Jeeves says "EEEEHHHH"--Milwaukee

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Jeeves says "EEEEHHHH"--Milwaukee

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Got a business trip to Milwaukee. Likely will have a chance to get a drink after a work dinner and a big window between a meeting ending at noon and my flight at 6. So lunch spot? Thing to see?
BSF21
The Dude

Re: Jeeves says "EEEEHHHH"--Milwaukee

Post by BSF21 »

Downtown?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Foundation is one of the best tiki bars in the country. If you go, get the Pulau Punch.

Barnacle Bud's is a neat little bar/marina in an industrial part of town. They have really good bar food, too.

Milwaukee Public Market is very cool, and there are several restaurants inside and nearby. We went to Cafe Benelux a few years ago and had a great brunch.

I've never been, but I've heard great things about Carnevor. Supposedly if you're a member, you get your own engraved steak knife. A friend of mine went there with a member, and he got Aaron Rodgers knife assigned to him. Elsa's on the Park is very good, too.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

If you are downtown/in that area:

3rd Ward is very cool to walk around. Lots of bars and shops and old historical buildings. There's a neat market right under the interstate you can putz around in.

Brady street has tons of bars. Hi-Hat Lounge is a favorite of mine. Lots of live music, big patio, good beer selection and prices.

Lakefront Brewing had my favorite tour I've ever been on. They guy who did ours was nothing short of a stand up comic, and it made for a very fun hour. Got lots of free beers for taking it too. Right on the river and a nice patio out back for when you're finished.

Everyone tells me to go to Spy Bar, but I've never been and can't attest to how worth your while it is.

There's some great disc golf courses just outside town :)
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am staying at the Phister. Looks like that is a few blocks from Riverwalk and Cafe Benelux
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:39 am3rd Ward is very cool to walk around. Lots of bars and shops and old historical buildings. There's a neat market right under the interstate you can putz around in.
Yeah, that's the Milwaukee Public Market. Very cool place. And if you go to the Riverwalk, find the Bronze Fonz and get your picture taken with him. The statue is allegedly life size, and if so, Henry Winkler is very, very short.
BSF21 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:39 amEveryone tells me to go to Spy Bar, but I've never been and can't attest to how worth your while it is.
I went to it, and it's OK. The most fun part was trying to get in. If you don't know the password, they make you do something to earn entry. We had to dance and sing. When you make it inside, there are TVs that show you the entry room so you can see other people making fools of themselves. Inside, there are lots of small rooms, and it's very easy to lose your bearings. I remember it took me a while to find the bathroom.

ETA: The Mason Street Grill inside the Pfister has a very good breakfast. When I go to our office in MKE, I stay at The Hotel Metro, which is adjacent to the Pfister, but I always went to Mason Street Grill for breakfast.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sorry
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The Harley-Davidson museum, while the company still exists.

Milwaukee Art Museum. Even if you don't go in to the exhibit area, it's pretty striking.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:03 am Image
so when I searched the swamp to see if we have a visit Milwaukee thread, I did find a thread with this posted in it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:48 am I am staying at the Phister. Looks like that is a few blocks from Riverwalk and Cafe Benelux
The Phister is a very cool old school 'Grand' hotel. My ex-brother-in-law's wedding was there. And its where the out-of-town sports teams stay.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:23 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:48 am I am staying at the Phister. Looks like that is a few blocks from Riverwalk and Cafe Benelux
The Phister is a very cool old school 'Grand' hotel. My ex-brother-in-law's wedding was there. And its where the out-of-town sports teams stay.
No game on Monday when I am there. Was hoping to use my Matt Albers connection for tickets. But Padres are in town Tuesday so may see a few ball players.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

well could have gone to the game tonight...f'ing southworst canceled flights back to B-more. Only good news is had a GREAT dive mexican dive joint right by the airport and the not so super 8 where I am holed up.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Giordanos deep dish chain pizza pretty solid. Get fat like the locals and do not use a blacklight.