SwampMD

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: SwampMD

Post by duff »

I wish I knew where mine comes from. Have had three bad attacks this year alone. Bloodwork came back clear of excess uric acid. No idea why I have been getting it. Right big toe and also right thumb. The thumb is the fucking worst.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

My dad has a chance of getting gout whenever he indulges in red wine or scotch. Not looking forward to that.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:04 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:17 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:56 am Gout! Son-of-a-bitch...

My prescription ran out for allopurinol...and when I put in for the refill, the doc said I needed to come in for a checkup. Unfortunately, I was going out of town for 10 days, so didn't get a refill before I left.

And sure enough, the joint on my right big toe hurts and is stiff and swollen...just nasty stuff.
Weird. I associate gout with old, fat, sedentary guys. Yet, you are this active biker and sailor, and I … haven’t gotten it yet.
It runs in my family. My father gets it bad...
So does my Dad.

I have a prescription of allopurinol, but am afraid to start it. Read that when you start taking it you get a mega-goutbreak. What was your experience?

I take colcicine when the gout flares and resign myself to 2-3 bad days and a couple slightly sore ones after that. My big toe is now arthritic, so I get gout-ish pain quite often. Have an appointment with a rheumatologist in a couple of weeks for further arthritis exams.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt3 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:14 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:04 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:17 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:56 am Gout! Son-of-a-bitch...

My prescription ran out for allopurinol...and when I put in for the refill, the doc said I needed to come in for a checkup. Unfortunately, I was going out of town for 10 days, so didn't get a refill before I left.

And sure enough, the joint on my right big toe hurts and is stiff and swollen...just nasty stuff.
Weird. I associate gout with old, fat, sedentary guys. Yet, you are this active biker and sailor, and I … haven’t gotten it yet.
It runs in my family. My father gets it bad...
So does my Dad.

I have a prescription of allopurinol, but am afraid to start it. Read that when you start taking it you get a mega-goutbreak. What was your experience?
I've been taking allopurinol for almost 20 years now and its really helped. I still tend to get outbreaks, but far less often. I can usually feel them coming on, and I have a prescription of Indomethacin that I take while having a flare up.

And for some reason, drinking cherry juice really helps. No idea why.
I take colcicine when the gout flares and resign myself to 2-3 bad days and a couple slightly sore ones after that.
I've taken colchicine once, about 10 years ago, during a really bad attack, and OH BOY, did it do a number on my gut.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I have the occasional flare-up (but not since August '21 knock on wood) and have some cherry tart tablets to take if I feel one coming on. They've worked!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Cherry juice is something that I forgot about.

It works.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Yeah...the cherry juice thing totally works. Went to store for some last night, and the flareup is much less today.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Y'all gotta hit the Colorado Cherry Store next time you're in Denver. Their stuff is TOPS!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shrimp was a bad choice for dinner last night. The flareup came back STRONG last night.
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Been drinking cherry juice for a week, but gout's back.

Fuck this
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Anyone who has morning congestion due to allergies or whatever should try breathe right strips. I would get so congested during the night and end up mouth breathing, which made things so much worse. Started using the strips and it's been a different ballgame for a couple of days. I wake up clear as something really clear. Shower may loosen some snot up, but that's about it. Been a big deal for my mornings this week. Hope it keeps it up.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:21 am Anyone who has morning congestion due to allergies or whatever should try breathe right strips. I would get so congested during the night and end up mouth breathing, which made things so much worse. Started using the strips and it's been a different ballgame for a couple of days. I wake up clear as something really clear. Shower may loosen some snot up, but that's about it. Been a big deal for my mornings this week. Hope it keeps it up.
I'll have to try this. I was happy to hear that someone else had the same issues I had, but happier to hear it's working for you.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:53 am
A_B wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:21 am Anyone who has morning congestion due to allergies or whatever should try breathe right strips. I would get so congested during the night and end up mouth breathing, which made things so much worse. Started using the strips and it's been a different ballgame for a couple of days. I wake up clear as something really clear. Shower may loosen some snot up, but that's about it. Been a big deal for my mornings this week. Hope it keeps it up.
I'll have to try this. I was happy to hear that someone else had the same issues I had, but happier to hear it's working for you.
It's like $7 for a two month supply so no reason not to give it a whirl!

(The author may receive compensation for any strips purchased.)
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

AB shilling for both big coal and big nasal?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, for a couple days now, I’ve had a persistent dark spot in my field of vision. I messaged my regular doctor, told him the situation and asked for a referral to an ophthalmologist. I figured he’d get back to me after the weekend. Instead he messaged back pretty fast and told me to get my butt to the emergency room to have it checked out. So, we did that, and they ran some tests and eventually told me I probably have another* detached retina. So I’m going in to the surgery center first thing tomorrow morning, with the expectation that I’ll go under anesthesia and get operated on. Fuck.

*I had also had a detached retina in my other eye in 2005. Funny thing - I wasn’t sure how long ago it happened, but I remember I posted about it in the Swamp. So, I searched the Old Skool Swamp and found my old post in October, 2005! Helped me remember a few things about the experience.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, good luck!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good luck and good doctor. I know those things can get seriously fucked up if not treated immediately.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Damn, good luck sancarlos!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

There's a little black spot on the sun today.
It's the same old thing as (2005).

Good luck man. Be like SC and don't be afraid to call the Dr, you guys!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Oh nos

Gonna take you off the Swampcrash as I assume recovery from eye surgery is probably an issue for like doing dumb trivia games
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:07 am Oh nos

Gonna take you off the Swampcrash as I assume recovery from eye surgery is probably an issue for like doing dumb trivia games
Nah, he can have his wife read the questions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:20 am
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:07 am Oh nos

Nah, he can have his wife read the questions.
Fuck no, that's CHEATING! Good luck, SCK, that doesn't sound like fun. Do you have weak retinas or something? I'd ask how a retina becomes detached, but anything eye related freaks me out.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:29 am Be like SC and don't be afraid to call the Dr, you guys!
I feel like this is aimed directly at me. Pulled my calf muscle on Saturday and hobbling around the house. Wife and both kids individually lectured me to go to the doctor. I'm confident in all of my online research and listening to Aaron Rodgers that I don't need to see a doctor. On Saturday, I couldn't even pick up my foot trying to walk, had to step with my left and drag the right behind me. Now I just can't push off with my foot at the back end of the stepping motion. Plus the swelling is mostly gone.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It wasn't! But glad it's getting better!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pulled calf muscles are different than "something stopped working for no good reason"
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:32 am
rass wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:29 am Be like SC and don't be afraid to call the Dr, you guys!
I feel like this is aimed directly at me. Pulled my calf muscle on Saturday and hobbling around the house. Wife and both kids individually lectured me to go to the doctor. I'm confident in all of my online research and listening to Aaron Rodgers that I don't need to see a doctor. On Saturday, I couldn't even pick up my foot trying to walk, had to step with my left and drag the right behind me. Now I just can't push off with my foot at the back end of the stepping motion. Plus the swelling is mostly gone.
I self diagnosed a calf strain and told my doctor about it at a physical a few weeks later. He was annoyed and asked how I knew it wasn't an Achilles injury.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:36 am Pulled calf muscles are different than "something stopped working for no good reason"
Or having a detached retina ; P
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:43 amI self diagnosed a calf strain and told my doctor about it at a physical a few weeks later. He was annoyed and asked how I knew it wasn't an Achilles injury.
Isn't the rule if you have some ability to go on your toes, your achilles is fine? That was the test last year during softball from two people who have blown their out before to a guy on my team who feared it (but only had a partially torn calf muscle).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:45 am
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:36 am Pulled calf muscles are different than "something stopped working for no good reason"
Ha, fully agree with both of you. Rass was the only person I mentioned it to, and seeing him write that after getting lectured twice this morning triggered me. And I did go to the eye doctor when I developed a floating black dot that moves around my line of vision, mostly because SCK mentioned the possibility of a detached retina. Just a "floater" and apparently most people get them, and while they can be reduced with laser surgery, it's a high rate of risk of doing permanent damage, so fuck that.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:43 pm So, for a couple days now, I’ve had a persistent dark spot in my field of vision. I messaged my regular doctor, told him the situation and asked for a referral to an ophthalmologist. I figured he’d get back to me after the weekend. Instead he messaged back pretty fast and told me to get my butt to the emergency room to have it checked out. So, we did that, and they ran some tests and eventually told me I probably have another* detached retina. So I’m going in to the surgery center first thing tomorrow morning, with the expectation that I’ll go under anesthesia and get operated on. Fuck.

*I had also had a detached retina in my other eye in 2005. Funny thing - I wasn’t sure how long ago it happened, but I remember I posted about it in the Swamp. So, I searched the Old Skool Swamp and found my old post in October, 2005! Helped me remember a few things about the experience.
Interesting, one of my coworkers is getting his detached retina fixed today.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:51 am
mister d wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:45 am
Ha, fully agree with both of you. Rass was the only person I mentioned it to, and seeing him write that after getting lectured twice this morning triggered me. And I did go to the eye doctor when I developed a floating black dot that moves around my line of vision, mostly because SCK mentioned the possibility of a detached retina. Just a "floater" and apparently most people get them, and while they can be reduced with laser surgery, it's a high rate of risk of doing permanent damage, so fuck that.
I have one of these and it's annoying sometimes. especially on days where there isn't much color outside. a lack of contrast/a lot of white seems to exacerbate it.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, thanks for all the good thoughts, guys. The ophthalmologist confirmed this morning that I have a twice-torn and a detached retina. But they couldn’t fit me in for surgery today, so that’s happening for sure tomorrow morning.

SL - I’m still up for Swampcrash!

Sybian/Bronto - I did have the darters/floaters, and it got worse the past couple weeks. The doc said almost everybody gets them to some degree as we age. But if you get a spot, blob or other obstruction in your field of vision, as I did, that’s when you gotta get it immediately checked out.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'd rather pluck my achilles like a guitar string than read these last few posts carefully
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Good luck SC.

And sounds like you have a good doctor.
Canadian International
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Quick question...do you guys have to pay full price for follow up visits? Like, I went to the dermatologist last week and they wanted to get me on a medication, but they couldn't give it to me then because they just had to clear it through my insurance. Then my insurance cleared it so they had me come back today just to get the medication and charged me the $40 copay again as if it's a separate office visit. I could be wrong but I could have sworn that's not a thing?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:37 pm Quick question...do you guys have to pay full price for follow up visits? Like, I went to the dermatologist last week and they wanted to get me on a medication, but they couldn't give it to me then because they just had to clear it through my insurance. Then my insurance cleared it so they had me come back today just to get the medication and charged me the $40 copay again as if it's a separate office visit. I could be wrong but I could have sworn that's not a thing?
Unless the physician provided some sort of consultation, then it should not have been an office visit. The doc not writing you a Rx until they get it cleared through your insurance? That's sorta :? cuz what business is it of theirs how you pay for the prescription?
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:42 pm
Jerloma wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:37 pm Quick question...do you guys have to pay full price for follow up visits? Like, I went to the dermatologist last week and they wanted to get me on a medication, but they couldn't give it to me then because they just had to clear it through my insurance. Then my insurance cleared it so they had me come back today just to get the medication and charged me the $40 copay again as if it's a separate office visit. I could be wrong but I could have sworn that's not a thing?
Unless the physician provided some sort of consultation, then it should not have been an office visit. The doc not writing you a Rx until they get it cleared through your insurance? That's sorta :? cuz what business is it of theirs how you pay for the prescription?
Well they gave me the actual drugs. Like a 2 week starter kit and then after that I get the script but still...right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:06 pm
Well they gave me the actual drugs. Like a 2 week starter kit and then after that I get the script but still...right?
Sounds like either a clerical error or a harsh office policy. But IMO, unless you were given some type of consultation (this includes demonstrating how to use any topical ointments, etc), then no. Picking up your Rx should not constitute an office visit.
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:36 pm
Jerloma wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:06 pm
Sounds like either a clerical error or a harsh office policy. But IMO, unless you were given some type of consultation (this includes demonstrating how to use any topical ointments, etc), then no. Picking up your Rx should not constitute an office visit.
I agree 100%. We're fighting this, buddy!

Although, I apparently have a lot of diarrhea to look forward to in the next week, so I'm not sure how that's going to affect my righteous indignation either.
Last edited by Jerloma on Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Go to the office to fight it in person.