Culinary Hot Takes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Culinary Hot Takes

Post by mister d »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm One could live cheaply (relative to other proteins) and without any lack of versatility on salmon and chicken thighs alone. Also, crunchy salmon skin is better than any meat skin.
Made it tonight and assumed I’ve said this before. Salmon skin is the greatest of protein skins.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:28 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:46 pm One could live cheaply (relative to other proteins) and without any lack of versatility on salmon and chicken thighs alone. Also, crunchy salmon skin is better than any meat skin.
Made it tonight and assumed I’ve said this before. Salmon skin is the greatest of protein skins.
I must be doing it wrong because chicken thigh skin is my #1
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Chicken skin is probably my #1, and maybe it's only because it's a rare occurrence, but turkey skin is the bomb.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Don’t mean to threadjack, but a really nice way to start your day is to core out a fresh pineapple and eat a few rings while drinking your coffee.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:55 am Don’t mean to threadjack, but a really nice way to start your day is to core out a fresh pineapple and eat a few rings while drinking your coffee.
I love fresh pineapple.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:37 am
sancarlos wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:55 am Don’t mean to threadjack, but a really nice way to start your day is to core out a fresh pineapple and eat a few rings while drinking your coffee.
I love fresh pineapple.
I think you're still in Florida. Some local Publixes have pineapple cutting stations where you pick a pineapple, put it in the contraption and it cores and removes the rind.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:52 am
A_B wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:37 am
I love fresh pineapple.
I think you're still in Florida. Some local Publixes have pineapple cutting stations where you pick a pineapple, put it in the contraption and it cores and removes the rind.
Wow, maybe Florida isn't such a bad place after all?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

my tongue and lips are already burning
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

worstest of fruit skins
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:10 pm my tongue and lips are already burning
Does this happen to everyone? I love pineapple, but when I eat it fresh, I always have what feels like an allergic reaction. Like a tingling sensation, but more like actually getting pin pricks than just tingling. My daughter gets it, my wife and son don't seem to.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:29 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:10 pm my tongue and lips are already burning
Does this happen to everyone? I love pineapple, but when I eat it fresh, I always have what feels like an allergic reaction. Like a tingling sensation, but more like actually getting pin pricks than just tingling. My daughter gets it, my wife and son don't seem to.
I've definitely had this reaction to pineapple, but I don't always have this reaction to pineapple.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Sounds like oral allergy syndrome: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/d ... y-syndrome

I started having issues with kiwi and raw peas (that one in particular was rough, ate a ton fresh from the garden and had some breathing difficulty shortly after) in my late 30s and early 40s.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

phxgators wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:38 pm
Sounds like oral allergy syndrome: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/d ... y-syndrome

I started having issues with kiwi and raw peas (that one in particular was rough, ate a ton fresh from the garden and had some breathing difficulty shortly after) in my late 30s and early 40s.
Could be. I get it every time from fresh pineapple, but never from canned. OTOH, I haven't had canned in many years and I don't think I had this reaction when I was younger. Whatever it is, it isn't bad enough to stop me from eating pineapple. My wife has a definite allergy to apples that started 5-10 years ago. Her throat gets itchy, goes away pretty quickly. And her mother has a more severe reaction to plums and peaches.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:28 pm
If you ever get a sudden craving Sonny’s sells them by the bag for $2 (assuming they’re for human consumption and not canine).

(But like most other places in the state Sonny’s doesn’t provide plastic bags anymore and when I got caught in multiple rain storms on the way home my backpack and the paper bag containing 2 nice fresh everything bagels got wet and the bagels got ruined and I’m an idiot for not grabbing an extra bag before I left home.)
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nj sucks
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It rains everywhere, and not everywhere has bagels you’d regret not eating. Or if they do, have someplace else where they can be easily replaced.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Anybody ever make smoked fish dip from scratch? I want to make a batch tomorrow for this weekend.

If so, what fish did you use? I'd prefer to use mahi but I'm not going to be able to get it here in MD. What's a decent backup? Trout?

Did you smoke it, or did you use liquid smoke? If so, which one?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:34 pm It rains everywhere, and not everywhere has bagels you’d regret not eating. Or if they do, have someplace else where they can be easily replaced.
Like my house.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:41 pm Anybody ever make smoked fish dip from scratch? I want to make a batch tomorrow for this weekend.

If so, what fish did you use? I'd prefer to use mahi but I'm not going to be able to get it here in MD. What's a decent backup? Trout?

Fish takes well to real smoke I think. I’ve never been a liquid smoke fan though.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:55 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:41 pm Anybody ever make smoked fish dip from scratch? I want to make a batch tomorrow for this weekend.

Fish takes well to real smoke I think. I’ve never been a liquid smoke fan though.
Sorry - I used to have a smoker back when I lived in Tampa. I used to make a smoked fish dip (I would smoke mahi mahi) for tailgates at the Big Sombrero in the early to mid 90s.

What don't you like about liquid smoke?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It's possible i've never used it right, but it seems overly smoky to me no matter how much I use.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same but I always wonder if its mental and I've been tricked dozens of times and loved it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Interesting. I will say that what I’ve read about it they’re pretty upfront when they say to use it sparingly.
Noli Timere Messorem
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Utz’s Mike’s Hot Hobey Chips with a Hacker-Pschorr is a surprisingly pleasing combination.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Rambutan
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:43 pmRambutan
Whoa black Betty!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

So good.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

For a long time I entertained the idea that it was "Biddy" and it was a song about a chicken.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:34 pm For a long time I entertained the idea that it was "Biddy" and it was a song about a chicken.
Black Betty was reworked by a band formed out of the core of the Lemon Pipers (of Green tambourine fame) and then reworked under the Ram Jam featuring only one member.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

And as you no doubt remember, she comes from Birmingham.
Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Way down in Alabam.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Despite the excellent black Betty discussion...Rambutans are creamier and sweeter than lychee, and are often likened to a sweet and slightly tart grape. Lychee is less sweet, crisper, more tart, and has more of a floral note. Texture: The flesh of rambutan is creamier while lychee flesh is crisper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Speaking of lychee. I got an email from WhistlePig that they're releasing a limited edition whiskey to celebrate the Alfa Romeo F1 team.
*PRE-ORDER* Shipping Early November

We're waving the checkered flag on a legendary whiskey taking PiggyBack Rye to race worthy G-Force levels. The Limited Edition PiggyBack Legends Series: Alfa Romeo F1® Team Stake Barrel is a high Rye Whiskey selected by the Alfa Romeo F1® Team Stake drivers, with barrels trialed in their wind tunnel to ensure a thrilling taste in every sip.

This Single Barrel is bottled at 96.77 proof, a nod to Valtteri Bottas’ racing number, 77, and the precision of racing. Inspired by Zhou Guanyu, the first Chinese F1 driver, this Rye Whiskey is finished with lychee and oolong tea. Herbal and floral notes of the oolong tea complement the herbaceous notes of our signature PiggyBack 100% Rye, rounded out with a juicy tropical fruit finish and a touch of spice.

Like Alfa Romeo F1® Team Stake’s signature C43 racing vehicles, trial barrels were tested in the team’s wind tunnel in Switzerland before hitting the track. Select barrels then endured varying levels of G-Forces at the WhistlePig farm and distillery for the finishing touch, accelerating the interaction between the whiskey and the wood, staying true to the physical nature of Formula 1.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:03 pm Speaking of lychee. I got an email from WhistlePig that they're releasing a limited edition whiskey to celebrate the Alfa Romeo F1 team.

We're waving the checkered flag on a legendary whiskey taking PiggyBack Rye to race worthy G-Force levels. The Limited Edition PiggyBack Legends Series: Alfa Romeo F1® Team Stake Barrel is a high Rye Whiskey selected by the Alfa Romeo F1® Team Stake drivers, with barrels trialed in their wind tunnel to ensure a thrilling taste in every sip.

This Single Barrel is bottled at 96.77 proof, a nod to Valtteri Bottas’ racing number, 77, and the precision of racing. Inspired by Zhou Guanyu, the first Chinese F1 driver, this Rye Whiskey is finished with lychee and oolong tea. Herbal and floral notes of the oolong tea complement the herbaceous notes of our signature PiggyBack 100% Rye, rounded out with a juicy tropical fruit finish and a touch of spice.

Like Alfa Romeo F1® Team Stake’s signature C43 racing vehicles, trial barrels were tested in the team’s wind tunnel in Switzerland before hitting the track. Select barrels then endured varying levels of G-Forces at the WhistlePig farm and distillery for the finishing touch, accelerating the interaction between the whiskey and the wood, staying true to the physical nature of Formula 1.
That sounds fantastic! Citgo has me out looking to find some rambutans now.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:07 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:03 pm Speaking of lychee. I got an email from WhistlePig that they're releasing a limited edition whiskey to celebrate the Alfa Romeo F1 team.

Some of their rare / limited editions are like $400. This one is fitty bucks. I'll buy one at that price point.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:11 pm

Some of their rare / limited editions are like $400. This one is fitty bucks. I'll buy one at that price point.
I've been tempted by several of their limited editions (those well under $400), especially the Traeger smoked one. Whistle Pig is expensive, but I always go with another option because the labels on the lower end all say great for mixing, and I usually drink neat. I take the label as a sign not to drink neat, and at $65 a bottle for their low end, I'm not using it as a mixer.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:16 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:11 pm

I've been tempted by several of their limited editions (those well under $400), especially the Traeger smoked one. Whistle Pig is expensive, but I always go with another option because the labels on the lower end all say great for mixing, and I usually drink neat. I take the label as a sign not to drink neat, and at $65 a bottle for their low end, I'm not using it as a mixer.
Their 12 year old world rye is probably my favorite of theirs (I've bought it once, but have been known to order one or two when my local has it behind the bar).

I prefer whiskey over a big cube, but if it's really smooth, like say, a High West's Midwinter Night's Dram, then yeah, neat all the way.
Noli Timere Messorem
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

If people cooked steak and chicken as badly as they cook broccoli and brusselsprouts, we'd be vegetarian. Had this thought this morning, felt like the only right place to put it.

(learning how search and posting works, I'm new here.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I hated cauliflower (and romanesco) my whole life, until my wife served it roasted, with small amounts of garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, thyme, olive oil and shallots or onions. Now I like it, that way!

Still on the fence for broccoli, even if roasted.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

blundercrush wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:50 am If people cooked steak and chicken as badly as they cook broccoli and brusselsprouts, we'd be vegetarian. Had this thought this morning, felt like the only right place to put it.

(learning how search and posting works, I'm new here.)
My dad cooked steak worse than he cooked vegetables so neither my brother or I cared for it until we were adults.