2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: 2022 is a long way away USA Soccer Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

USMNT Concacaf Olympic qualifying roster
GOALKEEPERS (3): Matt Freese (Philadelphia Union; Wayne, Pa.), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes, Alamo, Calif.), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (6): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; Lompoc, Ca.), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; Tucson, Ariz.), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake; Las Cruces, N.M.), Henry Kessler (New England Revolution; New York, N.Y.), Mauricio Pineda (Chicago Fire FC; Bolingbrook, Ill.), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; Colorado Springs, Colo.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Johnny Cardoso (Internacional/BRA; Denville, N.J.), Hassani Dotson (Minnesota United FC; Federal Way, Wash.), Ulysses Llanez (Heerenveen/NED; Lynwood, Calif.), Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal/CAN; Jacksonville, Fla.), Andrés Perea (Orlando City SC; Medellin, Colombia), Sebastian Saucedo (UNAM Pumas/MEX; Park City, Utah), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; Bloomington, Minn.)

FORWARDS (4): Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas), Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; Plantation, Fla.), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC; Orlando, Fla.), Sebastian Soto (Norwich City; San Diego, Calif.)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm so hyped for this generation/squad.

Also, how fucking great is mUSAh?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:36 am I'm so hyped for this generation/squad.

Also, how fucking great is mUSAh?
Increases the pain when the squad does not qualify for Tokyo in the next few weeks....I blame Atlanta United for holding back players...well that and lots of our good young players are first team Euros and not released for next week.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I guess I'm a little less worried about the Olympics, given all the other competition we have this summer. Also, maybe that squad will feel like underdogs and pull something off? It's not like we're sending a bunch of college kids out there.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:17 am
Fuck yeah!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:13 am I guess I'm a little less worried about the Olympics, given all the other competition we have this summer. Also, maybe that squad will feel like underdogs and pull something off? It's not like we're sending a bunch of college kids out there.
I don't know, I mean the lack of Olympic qualification the last number of chances comes to me as a bit of a depth, development, and such warning indicator. It is a hard qualification (only 2 teams) but wonder if that ties to the lack of recent success getting into the world cup.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Going back to the last cycle a big part of my diatribe post was the major gap we had in the young/professional (20-26) range players. And missing the Olympics was, as you point out, a bit of canary in the coal mine for that group.

But given the amount of incredible talent we have in this age range right now... It's almost a complete and total reversal of that trend at this point.

We've said it a bunch, and I think for us oldheads, it's hard for something of this magnitude to really sink in. I detailed a few pages back, but we have a legit starting lineup of world class players (at least playing on top level teams in the top leagues) of guys with only 1 or 2 over the age of 24.

That's a remarkable change from having to put fucking Wondolowski out there (ffs). The days of relying on Altidore and Bradley and a host of other guys in the sunset of their career in MLS are over.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm not convinced they're not gonna qualify. Key game is the first one on Thursday against CRC though. They win that, then should be able to beat the DR and that clinches a semifinal game to qualify against likely either Honduras, Canada or El Salvador and I like their chances in that game as well.

But lose to CRC and all of the sudden that Mexico game is a must-win.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge), Chituru Odunze (Leicester City), Zack Steffen (Manchester City)

DEFENDERS (10): John Brooks* (Wolfsburg), Reggie Cannon* (Boavista), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht), Erik Palmer-Brown (Austria Wien), Tim Ream (Fulham), Bryan Reynolds (AS Roma), Chris Richards* (Hoffenheim), Antonee Robinson (Fulham FC)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg), Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids) Tyler Adams* (RB Leipzig), Luca de la Torre (Heracles), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Yunus Musah (Valencia), Owen Otasowie (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

FORWARDS: (6): Daryl Dike (Barnsley FC), Nicholas Gioacchini (Caen), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), Gio Reyna* (Borussia Dortmund), Josh Sargent* (Werder Bremen), Tim Weah* (Lille)

* Indicates player will depart after March 25th match against Jamaica
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I guess Juventus wasn't psyched for McKinnie to leave? Too bad, would be nice to see this young group come together.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Berhalter said he has "a knock".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So who's our starting 6 & 8 out of that midfield pool?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gotta think Adams is the 6. Does Musa play the 8 for Valencia?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I think he plays a winger at Valencia, but I also think the way they are talking about him he could play as an 8.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Transfermarkt has RW as Musah's main position, with LW and AM as his "other" positions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I made myself laugh in my head with "AM = a midfielder".
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Interesting update on Alvarez. It helps that Jonathan Gonzalez has fallen of el tri's radar after picking the bad guys
https://sbisoccer.com/2021/03/berhalter ... m-decision
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Right, and now we're recruiting from a position of strength, not desperation. Makes a huge difference from both perspectives.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:07 pm Right, and now we're recruiting from a position of strength, not desperation. Makes a huge difference from both perspectives.
Yeah plus a good young core in Europe means eyeballs. If your dream is playing to Tigres, Pumas, and such Mexico is a fine choice. But if you see Weston, Dest, Konrad and such running around Champions League it may make you think about shots for more $.

Wonder how much the agents get involved in these types of decision.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

First Olympic qualifier is on FS1 today at 5:30.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Really too bad about TAA being left off England's roster.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not too psyched they pulled the 2:30 PST start time in Guadalajara.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:33 pm Not too psyched they pulled the 2:30 PST start time in Guadalajara.
Not TOO hot today, could be a lot, lot worse. I tend to worry more about the altitude in general anytime we're playing in Guadalajara or Mexico City.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well this is starting in an exciting manner. Big missed opportunity by the US, Ocoha standing tall and a yellow that sparked some pushing and shoving. Ref is going to need to be on his game or this will get Concacafy
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Anybody got a stream. FireTV wont even let me set up a sling free trial. TV sucks now
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:55 pm Anybody got a stream. FireTV wont even let me set up a sling free trial. TV sucks now
If you can stream FS1 that's where its at.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ref is actually doing a nice job. Better team is not winning right now.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Three years of obsessing about this tournament and I totally blanked on it starting today.

If you don't love Jesus by now, I don't know what to say.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ochoa is very good. Big physical goalie. Different than Rimando (who he replaced at RSL).
Costa Rica must have 15 corner kicks today and way more chances.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Thought of the night
MLS has been good for the USMNT but the benefit of the MLS to the other CONCACAF nations has been even better.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Man we were living right tonight.

I was going to ask whether the keeper was Dallas or RSL, those were the only two possibilities. He looked very good.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That was intense. They were totally gassed at the end.

wlu - I actually wrote a lengthy "article" on bigsoccer back in the early 2000s about that. It is obviously a huge boon for US players, but the fact that all these other countries can put their players in a back up league to FML is huge. If the only really good team in your country is Alajuense or Olympiad (or whatever) having all these slots on MLS teams is a huge benefit.

I'm not advocating, but there were times in many European leagues where they got really militant about non-native players (limiting slots.)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So putting all olympic qualifying here. Haiti went full goofy. Lots of players could not get visas and then they f'd up the covid protocols. So 10 men and a field player is the goalie. Game is on FS2
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:32 pm So putting all olympic qualifying here. Haiti went full goofy. Lots of players could not get visas and then they f'd up the covid protocols. So 10 men and a field player is the goalie. Game is on FS2
That appears to be going as well as you’d expect. Down 3-0 at halftime.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Took a bit for the States to get on the boards the other night. But they are into the semis regardless of the outcome against Mexico. Ochoa did not start in the pipes and the US actually used a bunch of new players. They did not really pick up until Dotson came in.

Technically all 4 teams are still in the hunt to play Mexico and the US for a spot in Tokyo. But Canada and Honduras play each other. They need a draw to both go through. Figure they will fight hard to not play Mexico (and if the US wins that could be fun)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:01 pm Took a bit for the States to get on the boards the other night. But they are into the semis regardless of the outcome against Mexico. Ochoa did not start in the pipes and the US actually used a bunch of new players. They did not really pick up until Dotson came in.

Technically all 4 teams are still in the hunt to play Mexico and the US for a spot in Tokyo. But Canada and Honduras play each other. They need a draw to both go through. Figure they will fight hard to not play Mexico (and if the US wins that could be fun)
Canada's draw with Haiti has to be an epic pantshitting, no?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

My only caveat here is that U23 eligibility has been expanded this year by one year so that everyone who would have qualified for Tokyo 2020 can still qualify. So really, we are looking at one extra year of talent. But even with that said, on the A/B team I don’t think anyone is 24 yet except for Yueill and Miles Robinson. There are more guys on the A/B team that will qualify for the *next* Olympics than that.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's nuts that there's a plausible A team that doesn't include Reyna.

I'm not even into the wasted energy of arguing the point, just noting that it's crazy how talented we are on those A/B teams.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I think you have to swap Reyna for Weah there. My short term fear is that there isn't a ton of O23 talent yet. 2026 should be really nice though.