Metrosexual Tips II

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Sabo
The Dude

Re: Metrosexual Tips II

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:41 am Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 10.41.01 AM.png
How did your tryout for the new Village People go?
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sabo wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:57 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:41 am Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 10.41.01 AM.png
How did your tryout for the new Village People go?
They thought I was too over the top for their audience.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

On my recent trip to Italy, I realized I never wear any pants besides jeans. Since I'm now getting old, I've decided to mix it up, but have no ideas on what to look for. I don't want khakis, pleated fronts, or cargo pants. Just some normal, casual pants that aren't jeans. Any brands to recommend?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

These are the best non-jeans pants I've ever had.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:31 pm On my recent trip to Italy, I realized I never wear any pants besides jeans. Since I'm now getting old, I've decided to mix it up, but have no ideas on what to look for. I don't want khakis, pleated fronts, or cargo pants. Just some normal, casual pants that aren't jeans. Any brands to recommend?
Mission Comfort Chinos in a variety of colors from Territory Ahead are absolutely aces in my book, but they might violate your no-khakis rule.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

$100 pants are called suits. I'm cheap I know.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:45 pm These are the best non-jeans pants I've ever had.
Should have also specified no joggers/drawstring pants...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:49 pm
That's what I've already got!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Olivers
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Saw this commercial last night and the nice young lady is wearing those fucking jeans, right? Look at that fucking V seam in the front!

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:45 pm These are the best non-jeans pants I've ever had.
Joggers are intriguing, but I think I've hit the age where unless I get in better shape I'll look like this...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sneakers might go better.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The active but dressy enough form work pants are great but generally priced at a premium. But with some basic work you can find the same type of pants from a lesson heavily marketed brand.

My best example of this is Birddog. I have found Amazon has 100 brands of similar style and quality by just typing in the brand you want.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've become fond of the Magellan (Academy's brand) pants. I have a rotation of khakis and grey that are extremely comfortable and affordable.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I'm a big fan of the public rec every day pants. they're pricey (~$100) but the most comfortable pants I own. I have three pairs and wear them from running errands, to dinner, to play golf, etc

they do have a drawstring on the inside and no belt loops, so tucking a shirt in is a no go. but if you're wearing a t-shirt or pullover or untucked shirt they look like dress pants and feel like sweatpants
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:48 pm I'm a big fan of the public rec every day pants. they're pricey (~$100) but the most comfortable pants I own. I have three pairs and wear them from running errands, to dinner, to play golf, etc

they do have a drawstring on the inside and no belt loops, so tucking a shirt in is a no go. but if you're wearing a t-shirt or pullover or untucked shirt they look like dress pants and feel like sweatpants
Interesting... They do look really comfortable, but they look like they'd fit like skinny jeans. I don't think I could buy pants without trying them on.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have a friend who says this about sneakers but why not just order 2 or 3 possible fits and return the ones you don't like?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:01 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:48 pm I'm a big fan of the public rec every day pants. they're pricey (~$100) but the most comfortable pants I own. I have three pairs and wear them from running errands, to dinner, to play golf, etc

Interesting... They do look really comfortable, but they look like they'd fit like skinny jeans. I don't think I could buy pants without trying them on.
they do not fit like skinny jeans. I have to be very picky about jeans because of fit for lifting-related reasons and have had no issues with these

they fit true to size as well. i could have gotten away with the waist size down but went up instead of down because of the drawstring
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like I'd be happier in the joggers but assume the cuffs make them too clearly casual?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:25 pm I have a friend who says this about sneakers but why not just order 2 or 3 possible fits and return the ones you don't like?
This is me being stupid. For some reason that seems like a huge hassle, but if I think about it, that is way better than going to a store.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the worst thing to buy online right now is a new era hat. their sizing is just stupidly inconsistent. just bought two hats a couple weeks ago and one fits better than the other despite them being the same size
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That's hat life for you. Very high rate of variance within the same product.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

A_B wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:04 am I should state that my bar is generally "don't have the worst looking lawn in the neighborhood" and usually I am able to deal with that. If it takes me 10 days to muster up caring so be it.

I did go with Sunday lawn care this year to try something different, and while it hasn't cured everything it's been solid so far.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

You got me. I bought a pair and they're great.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Also, I guess I officially became a middle-aged ponytail guy this week? Like, my hair is shoulder length and I had to be around other people in a professional setting where my existing status as a middle-aged baseball hat guy couldn't be maintained and I don't want to cut my hair, so I rocked a pony all week long.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Gateway pants.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I wore the Portland pants and first unleashed the ponytail during the setup/unofficial kickoff session on Monday.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

rass wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:09 pm I wore the Portland pants and first unleashed the ponytail during the setup/unofficial kickoff session on Monday.
We need band and beer recommendations.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

For the first time in ages, I wore corduroy pants some days on vacation. I liked ‘em.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:04 pm Also, I guess I officially became a middle-aged ponytail guy this week? Like, my hair is shoulder length and I had to be around other people in a professional setting where my existing status as a middle-aged baseball hat guy couldn't be maintained and I don't want to cut my hair, so I rocked a pony all week long.
I was a tight-bun guy until the entire family demanded I go back to old me.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:17 pm
rass wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:04 pm Also, I guess I officially became a middle-aged ponytail guy this week? Like, my hair is shoulder length and I had to be around other people in a professional setting where my existing status as a middle-aged baseball hat guy couldn't be maintained and I don't want to cut my hair, so I rocked a pony all week long.
I was a tight-bun guy until the entire family demanded I go back to old me.

My wife has not been the biggest fan during this now almost 2-year-old process of growing out my hair but she's vocally complemented the ponytail a couple of times and I can't tell if I've just finally made the most of what she still considers a bad situation or if she's trying reverse psychology since nothing else has worked. The kids like (youngest) and love (oldest) the long hair.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:00 pm
What's the story with the hem on the left thigh? These do look comfortable.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

It has been two plus years of not getting a haircut. It has nice curl to it, so I am always complimented when I wear it down in public. The wife has gotten used to it, but she would prefer it not be so long. The girls like it, as long I don't go out in public with pigtails.

I try to mix it up at work. Mix between keeping it down, ponytail, top bun on top, loose bun in back. I am just surprised my boss or the owner hasn't said anything about it. But I guess when you get the job done, it doesn't matter what kind of hair you have. Old boss definitely did not see it that way.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:44 pm
There is a pocket there, with a zipper along the outside seam.

I have a similar style from a different company and like both the fabric and fit of these ones a lot more. The drawstring can be tucked in the waist and there are belt loops so they looked just business casual enough for me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

duff wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:46 pm It has been two plus years of not getting a haircut. It has nice curl to it, so I am always complimented when I wear it down in public.
Yeah man. My hair was never this curly when I last had it long 25+ years ago in college.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:00 pm

I have a similar style from a different company and like both the fabric and fit of these ones a lot more. The drawstring can be tucked in the waist and there are belt loops so they looked just business casual enough for me.
The fact that these have drawstrings likely make this question less important, but did you order in the same waist size that you wear jeans?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:06 pm
rass wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:00 pm

The fact that these have drawstrings likely make this question less important, but did you order in the same waist size that you wear jeans?
I did. The photos for the color I ordered had a note that the model was my height and he was wearing my size so I went for it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Alright, I'm in. Just ordered a tester pair and if I like them, I'll do a few more and call it a winter.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:16 pm Alright, I'm in. Just ordered a tester pair and if I like them, I'll do a few more and call it a winter.
They look nice, but there is no way my Saquan Barkleyesque thighs are fitting in those.
-Pruitt