Ping! College Baseball Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Ping! College Baseball Thread

Post by brian »

Don't sleep on CMU maybe upsetting Florida in the opening game (I don't think they have the pitching depth to win the whole regional, but CMU can smash on offense).

(They're in upper right quadrant "behind" Texas Tech's logo.)

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:05 pm Stanford is ranked in the top ten and will be hosting a regional tournament. Might go to a game or two!
Go ahead and root for Texas State!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:10 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:05 pm Stanford is ranked in the top ten and will be hosting a regional tournament. Might go to a game or two!
Go ahead and root for Texas State!
I saw that your alma mater is here. I’m going to be out of town Friday and Saturday but if they are playing Sunday I might be there for you.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Three weeks later and I'd be there myself.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Texas State 2-0 so far!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Go state!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oklahoma State went from down 12-0 to winning 29-15 today.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sounds like there was some interesting call in the Maryland - UCONN game, but have not seen a description. Anyone know what happened? From what I read it was the right call but a tough rule.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That was fucking brutal. Score two to take a 3-1 lead going into bottom of the ninth only to see it evaporated three pitches later. They would've hosted the super regional too.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Umpire Perry Costello has no time for college kids like ECU's Bryson Worrell admiring his home run. Ridiculous.

How do you all get your death notices since I left?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:50 am Sounds like there was some interesting call in the Maryland - UCONN game, but have not seen a description. Anyone know what happened? From what I read it was the right call but a tough rule.
The baserunner was running in fair territory and collided with the first baseman. That forces the umpire’s hand to call runner interference.

Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:52 am That was fucking brutal. Score two to take a 3-1 lead going into bottom of the ninth only to see it evaporated three pitches later. They would've hosted the super regional too.
That was brutal, Giff. Sorry man.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Thankfully, I wasn't able to watch the MI - LOU game, because looking at a recap, sure looks like M got screwed in the 8th a bad review of what should've been a 3rd out at 2nd and then two 2 strike pitches being called balls that let to HRs. Should've been out of the inning up 2 runs, wound up going to the top of the 9th down 2.

The calls I saw on YouTube were pretty egregious. Whatevs, I guess, umpiring is not great in college.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Those last two words were unnecessary.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:10 pm Those last two words were unnecessary.
It's like I always say...you can lead a hors to fish, but you can't fish out
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

MLB umpiring isn’t great, but I believe it’s light years ahead of college baseball.

I watched a fair bit on tv and it appeared there were lots of sketchy calls all over the country in the regionals.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:15 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:50 am Sounds like there was some interesting call in the Maryland - UCONN game, but have not seen a description. Anyone know what happened? From what I read it was the right call but a tough rule.
The baserunner was running in fair territory and collided with the first baseman. That forces the umpire’s hand to call runner interference.

I don't know where he's supposed to go there. I mean, yes, he was running inside the chalk before the ball hit him, but he arrived on the bag at the same time as the ball. If it's interference when you're stepping on the bag, I'm not sure where else he's supposed to go. Unless they decide to put an orange safety bag there like they do in Little League.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Reaper wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:02 pm

I don't know where he's supposed to go there. I mean, yes, he was running inside the chalk before the ball hit him, but he arrived on the bag at the same time as the ball. If it's interference when you're stepping on the bag, I'm not sure where else he's supposed to go. Unless they decide to put an orange safety bag there like they do in Little League.
It's not about where he's supposed to go. He was clearly going to collide with the first baseman. His problem was he had been running outside the baseline (in fair territory), so that when he collided with the first baseman, by the rule book it was his fault.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, he’s clearly inside the line. Whether or not a collision is going to happen, the inside belongs to the fielder. If that exact play happens on the line or on the foul side, there’s no issue.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:37 pm Yeah, he’s clearly inside the line. Whether or not a collision is going to happen, the inside belongs to the fielder. If that exact play happens on the line or on the foul side, there’s no issue.
For clarity's sake - "inside the line" means "fair territory," whereas, running "Inside the lines" would've meant within the box (that he's supposed to be running).
Noli Timere Messorem
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:00 pm

It's not about where he's supposed to go. He was clearly going to collide with the first baseman. His problem was he had been running outside the baseline (in fair territory), so that when he collided with the first baseman, by the rule book it was his fault.
I agree that by the rule book it was his fault. My argument is against the rule book. It is unnatural to run in the runner's box, because it doesn't lead directly to the base, which is why pretty much nobody does it. There is no other base where a runner is expected to know where the throw is coming from behind them where they would be called out. I know people would complain it looks like softball, but I'm all in favor of a "safety bag" if that's where the runner's lane leads to (and would lead to less Machado'ing at first base).
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Reaper wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:33 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:00 pm

I agree that by the rule book it was his fault. My argument is against the rule book. It is unnatural to run in the runner's box, because it doesn't lead directly to the base, which is why pretty much nobody does it. There is no other base where a runner is expected to know where the throw is coming from behind them where they would be called out. I know people would complain it looks like softball, but I'm all in favor of a "safety bag" if that's where the runner's lane leads to (and would lead to less Machado'ing at first base).
Except that when players run outside the base path - it's OK 99/100. Except for the times it's not. Then it's the fault of the baserunner.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yup. Kid in my oldest’s league was called out avoiding a tag inside (closer to the mound!) going 2nd to 3rd and it’s the same logic. One side is legal and the other side isn’t and that’s just the rules.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, neither of the two finalists in the College World Series (Mississippi and Oklahoma) were among the 16 seeded teams in the 64-team tournament. To put it in March Madness terms, it’s like #6 and #7 seeds playing for the title.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Teams are going to Dorms because of Railbird Festival, Brass Band festival, High School Baseball, and Track and Field
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... s-kentucky
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The sixteen 4-team regional tournaments are now completed, with the super-regionals coming up to determine the 8 teams who’ll advance to the College World Series.

7 of the 16 seeded teams lost in their regionals. But, Stanford won theirs and will host Texas in their super this weekend. I might go catch a game, if I can!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Your knees are going to be killing you the next day!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’ve been a huge Uk fan since Friday. Even trash talked bsf a bit.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

1) I love this time of year, when you can tune into either the softball or baseball tournament and there's one elimination game after another. So much drama!

2) My alma mater just batted their way into the final, best of 3 series for the D3 championship. They are ranked #1. This is only the second time in school history that they've gotten this far.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:15 pm I’ve been a huge Uk fan since Friday. Even trash talked bsf a bit.
I guess I kinda did too!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Don't sleep on WCWS either. I guess it's down to the final two now, FSU and OU, so not much left in the season. Flipped over to it last night during a break in the Stanley Cup game and I almost didn't turn back.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:27 pm Don't sleep on WCWS either. I guess it's down to the final two now, FSU and OU, so not much left in the season. Flipped over to it last night during a break in the Stanley Cup game and I almost didn't turn back.
My sister has tickets every year and I'm finally going to go next year. She's more than paid for them the last few years by selling the championship game tickets since OU has been a fixture and it's just up the road from them.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've been arguably a bigger college softball fan than baseball, because MI has been REALLY good and fun to watch for over a decade.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:16 pm 1) I love this time of year, when you can tune into either the softball or baseball tournament and there's one elimination game after another. So much drama!

2) My alma mater just batted their way into the final, best of 3 series for the D3 championship. They are ranked #1. This is only the second time in school history that they've gotten this far.
The D3 tourney was in Battle Creek when I was growing up there.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Cedar Rapids these days.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bottom of the 7th in the deciding game (split the first 2 games). Lunchbag (Lynchburg) v Johnny Hopkins. Lunchbag up 7-5
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also the Lynchburg fans behind home plate are fun.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

top of the 8th. Bases full of Bluejays with 1 out. This will be a good finish for a Championship
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jays get 1 (bad decision to send the tie it up runner from second on a shallow basehit up the middle).

Top of the 9th 1 run game.