The "Please No" Sexual Misconduct + Assault List

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

The "Please No" Sexual Misconduct + Assault List

Post by mister d »

As a mature grownup with an extremely low loyalty factor (granted and expected in return), there aren't that many famous people I would care if I had to immediately abandon them in this ongoing mess, but I came up with a few ...

- Michael Stipe: The only non-universal one I can think of off-hand, in part because of him and in part because of what a scandal involving him would look like. I really don't want to stop listening to REM ever so lets hope he's a good dude.

- Barack Obama: For legacy and historical importance reasons more than anything else.

- George Clooney / Paul Rudd: I'm not even really a fan of either of them, but they've always seemed kinda decent? I don't know. Maybe I feel the need to have a list longer than two.

I think those are the only two where I'd really be "pained", if that's the right word. I wouldn't throw up some kneejerk defense, but it would suck.
I really don't think there are any athletes who qualify. I grew up idolizing Lenny Dykstra so the whole "bursting of the childhood hero bubble" thing happened a long time ago. I wouldn't be thrilled with Messier or Jeter but I wouldn't be conflicted or specifically more upset. I'm going to keep thinking while you dipshits rush to be the first to post Jason Isbell.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Re: The "Please No" Sexual Misconduct + Assault List

Post by rass »

Your first two are pretty good choices.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Addison Russell.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

As a cynical bastard there aren't many that would cause me anguish.

I loved Woody Allen before he was revealed as a pedophile. That one stung because I had grown up loving his movies and his books.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

List pretty much begins and ends with Obama for me.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Dave, obviously. Barack too. That's about it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This brings up a few things:
1) I've loved the 25 yr anniversary stuff about Automatic for the People that's been out lately, and yes, a Michael Stipe scandal would be both disheartening and ugly as hell. Barack too.
2) I'm not surprised in the least by who's been outed recently (Trump, Weinstein, Spacey, Piven). I mean, it's not like I expected it about any of them, but I'm not surprised.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Piven seems like a guy I'd be surprised if he didn't. He just seems like a prick. (I've never watched Entourage).
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I always thought he was playing himself in Smokin' Aces.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote:Piven seems like a guy I'd be surprised if he didn't. He just seems like a prick. (I've never watched Entourage).

There's plenty of stories that he is. I know a couple good people who have worked with him who have nothing good to say about him (and his buddy John Cusack).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

[See my avatar.]
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote:[See my avatar.]

He's already been accused of sexual harassment.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:Piven seems like a guy I'd be surprised if he didn't. He just seems like a prick. (I've never watched Entourage).

There's plenty of stories that he is. I know a couple good people who have worked with him who have nothing good to say about him (and his buddy John Cusack).

Has John Cusack been accused? He might be on my list.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

brian wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:[See my avatar.]

He's already been accused of sexual harassment.

I thought it was just extramarital affairs? I know it was skeevy, but I didn't think in Weinstein/Spacey territory.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Yeah, I remember reading an article about Piven in GQ about a dozen years ago when Entourage was hot. I can't remember the details, but the general consensus was that he worked for a while in Hollywood before he hit it big, and instead of being appreciative of getting there, he was carrying on like he was doing Hollywood a favor by being there. Like I watched Piven in movies before and thought he was the second coming of fucking Olivier.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't think he forced himself on anyone physically, but there was definitely sexual advances on staffers. Some of those were consumated, but you have to assume there were many that were not and were unwanted. There were stories stating as much when the story originally came out.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Had a friend that worked for Letterman, from probably 2001-end of the show. She started as an intern, moved to accounting, then became a writer for the last 5-6 years or so of the show. I remember hearing that when she first got there no one at her level (intern) was allowed to talk to Dave, or (I think) be in an elevator alone with him. I believe that was for his protection after he had been sued. Other than that, I don't remember ever hearing anything bad from her about him.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

Cusack would be on my list, too. Maybe the only actor (other than Morgan Freeman).
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Didn't Morgan Freeman ditch his wife for a younger (possibly related lady)?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

duff wrote:Didn't Morgan Freeman ditch his wife for a younger (possibly related lady)?

Step grand daughter.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's what he should have said!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Thought of some more, maybe too many:

George Lucas
Steven Spielberg
John Williams (composer)
anyone major involved in Star Wars, really
Wes Anderson
Michael Jordan
Super Dave Osborne
Norm Macdonald
anyone involved in Seinfeld
any of the Beatles
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I mean, we're getting really close to someone getting out in front of this to look like a real stand-up role model, right?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:I mean, we're getting really close to someone getting out in front of this to look like a real stand-up role model, right?

With benefit of hindsight, that might have been the move for CK, but he missed that boat.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Vin Scully
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

brian wrote:
A_B wrote:I mean, we're getting really close to someone getting out in front of this to look like a real stand-up role model, right?

With benefit of hindsight, that might have been the move for CK, but he missed that boat.

Definitely would have been the move. Based on the times article, I'd say the guy was downright respectful for asking. I don't think a woman should feel disrespected because someone asks for sex. I only wish more women would ask. To me, the line is trying to use leverage to get the sex. A no strings attached request is totally ok. I guess some women just get bombarded with dick offers and I'm sure that gets old, but would they rather the opposite? Don't know. At least there's a discussion.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Eddie Vedder
Jerry Seinfeld
Stephen Colbert
The Rock
Will Ferrell
Rachel Bilson
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Giff wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:

Cusack would be on my list, too. Maybe the only actor (other than Morgan Freeman).

He hasn't been accused, to the best of my knowledge. My previous post was that people I know who have personal experience with those two have stated they are pricks. My apologies for any confusion with the intended aim of the thread.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Ellen.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sorry for it being YouTubers, but outside of The Rock (already stated) I really don't care that much about celebs.

Philly DeFranco
Sean Evans
Wil Wheaton
Rodney Smith (Has the board game channel called Watch It Played. Like, the nicest of nice Canadians ever. Literally the stereotype.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:

Yeah, I knew it was coming. Surely he did too.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

For me, I'd include any artist whose work I still enjoy. I don't want to have to make a moral choice any time I listen to some music or watch a movie because it turns out the artist is a dangerous asshole.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I find the perpetual love of Michael Jackson weird for that reason. Its almost impossible to believe he wasn't a pedophile.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bourdain would be a sneaky bad one too, because he does mostly solid work and seems to be masculine posturing over the worst of masculinity.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I hope this doesn't come off condescending, but I don't think there's anyone in terms of being a celebrity that I'd be devastated to find out about. Even if, for example, someone I found out to be a true hero like Mandela or Albert Schweitzer, they are still men in positions of power. It almost seems like par for the course. There are few more admired people in 20th Century America than MLK, and he was an obvious horndog.

Now if I found out my Dad did some sexual bullying in his past, then I'd be crushed. But a celebrity? Naah.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Saw a few tweets this morning, post-Louis, saying that it's often the ones who proclaim to be feminists that are actually offenders. Perhaps a few, (and Louis for sure), but in my opinion, (and Brenda Tracy's too) what this movement needs is more men saying how wrong this all has been.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Let me also mention that if you haven't read the Brenda Tracy article this week in The Ringer, take 20 minutes today to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

L-Jam3 wrote:Let me also mention that if you haven't read the Brenda Tracy article this week in The Ringer, take 20 minutes today to do so.

It's great. And by great, I mean important and moving and hard to read.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

L-Jam3 wrote:I hope this doesn't come off condescending, but I don't think there's anyone in terms of being a celebrity that I'd be devastated to find out about. Even if, for example, someone I found out to be a true hero like Mandela or Albert Schweitzer, they are still men in positions of power. It almost seems like par for the course. There are few more admired people in 20th Century America than MLK, and he was an obvious horndog.

Now if I found out my Dad did some sexual bullying in his past, then I'd be crushed. But a celebrity? Naah.

I think Obama would have crushing effects.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If I found out Howard was a sexual bully, I think I'd be crushed then, too.