Guy who you legit thought died 25 years ago and are surprised is still alive

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Guy who you legit thought died 25 years ago and are surprised is still alive

Post by brian »

Daniel Stern (of Home Alone, City Slickers, etc. fame)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Guy who you legit thought died 25 years ago and are surprised is still alive

Post by L-Jam3 »

Olivia de Havilland.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Re: Guy who you legit thought died 25 years ago and are surprised is still alive

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Don Baylor

(ok, not 25 years ago...but when I read that he passed away today, my first thought was "Didn't he die a long time ago?")
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Did Abe Vigoda finally pass on?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Quick thoughts are Bart Starr and Berry Gordy.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Berry Gordy's a good one. I thought he's been dead forever too.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:Berry Gordy's a good one. I thought he's been dead forever too.

I thought he recently died, but I got him confused with Chuck Barris. Which lead me to see ABC is currently running a revamped Gong Show hosted by Mike Myers in character as a bizarre old British chap. How did I not know about that? Better question, how horrible is that? I loved Myers back in his SNL days, loved Austin Powers until pop culture killed it with horrible references and impersonations. I was even a fan of So I Married an Axe Murderer, but this just sounds like a pathetic attempt to get back into show business. Either that, or he just doesn't give a fuck and is doing this for his own entertainment. I could see that being incredibly fun for him.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
brian wrote:Berry Gordy's a good one. I thought he's been dead forever too.

I thought he recently died, but I got him confused with Chuck Barris. Which lead me to see ABC is currently running a revamped Gong Show hosted by Mike Myers in character as a bizarre old British chap. How did I not know about that? Better question, how horrible is that? I loved Myers back in his SNL days, loved Austin Powers until pop culture killed it with horrible references and impersonations. I was even a fan of So I Married an Axe Murderer, but this just sounds like a pathetic attempt to get back into show business. Either that, or he just doesn't give a fuck and is doing this for his own entertainment. I could see that being incredibly fun for him.

The Gong Show was a seminal part of my tweenage years. My friends and I still talk about it.

the new one is bad, but not horrible. But Mike Myers is not funny. Just strange.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fact: Mike Myers has never been funny.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:Fact: Mike Myers has never been funny.

Unless he's voicing a green ogre. Then only in the first one.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Wayne's World is perfectly funny
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote:Wayne's World is perfectly funny

I just watched it the other day and it's not AS funny as it was when I was young and dumb(er), but it's not bad. It has the good sense to wink at the audience about how dumb it is, which wasn't really all that common at the time it was made. So I Married An Axe Murderer isn't bad either and the original Austin Powers has its moments. But if the overriding argument is that it's hard to believe Mike Myers was ever a thing I can get on board with that.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The skits too. And the Drew Barrymore scene in Wayne's World 2. Hell at this point I think I'd be happy to see a WW3 hahaha we're dead
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I actually thought Darren Daulton had died 20 years ago. Not from age, obviously, but from something tragic. Is there some comp of his who passed away back then?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Andy Seminick, his #5 B-Ref comp, died 13 years ago last February. You were probably thinking of him.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Steve of phpBB wrote:I actually thought Darren Daulton had died 20 years ago. Not from age, obviously, but from something tragic. Is there some comp of his who passed away back then?

Ken Caminiti?
THERE’S NOWT WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote:I actually thought Darren Daulton had died 20 years ago. Not from age, obviously, but from something tragic. Is there some comp of his who passed away back then?

Bo Diaz?

Died when a satellite dish (one of the original huge ones) that he was installing fell on him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Maybe not 25 years but Mills Lane...
Also he had a 10-1 pro career and was a semifinalist for a shot at the 1960s Olympic trials.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Olympia Dukakis is still kicking it, apparently.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote:

Bo Diaz?

Died when a satellite dish (one of the original huge ones) that he was installing fell on him.

I think maybe I was thinking of Daulton's crimes and jail time. I dunno.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Carol Burnett is still alive.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jake LaMotta, 94yo. Neither Ray nor anyone else has gotten him down yet.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:Jake LaMotta, 94yo. Neither Ray nor anyone else has gotten him down yet.

Wow. Surprised to hear he is still going. My mother's father was a boxing referee in Canada (he did a couple George Chuvalo bouts - one for the Canadian championship, fwiw). And, he was also a trainer and a boxer himself in his younger years. So, my mum grew up with boxing and knew who were the bigger names of her era. She told me Jake LaMotta was her favorite and she remembers watching him fight on tv.. I know of the boxers of that era because I read all my father's old Sport magazines he saved from the late 40s and early 50s, and the first two years of Sports Illustrated. Colorful names - Jake LaMotta, Sugar Ray Robinson, Kid Gavilan, Carmen Basilio, Willie Pep, Sandy Saddler, Ike Williams, Graziano, Beau Jack... (Not to be confused with the horseman!)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Thats way cool. Damn, George Chuvalo, at 79yo considering the punishment he absorbed he belongs on this list. I'll not extend this tangential thread, except for this tidbit. Career record 72-19-2. Of those wins, 63 KOs, very high percentage even for a great heavyweight. 19 losses, only suffered two knockouts: Foreman and Joe Frazier. Went the distance against prime time Ali, twice. Yeah he is tough.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:Thats way cool. Damn, George Chuvalo, at 79yo considering the punishment he absorbed he belongs on this list. I'll not extend this tangential thread, except for this tidbit. Career record 72-19-2. Of those wins, 63 KOs, very high percentage even for a great heavyweight. 19 losses, only suffered two knockouts: Foreman and Joe Frazier. Went the distance against prime time Ali, twice. Yeah he is tough.

A legend up here, and a guy who has had so much tragedy in his life that it is unbelievable. And who seemingly still has most of his wits.

Thing with Chuvalo, in his fights with the best heavyweight of the 60s and 70s, he really never had a shot at winning. Twice with Ali, Frazier, Foreman Ellis, Terrell... his best fight seems to be a close loss to Floyd Patterson fought 3 years after Patterson lost the title.

On ESPN Classic up here they reran his fight against Foreman and it is a horrible thing to watch. And the legendary (up here it is) fight against Ali is a viscous pummelling, noteworthy for the punishment Chuvalo absorbed. In my lifetime, I have seen this fight elevated from the story of a brave Canadian fighter surviving against the greatest fighter in the world to the point where it would seem that it was a real battle for Ali.

Fell into a rabbit hole and found this article from the Harvard Crimson discussing the Ali-Chuvalo fight.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/1966/3/29/chuvalo-faces-ali-in-title-mismatch/
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Pruitt wrote:
A legend up here, and a guy who has had so much tragedy in his life that it is unbelievable.

Nice article, thanks. Yeah, once upon a time boxing was so mainstream the Harvard Crimson wrote about it.

I think the wiki sez he lost his wife and one son to suicides, two other sons dead from drug OD. All that pain in one life.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

howard wrote:
Pruitt wrote:
A legend up here, and a guy who has had so much tragedy in his life that it is unbelievable.

Nice article, thanks. Yeah, once upon a time boxing was so mainstream the Harvard Crimson wrote about it.

I think the wiki sez he lost his wife and one son to suicides, two other sons dead from drug OD. All that pain in one life.

This is short, but is very hard to read...

Excerpt From Chuvalo's Autobiography
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gut wrenching
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Gene Hackman
Canadian International