NFL Week 9

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

NFL Week 9

Post by Pruitt »

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 3131823104

Like this move. Not an earth shaker, but you give Tyrod an average receiver like Benjamin, he'll be an above-average QB.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: NFL Week 9

Post by Johnnie »

Everything about this tweet is fucking hilarious.

https://twitter.com/YoureRightMike/stat ... 3786737664
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

My brother gets that stuff all the time. I beg him to let me tag along and play it up but he won't do it. Even got him an NFLPA hat. No dice. Sadly no one has ever confused me with an NFL player.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

The Browns were going to give Cincinnati a 2nd and 3rd for A J McCarron but the paperwork got messed up and it didn't happen. That is more than SF gave up for Garoppalo. Am I reading that right? Was the Browns' last good QB Bernie Kosar?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Avram wrote:The Browns were going to give Cincinnati a 2nd and 3rd for A J McCarron but the paperwork got messed up and it didn't happen. That is more than SF gave up for Garoppalo. Am I reading that right? Was the Browns' last good QB Bernie Kosar?

Tim couch was better than he gets gmcredit for. But yeah. Bernie.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:
Avram wrote:The Browns were going to give Cincinnati a 2nd and 3rd for A J McCarron but the paperwork got messed up and it didn't happen. That is more than SF gave up for Garoppalo. Am I reading that right? Was the Browns' last good QB Bernie Kosar?

Tim couch was better than he gets gmcredit for. But yeah. Bernie.

Kelly Holcomb helped them make their last playoff appearance and *almost* beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

As for the McCarron debacle (which is probably a fair description even if you think they are better off for not having made the trade):
Why were the Browns seemingly more aggressive in pursuing McCarron? And how could their deal with the Bengals fail to be reported to the league prior to the deadline?

This case, I believe, exposed the counter-productive state of relations between Hue Jackson and the analytics crew headed by Sashi Brown.

McCarron has little value except for the fact that he knows Jackson’s system. I imagine Jackson figured he could win two or three games over the last eight with McCarron, and that might win Jackson not only a third season but also some clout with the Haslams in regards to future personnel decisions.

While Brown reportedly agreed to terms of the deal with the Bengals – second- and third-round picks in 2018; one source told me there was also a future pick in 2019 – Brown also recognized the price was outlandish.

Now, Brown could easily submarine the trade by dawdling and missing the league deadline on purpose. Brown may not be a football guy, but his years as a club legal counsel required him to be up on all the league protocols. While it’s hard to believe he would sabotage his own trade, it’s equally unthinkable that he could slip on reporting it on time. He knows how anal the league is with deadlines.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jeff Garcia was 'aight for a time for Cleveland I think.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:Jeff Garcia was 'aight for a time for Cleveland I think.

Not really. just looked it up - 3-7 with 10 TDs and 9 picks.

Actually, for the new Browns, that's almost statue-worthy.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Testaverde had positive DVOA (i.e. better than baseline average) in each of his three years there.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/925372742937071616

It has become customary to think of Brady as an athlete without limits, one who overturns expectation by refusing to concede an inch to anyone else's idea of the inevitable. But The TB12 Method offers a portrait of a ferociously limited human being, albeit the world's "most hydrated" one. Every day, he wakes up at 6 in the morning and immediately drinks 20 ounces of purified water, augmented with TB12 electrolytes, which, as he tells us, contain the "72 trace minerals" generally lost in perspiration. As a result, he says, he is so well-hydrated that "even with adequate exposure to the sun, I won't get sunburned," and he presumes that the muscles under his skin look like "beautiful tenderloins" instead of "shriveled jerky." He trains about four hours a day, and on most days, he "does pliability" with Guerrero, who, with hands capable of generating "50 newtons of force in a single finger" -- about 11 pounds -- applies "targeted pressure" to Brady's muscles. "On the rare occasions when I don't have the benefit of working with Alex," he either does "partner-pliability" or goes solo with a jar of coconut oil he applies himself and a TB12 "vibrating sphere." He eats abstemiously, with few portion sizes bigger than the palm of his hand, but also with a purpose, to maintain the "alkalinity" of his body. And he sleeps in the same determinedly therapeutic fashion, repairing to bed at 9 each night in a room uncontaminated by either technology or pet dander. He keeps a glass of water by his bedside and sleeps, famously, in TB12 "bioceramic recovery wear," which is also for sale from TB12 and which Brady also considers part of a "movement" -- the "tech-enabled apparel and sleepwear" movement.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

QBs currently being paid by the Browns not on the roster:

Brock Osweiler: 0 wins

Robert Griffin III: 0 wins

Josh McCown: 3 wins

Austin Davis: 0 wins

On the roster:

Deshone Kizer: 0 wins

Cody Kessler: 0 wins

Kevin Hogan: 0 wins.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So...Cincinnati can't block. And Jacksonville has an awesome defensive line. Dalton probably dies this weekend, or ends up in the hospital. Since McCarron is still on team, he takes over, and since he is still on team because Cleveland either intentionally or unintentionally screwed up, he should therefore play awesome, right? Because whatever will come to pass apparently cosmically is supposed to make Cleveland look bad. The Bengals being involved is a real test of cosmic karma.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:So...Cincinnati can't block. And Jacksonville has an awesome defensive line. Dalton probably dies this weekend, or ends up in the hospital. Since McCarron is still on team, he takes over, and since he is still on team because Cleveland either intentionally or unintentionally screwed up, he should therefore play awesome, right? Because whatever will come to pass apparently cosmically is supposed to make Cleveland look bad. The Bengals being involved is a real test of cosmic karma.

And having the Jags involved makes it even more bizarre.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/926189951280173056

For Jerloma: Texans fear Deshaun Watson tore his ACL in practice today.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Is some sports fanbase truly happen right now? We need to fix that."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That's just amazing. They got 12 hours of happiness.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn. The most exciting new player in the NFL this season. What a shame.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I guess I’m just really not supposed to have any fucks left to give for the NFL.

He was the *ONLY* player I cared enough to watch play.

(Bucs fan here - waiting out the ‘Jameis Winston years’)...
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'm really pissed this was a couple weeks too late for a Savage-Hogan matchup
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wow guys, looks like we were really wrong about McNair. He said he’d be willing to try out Kaepernick (after already signing a new QB). I’ve certainly learned my lesson about judging others.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks to Peter King I'm starting to come around on the Watson injury...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:Thanks to Peter King I'm starting to come around on the Watson injury...

He really is a master at saying nothing.

Speaking of nothing - be thankful that you aren;t Bills or Jets fans and could turn away from last night's heinous football game earlier than I.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

It's tough to find a similar QB to Watson to backup Tom Savage, who has thrown ZERO career TD passes in more than zero starts, but Matt McGloin is probably about the closest available match I can think of.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It seemed like the Bills could have used a tall, fast, physical #1 receiver last night.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

They'll still need one next week. They did just get a tall oafy guy, though.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:It seemed like the Bills could have used a tall, fast, physical #1 receiver last night.

And a couple of guards as well. And someone should have made sure that Cordy Glenn stretched before the game.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/925372742937071616

It has become customary to think of Brady as an athlete without limits, one who overturns expectation by refusing to concede an inch to anyone else's idea of the inevitable. But The TB12 Method offers a portrait of a ferociously limited human being, albeit the world's "most hydrated" one. Every day, he wakes up at 6 in the morning and immediately drinks 20 ounces of purified water, augmented with TB12 electrolytes, which, as he tells us, contain the "72 trace minerals" generally lost in perspiration. As a result, he says, he is so well-hydrated that "even with adequate exposure to the sun, I won't get sunburned," and he presumes that the muscles under his skin look like "beautiful tenderloins" instead of "shriveled jerky." He trains about four hours a day, and on most days, he "does pliability" with Guerrero, who, with hands capable of generating "50 newtons of force in a single finger" -- about 11 pounds -- applies "targeted pressure" to Brady's muscles. "On the rare occasions when I don't have the benefit of working with Alex," he either does "partner-pliability" or goes solo with a jar of coconut oil he applies himself and a TB12 "vibrating sphere." He eats abstemiously, with few portion sizes bigger than the palm of his hand, but also with a purpose, to maintain the "alkalinity" of his body. And he sleeps in the same determinedly therapeutic fashion, repairing to bed at 9 each night in a room uncontaminated by either technology or pet dander. He keeps a glass of water by his bedside and sleeps, famously, in TB12 "bioceramic recovery wear," which is also for sale from TB12 and which Brady also considers part of a "movement" -- the "tech-enabled apparel and sleepwear" movement.

every part of this is unadulterated bullshit

jesus
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:
rass wrote:Thanks to Peter King I'm starting to come around on the Watson injury...

Speaking of nothing - be thankful that you aren;t Bills or Jets fans and could turn away from last night's heinous football game earlier than I.

Really? I enjoyed the hell out of that game. In the beginning of the year, I bitched about the Jets not having any players I cared about, but I think their no-name brand is playing into their favor. These guys aren't the most talented, but they fight for each other and work their asses off. McCown has been more than serviceable (glowing praise, right?), and the WR play has been good. I'm loving Robbie Anderson, and Kearse has been solid. The RB trio is working, and the rookie Safeties are showing promise. I gotta say, I'm loving Adams. After the week 2 loss, I heard him call in for an interview with a local radio show. He said people are chalking up his mistakes to being a rookie, but now he has 2 games under his belt, he is a veteran. Any mistakes are due to him making a mistake, not being a rookie. That excuse is gone. Sounds lame in text, but the way he said it was so convincing and full of emotion, he believes it, and holds himself to the highest standard. Watching him live, he is clearly a leader on the field. The attitude of the D is fantastic and contagious. 4th quarter of a blowout against Miami on an extremely hot and humid day, the entire D were dancing to the blaring rap music during TV timeouts. The crowd went dead in the 3rd Q, but this really brought the crowd energy up, and they do it every game now.

The Jets execs my wife deals with are all saying they've never seen a locker room dynamic like this. The players are more devoted to the team, and have a better energy. The D especially, those guys just look like they are having fun on the field. Leonard Williams and Demario Davis are my favorites, as they take the time during warmups to come over to the kids. Davis came flying down the line of fans on the sideline slapping hands and screaming like a maniac to get himself, the fans and teammates fired up. It was really cool. And Williams always leads the D-line over to high five all the kids as they start pregame warmups. My wife took a bunch of players to tour the children's hospital, and it's amazing how great they are with the kids. They stayed much longer than scheduled, took time to joke around with every kid. They had 4 kids go on the field as honorary captains, and the players stepped away from warmups to play with the kids on the field. I should post the video her digital media guy created. From what I'm hearing, I think Chris Johnson filling in for Woody is a part of attitude change. Woody is awkward, and makes people uncomfortable when he is around. Chris is low key, friendly, and really informal. You'd never guess he was an executive, let alone the acting owner. Players actually like him. Before the Week 3 anthem nonsense, he sat down one on one with every single player to ask them their feelings on the anthem BS, and they decided to lock arms. The players really respected how he handled it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Gunpowder wrote:They'll still need one next week. They did just get a tall oafy guy, though.

Point, Gunpowder.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:

jesus

Seriously, we all know it's Giselle's cunt juice powering him. Bottle that shit, rub it on your dick, and become a super man.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

jesus

Seriously, we all know it's Giselle's cunt juice powering him. Bottle that shit, rub it on your dick, and become a super man.

Her vagina is made of deer antlers?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

jesus

Her vagina is made of deer antlers?

No, horse placenta.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There's no way this Elliott thing doesn't result in him ending up getting suspended for playoff instead of regular season games now, right? That would be hilarious.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote:There's no way this Elliott thing doesn't result in him ending up getting suspended for playoff instead of regular season games now, right? That would be hilarious.

the suspension letter says "regular season games."
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:

Really? I enjoyed the hell out of that game. In the beginning of the year, I bitched about the Jets not having any players I cared about, but I think their no-name brand is playing into their favor. These guys aren't the most talented, but they fight for each other and work their asses off. McCown has been more than serviceable (glowing praise, right?), and the WR play has been good. I'm loving Robbie Anderson, and Kearse has been solid. The RB trio is working, and the rookie Safeties are showing promise. I gotta say, I'm loving Adams. After the week 2 loss, I heard him call in for an interview with a local radio show. He said people are chalking up his mistakes to being a rookie, but now he has 2 games under his belt, he is a veteran. Any mistakes are due to him making a mistake, not being a rookie. That excuse is gone. Sounds lame in text, but the way he said it was so convincing and full of emotion, he believes it, and holds himself to the highest standard. Watching him live, he is clearly a leader on the field. The attitude of the D is fantastic and contagious. 4th quarter of a blowout against Miami on an extremely hot and humid day, the entire D were dancing to the blaring rap music during TV timeouts. The crowd went dead in the 3rd Q, but this really brought the crowd energy up, and they do it every game now.

The Jets execs my wife deals with are all saying they've never seen a locker room dynamic like this. The players are more devoted to the team, and have a better energy. The D especially, those guys just look like they are having fun on the field. Leonard Williams and Demario Davis are my favorites, as they take the time during warmups to come over to the kids. Davis came flying down the line of fans on the sideline slapping hands and screaming like a maniac to get himself, the fans and teammates fired up. It was really cool. And Williams always leads the D-line over to high five all the kids as they start pregame warmups. My wife took a bunch of players to tour the children's hospital, and it's amazing how great they are with the kids. They stayed much longer than scheduled, took time to joke around with every kid. They had 4 kids go on the field as honorary captains, and the players stepped away from warmups to play with the kids on the field. I should post the video her digital media guy created. From what I'm hearing, I think Chris Johnson filling in for Woody is a part of attitude change. Woody is awkward, and makes people uncomfortable when he is around. Chris is low key, friendly, and really informal. You'd never guess he was an executive, let alone the acting owner. Players actually like him. Before the Week 3 anthem nonsense, he sat down one on one with every single player to ask them their feelings on the anthem BS, and they decided to lock arms. The players really respected how he handled it.

Also Shady sucked.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I realize Rodgers is injured of course, but I'm still at a loss as to how the Lions could be favored on the road against Green Bay Monday. Only won once there since 1991 and that took a damn near miracle.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:I realize Rodgers is injured of course, but I'm still at a loss as to how the Lions could be favored on the road against Green Bay Monday. Only won once there since 1991 and that took a damn near miracle.

Matt Stanford vs. Brett Huntley. Hmm...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

In how many of those games were they better than GB? I don't think the 1993 team has a lot of bearing on this week's match.