on the way home from work tonight assuming this poker game doesnt go for another ten hours. ill report back after. also, why would you keep repeatedly eating olives if you know you hate them? life is too short to waste meals eating shit you find disgusting, isnt it?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Opposite. There's zero risk and when you develop a taste for something you didn't like, you've eliminated a hate. I'm more or less down to only olives unless you count Chinese as more than a very-heavy over-sauced non-food type.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
Ab thinks it's relatively impossible for anyone to have not eaten a fucking egg.

ETA: if that means I'm calling TT a liar then I'm ok with that.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's worth it to overcome your biases and at least try things. When I was a kid, I was a horribly picky eater. Lots of times I'd look at things and refuse to even give them a shot. But, as I got older and got married to a great cook, I now eat and enjoy many things I once thought I hated. (I still refuse to eat a number of things, but at least I think I gave them a fair shot.)
Last edited by sancarlos on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

A_B wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Ab thinks it's relatively impossible for anyone to have not eaten a fucking egg.

ETA: if that means I'm calling TT a liar then I'm ok with that.
ive never eaten an egg that wasnt an ingredient in like a cake or waffle. if that sentence means im saying go fuck yourself, fine
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I think I'm willing to try just about any food out there with the exception of human flesh and vermin.

That said, there are foods I just don't like. I'm not a big fan of green beans, and raspberries are just utterly vile.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

But sabo, sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Eggs are delicious. You should totally try them. I would suggest scrambled at first and then branch out to other methods. When I was little I could only eat them scrambled because the yolk freaked me out. As I got older, I just decided to try them differently. Over medium, over hard, sunny side. If It doesn't taste good, douse it with hot sauce. But i get your worry.

I think I'm in the same level as Andrew Zimmern when it comes to food. I'll try it. If i don't like it, then no biggie. I actually like branching out and trying new things. In Korea i tried crickets and octopus with the ink in a soup. I never got to try dog though.

As for what I won't eat because I don't like it: olives, cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew, and liver. Fuck all of that shit.

Also, I hated veggies growing up. But I learned it was because my mom cooked them wrong. She steamed the flavor out of them. They tasted like shit. These days, add bacon and roast them and they are perfect.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Love eggs. Will eat any seafood put in front of me (ate fish eyeballs a couple of times). Generally, I am pretty adventurous...

However, you could not pay me to eat congee. First time I saw it, I was stoned at 3 am in a Chinese dump. It looked like a huge bowl of cum. No way.

I tried halvah when I was a kid and it was such a bizarre texture and flavour that I threw up. Have tried it once since, and almost hurled again.

But that's just things I've tried. In terms of a phobia, the closest thing that pops into my mind is head cheese. Not a chance.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

im just not an adventurous eater. i am pretty bland and uninteresting. i grew up on fastfood in a family that never cooked..ive never eaten veggies. i can 1000 percdnt say ive never eaten a salad, or eaten beans, like the refried kind that come with mexican food...never tried it. i mostly eat meat potatoes and pasta, and dont ever really try new things. if im out someplace and my only option is new unfamiliar food ill usually just skip a meal or two and wait til i can get back to my standard foods. i guess im much more the exception than the standard type of person, but for someone who does all the evil stuff i do to my body and doesnt eat anything homecooked or healthy or veggie like, im in remarkably good shape. it seems kinda late in life to try and break a thirty year habit. i get that most of you dont understand being a picky eater, ive just always been this way. honestly my parents didnt ever give a shit about making me try stuff so i never got the habit broken as a child. i often wish they had, i have so many issues with textures, ingredients, condiments. the one time my mom tried the "your not leaving the table til you clear your plate" it was new years eve and it was black eyed peas and cabbage, i waited her out for six hours and finally took a bite of cabbage and promptly puked on the plate. she cleaned it and replaced it..i puked again, then waited her out til she fell asleep. i didnt eat for two days until she caved. it would be worlds easier on me to not be this way. honestly i annoy myself, but i havent been able to break myself of it. just the taste of a piece of onion in a dish is enough to make me gag. i hate it honestly
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Johnnie wrote:Also, I hated veggies growing up. But I learned it was because my mom cooked them wrong. She steamed the flavor out of them. They tasted like shit. These days, add bacon and roast them and they are perfect.
Steamed veg is totally lush (if you steam it for the right period of time, depending on individual tastes).

Johnnie in "I added bacon and it made it better" shocker ffs...
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: There's a bunch of vegetables I've never tried or tried once: turnips, asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, squash...

I have an aversion to seafood that isn't fish--tried crab, lobster, clams maybe once or twice, never had oysters or mussels.

Mentioned here before that I've had less than the equivalent of one cup of coffee in my life. I just don't get it. It tastes like burnt, rancid hot chocolate. Whatever's clicking in the minds of the billions of people who like it just isn't for me.
So basically you eat meat, expensive seafood and don't eat most veg?

You and Johnnie should get together...
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Tom 1860 wrote:So basically you eat meat, expensive seafood and don't eat most veg?

You and Johnnie should get together...
I eat plenty of vegetables, just from a limited rotation--lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions...that's about it. Don't feel a burning need to add other weird shit to the mix.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tom 1860 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Also, I hated veggies growing up. But I learned it was because my mom cooked them wrong. She steamed the flavor out of them. They tasted like shit. These days, add bacon and roast them and they are perfect.
Steamed veg is totally lush (if you steam it for the right period of time, depending on individual tastes).

Johnnie in "I added bacon and it made it better" shocker ffs...
Maybe I should have said that they were steamed for so long, they were basically boiled. I have since learned to cook them better. I use my rice cooker to steam certain veggies. But most others it's salt, pepper, oil, and roasting them.

And yes, bacon makes it better. I used to hate brussel sprouts and then one day we had a work potluck and a co-worker made them correctly and it was the best vegetable I had had that wasn't covered in cheese or fried.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

my parents had a garden as a kid and I refused to eat vegetables; much better now, though I think beets, brussel sprouts and a couple others are still in the "hell no" category for some reason. I also hate vinegar. just the smell of it makes me want to gag.

I had sushi for the first time last week and I'm squarely in the "meh" category. not horrible, but not lifechanging either. I found the non-fried stuff better than the fried stuff too.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote:my parents had a garden as a kid and I refused to eat vegetables; much better now, though I think beets, brussel sprouts and a couple others are still in the "hell no" category for some reason. I also hate vinegar. just the smell of it makes me want to gag.

I had sushi for the first time last week and I'm squarely in the "meh" category. not horrible, but not lifechanging either. I found the non-fried stuff better than the fried stuff too.
Whoa. Really? That might spawn a new food thread of what everyone's tried for the first time recently or never tried at all.

I guess I got lucky in the sense that I joined the military at 17 and left home. My mother wasn't very adventurous with going outside of pasta, steak, chicken, pork, basic seafood and the occasional ordering of Chinese food when I was growing up. Once I was stationed in Louisiana a whole slew of food I never knew existed (both regional and due to marriages of people previously being stationed overseas) suddenly materialized.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

i find this all very strange.
growing up, there was rice every day.. now not so much, but phobia or hate for certain foods? nah. i'm a pretty good, even adventourous eater. and i love to cook... call it food.. i'll try it.
can't have the swamp over for dinner.. well, at least you'll can have drinks.

grilled (finished in oven) flank steak (marinated in soy sauce, bourbon, spring onions, garlic, cilantro)
home made garlic mashed
roasted asparagus (olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic
sauteed mushrooms (butter, fresh dill)
and homemade chimichuri for the steak
and bourbon. to drink.

and too much butter.. a whole bar was sacrificed

the bacon scallops... will make tonight along wtih leftovers.
my son had leftover pizza. can't stand mashed potatoes or mushrooms. forget the asparagus.. can't have the steak w/o at least one of the side dishes, so leftover za. not sure what he'll eat tonight. no slices left.
the missus... not quite as picky as the boy. both must separate the food on their plate. can't have anything touch anything else. weird.
took years to get the boy to eat eggs. we're ok on scrambled, forget anything else, unless the yolk is hard.

haven't encountered too many phobias amongst those i know.. cilantro is the one that comes to mind.. kids on the other hand.. none of my son's friends will eat a cheeseburger. and most think that mashed potates are nasty.

weird. but to each his own