Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick ***4-8 NONLINEAR***

Post by EnochRoot »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:29 am This is tough because 1. they're a live band, not a studio band. 2. They're best albums are live, or at least partially live. 3. The seminal album is great but I prefer tracks on others.

My selection is The Grateful Dead, Wake of the Flood (with a hat tip to Bob Weir's album Ace, which involves all the members aside from Pigpen, and was a Dead album in all but name.)

Interesting. As for studio LPs, I'm partial to the earlier stuff from the late 60s/early 70s. Aoxomoxoa or Workingman's. But there's a ton of ethereal beauty captured in Wake of the Flood. Here Comes Sunshine is probably my favorite Dead song.
Last edited by EnochRoot on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 am This guy has flown under the radar for so long, I probably could've assumed he'd drop, but frankly I love this album so much, I can't afford to let someone grab it.

Take Werewolves and put it aside, the title track, Lawyers, Guns and Money, Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner and Johnny Strikes up the Band remain some of my favorite songs of all time.

Jackson Brown, Mick Fleetwood and Linda Ronstat are the most notable , but the album is full of some of the most notable session guys and songwriters of that time.

If you haven't start-to-finished this one in awhile, do yourself a favor...

Thing about Zevon I like is the fact he's so un-peggable. Jackson Browne, but less dad rock-y. It's as if Leonard Cohen and Randy Newman collided in mid air.

Have you read I'll Sleep When I'm Dead?
I haven't... Recommend?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:41 am If I edited my post on the first page to include it, would that screw things up from a formatting perspective??
Probably not.

Can you tinyurl it or something so the board doesn't automatically try to embed the sheet, and then just post the link?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick ***4-10 BSF***

Post by mister d »

Mike Hargrove up so I guess I'll see you guys Monday.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 am
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 am This guy has flown under the radar for so long, I probably could've assumed he'd drop, but frankly I love this album so much, I can't afford to let someone grab it.

Take Werewolves and put it aside, the title track, Lawyers, Guns and Money, Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner and Johnny Strikes up the Band remain some of my favorite songs of all time.

Jackson Brown, Mick Fleetwood and Linda Ronstat are the most notable , but the album is full of some of the most notable session guys and songwriters of that time.

If you haven't start-to-finished this one in awhile, do yourself a favor...

Thing about Zevon I like is the fact he's so un-peggable. Jackson Browne, but less dad rock-y. It's as if Leonard Cohen and Randy Newman collided in mid air.

Have you read I'll Sleep When I'm Dead?
I haven't... Recommend?
I'd recommend it to any fan of Zevon, particularly those who go beyond the radio staples. It's written by his wife through a collection of interviews with his contemporaries. Hell yes. I mean, it's not some 'meaning of life' revelation, but it's a good read. Pulp biography.
Noli Timere Messorem
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:45 am Mike Hargrove up so I guess I'll see you guys Monday.
THE MAN HAS DOGS
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I had Bruce and CSNY both lined up in my queue. Twas not to be.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Also, "...she needed the money" always (still) made (makes) me laugh.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:44 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:41 am If I edited my post on the first page to include it, would that screw things up from a formatting perspective??
Probably not.

Can you tinyurl it or something so the board doesn't automatically try to embed the sheet, and then just post the link?
Ok, I'll drop it on that first page.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:41 am
Interesting. As for studio LPs, I'm partial to the earlier stuff from the late 60s/early 70s. Aoxomoxoa or Workingman's. But there's a ton of ethereal beauty captured in Wake of the Flood. Here Comes Sunshine is probably my favorite Dead song.
It's Weather Report and Eyes of the World that made the pick for me. I do like the Americana of Workingman's, but that's always the pick in these sort of endeavours. Aoxomoxoa is good, but sometimes a tad over the top (the heavy air sounds maaaaan.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:28 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:41 am
It's Weather Report and Eyes of the World that made the pick for me. I do like the Americana of Workingman's, but that's always the pick in these sort of endeavours. Aoxomoxoa is good, but sometimes a tad over the top (the heavy air sounds maaaaan.)
No love for American Beauty or Terrapin?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Back again and we need some varied tones in the Cabin. Something to throw on when we're working out or have had a bad day and need to let it out.

BSF's Vinyl and Dog-Filled Friday selects:

Eminem -- The Marshall Mathers LP

Transformed a genre and made hip hop accessible to more people than it ever had before. I'll admit that I was too young to be formed by NWA and the like, but this shit holds up 18 years after it was released.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:46 pm Back again and we need some varied tones in the Cabin. Something to throw on when we're working out or have had a bad day and need to let it out.

Transformed a genre and made hip hop accessible to more people than it ever had before. I'll admit that I was too young to be formed by NWA and the like, but this shit holds up 18 years after it was released.
Dude. No. It was always accessible.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:47 pm
BSF21 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:46 pm Back again and we need some varied tones in the Cabin. Something to throw on when we're working out or have had a bad day and need to let it out.

I like this album. It's the best album from a guy who did a lot of good albums. I'll admit that I was too young to be formed by NWA and the like, but this shit holds up 18 years after it was released.
Dude. No. It was always accessible.
Better? I don't really want to argue. Em was revolutionary at the time, and this album was the one that went from "funny white guy who can rap look at that" to serious, deeply personal and painful shit. Something about that is special. Woo-hoo.

Also, Excitable Boy was my next pick. I think I'll throw that one on the turntable later.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah, i was probably too contentious, I've just heard that said about Eminem before. He was/is great but I think that argument is code for : He made white people less scared to say they liked hip hop.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bfj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:44 pm
I love pieces of both actually. But aside from the suite Terrapin is very hit or miss. Though France might be the best thing they ever recorded! . American Beauty I love Box of Rain and Ripple, the rest is either overplayed or too sentimental. If I hear the opening sounds of the vast majority of the slower tunes in concert I was either sitting rolling a joint or headed to the bathroom.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:57 pm
bfj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:44 pm
I love pieces of both actually. But aside from the suite Terrapin is very hit or miss. Though France might be the best thing they ever recorded! . American Beauty I love Box of Rain and Ripple, the rest is either overplayed or too sentimental. If I hear the opening sounds of the vast majority of the slower tunes in concert I was either sitting rolling a joint or headed to the bathroom.

Operator, Attics, Brokedown, Candyman and Till the Morning Comes, in addition to Box and Ripple make it my favorite studio album. Sugar Mag, FOTD and Truckin' are just too overplayed for me.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Just finished listening to The National's Alligator. Added it to my playlist. Good music to work by, really dug the song Abel.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

There are still three of my favorite bands - and pretty big ones too - that haven't been picked. Certainly they are all more conventionally successful than at least 50% of what's been picked. The Swamp has some unconventional music tastes!
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

bfj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:37 pm Just finished listening to The National's Alligator. Added it to my playlist. Good music to work by, really dug the song Abel.
When you feel like diving back in, try Boxer. Its a bit of a shift so I'm curious.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:53 pm There are still three of my favorite bands - and pretty big ones too - that haven't been picked. Certainly they are all more conventionally successful than at least 50% of what's been picked. The Swamp has some unconventional music tastes!
Just because Nickelback sold a lot of records it doesn't mean they're good.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:53 pm There are still three of my favorite bands - and pretty big ones too - that haven't been picked. Certainly they are all more conventionally successful than at least 50% of what's been picked. The Swamp has some unconventional music tastes!
Yup. Eagles and Beegees still available.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

+ Coldplay.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:55 pm
bfj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:37 pm Just finished listening to The National's Alligator. Added it to my playlist. Good music to work by, really dug the song Abel.
When you feel like diving back in, try Boxer. Its a bit of a shift so I'm curious.
Not a shot at cheds, but I definitely like their next two more than Alligator.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

There are exactly 3 that I would trade back up for right now but once they're gone I'm content to just go all out on personal favorites

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, I keep banging on this beat, but the Eagles are like the epitome of a group that has put out amazing music, but it's been ground to dust via overplay and to some extent doesn't hold up that well.
Sabo
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick ***4-7 ENOCHROOT***

Post by Sabo »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 am I gambled this pick would fall to me in the 4th. Whew.

The past is yours, but the future's mine. This is basically my holy grail disc.
Classic Rock Review wrote:It was complex in its foundation, containing a hydra-headed monster of influences from krautrock, funk and psychedelia to rock and reggae. But the Stone Roses, under the direction of Squire's kaleidoscope of jingle-jangle guitars and Ian Brown's situationist sloganeering, not to mention Mani and Reni's supremely tight rhythm section, took this tapestry of genres and created a fresh and effortless debut. No wonder the world is still waiting for the Stone Roses.

GREAT album. Listened to this album a ton in high school and college. "I Am the Resurrection" remains one of my favorite songs to this day.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

There's one band that I'm really shocked hasn't been selected yet given previous Swamp music discourse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've actually never really understood the hatred a lot of folks have for The Eagles. I think we've discussed it more than once on this here board. I know they were played a lot, but that's true of most big classic rock bands.

(My three - Motley Crue, Toto, and Bon Jovi) (maybe)
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick ***4-7 ENOCHROOT***Q

Post by EnochRoot »

Sabo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:23 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 am I gambled this pick would fall to me in the 4th. Whew.

The past is yours, but the future's mine. This is basically my holy grail disc.
Classic Rock Review wrote:It was complex in its foundation, containing a hydra-headed monster of influences from krautrock, funk and psychedelia to rock and reggae. But the Stone Roses, under the direction of Squire's kaleidoscope of jingle-jangle guitars and Ian Brown's situationist sloganeering, not to mention Mani and Reni's supremely tight rhythm section, took this tapestry of genres and created a fresh and effortless debut. No wonder the world is still waiting for the Stone Roses.

GREAT album. Listened to this album a ton in high school and college. "I Am the Resurrection" remains one of my favorite songs to this day.
It’s kinda like a banana. Quite possibly the world’s perfect album.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:26 pm I've actually never really understood the hatred a lot of folks have for The Eagles. I think we've discussed it more than once on this here board. I know they were played a lot, but that's true of most big classic rock bands.

(My three - Motley Crue, Toto, and Bon Jovi) (maybe)
I absolutely agree with you. I watched the documentary on them and, man... They were fucking GOOD. Henley and Frey were crazy good songwriters and musicians.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I can’t imagine not liking the Eagles unless you already knew about the Eagles, if that makes sense

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That last statement applies for more than just the band.

ETA: Dammitt. Nevermind. I read Turd's statement wrong. Carry on.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think a lot of people think a lot of other people don't like the eagles because every time the eagles get mentioned someone comes in with the quote from the big lebowski.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:55 pm
Definitely. I'll fully admit Boxer is the better album. That being said, if you like Alligator, you'll probably like Boxer.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That’s what I’m kind of curious about. I think if you don’t like The National, you still might kinda like Alligator whereas you definitely won’t like Boxer.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:35 pm That’s what I’m kind of curious about. I think if you don’t like The National, you still might kinda like Alligator whereas you definitely won’t like Boxer.
So for REM it’s the Out of Time conundrum?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I don't think so. It's not that far out of the canon. With the National, it's a continued polishing until the last album, which is a diversion towards experimentation.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I think that’s the album where The National became a definable and constant sound. Berninger can and does still rip it up in concert but I don’t think they’ve put out anything close to Abel or Mr. November in studio. And when they try, like Turtleneck, ick ...