college football offseason

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

college football offseason

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Tough way to have your career end.
http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Sta ... 473837.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shirley
The Dude

Re: college football offseason

Post by Shirley »

Jesus. Wish I hadn't read that. I might skip the bench press today at the gym. I'll have that vision in my head.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Yard of Junk
Maude Lebowski

Post by Yard of Junk »

I guess the vaunted Notre Dame academic program to ensure players stay in school didn't work so well this time.

What a cluster for Kelly though -- He is stuck with Tommy Rees for this year, so will have to change the offense to more of pro-style, drop back passing scheme. Then, Golston says he is coming back for 2014, so he has to change back again if he wants to go back with Golston? Not fun.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Former ACC Rookie of the Year, Former Terp QB, will now be a Former WI Badger. Danny O'Brien apparently is leaving Wisconsin for another school. Went from ACC Starter, to ACC Backup, to Big 10 starter, to Big 10 backup, to Big 10 bench warmer (4th or 5th on depth chart). Rumors have him going to Towson.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Wow. Freedom of Information request about FSU player and Golden Bear Grandkid.
http://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-s ... k-nicklaus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Let's pick a WAY BACK thread for this version of the Swamp for this...

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I like the idea, but I hate Virginia being in the Northeast. They have little connection to most of those schools (other than VT, and MD. Maybe WVU).
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

When this happens, what is going to happen to the other sports? Is there going to be some sort of reconciliation of old leagues? Who kicks off that conversation?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just in general, there's no way schools like MI and OSU are going to allow the B1G to be watered down like that. I mean, unless the collective money is exponentially better with a Super League.

Rex - There is already talk of cleaving off football from all of the other conference-centric sports. It's absolutely ridiculous to have field hockey and soccer teams flying across the country to play USC-UCLA (and vice versa, coming out for a long weekend to play MD and Penn State, or whatever).

Even if no Super League, they are moving in the direction of cordoning off foosball.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rather than using those names for the conferences, you could name them things like, PAC10, Southwest, Big8, Big10, Southeast, Atlantic Coast…
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm trying not to be too parochial, but they have realigned the Pac12 and SEC, while scattering the B1G to the winds. I just don't see that being how things land.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Vanderbilt should go away.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:57 pm I'm trying not to be too parochial, but they have realigned the Pac12 and SEC, while scattering the B1G to the winds. I just don't see that being how things land.
Those are ten-team conferences, so it would be easy enough just to re-create the old Big10.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:41 pm Rex - There is already talk of cleaving off football from all of the other conference-centric sports. It's absolutely ridiculous to have field hockey and soccer teams flying across the country to play USC-UCLA (and vice versa, coming out for a long weekend to play MD and Penn State, or whatever).
Didn't Cameron Brink, the WBB from Stanford recently say that a big part of why she left school for the WNBA was because of Stanford joining the ACC and the travel that would require?

Note: Yes...found it:
Cameron Brink announced in March that she would forego her final season at Stanford and enter the 2024 WNBA Draft. On Friday, she was a guest on The Bird and Taurasi Show, an alternate broadcast of the Final Four matchup between South Carolina and North Carolina State. While there, Brink opened up about her decision. Among the reasons cited was the added travel that will come with Stanford’s move to the ACC.

“I think the biggest thing was I kind of felt like I had a lot of gaps to fill in,” she said. “But, you know, I feel I can still learn as a rookie and being a rookie, there is a learning curve. So, I’m looking forward to just giving myself grace and accepting that it will be a building year for me. So, I think I’m kind of tired of school. Stanford is no joke. So, as much as I love my coaching staff and my teammates, I don’t want to travel across the country.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 pm Vanderbilt should go away.
That's a really good point. Not sure why a team/program that hasn't been above 500 in a gazillion years in their conference should just get an autobid to the big league. (don't fact check me)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:57 pm I'm trying not to be too parochial, but they have realigned the Pac12 and SEC, while scattering the B1G to the winds. I just don't see that being how things land.
They put 7 of the 10 Big *Ten* schools together.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I like how the teams that get promoted and relegated will pay multiples of travel expenses over the course of a season than the established, big money school.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

So, as much as I love my coaching staff and my teammates, I don’t want to travel across the country.”
Someone didn't read the WNBA telecommuting policy
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 am I like how the teams that get promoted and relegated will pay multiples of travel expenses over the course of a season than the established, big money school.
Also what’s the point if the “top 70” schools can’t get relegated? The “underclass” division is just constantly fighting for scraps then
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:29 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 am I like how the teams that get promoted and relegated will pay multiples of travel expenses over the course of a season than the established, big money school.
Also what’s the point if the “top 70” schools can’t get relegated? The “underclass” division is just constantly fighting for scraps then
Good points by both of you. These aspects of the plan blow goats
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:08 am
So, as much as I love my coaching staff and my teammates, I don’t want to travel across the country.”
Well, presumably she won't have to also take Stanford level college classes in season.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ryan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:08 am
I think the point was about trying to keep up with Stanford academics while travelling to Syracuse for a Tuesday night game.