A New Brushes with thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: A New Brushes with thread

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote:I saw Chris Evert during lunch at The Liberty restaurant in Charlotte, NC today.

Did you call her Jim?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Chatted with Chris Hoiles today. Nice guy.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Tom Wopat
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote:Tom Wopat
I hop he was driving the new charger hellcat painted like the geneal lee.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So seeing Ronde Barber possibly or possibly not having a tryst in a Scottsdale eatery was not my only brush this weekend. Was at the Lucero concert in Los Angeles Monday night and who walks in and stands in front of me but Mark Boone Junior (possibly best known as Bobby from Sons of Anarchy). He proceeded to get quite lit and was having a fun time dancing with some ladies for the last few songs of the set. (Much like the rest of the crowd at the show. So he's obviously not some kind of fake Lucero fan.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote:So seeing Ronde Barber possibly or possibly not having a tryst in a Scottsdale eatery was not my only brush this weekend. Was at the Lucero concert in Los Angeles Monday night and who walks in and stands in front of me but Mark Boone Junior (possibly best known as Bobby from Sons of Anarchy). He proceeded to get quite lit and was having a fun time dancing with some ladies for the last few songs of the set. (Much like the rest of the crowd at the show. So he's obviously not some kind of fake Lucero fan.)
So I have watched Sons and for the last few episodes they have filled the back end of a 2 hour block with a really poorly done live afterwards show. I thought he was loaded or high on live TV. Turned the after show into a complete train wreck. It was great. Watching Mark Boone Junior on that after show gives me a picture in my head of how he would be at a concert....
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
brian wrote:So seeing Ronde Barber possibly or possibly not having a tryst in a Scottsdale eatery was not my only brush this weekend. Was at the Lucero concert in Los Angeles Monday night and who walks in and stands in front of me but Mark Boone Junior (possibly best known as Bobby from Sons of Anarchy). He proceeded to get quite lit and was having a fun time dancing with some ladies for the last few songs of the set. (Much like the rest of the crowd at the show. So he's obviously not some kind of fake Lucero fan.)
So I have watched Sons and for the last few episodes they have filled the back end of a 2 hour block with a really poorly done live afterwards show. I thought he was loaded or high on live TV. Turned the after show into a complete train wreck. It was great. Watching Mark Boone Junior on that after show gives me a picture in my head of how he would be at a concert....
I didn't see that aftershow (my DVD is all weird about recording Sons now because of it because for some reason FX isn't making it a separate show like AMC does for Talking Dead, but whatevs), but I can imagine and I can tell you that he was probably carrying himself about exactly as you are thinking. He was very garrulous, but not loud and obviously having a good time. Seems like he would be a great guy to party with.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
That was so uncomfortable.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I met Chibs at Comic Con a couple weeks ago.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jerloma wrote:I met Chibs at Comic Con a couple weeks ago.
From Afterwords last week,...
Charlie Hunnam was in a swamp favorite movie...Green Street Hooligans. He tried to get the guy who played Chibs on the movie by going to the bar he hung out at ever night until he showed up. Something clearly happened that caused Chibs to not be on the movie which was not said during the interview.

Equally awkward tv on the aftershow.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Comic Con was a mess because they oversold by like 5000 tickets and the fire marshal had to close the convention center. Chibs went outside to have a cigarette and they wouldn't let him back in.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Two brushes - one awesome but second hand, and the other first hand but perfectly mediocre.

My friend turned 50 last week. For his birthday, his wife arranged for Vin Scully to call him.

And I just had a haircut next to Enes Kanter of the Jazz. Who scored an awesomely nondescript 12 points in last night's game.

Edit: I've been insanely busy at work for weeks. I hope you all are doing well.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Two brushes - one awesome but second hand, and the other first hand but perfectly mediocre.

My friend turned 50 last week. For his birthday, his wife arranged for Vin Scully to call him.

And I just had a haircut next to Enes Kanter of the Jazz. Who scored an awesomely nondescript 12 points in last night's game.

Wondered where you were.

Nice things are being said about the Cubs.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I was gonna dig up this thread, but Steve beat me to it.

I went to my son's middle school basketball game tonight. I had a meeting, so I got there a bit late. About 15 minutes after I got there, another fan showed up late - Coach K. He sat about 5 feet from me. Apparently his grandson is on the team that beat the hell out of my son's team.

Say what you will about the guy, but I was pretty impressed that he found time to attend his grandson's game at this time of year. You know he's busy as hell.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote:My friend turned 50 last week. For his birthday, his wife arranged for Vin Scully to call him.
What an awesome birthday gift! Is there a story, here? How did she swing that?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:My friend turned 50 last week. For his birthday, his wife arranged for Vin Scully to call him.
What an awesome birthday gift! Is there a story, here? How did she swing that?
His friend is yasiel puig. Fuck birth certificates.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Two brushes - one awesome but second hand, and the other first hand but perfectly mediocre.

Did you ask Enes if his wallet felt lighter after he was fined $25k for giving a fan a mouthguard souvenir?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is a near brush, not a brush. When I was at Tired Hands (Ardmore, PA) the other day, one of owners/managers went up to a bartender with two pint glasses and said "these are for John Spencer of the John Spencer Blues Explosion ... if he really does stop in" and they both seemed kind of incredulous but not quite doubting it*. Not sure if he did.

* I think the story is one of the owners is friends with Will Oldham, so another musical connection isn't really all that unrealistic.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think I saw the Czar of the Telestrator at lunch. That must mean that I win.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Not really a brush, more like a third degree of separation. I just found out that the daughter of an old friend of mine is married to NBA player Channing Frye.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Victor Hedman last night at the local sushi place.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Scratches: Hedman (food poisoning)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:Scratches: Hedman (food poisoning)
I wouldn't have noticed him, except all of the sushi chefs gave him a big hello when he walked in the door. I turned to look, and he was out shortly thereafter to eat his sushi at home. He's quite dreamy.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Saw Troy Aikman running down the street in Dallas the other day. Made my wife's day to get that pic, sadly.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote:Saw Troy Aikman running down the street in Dallas the other day. Made my wife's day to get that ...d...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I think he's in her top 5, so she could've had her chance!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:I think he's in her top 5, so she could've had her chance!
You had a better shot at getting Aikman.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote:
Giff wrote:I think he's in her top 5, so she could've had her chance!
You had a better shot at getting Aikman.
She hates those jokes so bad. It was the day of game 4 of the Rockets/Mavs series and this was right at American Airlines Center, so I told her "I think he heard Beard was at AAC and ran down there as fast as he could."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Saw Barles Charkley today. Not for the first time, either. I gotta hand it to the guy--when he is in town for the studio show he actually hangs out on the streets and mingles with the general public. It's exactly what you would imagine.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Tom Brady's agent, when he was a teenager, was batboy for the Sacramento AAA team. My legion team played a game prior to one of their games.

That give me four people I've brushed who have been in the national news in recent weeks (Vitali Klitschko, Mayor of Kiev; Ben Carson, presidential candidate; Yanis Varofakis, Greece Finance Minister.) I'm on a roll.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Apparently Phil Villapiano was here in the office yesterday.

He stopped to make fun of someone with Jets paraphernalia hanging in his cube.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A little MACtion on a Friday. Nice.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Last week I met my wife for a late lunch and who should come into the mainly empty sushi place but Shania Twain.

Track suit, baseball hat with a woman who looked like an older relative. Not smokin' hot like a decade ago, but a truly gorgeous middle aged woman.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I forgot to mention this one ... I'm 97% sure I walked past Ted's cute, dead wife from How I Met Your Mother a month or two ago in Hell Kitchen.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote:Last week I met my wife for a late lunch and who should come into the mainly empty sushi place but Shania Twain.

Track suit, baseball hat with a woman who looked like an older relative. Not smokin' hot like a decade ago, but a truly gorgeous middle aged woman.
That's cool and all about your wife, but how did Shania look?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Last week I met my wife for a late lunch and who should come into the mainly empty sushi place but Shania Twain.

That's cool and all about your wife, but how did Shania look?
God bless you!

There were TWO gorgeous middle aged women in that section of the restaurant.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:Tom Brady's agent, when he was a teenager, was batboy for the Sacramento AAA team. My legion team played a game prior to one of their games.

That give me four people I've brushed who have been in the national news in recent weeks (Vitali Klitschko, Mayor of Kiev; Ben Carson, presidential candidate; Yanis Varofakis, Greece Finance Minister.) I'm on a roll.
How did you brush Varofakis? Is he calling you in to do some anesthesia on the Greek nation before Germany and the Euro bankers conduct some serious surgery?
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

When he was just getting started, Bill Watterson. I wonder how many know the origin of the title of his legendary comic strip?

I must admit that I was unimpressed with his early work, so I didn't see the brilliance of Calvin and Hobbes coming. It was like hearing Love Me Do and inferring that the same guys would soon create In My Life and Paperback Writer, or even Help! I don't have ears like that.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DC47 wrote:I wonder how many know the origin of the title of his legendary comic strip?
I think that is fairly widely known among serious fans. Elsewhere, probably not.

Anyhoo, for those wondering, he named them after austere anti-papist theologian John Calvin and dour philosopher Thomas Hobbes, known for his dim view of human nature. Watterson's sly sense of humor...
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Actually, the origin was a particular freshman political science class at Kenyon College in 1976 that included the original work of these authors as texts. Memory fades, but most likely a particular assignment for a paper. I recall that mine was original, quirky and brilliant, but his not so much. The world somehow sees it differently.