stewart/colbert goodness dump

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: stewart/colbert goodness dump

Post by The Sybian »

Colbert is absolutely crushing it on his way out. His final installment of Better Know a District was great. He went back to his first interviewee, and throughout the first part, I don't think the Congressman knew who he was speaking with, or the nature of the interview.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Trevor Noah to take over for Stewart.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote:So Trevor Noah to take over for Stewart.
Hope he's better than in the lengthy introductory clip I watched last night.

Problem is, they are massive shoes to fill, and only one man could do so. But he is busy over at HBO.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Very underwhelmed. Have not enjoyed him as a correspondent.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

He's only been on TDS three times to date, I believe. I just haven't seen him enough to have an opinion either way. That being said...it's hard to imagine him in that chair.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Stewart is irreplaceable.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

GoodKarma wrote:He's only been on TDS three times to date, I believe. I just haven't seen him enough to have an opinion either way. That being said...it's hard to imagine him in that chair.
Must've been really bad then that it seems like more.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Stewart is irreplaceable.
I said the same about Kilborn. Whatever happened to Kilborn?
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
He hosted the Late Late Show for a while.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
After his Oscar nomination for his performance in Old School, he's really fell of the face of the earth.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Assuming he was playing himself in Old School, it might explain a lot. Either that or he should have gotten a lot more acting roles.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ummm... this Noah kid's reign may be pretty short lived.

http://blogs.forward.com/the-shmooze/21 ... semitic-t/

Tweeted a series of Jewish jokes over the past few years. Schoolyard sort of jokes, but man oh man, there's a storm a brewin'
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Giff wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
After his Oscar nomination for his performance in Old School, he's really fell of the face of the earth.
Kilborn virtually disappearing after leaving the Late Late Show is one of the more off-the-face-of-the-earth celebrity turns in recent memory. It may have been that his style of hyper-smug humor was really dated to that late-90s/early 00s era.

I read that oral history of ESPN that came out a few years ago and expected Kilborn to be a douche, but he came across as surprisingly humble and appreciative of his time there.

edit: regarding Noah's tweet's--looks like the Comedy Police have deployed their SWAT team and immediately made the decision to go tactical without negotiations. Lots of high-minded declarations about what's funny and what isn't are incoming.

Those tweets are basically in line with the style of comedians who position themselves as "edgy." The biggest takeaway for me is that most of them aren't that funny (the Bruce Jenner one made me chuckle).
Last edited by Johnny Carwash on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt wrote:Ummm... this Noah kid's reign may be pretty short lived.

Tweeted a series of Jewish jokes over the past few years. Schoolyard sort of jokes, but man oh man, there's a storm a brewin'
Bigger issue seems to be a lack of funniness.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:

Good thing there are no Jews controlling the media. I have no problem with any of the Tweets. Go through 4+ years of any comedian's Twitter account, and you are going to find stereotype jokes. Beats By Dreidel is not offensive. Doesn't go down easy, like a Jewish chick? That is legit funny and not offensive at all. Unless a joke is condoning killing Jews, I don't give a fuck. I used to say Holocaust jokes were the only jokes that offended me, but I recently heard two that made me laugh. None of those jokes was remotely hateful or mean spirited.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

According to Bill Simmons Louis C.K., Amy Schumer, and Amy Poehler all passed on it.

My pick would have been the internet's consensus: Tina Fey.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A COMEDIAN'S JOKES ARE BEING VETTED IN ADVANCE OF HIS FUTURE JOB TELLING MORE JOKES.

This might be the thing that makes me join Howard's gang.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote:According to Bill Simmons Louis C.K., Amy Schumer, and Amy Poehler all passed on it.

My pick would have been the internet's consensus: Tina Fey.
Grantland's article nailed that: it would be a lateral move at best and a big step down at worst for all of those (Schumer probably excepted). Fey and Poehler did their news commentary thing. Doubly-handed saved it from obscurity. I don't see either of the other two being good fits for the format, personally.

Please note I watch the daily show exclusively in snippet basis based on virality.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There's a chance Poehler would be absolute nails. Fey wouldn't fit.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:There's a chance Poehler would be absolute nails. Fey wouldn't fit.

She wouldn't want to have an every night gig, methinks.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:There's a chance Poehler would be absolute nails. Fey wouldn't fit.
Whoever takes the position, the show will eventually change to better fit the host much like Stewart changed the show. 2 years from now, if the show is still on the air, it will be much different than today. I like Amy Schumer, but there is no way she could host. Louis could be great, but he would be out of his fucking mind to take it. He seems like he still loves doing standup, he loves doing his TV show, so throwing his name into the mix is just unrealistic. Tina Fey seems to actually want to see her kids.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
mister d wrote:

Good thing there are no Jews controlling the media. I have no problem with any of the Tweets. Go through 4+ years of any comedian's Twitter account, and you are going to find stereotype jokes. Beats By Dreidel is not offensive. Doesn't go down easy, like a Jewish chick? That is legit funny and not offensive at all. Unless a joke is condoning killing Jews, I don't give a fuck. I used to say Holocaust jokes were the only jokes that offended me, but I recently heard two that made me laugh. None of those jokes was remotely hateful or mean spirited.
Yeah, that's why I said they were schoolyard stuff - kind of like the jokes a 14 year old would throw out there. But for this Noah guy, it'll be like starting a marathon with an anvil strapped to his back.

By the way, how can you tell when a Jewish woman has an orgasm?

She drops her phone!

(Back in the day it was a nail file).

What's the difference between Jell-O and a Jewish woman?

Jell-O moves when you eat it!

Classics. But if I were to write a joke about Black women, it'd be different... but then again, I'm not a professional comedian. John Stewart probably wouldn't have made ethnic jokes, but he - and his generation of comedians - were lucky to have come up in the days before twitter etc.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

CNN is the worst. And having a nobody, know-nothing like Wendy Todd makes it all the more insufferable.

Also, Patton Oswalt writes a 53 tweet "essay" that mocks the whole damn thing.

Listening to podcasts by Bill Burr and Nick DiPaolo in these past couple of weeks, they touch on subjects like this. You go on the road, do some comedy, and inevitably some person in the audience chats with them after the show to discuss how "offended" they are that they took a joke to such a degree. Each are flabbergasted.

In fact, Bill Burr pointed to a Salon article with a sitdown involving Patton Oswalt just a couple weeks ago where he breaks everything down and makes me hate a website like Salon so much more.

There was also a great Grantland article by Dave Schilling that juxtaposes insult comedy - specifically roasts like Justin Bieber's just the other day - to situations like this. He notes Martha Stewart's (!!!) roast was pitch perfect in her delivery and joke telling that goes way beyond anything Trevor Noah every uttered in a Tweet. Her set for reference:

This madness needs to end. Political correctness has gone too fucking far. The Wendy Todd's of the world need to shut the fuck up and deal with the fact that people say things. And her opinion is just as vile as whatever she perceives the jokes she's listening to be. However, at the end of the day, Trevor is telling jokes and isn't serious while she is being a total asshole.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

My goodness, Martha Stewart was hilarious. I guess I need to watch that roast.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

howard wrote:My goodness, Martha Stewart was hilarious. I guess I need to watch that roast.
It was a middle-of-the-pack roast. Just watch Burress and Natasha Leggero.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Whoops, and Pete Davidson. And, if it wasn't one of those guys, whoever told the Selena joke and the 2 Chainz joke.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote:
howard wrote:My goodness, Martha Stewart was hilarious. I guess I need to watch that roast.
I caught about half of it. How the hell did they select the dais? Some bizarre choices. Snoop was great, especially when he went off script. He looked fucked up out of his mind, but he is legit funny off the cuff. Just seeing Shaq sit next to Kevin Hart was worth the price of admission. Whoever wrote Martha Stewart's jokes did a great job, but it was painful at times listening to her struggle to read the jokes. And why was she there?
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Also, holy shit, Martha Stewart is 73.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:
Ryan wrote:
I caught about half of it. How the hell did they select the dais? Some bizarre choices. Snoop was great, especially when he went off script. He looked fucked up out of his mind, but he is legit funny off the cuff. Just seeing Shaq sit next to Kevin Hart was worth the price of admission. Whoever wrote Martha Stewart's jokes did a great job, but it was painful at times listening to her struggle to read the jokes. And why was she there?
The dais is normally made up of Jeffrey Ross (who produces the show, as well), an established comedian as the host, three up-and-coming comedians who are looking for exposure, and whoever else the show can get.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Honestly, the idea of watching a bunch of comedians shoot fish in a barrel has no interest for me.

I am far too old to give a crap about anything Bieber.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:Honestly, the idea of watching a bunch of comedians shoot fish in a barrel has no interest for me.

I am far too old to give a crap about anything Bieber.
The roastee is almost an afterthought on most of these. The other people on the dais get as much shit. I find them hilarious. I thought the roasts Howard Stern did on Sirius were much better. Those were so brutal, and he got much better comedians. No body beats Lampanelli. Rickles is the master, but she takes it to another level of inappropriateness.
-Pruitt