A Top-Tier Pro Sporting First

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: A Top-Tier Pro Sporting First

Post by Sabo »

First excursion with the new ball was a success. I don't have an official handicap, but I estimate my average is about 150-160. My first games with the new ball were 177, 181 and 211. I've only broken 200 four times in my life, and the 211 is my second-highest score ever. Gotta say I like the ball's immediate impact on my scores.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:First excursion with the new ball was a success. I don't have an official handicap, but I estimate my average is about 150-160. My first games with the new ball were 177, 181 and 211. I've only broken 200 four times in my life, and the 211 is my second-highest score ever. Gotta say I like the ball's immediate impact on my scores.
Great to hear man. Make sure to wipe it down after use. New balls love to soak up oil.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

So, I've been bowling at least once a week for the last 7 or 8 months and I've been very inconsistent. When I got my ball in February, I saw an immediate increase in my scoring average (from about a 160 to around a 190), but that started to decline the more I bowled. I really struggled with consistently hitting the pocket. And while I'm decent at picking up spares, you won't score well unless you string strikes together.

I played in a league this summer, and a couple of guys bowled two handed. One guy was great with that method, but the other guy was still learning and wasn't nearly as good. I studied both of their approaches and release points and soon realized bowling two handed is not as hard as it looks.

So, during my practice sessions, I would play one game where I would bowl two handed. I only throw my strike ball two handed ... I still pick up spares with the conventional method. I found I enjoyed bowling a lot more when I rolled two handed, so I'm starting to do it more frequently. Last night I decided to bowl all of my practice games two handed. And something clicked, because I had seven consecutive strikes in my first game and finished with a 246, which is my new personal best.

Unfortunately whatever clicked unclicked in the second game, and I plummeted to a 139. Still, who cares ... new best score!

And if anyone doesn't know what two-handed bowling looks like, here's an example. I don't thrown the ball nearly as hard as he does, though.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo bowls a 246 using two handed approach
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Two handed Sabo? SMDH.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:Two handed Sabo? SMDH.
Yeah, but 246. TWO FORTY-SIX, BSF!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:
Did you have the front 7?

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:
Sabo wrote:
No, went strike, open, 7 bagger, spare and strike in 10th.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

im definitely trying that. kids do that naturally because they cant carry the ball.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Sabo wrote:
No, went strike, open, 7 bagger, spare and strike in 10th.
Choker.

In all honesty, 2 handing just doesn't interest me. We had a few guys in the league do it last year. They were all sandbaggers. They'd just pretend like they lost the pattern if their team was up, but when they needed it they'd pull out a Storm Optimus or Crux and rattle them off 6-9 straight. With ball tech how it is, shooting on a house pattern, 2 handing just feels cheap.

Maybe that's because the one time I tried it I threw it down and adjacent lane. Could have something to do with it.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:Choker.

In all honesty, 2 handing just doesn't interest me. We had a few guys in the league do it last year. They were all sandbaggers. They'd just pretend like they lost the pattern if their team was up, but when they needed it they'd pull out a Storm Optimus or Crux and rattle them off 6-9 straight. With ball tech how it is, shooting on a house pattern, 2 handing just feels cheap.

Maybe that's because the one time I tried it I threw it down and adjacent lane. Could have something to do with it.
I'm using the same ball I throw one handed, so I don't feel like I'm cheating with the technology. My playing partners also throw one handed, but their balls have a greater back end movement that would be ideal for a two-handed throw. One has experimented with a two-handed throw, but it just doesn't work for him.

Sandbaggers suck, but is the league allows them to switch balls in the middle of league play, what can you do? I'd prefer leagues adopt rules that you can only use two balls in a game and they have to be declared before the game starts. That would help reduce that kind of nonsense you described.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You can just as easily sandbag with one ball if you really want to, so I don't know it would do much other than piss off the equipment nerds in the league (which I'm not against, mind you). This league I'm on now really only has a couple of guys that bring their entire arsenal for league play. And at least they're polite about putting the extras in the designated area behind the approach.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Choker.

I'm using the same ball I throw one handed, so I don't feel like I'm cheating with the technology. My playing partners also throw one handed, but their balls have a greater back end movement that would be ideal for a two-handed throw. One has experimented with a two-handed throw, but it just doesn't work for him.

Sandbaggers suck, but is the league allows them to switch balls in the middle of league play, what can you do? I'd prefer leagues adopt rules that you can only use two balls in a game and they have to be declared before the game starts. That would help reduce that kind of nonsense you described.
Are you throwing a Breeze? I can't remember what you sent me a picture of. Either way nice work on the high game. I don't think I've gone higher than my 236 yet. That's my last tag in /r/bowling.

I need to get my ball bled and decide if I going to roll this winter. I've got season tickets to the local hockey team and it makes league night hard. Most of the guys I roll with are also season ticket holders too.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:You can just as easily sandbag with one ball if you really want to, so I don't know it would do much other than piss off the equipment nerds in the league (which I'm not against, mind you). This league I'm on now really only has a couple of guys that bring their entire arsenal for league play. And at least they're polite about putting the extras in the designated area behind the approach.
Fair point. But I think it's a bit dishonest to change equipment in the middle of a game like that. A strike ball and a spare ball is one thing, but to change your strike ball because the lane conditions have changed is BS. Bowling is supposed to be a game of skill, not a game where having more equipment means you'll score better. I liken it to golf. When you start a golf round, you can't change your equipment, regardless of what happens. You break your putter during a round? Enjoy putting with your driver instead. Your driver is configured for a draw and the wind is blowing to the left at 30 mph? Too bad.
BSF21 wrote:Are you throwing a Breeze? I can't remember what you sent me a picture of. Either way nice work on the high game. I don't think I've gone higher than my 236 yet. That's my last tag in /r/bowling.

I need to get my ball bled and decide if I going to roll this winter. I've got season tickets to the local hockey team and it makes league night hard. Most of the guys I roll with are also season ticket holders too.
No, my strike ball is an Ebonite Cyclone, and I have a Columbia 300 White Dot as my spare ball.

I don't think my ball needs to be bled quite yet, but I really need to get some of the oil out of it. I wipe them down after each session, and I usually use ball cleaner after two or three sessions. One of my playing partners said he took a towel, got it very wet and put it in the microwave for a minute or so until it was very warm (but not super hot) and wiped it down. He was amazed at how much oil and dirt he got off the ball.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote:
brian wrote:You can just as easily sandbag with one ball if you really want to, so I don't know it would do much other than piss off the equipment nerds in the league (which I'm not against, mind you). This league I'm on now really only has a couple of guys that bring their entire arsenal for league play. And at least they're polite about putting the extras in the designated area behind the approach.
Fair point. But I think it's a bit dishonest to change equipment in the middle of a game like that. A strike ball and a spare ball is one thing, but to change your strike ball because the lane conditions have changed is BS. Bowling is supposed to be a game of skill, not a game where having more equipment means you'll score better. I liken it to golf. When you start a golf round, you can't change your equipment, regardless of what happens. You break your putter during a round? Enjoy putting with your driver instead. Your driver is configured for a draw and the wind is blowing to the left at 30 mph? Too bad.
BSF21 wrote:Are you throwing a Breeze? I can't remember what you sent me a picture of. Either way nice work on the high game. I don't think I've gone higher than my 236 yet. That's my last tag in /r/bowling.

No, my strike ball is an Ebonite Cyclone, and I have a Columbia 300 White Dot as my spare ball.

I don't think my ball needs to be bled quite yet, but I really need to get some of the oil out of it. I wipe them down after each session, and I usually use ball cleaner after two or three sessions. One of my playing partners said he took a towel, got it very wet and put it in the microwave for a minute or so until it was very warm (but not super hot) and wiped it down. He was amazed at how much oil and dirt he got off the ball.
I've heard a million different methods, most of which seem to work until they dont and you end up cracking the ball. I put mine in front of a space heater last year and the amount of oil that came out of it was insane.

I've heard plugging the holes and soaking it in a bucket works, I've heard of baking it, I've never heard of microwaving it.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

He was microwaving the towel, not the ball.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

That makes way more sense.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Check out BSF and his fancy microwave big enough to fit a bowling ball!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:Check out BSF and his fancy microwave big enough to fit a bowling ball!
Fit? Yes. Load rated for a 15lb ball the way it is hung over my oven? Doubtful.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It bugs me when people have a "putting" ball on the greens only, usually a nice Pro V1 that they don't want to lose or some stupid shit like. It bothers me a lot. A whole lot.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote:It bugs me when people have a "putting" ball on the greens only, usually a nice Pro V1 that they don't want to lose or some stupid shit like. It bothers me a lot. A whole lot.
It's also against the rules of golf.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That is just unacceptable. If it is so damn lucky/important, tee it up.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote:
A_B wrote:It bugs me when people have a "putting" ball on the greens only, usually a nice Pro V1 that they don't want to lose or some stupid shit like. It bothers me a lot. A whole lot.
It's also against the rules of golf.
yuppers.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Will be interesting to see if this ever comes to fruition. I assume handicapping will be involved.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Mr. 900: Bill Fong's Story

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So finally got that first 700 last night. Need to make some nervy shots in the 9th, 10th and 11th. Just tried to keep the ball on the middle of the alley in the 12th.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

What was the split in 8? Nice going, strong finish.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

howard wrote:What was the split in 8? Nice going, strong finish.
3-10. Should have picked it up really. That and booting a 4-7 in the first game were my only misses.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Congrats, brian!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Wow! Very impressive.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

By the way, I love your team's name.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:By the way, I love your team's name.
That was my doing. Though roughly 20-25 percent of all bowling team names are Lebowski-related these days.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Going to trash your average. Hard to sandbag now
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:
That was my doing. Though roughly 20-25 percent of all bowling team names are Lebowski-related these days.
My summer league's team name this year is "We Don't Give a Split". It was either that or "Bowl Movements", which I didn't like.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:
brian wrote:
My summer league's team name this year is "We Don't Give a Split". It was either that or "Bowl Movements", which I didn't like.
Yeah, the 75-ish percent of team names that aren't Lebowski related are typically bowling puns.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sabo wrote:My summer league's team name this year is "We Don't Give a Split". It was either that or "Bowl Movements", which I didn't like.
I don't know, man. I kinda like the latter. And you could always do Bowl Movmnts or something super-duper-ultra clever like that.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That's fantastic, Brian.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I had a pretty good night on the lanes tonight.

I rolled a 199 in the first game and a 203 in the second, which is pretty good considering my league average is 172.

I started the third game with a crap strike ball and ended up with a 1-2-4-10 split. I was able to get the washout and pick up the split. I then went on a run of six strikes and ended up with a 257, which is my new personal best. It's also the first clean game (all strikes and spares) I think I've ever had. And on top of that, I ended up with a 659 series, and I think that's my first 600 series ever.

Tonight was a lot of fun. We'll see if I regress to the mean next week.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice work, Sabes!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.