Swamp Kids in College Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Swamp Kids in College Thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:06 am Congrats, Dave!
Thanks Mate! Another 4 years of trips to Spokane, and afternoons/evenings at the No-Li brewery.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah congrats. Hopefully both at the same place is good for them and you
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Doesn't she follow college basketball "experts" on Twitter? Gonzaga's for losers!

(congrats to her!)
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Congrats!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Congrats Dave Hope she can eloquently describe the fact that being challenged during the regular season gives the opponents an advantage in the tournament by parent's weekend.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Cap & Gown and diploma frames ordered. For the oldest and myself!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:50 am Cap & Gown and diploma frames ordered. For the oldest and myself!
That's awesome, double congrats!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit yeah, that's great AB
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Is that the kid in Boston? Weird measuring time in terms of kids youve never met but damn time flies.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:35 pm Is that the kid in Boston? Weird measuring time in terms of kids youve never met but damn time flies.
That's the one. And however fast you think it was, I promise I thought it was faster!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Congrats on both, AB.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Nice work AB and daughter of AB!

Pour a nice bourbon and Ale 81 to celebrate!

(I keed)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:50 am Cap & Gown and diploma frames ordered. For the oldest and myself!
A double graduation party at AB's house!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good on ya, AB!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:54 pm Nice work AB and daughter of AB!

Pour a nice bourbon and Ale 81 to celebrate!

(I keed)
Oh I will. I’m not all the way off I’m just 97 percent off!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Bond. Graduates Bond.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Way to go Bonds!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:49 pm The other thing is that here in MoCo, there's at least a 5 mph leeway given. Which is why it drives me NUTS when people slam on the brakes and go 20 mph when the speed limit is 35. FFS.
Guess running a red light before they changed from Kentucky to DC plates doesn't have leeway? Jesus what a racket. $150. Stacks on stacks.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DC is constantly augmenting revenue with ticketing. They are ruthless with parking tickets.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

My youngest starts college classes in 25 minutes. I have been an absolute nervous wreck. For no good reason. He sure seems to be ready to go. They had some get to know campus things this past weekend, and he only has four classes. Three of which are in the same building and only goes on MWF. He's ready, I think with me finishing up my MBA (All work done, just one more "mandatory" class Wednesday) and this being a lot different than both high school and my oldest's experience (also they are two very different kids) and the anxiety shit I already told you about several weeks ago, just been tough.

As usual, the kids are all right, but Dad's a mess.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:36 am My youngest starts college classes in 25 minutes. I have been an absolute nervous wreck. For no good reason. He sure seems to be ready to go. They had some get to know campus things this past weekend, and he only has four classes. Three of which are in the same building and only goes on MWF. He's ready, I think with me finishing up my MBA (All work done, just one more "mandatory" class Wednesday) and this being a lot different than both high school and my oldest's experience (also they are two very different kids) and the anxiety shit I already told you about several weeks ago, just been tough.

You got this, Aaron.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

You don't need me to tell you he's a badass who's gonna kickass. Give him my best!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:36 am My youngest starts college classes in 25 minutes. I have been an absolute nervous wreck. For no good reason. He sure seems to be ready to go. They had some get to know campus things this past weekend, and he only has four classes. Three of which are in the same building and only goes on MWF. He's ready, I think with me finishing up my MBA (All work done, just one more "mandatory" class Wednesday) and this being a lot different than both high school and my oldest's experience (also they are two very different kids) and the anxiety shit I already told you about several weeks ago, just been tough.

This ought to cheer you up.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jeebus, AB. It’s gonna be alright!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Hey, so for the time being it looks like I will be out of posting updates on this thread. Long story short, some medical issues and general malaise towards the college experience weren't the right time for the youngest. So he has withdrawn for this semester and will have to take the spring off anyway for surgery recovery (recovery only a month, but no real way to make it work with the type of recovery - nothing major health-wise but major for his psyche.) So we will regroup and figure things out next spring.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Give him my best!
Pruitt3
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Pruitt3 »

Good luck - sometimes it takes a while to find the right place for a kid.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, gotta be patient, right? All the best wishes, AB.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:26 am Hey, so for the time being it looks like I will be out of posting updates on this thread. Long story short, some medical issues and general malaise towards the college experience weren't the right time for the youngest. So he has withdrawn for this semester and will have to take the spring off anyway for surgery recovery (recovery only a month, but no real way to make it work with the type of recovery - nothing major health-wise but major for his psyche.) So we will regroup and figure things out next spring.
I haven't really talked about it here, but my daughter is "taking a break" from Denver to get some mental health issues sorted. She just shifted (kind of graduated?) from the more intensive group setting to just going in a few days a week. The next thing we'd like her to do is find a part time job: a) she needs some structure and a reason to get out of her apartment and b) we are literally not able to just pay her rent without the financial aid that comes from going to college.

Anyways, just a long-winded way to say... Lots of different paths and it's all about patience and support... As you know.

(The Boy is thriving at the brewery operations program at Metro State... Probably about another 2 or 3 semesters to go and he's picked up a part time job at the brewery on campus. So... That's a nice turnaround after crashing out at Northeastern some years back.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yeah, I can't remember if I posted this above, but my 19yo daughter withdrew halfway through second semester last spring - after withdrawing from most of her first semester classes too.

It's not really for her - her ACT score was low enough that we should've known that she wouldn't do well unless she was really motivated, and she was not motivated.

She ended up working at a ski rental place at Park City Mountain Resort, which required her to get up nearly every day at 6:30 am and drive up there. And she never missed a day. With that motivation and work ethic, I'm confident she'll end up okay once she figures out what she really wants to do. In the meantime she's making enough money to get by, and she's eagerly waiting for the resort to reopen so she can get back up there.

My son just started a year* abroad in Heidelberg. (* - Given his emotional issues if he makes it all the way through one semester, I'll take it as a glorious victory.) Just to increase the degree of difficulty, he broke his arm riding an electric scooter three weeks ago, spent four days in the hospital (where hardly anyone spoke English), and now has to wear a cast and walk around with a bolt sticking out of his arm for six weeks.

Most importantly, he got his season ticket for TSG 1899 Hoffenheim and watched them beat Schalke in the DFB Bokal 5-1 yesterday.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kids picked up some really nice Elon and UNCG sweats while doing tours last week. Any advice as to how to avoid throwing money in a hole is appreciated... I will not be deterred from my 55 retirement and move to NC.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, I made a rule with The Boy after his first two tours brought back William & Mary and American University sweatshirts...

No more fucking sweatshirts until you commit to that school. Geesh.

The girl never had a chance, no sweatshirts, dammit!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

solid advice there. but i really dig the sweats. nada mas
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Each in their own time.

*Remind me of this sage advice when I'm freaking out about mine in a few years.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:01 pm Each in their own time.

*Remind me of this sage advice when I'm freaking out about mine in a few years.
Here's what I really wish we'd done differently with the girl... If it's just not working out -- they are dropping classes over and over again, then they aren't doing well in all but maybe one class?

Pull them out of there on a medical leave and REALLY get to the bottom of what's going on. We wasted at least 2 years and TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars on trying to just push her through the academic process. Huge waste of time and money, and more importantly, it just made her health deteriorate. Looking back, I have a lot of regret about all of it, but mostly that she was suffering.. and not in that character building kind of way many of us gutted it out in college.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Oldest daughter has picked up a couple of sweatshirts from a few of her visits. Purdue is the front runner and the Ball State was just because mom and dad went there. Mailings are starting to pick up with the start of the junior year. Hopefully her grades keep up (AP Chemistry is kicking her ass). She is checking many of the boxes that all the experts say incoming students need to do. Part-time job, check. Extra curriculars, check. Advanced classes, check. Now just need these schools to show me the money.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

One thing we learned (too late). Got to get the kid to go to the school’s website and “show interest” (especially if it’s a school the kid really prefers). Seems to really help with getting accepted.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Interesting to read about the different paths. My oldest, who's on the spectrum, is in his fourth year at Swarthmore. It's taken a lot of parental support and a lot of visits up there to keep him on track. We figured out in his second year that we need to physically see him about every 3 weeks. Covid really threw off his college momentum, I think. Remote classes don't work for him.

But he's been slowly getting stronger and more capable. He started as a physics major but over the years realized that he really loves ancient history, so we've been reworking his plans. Now he's gonna take a 5th year ($$$) and move physics to a minor. It took him a bit to get used to the idea of doing another year, but consider that we were about to yank him out a few times in previous years, I think it's definitely the right move. He really wants to stick with ancient history for his career (be a professor), and that's not a field with a lot of job openings. Gotta get that undergrad degree right so that the grad school is also right.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I interview kids for my school. While the alumni interview process is not a big factor, the school is looking to understand 1.) Where is this school in the kid's interest list. Top choice, a good potential, maybe, or just applying. 2.) How much does the kid know about the school. Probably a big factor into 1. 3.) How will they contribute to the campus community.

Guess they figure the rest is coming from grades, essays, test scores and such.

My son is starting the college planning steps now. Only a Sophomore, so there is time but the schools and programs that he is interested in admit a good chunk of the students via early admissions. Our goal is to narrow the list right now and see what items are most important to him. Geography, size, programs offered (likes international politics), maybe rowing. Grades are through the roof so encouraging him to consider all types but find a a great fit.

Liked UVA more than Duke. Liked JHU more than Duke. Liked Georgetown but not George Washington. Likes W&L's campus but worried it is a bit too much of a small town (and no rowing and only a politics major). Will be checking out a variety of schools in Boston this weekend (Racing the Head of the Charles). Probably hit Philadelphia schools/suburbs of Philly as part of a race next weekend and do Pittsburgh in the next couple of months.

Really just hope to get some parameters for him to really narrow the list to a set to focus on and eliminate.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:35 pmLiked UVA more than Duke. Liked JHU more than Duke. Liked Georgetown but not George Washington. Likes W&L's campus but worried it is a bit too much of a small town (and no rowing and only a politics major). Will be checking out a variety of schools in Boston this weekend (Racing the Head of the Charles). Probably hit Philadelphia schools/suburbs of Philly as part of a race next weekend and do Pittsburgh in the next couple of months.
There are only rare instances where I regret living out here in the big blank space between the west and the midwest. But college choice is a definite negative. Other than community colleges, there are basically only four or five colleges within 300 miles of us, and only a handful more within 650 miles.

Edit: And the most obvious choice is only a few miles from our house, so going there doesn't feel like "going to college" at all. It's just "taking classes at the U."