2018 NHL Playoffs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Post by Pruitt »

This Gardiner kid for the Leafs is going to be crucified tomorrow.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:32 pm This Gardiner kid for the Leafs is going to be crucified tomorrow.
If they wait til Friday there’s a chance he could be ready for a Sunday game.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Playoff series won since 2005:

Vegas - 1
Toronto - 0
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:01 pm Playoff series won since 2005:

Vegas - 1
Toronto - 0
I'm not really a Leaf fan, don;t watch too much hockey, so I find that stat very funny. But things like that just kill Toronto fans.

ETA: Just looked it up... it's been since 2004!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hence the 2005
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:36 pm
Pruitt wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:32 pm This Gardiner kid for the Leafs is going to be crucified tomorrow.
If they wait til Friday there’s a chance he could be ready for a Sunday game.
Um, this was awesome.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Admittedly, I am the most casual of casual NHL fans, but this feels like the year the Caps finally beat the Penguins, only to get swept by the Lightning after their fans get all excited.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The fucked up thing is that I'm not sure Caps fans would care. The hang up regarding Pitt is a mass mental illness at this point.

=-=-=-=-=

And it has come full circle, as I am going to the game tonight.

Fuck me.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pens are missing two of the top six, including a guy who is no worse than the third best player in the series. You got this.

Though I will say that while the two full days interval between game 1 and 2 is a personal annoyance because I have shit going on Sunday afternoon, it's good for the Pens assuming Malkin and Hagelin really are day to day.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In a shocking development, Gerard Gallant is a finalist for the Jack Adams Trophy. Wonder if he wins it?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:48 am Pens are missing two of the top six, including a guy who is no worse than the third best player in the series. You got this.

Though I will say that while the two full days interval between game 1 and 2 is a personal annoyance because I have shit going on Sunday afternoon, it's good for the Pens assuming Malkin and Hagelin really are day to day.
They clinched without Malkin, but Hagelin (MI MAN!!) being out... those two combined is significant.

I will say this: I alluded to it in my "whoa is me" post, but the pressure on the team the last two years, especially last year, was palpable. A number of players reluctantly said the team was tight. They squeaked by a very young (and fun, tbh) Leafs team and then had to play the second best team (standings-wise) in the conference in the second round due to stupid NHL playoff formatting.

I'm not the only die hard fan to dial it way back this year. TV ratings were down over 7 percent and Russian Machine said in a post today that a number of their "interaction" stats were way down.

There's just a different vibe.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kudos to the Mercury-News for most accurately capturing what the vibe is like at T-Mobile for games.

If any of y'all ever get the chance to go to a game, I do advise trying to get to your seats or at least in the arena for the pre-game warmups a half hour before the game. Does do a great job of getting you pumped up for the game. I think that's one of the secret weapons. They crank everything up to 11.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:14 am There's just a different vibe.
Not being an ass, but how was the vibe (among the fans) between game 2 and 3 of CBJ series?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:14 am There's just a different vibe.
Not being an ass, but how was the vibe (among the fans) between game 2 and 3 of CBJ series?
I don't know, as is chronicled up-thread, I didn't start actually engaging until Game 3 and fully for Game 4.

And I don't feel the least bit bad about it. I've put my damn time in with these fuckers.

What I'm getting at is overall expectations. If there's even a tiny sliver of my "take it down a notch" vibe emanating from this year's team, it manifests itself in not spazzing out after GM2 and then ripping off 4 wins in a row.

I dunno man, you know this is all bullshit nervous chatter. The GM is said to have really focused on the team vibe this year, on the guys having fun.

They also are much better about not just taking shots for shots sake. That was the big takeaway from last year's loss. Yes, you outshot the Pens. But a lot of those shots were very easy to save, no traffic in front, and goalie was straight up to the shot. They are focused now on getting the goalie moving laterally and then shooting. Their numbers seemed down from years past, but there was a method/plan behind it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm tired of seeing a series analyzed for more than a week. This has probably been the closest I'll ever experience to what the build-up to a Super Bowl is like. At a certain point, you can't stop reading the articles, but your eyes glaze over because it just seems like a bunch of nonsense*. Maybe just as well I was out of the country until Sunday.

*Statistical analysis, while valid, still isn't worth a whole lot in what is essentially still a small sample size of up to 7 games. And in the case of this San Jose-Vegas series seems to mostly be a bunch of "well, both teams are pretty much completely evenly matched so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:32 pm I'm tired of seeing a series analyzed for more than a week. This has probably been the closest I'll ever experience to what the build-up to a Super Bowl is like. At a certain point, you can't stop reading the articles, but your eyes glaze over because it just seems like a bunch of nonsense*. Maybe just as well I was out of the country until Sunday.

*Statistical analysis, while valid, still isn't worth a whole lot in what is essentially still a small sample size of up to 7 games. And in the case of this San Jose-Vegas series seems to mostly be a bunch of "well, both teams are pretty much completely evenly matched so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't know if the teams are evenly matched (I think Vegas has to be fairly heavily favored), but I do think they play somewhat similar styles - Quick skating, hard forecheck, look to score on the rush, strong goaltending. And in both teams' cases in the first round, that style dominated slower, big-hitting, "heavier"-style teams.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 pm
brian wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:32 pm I'm tired of seeing a series analyzed for more than a week. This has probably been the closest I'll ever experience to what the build-up to a Super Bowl is like. At a certain point, you can't stop reading the articles, but your eyes glaze over because it just seems like a bunch of nonsense*. Maybe just as well I was out of the country until Sunday.

I don't know if the teams are evenly matched (I think Vegas has to be fairly heavily favored), but I do think they play somewhat similar styles - Quick skating, hard forecheck, look to score on the rush, strong goaltending. And in both teams' cases in the first round, that style dominated slower, big-hitting, "heavier"-style teams.
Series line is only -135/+115 and that's probably inflated by about 10 bucks since the books out here have realized people are going to be on Vegas usually regardless of the line (it took them more than half the year to learn that though). I think it's legitimately pretty even. Yes, both teams play a similar style and that should make for a fun series, but if you go down the lines and D pairings, there's not really much of an advantage to be seen for either team I don't think. Could come down to home-ice advantage.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:24 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Series line is only -135/+115 and that's probably inflated by about 10 bucks since the books out here have realized people are going to be on Vegas usually regardless of the line (it took them more than half the year to learn that though). I think it's legitimately pretty even. Yes, both teams play a similar style and that should make for a fun series, but if you go down the lines and D pairings, there's not really much of an advantage to be seen for either team I don't think. Could come down to home-ice advantage.
I think Vegas excels at this style of play which is why I don't think San jose can win this series. To come into T-Mobile and try to run up and down the ice is close to a sports suicide mission. I feared the Kings and were it not for MAF, that series could have easily gone six or seven. That combination of strength and skill (a la Nash and Bos) will be what undoes this run, not a team that tries to out-Vegas Vegas.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I squealed when the dude who is trying to replace MAF made that save. If you watched, you know the one. Squeeeeeeeled.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:45 pm I squealed when the dude who is trying to replace MAF made that save. If you watched, you know the one. Squeeeeeeeled.
He's got promise. Might win a Cup someday.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jeez...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:45 pm I squealed when the dude who is trying to replace MAF made that save. If you watched, you know the one. Squeeeeeeeled.
Pretty happy with our guy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Officiating in this game leaves something to be desired though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sharks gooning it up now.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Talk about shitting the bed. Sheesh...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:00 am Talk about shitting the bed. Sheesh...
At least it’s not total goals like soccer.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Kane for Game 2. Normally I’d say no chance he’s suspended but DOPS seems a lot more serious this postseason
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:21 pm
Pretty happy with our guy.
Hey man, you started it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That sucked.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Being in the arena... The team is fucked, man. Fans were bitching at the team the ENTIRE GAME. Every missed shot was met with "Oh... HERE WE GO AGAIN!"

It's fucking pathetic. I'm not going to another game, free tickets or not. The fan base is just totally out of whack at this point. Not a fun experience, at all.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm picturing you seething for those 24 minutes.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And while I'm on a venting roll here, let me paint a picture:

The ticket hook up I have is with a guy that has access to a VERY nice suite. Don't want to get the guy in trouble, but let's just say the company he works for had a hand in how the suites were laid out, so this particular suite is in a very unique location.

It's in a corner, but it's lined up with the goal, and it is the home end, so you get two cracks at the "good goal."

Anyways, due its location, it is nestled below 3 boxes, but it is also kind of down level with regular seats, but elevated. And the acoustics are such that I could hear a lot of different voices.

And it was awful. It was pretty much non-stop negativity. To be fair, it was a dozen or so drunk guys scattered around, thinking they needed to coach the team/provide color commentary. But it absolutely sucked the life out of the game for me. Why come to a game to bitch at your team the ENTIRE time?? I just don't understand that mentality.

And it was a GOOD GAME... Caps were outplaying them for most of the 2 periods... Not by much, and you could objectively make the case the Pens had better quality chances in the first... But to hear these assholes?

Just an awful fan base at this point.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:10 am Being in the arena... The team is fucked, man. Fans were bitching at the team the ENTIRE GAME. Every missed shot was met with "Oh... HERE WE GO AGAIN!"

It's fucking pathetic. I'm not going to another game, free tickets or not. The fan base is just totally out of whack at this point. Not a fun experience, at all.
Was thinking about you while watching that game before our game. Can not have been a good experience at all. Still, it’s just one game.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(And after that rant I feel bad doing it but I still have to gush about how amazing T-Mobile was last night. It was loud in the regular season but it’s being taken up a huge notch in the playoffs. Only sporting event I’ve been to that’s close was Lions game 16 in 1997 when Barry rushed for 2000 yards & Lions clinched a playoff spot.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:19 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:10 am Being in the arena... The team is fucked, man. Fans were bitching at the team the ENTIRE GAME. Every missed shot was met with "Oh... HERE WE GO AGAIN!"

Was thinking about you while watching that game before our game. Can not have been a good experience at all. Still, it’s just one game.

Likewise... Got a big grin on my face when my daughter reported the score as we were driving home.

Actually, it went like this:

Dude 1: Wow, Vegas is up 3-0 and it's only the second period.

Dude 2: Wow.

Me: Second period? It's only 10:20, game just started...

The Girl: It's 3-0... About 12 minutes left in the first.

Car: Holy Shit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:18 amJust an awful fan base at this point.
Seattle should start with Ovechkin and Lundqvist. Maybe the Sedins too.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Last fan-related bitching from me...

The other thing that pissed me off was half the people in the suite were legitimately more interested in the fucking draft than they were in the live event going on in front of their fucking faces.

For the record, I've said many times that I think following a draft live is top 3 biggest waste of your time on any level. Like, waiting at the DMV to renew your license when it should be able to be done online waste of your life.

Fucking get up the next day and read the list of names, you rube. No offense to anyone here. I don't have a big problem with kind of watching it on TV while you're doing other shit. But attending a draft?? Sitting down and watching it start to finish????

I just don't get that.

So, starting from that as a baseline, to be sitting in this loud as shit arena (Caps fans are still fucking loud when they are winning) and to be turning back and starting at the flat screen or straight up leaving your seats to go watch for half a period?

Fucking ridiculous behavior.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Drafts can be interesting, but watching it while at a Stanley Cup game is insane. Also, the NFL draft is the most bloated sports "event" out there. It makes the Olympics Opening Ceremony feel like a movie trailer.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Man, I love drafts. Like I'll watch the NBA draft but not NBA games.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’d note that fans in suites usually include several casually-interested folks who came solely because it was event and free to them. So, not representative of the average fan in the building.