A New Brushes with thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: A New Brushes with thread

Post by The Sybian »

AB_skin_test wrote:
rass wrote:I discovered via a Christmas Eve conversation that my wife's sister's sister-in-law's sister-in-law bagged Steve Guttenberg.
Does that mean your wife banged Gutenberg?
He isn't from Kentucky.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:
rass wrote:I discovered via a Christmas Eve conversation that my wife's sister's sister-in-law's sister-in-law bagged Steve Guttenberg.
Does that mean your wife banged Gutenberg?
He isn't from Kentucky.
Is he related to Gutenberg?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BTTG
Jackie Treehorn

Post by BTTG »

Having lived my entire post-university life in New York or London, Brushes are pretty frequent and most don't warrant mention. However, I think the one I had a few weeks ago ranks as my favourite. A bit of background: for reasons that are still unclear to me, pantomime is a massive thing in Britain and,every Christmastime, thousands of parents will take the little kiddies to one iteration or another. Because the shows are such an ingrained tradition and tickets run from £10 to £40, they are cash cows that can actually attract quite a lot of B- and C-list TV actors willing to do six weeks of pretty easy stage work for a good payout.

So, the weekend after Thanksgiving, my wife's family and I went to the pub for a Sunday roast (a much more comprehensible British tradition). Seated at the table across from us, ordering a turkey roast with lots of stuffing, was...

The Fonz. Chuck Lumley. Barry Zuckerkorn. And, apparently, Captain Hook. Doing a bit of digging afterwards, it seems Henry Winkler comes to the UK to do these shows almost every year and this year, he's at a theatre about half a mile from us. A week after spending two hours trying not to go over to his table and say 'Ayyyyyyy!', we were driving down the main road of what is still a pretty small community on the fringes of London, talking about how weird it was that the Fonz was effectively our neighbour for two months. It was right then that we passed him walking down the street, on his way to a Saturday matinee. This BBC reporter was equally caught off-guard.

I've run into the entire Arsenal squad the same night I used my years of experience to spot an internet p*rn model at a hotel bar, but I don't think anything will top that for sheer, unexpected greatness.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Had a ten minute conversation with Phil Esposito about my third son's birth.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Lou Piniella was definitely at the same restaurant as me for lunch today. He may have been dining with Mike Francesa, I couldn't tell for sure. Would Francesa be in town already for Yankees pitchers and catchers?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

govmentchedda wrote:Lou Piniella was definitely at the same restaurant as me for lunch today. He may have been dining with Mike Francesa, I couldn't tell for sure. Would Francesa be in town already for Yankees pitchers and catchers?
Probably: http://www.springtrainingonline.com/reporting-dates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He's on the radio up here today. Sorry man, just Lou is cool enough, right?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I saw Zydrunas Ilgauskas in baggage claim at the Cleveland airport. It looked like he was picking up his parents, who I assume came to town for his Cavs jersey retirement ceremony on March 8.

He's pretty damn tall.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Don Cherry was on my flight from Vancouver to Toronto yesterday. He was wearing a suit he would describe as "muted", yet I would not be caught dead in it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ran past two guys in what looked to be official Sabres gear during my lunchtime jog. I assume the team is already in town for Thursday's game. Would anyone recognize two Sabres in the wild?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The receptionist/admin assistant in my NYC office is a former Celtic dancer. Apparently they had a reality show during the time she was on the team, and was a featured character. Not sure if character is the right word, but probably is for most reality shows, right? Anywho, she is actually a lot cuter when her makeup gun isn't set to whore, as it is in this picture. She seems like a really cool girl, too.

-Pruitt
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

govmentchedda wrote:Ran past two guys in what looked to be official Sabres gear during my lunchtime jog. I assume the team is already in town for Thursday's game. Would anyone recognize two Sabres in the wild?
Probably? They're there, had the day off today.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Milt Thompson in a Wilmington, DE parking lot. He owns a massive pickup truck.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
howard
Karl Hungus

Who The Fuck Is This???

Post by howard »

and I don't mean milt thomson, phillies outfielder in the 80s.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hmmm, I'm retty sure I selled it right.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Who The Fuck Is This???

Post by howard »

I mean, who the fuck is this mister d cat?

They say that cat D is a bad mutha…

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

He's a complicated man. No one understands him but his wo-man.

Also, won't cop out, sex machine, risks his neck. Sounds okay, all in all.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Hmmm, I'm retty sure I selled it right.
First, welcome back! I don't get it, and Google was no help.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I saw Gary Quesenberry at a Barnes and Noble book store this weekend.

For those who have no idea who Gary Quesenberry is, he was a contestant on season three and season five of Top Shot, a shooting competition show on the History Channel.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Commissioner Goodell, strolling up Park Ave a few blocks north of the league office, on his cell phone. Life is out here, buddy!

I've probably seen half of the famous people I've brushed on this same one-mile stretch.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I saw Syb. He was walking on the street with his family and we were driving back from the beach. I considered yelling but that's a really strange way to meet for the first time. His shirt was white.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Creep.

We came back for the shore today, too. Back in late winter, spending a couple of nights down there at the beginning of summer/end of the school year seemed like a great idea, but coming home after only a day and a half, even with a short week this week, suuucked.

ETA: at some point "the beach" got beaten out of me and I call it "the shore" without as much as a twitch these days. Fucking Jersey.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I saw Syb. He was walking on the street with his family and we were driving back from the beach. I considered yelling but that's a really strange way to meet for the first time. His shirt was white.

Funny, I was looking for you at the street fair since you said you stopped by last year. I was sporting my US soccer jersey. Sorry Bensell, this one fit.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It will be the beach for as long as I can hold out. Long Branch, just there for like 4 hours so basically a half day trip but not that bad for an hour drive. Second time we've done it.

Syb ... how bad was that street fair? There was one booth that made a cute kid necklaces but almost every other one was food or sadness.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:It will be the beach for as long as I can hold out. Long Branch, just there for like 4 hours so basically a half day trip but not that bad for an hour drive. Second time we've done it.

Syb ... how bad was that street fair? There was one booth that made a cute kid necklaces but almost every other one was food or sadness.
Don't forget the scary old man in a filthy 40 year old WWII Vet hat throwing a ball on an elastic string at kids. I laughed because it startled my daughter. Then it just became sad as he did it all day. Street fairs are always lame, but that was worse than most. The food at the BBQ truck wasn't even good, and I was pissed that I missed the Empanada truck. It took us 3 times as long to walk there than it took for us to leave. And let me tell you how much fun it was to walk uphill for another 1.5 miles or so with 2 overheated kids.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I didn't see him. Sounds like a dick.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

He thought it was funny, judging from his toothless grin.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:I was sporting my US soccer jersey.
At least the "Russian hockey" jersey is recognizable. The white one (sans # at least) is clearly indistinguishable from any white polo.

mister d wrote:It will be the beach for as long as I can hold out. Long Branch, just there for like 4 hours so basically a half day trip but not that bad for an hour drive. Second time we've done it.
A couple of summers back, when the kids were still regularly getting up well before 6AM, we would go down there every so often on Saturday mornings. For us it is less than 45 minutes from driveway to sand. We would get down there, park for free on the street, get a couple of hours in before they started checking for badges, and then drive home late morning laughing at the suckers stuck in traffic in the southbound lanes.
howard
Karl Hungus

Near Miss

Post by howard »

I'm in LAX, southwest terminal, waiting to board my flight at gate 14. at gate 12, they just announced a final boarding call, and named a couple of passengers who had yet to board. one was Chris Wondololski.

he is about to miss his plane. it looks wide open too.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Missing it high and to the right.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Marquis Grissom showed up at my nephew's baseball practice to help coach. No idea why. These kids are 6 and 7 years old, but it is a competitive travel league. My sister posted some pictures, and man does Grissom look old.

Just did a quick Wiki search, and it says he sponsors 6 little league teams. Maybe my nephew plays on one of them.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's awesome. I was a huge Grissom fan back in the day.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Went to Portland over the weekend and was sitting in a bar watching the Oregon State game and realized Caleb Porter was sitting a few tables down. Went and congratulated him on the ass-kicking they handed Vancouver earlier in the day. And then the next evening I was going through security at the airport and Bill Walton and his tiny asian wife were like 3 people ahead of me.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gonna be hanging with Bob Mould for a little while before his show tomorrow. Didn't even have to ask as my friend Mike (who you might remember me mentioning worked with him at WCW) remembered me telling him what a big fan I was a couple of years ago. Going to try not to act like a blithering idiot.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:Gonna be hanging with Bob Mould for a little while before his show tomorrow. Didn't even have to ask as my friend Mike (who you might remember me mentioning worked with him at WCW) remembered me telling him what a big fan I was a couple of years ago. Going to try not to act like a blithering idiot.
That's pretty cool. I remember you saying you were a big fan.

That said, I think it'd be funny if he hit on you.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:Gonna be hanging with Bob Mould for a little while before his show tomorrow. Didn't even have to ask as my friend Mike (who you might remember me mentioning worked with him at WCW) remembered me telling him what a big fan I was a couple of years ago. Going to try not to act like a blithering idiot.
That's pretty cool. I remember you saying you were a big fan.

That said, I think it'd be funny if he hit on you.
I'd have to at least consider it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I doubt I'm his type though :-(
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I was a blithering idiot at Blitzen Trapper, but not because I was star-struck...
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Little old for Make a Wish, no?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I saw Chris Evert during lunch at The Liberty restaurant in Charlotte, NC today.