Post by Giff »

Great pic, man!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: A New Brushes with thread

Post by Johnny Carwash »

OK, spill it, wlu_lax.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So for my new position I have a pretty large team. We have some open head.count and use outsourced recruiting companies to find talent. So I am talking to one of the guys today about why his candidate was a no go. First time I had really talked to this company. We start with some general chit chat. It is pretty clear that he is a new Yorker. I learn he is from the Island (Long Island). He asks if I like sports. We talk lacrosse and the some Long Island geography because my roommates from college who were from the Island. We talk some football and baseball. We get done talking about what I need him to find and are wrapping up. He says he will try to get to Rockville and meet in person, grab a beer over a game. I ask if he likes Ranger or Isles. My Long island roommates from college thought Mick Vukota was a hero (had a vhs of just him fighting). That is always a good conversation. Anyway says he is a Rangers fan but recently started rooting for the Ottawa Senators. I say, that is strange. He responds with "well it is because of my son." I ask, "Does he like the sweaters or logo or something?" He says "Yeah he does. He likes Ottawa as city too". I say, "Does he live there?" He says "Yeah". I say "What does your son do that had him move to Ottawa for work?"

https://www.nhl.com/player/shane-pinto-8481596
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Kid is doing well this season!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:58 pm Kid is doing well this season!
rookie of the month for October and pretty good rate of putting puck in the net.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

That reminded me of the time I got a call from Miles Austin at my previous job. It was the year the WR with that name first came to fantasy football prominence out of nowhere and I had him on my team. My secretary forwarded the call and when I heard the name, I was convinced it was a friend in that league pranking me. I picked up, assuming it was my friend. It wasn't. Not sure what I said, but I was less than professional. I apologized to the guy and explained, he laughed and said that the football player was his son. He was so excited to talk about his son that my embarrassment was soon forgotten.

Also got a call from comedian Rich Vos at that job, to form a corporation for him and his wife for a movie they were producing. For anyone who knows Vos from The Opie and Anthony Show or Tough Crowd, Vos sounds like a moron and all the other comedians constantly tear him apart. He said something stupid and it took a ton of effort not to make fun of him. I wonder how he would have reacted if I made fun of him. Nobody takes abuse better than Vos, but calling into a law office and getting ripped by the attorney probably wouldn't sit well.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Our niece (a student at the University of Delaware) ran into Flo Rida (a performer at the University of Delaware on 11/17) at a bar this week in Newark (a city where the main campus of the University of Delaware is located) and he grabbed her phone and took a series of selfies with her and given how I cringe whenever I see one of her posts on IG (I'll just say she's enjoying herself at college, and this is just her "public/family" account) I'm not sure if I want to see the pics or not.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:33 pm Our niece (a student at the University of Delaware) ran into Flo Rida (a performer [someone who performs for money] at the University [an institution of higher learning] of Delaware on 11/17) at a bar (An establishment where patrons pay money in exchange for refreshments where often music is playing to enhance the atmosphere) this week (11/13/2022-11-19-2022) in Newark (a city where the main campus of the University of Delaware is located) and he grabbed her phone (a device used for communication and often now accessible at all times regardless of location) and took a series of selfies (A picture taken on said phone showing a typically small group of people) with her(the neice) and given how I (rass) cringe whenever I (rass) see one of her posts on IG (I'll just say she's enjoying herself at college, and this is just her "public/family" account) I'm not sure if I want to see the pics or not.
FIFY.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And you know what they say about dudes in Delaware 📏📏📏
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:41 pm
rass wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:33 pm Our niece (a student at the University of Delaware) ran into Flo Rida (a performer [someone who performs for money] at the University [an institution of higher learning] of Delaware on 11/17) at a bar (An establishment where patrons pay money in exchange for refreshments where often music is playing to enhance the atmosphere) this week (11/13/2022-11-19-2022) in Newark (a city where the main campus of the University of Delaware is located) and he grabbed her phone (a device used for communication and often now accessible at all times regardless of location) and took a series of selfies (A picture taken on said phone showing a typically small group of people) with her(the neice) and given how I (rass) cringe whenever I (rass) see one of her posts on IG (I'll just say she's enjoying herself at college, and this is just her "public/family" account) I'm not sure if I want to see the pics or not.
FIFY.
can’t decide between

(seems) excessive

and

seems (excessive)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, the sports nickname for the University of Delaware is the Blue Hens, right? So, are the women’s teams called the Lady Hens? That would seem redundant.

And it seems like the men’s teams should be called the Blue Roosters, right?

I wonder about these things.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:47 pm So, the sports nickname for the University of Delaware is the Blue Hens, right? So, are the women’s teams called the Lady Hens? That would seem redundant.

I don't think the gals go with "Lady" moniker.
They are the Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens. I am not one to talk, but maybe try at least to spell Fighting correctly.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:32 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:47 pm So, the sports nickname for the University of Delaware is the Blue Hens, right? So, are the women’s teams called the Lady Hens? That would seem redundant.

I don't think the gals go with "Lady" moniker.
They are the Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens. I am not one to talk, but maybe try at least to spell Fighting correctly.
Well they spell fanatic with a PH in those parts, so...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just rode the elevator with Zach Levine's dad.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:05 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:58 pm Kid is doing well this season!
rookie of the month for October and pretty good rate of putting puck in the net.
His dad invited me to the Caps -Sens game next Thursday.....I am out of town...inlaws suck
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My oldest kid got a side gig for the semester, working at the daycare room at a gym in Spokane.

Turns out the gym is owned by notorious Anti-Vaxxer and HOF'er John Stockton. She's had lengthy conversations with him...not about Covid vaccines. She says he's a nice guy, but she may just be saying that because he's the boss.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This might be the biggest stretch in the thread’s long and glorious history, but I just learned the guy who played Stuart on How I Met Your Mother moved in like 3 blocks from me a few years back. Not sure if I’ve met him or not.

(We live a block from the next town and there’s a bit of an invisible dividing line based on kids in different schools. If he were three (or even four!) blocks the other way we’d likely be BFFs by now.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 pm This might be the biggest stretch in the thread’s long and glorious history, but I just learned the guy who played Stuart on How I Met Your Mother moved in like 3 blocks from me a few years back. Not sure if I’ve met him or not.

(We live a block from the next town and there’s a bit of an invisible dividing line based on kids in different schools. If he were three (or even four!) blocks the other way we’d likely be BFFs by now.)
This is the perfect brush with fame.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:54 pm My oldest kid got a side gig for the semester, working at the daycare room at a gym in Spokane.

Turns out the gym is owned by notorious Anti-Vaxxer and HOF'er John Stockton. She's had lengthy conversations with him...not about Covid vaccines. She says he's a nice guy, but she may just be saying that because he's the boss.
I hope she obeys the six-foot space rule. Not because of COVID, but any closer he’s likely to violently throw himself to the ground.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:41 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:54 pm My oldest kid got a side gig for the semester, working at the daycare room at a gym in Spokane.

I hope she obeys the six-foot space rule. Not because of COVID, but any closer he’s likely to violently throw himself to the ground.
Still looking to draw a charging call.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Giff wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:41 pm

Lol.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ran into Laird Hamilton at LAS last Thursday in the Uber line. Texted my most frequently used friend group text (including Oiler), and none of them knew who he was. I need new friends.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:10 pm Ran into Laird Hamilton at LAS last Thursday in the Uber line. Texted my most frequently used friend group text (including Oiler), and none of them knew who he was. I need new friends.
No one has time for the second most important Laird in Florida.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:10 pm Ran into Laird Hamilton at LAS last Thursday in the Uber line. Texted my most frequently used friend group text (including Oiler), and none of them knew who he was. I need new friends.
They didn't know Gabrielle Reece's husband?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Not knowing Laird Hamilton... I guess I can see that? He and his wife were fairly ubiquitous for a run in the 90s, at a minimum.

That said, big wave surfing is pretty freaking obscure... And, frankly, so is beach volleyball.

But they became so much more famous outside of their respective sports.

How big a group, if you don't mind me asking?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:34 pm
They didn't know Gabrielle Reece's husband?
That was my next question to them!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:39 pm Not knowing Laird Hamilton... I guess I can see that? He and his wife were fairly ubiquitous for a run in the 90s, at a minimum.

That said, big wave surfing is pretty freaking obscure... And, frankly, so is beach volleyball.

How big a group, if you don't mind me asking?
8 counting me and my wife, (my wife knew who he was). Most of us between 43 and 45. Oiler's wife is a bit younger, so she gets a pass. 6 of the 8 of us took at least a few classes at FSU (where Gabby played college volleyball), although I think she's at least a few years older than us. Dude helped invent tow in surfing and she was pretty popular (B-C list celeb) back in the day as well.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

He was more famous as a model, I think. Her too, probably.

Come to think of it, I was on a flight with Gabby Reece many years ago. Had just gotten married and the wife and I were flying to LA for our honeymoon. This was back when she was pretty famous. Even my wife recognized her (and she doesn't really know famous people).
Totally Kafkaesque
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Had a major crush on Gabby Reece just after she graduated college and signed with Nike (I think it was Nike)...they started using her in ad campaigns, materials, etc. That's how I first found out who she was. She's a decent IG follow now...hosts a podcast and posts self-help type stuff.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:21 pm Had a major crush on Gabby Reece just after she graduated college and signed with Nike (I think it was Nike)...they started using her in ad campaigns, materials, etc. That's how I first found out who she was. She's a decent IG follow now...hosts a podcast and posts self-help type stuff.
Yes. she's a pretty striking person in real life. She was standing up putting her luggage in the overhead bin and she's tall and quite shapely. I, of course, didn't say a word.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jeez, I don't know celebrities, and even I know who Laird Hamilton is. I imagine seeing him and Gabrielle Reece together would be something. Very large beautiful people.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:59 pmYes. she's a pretty striking person in real life. She was standing up putting her luggage in the overhead bin and she's tall and quite shapely. I, of course, didn't say a word.
That's only the second time someone has used the term "shapely" in this iteration of the swamp.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:39 pm Not knowing Laird Hamilton... I guess I can see that? He and his wife were fairly ubiquitous for a run in the 90s, at a minimum.

He was in the George Clooney movie "The Descendants", playing the guy who was driving the boat in the accident that killed Clooney's wife.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Friend of the Mrs. and I grew up on the Jersey Shore. Her younger brother was a pro boogie boarder (https://www.surfertoday.com/bodyboardin ... body-glove). So he moved to Hawaii and got into the local pros scene/crew and talked about how great Laird and Gabby Reece were as people. Especially to some young kid from NJ trying to make it as a boogie board pro. So besides being amazing athletes and financially secure, they apparently are just amazingly nice people who give back/engage with the community. Pretty much genuine to the personas they try to convey commercially.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:39 pm Friend of the Mrs. and I grew up on the Jersey Shore. Her younger brother was a pro boogie boarder (https://www.surfertoday.com/bodyboardin ... body-glove). So he moved to Hawaii and got into the local pros scene/crew and talked about how great Laird and Gabby Reece were as people. Especially to some young kid from NJ trying to make it as a boogie board pro. So besides being amazing athletes and financially secure, they apparently are just amazingly nice people who give back/engage with the community. Pretty much genuine to the personas they try to convey commercially.
I read that and have one question....there's a pro boogie boarding circuit? I had no idea...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:38 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:39 pm Friend of the Mrs. and I grew up on the Jersey Shore. Her younger brother was a pro boogie boarder (https://www.surfertoday.com/bodyboardin ... body-glove). So he moved to Hawaii and got into the local pros scene/crew and talked about how great Laird and Gabby Reece were as people. Especially to some young kid from NJ trying to make it as a boogie board pro. So besides being amazing athletes and financially secure, they apparently are just amazingly nice people who give back/engage with the community. Pretty much genuine to the personas they try to convey commercially.
I read that and have one question....there's a pro boogie boarding circuit? I had no idea...
What's next, pro pickleball and World Team Tennis?
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Former Florida AD Jeremy Foley in the pisser at the Boss.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:58 pm Former Florida AD Jeremy Foley in the pisser at the Boss.
Did you ask him about CRT or NIL?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:07 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:58 pm Former Florida AD Jeremy Foley in the pisser at the Boss.
Did you ask him about CRT or NIL?
I'm OLI on NIL
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:27 am So for my new position I have a pretty large team. We have some open head.count and use outsourced recruiting companies to find talent. So I am talking to one of the guys today about why his candidate was a no go. First time I had really talked to this company. We start with some general chit chat. It is pretty clear that he is a new Yorker. I learn he is from the Island (Long Island). He asks if I like sports. We talk lacrosse and the some Long Island geography because my roommates from college who were from the Island. We talk some football and baseball. We get done talking about what I need him to find and are wrapping up. He says he will try to get to Rockville and meet in person, grab a beer over a game. I ask if he likes Ranger or Isles. My Long island roommates from college thought Mick Vukota was a hero (had a vhs of just him fighting). That is always a good conversation. Anyway says he is a Rangers fan but recently started rooting for the Ottawa Senators. I say, that is strange. He responds with "well it is because of my son." I ask, "Does he like the sweaters or logo or something?" He says "Yeah he does. He likes Ottawa as city too". I say, "Does he live there?" He says "Yeah". I say "What does your son do that had him move to Ottawa for work?"

https://www.nhl.com/player/shane-pinto-8481596
The Athletic wrote an article about my recruiter Frank

https://theathletic.com/4225131/2023/02 ... to-family/