Podcasts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Podcasts

Post by Pruitt »

Or he merely says he's taking that de-wormer.

Shit like that plays well with his base.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If you guys need a palate cleanser from washed-up comedians getting COVID, Patrick Wyman (Fall of Rome, Tides of History) is on Defector’s podcast today.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:02 pm He's such a disingenuous fuck that you know he's fully vaxxed and taking the Ivermectin just because.
He also has enough money that he will get top-line health care and has zero to worry about.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:34 am
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:02 pm He's such a disingenuous fuck that you know he's fully vaxxed and taking the Ivermectin just because.
He also has enough money that he will get top-line health care and has zero to worry about.
Still a stupid way to think about it. Sometimes the best health care can't beat COVID. Stupid not to get vaxxed if you don't have any medical reasons to avoid it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:30 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:34 am
Still a stupid way to think about it. Sometimes the best health care can't beat COVID. Stupid not to get vaxxed if you don't have any medical reasons to avoid it.
Not saying it's not. But the overwhelming majority of his listeners don't have those resources and obscuring what he is really doing doesn't protect them. If I were just a touch more cynical, I'd say they had it coming and would enjoy the culling.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

image.png
image.png (189.04 KiB) Viewed 2264 times
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

"Poor black people, am I right?!"
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

It was Said Sports. Doc Rivers narrating
The podcast focuses on six of the most impactful speeches in sports history, highlighting remarks made by Muhammad Ali, Billie Jean King, Hank Aaron, Tim Tebow, Jack Buck and Harry Flournoy.

The series also will feature Michael Strahan, Urban Meyer and Al Michaels as guests.
https://www.phillyvoice.com/it-was-said ... narrator-/

Extension of It was Said

Jon Meacham & C13 Originals do some good stuff.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Seth Rogan Storytime was pretty good. Fun story with Paul Rudd, guy from Semisonic, Jim Carey, etc.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Really enjoying 544 Days. A podcast by Jason Rezaian, a Washington Post Iran correspondent who was arrested, along with his wife, under suspicion of being a CIA agent and held in an Iranian prison for 544 days. He is a fantastic storyteller and intersperses interviews with various people and news clips about his story. It's amazing how he sounds upbeat and almost joking about some horrific aspects of being held in solitary confinement and mentally tortured for months.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A buddy reached out to me to let me know there's a podcast called "20 Years Done" hosted by a retired aircraft maintainer who's in law school and he mentioned it to me now that my retirement has been approved.

There's like 50 episodes, so I'm staying from the beginning, but it's a pretty cool listen so far. Brings me back to my maintenance days, but also reminds me that I made the right choice in getting out of it.

I might reach out to this guy and ask to be on it. He's retired out of Holloman AFB which isn't that far away.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:28 pm A buddy reached out to me to let me know there's a podcast called "20 Years Done" hosted by a retired aircraft maintainer who's in law school and he mentioned it to me now that my retirement has been approved.

There's like 50 episodes, so I'm staying from the beginning, but it's a pretty cool listen so far. Brings me back to my maintenance days, but also reminds me that I made the right choice in getting out of it.

I might reach out to this guy and ask to be on it. He's retired out of Holloman AFB which isn't that far away.
Just don't make the same mistake as him and go to law school.

And congratulations! Very happy for you, but a little disappointed I had to hear about it on Facebook.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:00 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:28 pm A buddy reached out to me to let me know there's a podcast called "20 Years Done" hosted by a retired aircraft maintainer who's in law school and he mentioned it to me now that my retirement has been approved.

And congratulations! Very happy for you, but a little disappointed I had to hear about it on Facebook.
I mean....http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb/viewtop ... 98#p339298

And I also let everyone know I hit the button on the 1st in my stories on Instagram too. I debated whether or not to even post on Facebook, but ultimately I wanted some likes.

(It was only this week they got around to approving my request.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:00 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:00 pm

I mean....http://www.sportsfrog.net/phpbb/viewtop ... 98#p339298

And I also let everyone know I hit the button on the 1st in my stories on Instagram too. I debated whether or not to even post on Facebook, but ultimately I wanted some likes.

(It was only this week they got around to approving my request.)
Always for the likes... I saw your post here that you submitted, but that's much different than getting approval! And I hate Instagram stories. Why do they disappear? My daughter's coach constantly posts Instagram stories. My wife will ask if I saw the hilarious thing he posted, or the clip of my daughter doing something, I check, and it's gone. What's the point? Am I supposed to constantly check it? Fuck that. And even if it's a permanent post, it's impossible to find shit. And stay off my lawn!
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It was Facebook's response to Snapchat. Snapchat goes away after 24 hours, so too does Stories.

Reels is their response to TikTok. Except half of the Reels I view are just TikToks that have been uploaded to it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:04 am It was Facebook's response to Snapchat. Snapchat goes away after 24 hours, so too does Stories.

Reels is their response to TikTok. Except half of the Reels I view are just TikToks that have been uploaded to it.
I know it's copying Snapchat, but I never used Snapchat because it's stupid and pointless. Other than sending naked pics you think disappear, what's the point of Snapchat? My daughter uses it with her friends because it's better than text because you can use more gifs or emojis or something.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 am Really enjoying 544 Days. A podcast by Jason Rezaian, a Washington Post Iran correspondent who was arrested, along with his wife, under suspicion of being a CIA agent and held in an Iranian prison for 544 days. He is a fantastic storyteller and intersperses interviews with various people and news clips about his story. It's amazing how he sounds upbeat and almost joking about some horrific aspects of being held in solitary confinement and mentally tortured for months.
Seconded. Really great podcast. By the way, his wife is quite attractive.

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:06 am
Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:04 am It was Facebook's response to Snapchat. Snapchat goes away after 24 hours, so too does Stories.

I know it's copying Snapchat, but I never used Snapchat because it's stupid and pointless. Other than sending naked pics you think disappear, what's the point of Snapchat? My daughter uses it with her friends because it's better than text because you can use more gifs or emojis or something.
A female friend is on it and she'll pull up the map feature that shows exact locations (in real time) of all the dudes in her stable. Creepy.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:18 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 am Really enjoying 544 Days. A podcast by Jason Rezaian, a Washington Post Iran correspondent who was arrested, along with his wife, under suspicion of being a CIA agent and held in an Iranian prison for 544 days. He is a fantastic storyteller and intersperses interviews with various people and news clips about his story. It's amazing how he sounds upbeat and almost joking about some horrific aspects of being held in solitary confinement and mentally tortured for months.
Seconded. Really great podcast. By the way, his wife is quite attractive.

Around episode 4 he referenced his book, so I ended up switching from the pod to the book. A lot more details, but I will go back to the pod and it'll add more color hearing from his mother and friends after reading the book. Really enjoyed the book.

It's funny, he referenced his wife being beautiful several times, but I just chalked it up to blowing smoke. She looks like a Persian Padma Lakshmi.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 am Image
Is BFJ leading a double life?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Rumor by Blue Wire is getting some press in the B-more/DC area. Series is covering in depth Costner-Ripken rumor. Guessing this won't actually get to the truth, but a fun premise.

Going to enjoy this one as much as the Paul is Dead stuff.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Have the people on here who hadn't figured out that Rogan is an idiot yet, figured out that Rogan is an idiot and also a shithead human being yet?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:39 am The Rumor by Blue Wire is getting some press in the B-more/DC area. Series is covering in depth Costner-Ripken rumor. Guessing this won't actually get to the truth, but a fun premise.

Going to enjoy this one as much as the Paul is Dead stuff.
It's very well done. I'm into ep3... they're making some progress.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:02 pm Have the people on here who hadn't figured out that Rogan is an idiot yet, figured out that Rogan is an idiot and also a shithead human being yet?
No I don't think it has come up. Regale us.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I've never listened to Rogan. Can someone explain to me his appeal? I've never watched Fear Factor, so I don't know his schtick at all.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What a fuckin' beta question.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:15 am I've never listened to Rogan. Can someone explain to me his appeal? I've never watched Fear Factor, so I don't know his schtick at all.
He, Bill Simmons, and Marc Maron were the ones that took the medium seriously and made them a new way to consume content.

Joe in particular, because of Fear Factor, MMA, and being a stand up comic hit a cross section of being able to interview people from different walks of life. He was also, in the beginning, very inquisitive and curious about stuff. The podcast few from there.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:15 am I've never listened to Rogan. Can someone explain to me his appeal? I've never watched Fear Factor, so I don't know his schtick at all.
It took Johnnie recommending his podcast many years ago for me to give it a shot. I thought of him as the Fear Factor Guy and didn't take him seriously. The appeal is, he has interesting and incredibly diverse guests, and has a 2-3 hour conversation and lets the guest speak about whatever. I got bored with it a while ago, as he repeats stories or things previous guests have said (quoting them). He has on comedians, scientists, politicians, authors and occasional nutjobs. Despite the media portrayal of him as a right wing nut, he is actually Liberal to Progressive on most issues.

I will say, it's hilarious reading the media spinning stuff from his show, because it's incredibly warped or taken out of context. Or his guests views are portrayed as his. He is portrayed as anti-Trans, but he is actually supportive of trans-rights. He is labelled as anti-vax, but he constantly says most people should be vaxed and he convinced his parents to get vaccinated early on. I do think it's hilarious that anyone would cite him for medical advice. I saw a social media uproar last year over Rogan bashing people for wearing masks. He was joking, as he was interviewing Bill Burr, and wanted to set Burr off on a rant. Anyone who knows Bill Burr's personality knows how fun it would be to get him wound up. Rogan was fucking with him and it worked, Burr flipped out and Rogan laughed at him for taking the bait.

I think his show can be dangerous, as he invites doctors and scientists, sometimes with opinions outside the mainstream, and he doesn't know enough to ask probing questions and he tends to believe whatever guest is in front of him. Likewise, I felt he was way too soft on Bernie Sanders and Tulsi Gabbard when he interviewed them. It's easy for someone to listen to a guest and be persuaded when the interview is 3 hours long with no prepared counterpoints or probing questions, and I think that's dangerous.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Regardless of whatever Rogan's person politics are, I think its dangerous to give serious and disingenuous people the same platform because it serves to shrink the perception gap between the two.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Consistently giving Alex Jones a platform is extremely problematic. A Sandy Hook "truther" is really off the charts evil.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:36 pm Regardless of whatever Rogan's person politics are, I think its dangerous to give serious and disingenuous people the same platform because it serves to shrink the perception gap between the two.
I completely agree. He says he believes in letting people with bad ideas speak, as debate will shoot down people with bad ideas, but this absolutely doesn't work. I mean, Flat Earthers are suddenly gaining momentum. Most people are too fucking stupid to discern good info from bad. Critical thinking is severely lacking in our society. In my opinion, Rogan is too quick to bring on someone with a unique or controversial position to foster debate without doing much to vet their ideas. He wants to put all ideas out there and let people debate, but morons listening to a quack can't discern whether they are based on good science, and most won't look into the guests to see if their ideas are based on flawed research. The problem is, he wants to keep his show the same as when he started 12 years ago with an audience of 500 listeners, but he needs to accept there is a responsibility to putting out dangerous ideas to the largest podcast audience of any show. He can say "I'm just a comedian" or "I'm an idiot, don't listen to me" because he damn well knows people put stock in his opinions and guests.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

He was much easier to listen to/blow off when he was sponsored by a fuck toy.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’m still a fam of the Seth Rogen Storytime podcast. Funny stories with good story tellers.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:10 pm
hilarious. also...true
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The All Fantasy Everything draft this week was 'Sports Bloopers'. Here is the list (with links): Sports Bloopers Draft

I'm really amazed this one didn't get picked:

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

"Radiolab" just did a series on the impact of cassette tapes, and it is really interesting.

The first episode about rock music coming to China is great - https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ra ... tape-dakou

Also, the story of Khomeini's rise to power has a few facts that almost made me swerve of the road in amazement. Second half of this one
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

pruitt2 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:57 pm "Radiolab" just did a series on the impact of cassette tapes, and it is really interesting.

The first episode about rock music coming to China is great - https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ra ... tape-dakou

Also, the story of Khomeini's rise to power has a few facts that almost made me swerve of the road in amazement. Second half of this one
Thanks, listened to the first ep and halfway through the second and finding it fascinating. I love stories about how random actions can have enormous societal repercussions. Like one guy in China finding and salvaging a garbage barge full of unsold cassette tapes can bring Western music to China at a time when they were limited to listening to 8 government sanctioned propaganda operas.
-Pruitt
pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Post by pruitt2 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:37 pm
Thanks, listened to the first ep and halfway through the second and finding it fascinating. I love stories about how random actions can have enormous societal repercussions. Like one guy in China finding and salvaging a garbage barge full of unsold cassette tapes can bring Western music to China at a time when they were limited to listening to 8 government sanctioned propaganda operas.
I love the idea that the Chinese bands kind of created their own fusion of styles based on the fact that they listened to everything and didn't realize that punk rock wasn't supposed to have metal-type guitar solos.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario