2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Post by HaulCitgo »

WTF. At least the article is very clear that he wasnt drinking alcohol. WTF? But the guy is still dead. I think about that sometimes driving home. If some dumb fuck steps off the curb im gonna have to prove that hes the dumbass cause everyone is going to act like im a murderer cause I had 3 beers.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

This story has this note, which was not in the previously linked story:
Investigators say two cars were involved in an accident and the passengers got out of their vehicles. Boeheim, who was driving, hit and killed one of the people who had gotten out of their car after the initial accident.

Sources tell us the man's car was partially in the driving lane when he got out of the vehicle.
That section of 690 is not particularly well lit (no street lights/utility poles in that section). I drive it a couple nights a week going to/coming home from my pick-up game.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, there's a section of the Capital Beltway in PG County where a person outside of their vehicle is killed a couple of times a year. Not a large percentage of them are alcohol related. Just VERY dangerous to be out of your car on the shoulder.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:38 am Yeah, there's a section of the Capital Beltway in PG County where a person outside of their vehicle is killed a couple of times a year. Not a large percentage of them are alcohol related. Just VERY dangerous to be out of your car on the shoulder.
Happens in Vegas about twice a week, maybe more. Think we lead the country in pedestrian deaths by car per capita though there's various reasons for that. But Citgo's point is why I don't drive after having a few beers as much. I don't so much worry about me as what some random crazy person is going to do. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people just jackrabbit across a busy street with traffic everywhere either oblivious to the dangers or hopped up on lord knows what.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

To be fair, if the car was stalled in a driving lane it wouldn't have been a good idea to be in the car either. Just not a lot of good options for anyone, it seems.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's a very serious subject with a lot of implications for losing their mobility, but there's a story here also about senior citizens and their decreased driving abilities. (I don't know anything about the accident scene so of course it's possible a 25-year-old Boeheim has the same accident, but just saying.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I bet Boeheim is just pissed about his car.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Deadspin commenters probably took all the zone jokes already, right?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:06 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:38 am Yeah, there's a section of the Capital Beltway in PG County where a person outside of their vehicle is killed a couple of times a year. Not a large percentage of them are alcohol related. Just VERY dangerous to be out of your car on the shoulder.
Happens in Vegas about twice a week, maybe more. Think we lead the country in pedestrian deaths by car per capita though there's various reasons for that. But Citgo's point is why I don't drive after having a few beers as much. I don't so much worry about me as what some random crazy person is going to do. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people just jackrabbit across a busy street with traffic everywhere either oblivious to the dangers or hopped up on lord knows what.
I watched a reality show on Netflix last year about guys that hustle and try to put together overnight packages to sell to local TV news in Los Angeles. There's one pretty horrifying scene where a car is stalled out in the left lane on a highway. Lots to unpack, but he most immediate horror is that it's just near impossible to stop or maneuver when you're confronted with a completely stopped vehicle and you're traveling 70 mph.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We were in that exact scenario about two years ago on the Garden State. Someone either stalled or blew a tire in the left lane, after dark, and we were the 2nd car of the first wave to reach it. The car ahead of me and I both slammed on the brakes and got stopped but the car behind me couldn't and hit us. The absolute worst part was the second after the impact when I was sure there was more coming and knowing the kids were in the back seat, but luckily that was it for us.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:32 am
I watched a reality show on Netflix last year about guys that hustle and try to put together overnight packages to sell to local TV news in Los Angeles. There's one pretty horrifying scene where a car is stalled out in the left lane on a highway. Lots to unpack, but he most immediate horror is that it's just near impossible to stop or maneuver when you're confronted with a completely stopped vehicle and you're traveling 70 mph.
Nightcrawler with jake Gyllenhaalallalal is a really good movie about those dudes.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:40 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:32 am
Nightcrawler with jake Gyllenhaalallalal is a really good movie about those dudes.
Yeah, not a bad movie.

Shot in the Dark is the show I was thinking about. I've probably posted about it in the Netflix thread.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I-20 at 285 late at night. Some car was lights off in the second or third of 4 or 5 lanes completely stopped. Traffic routinely moves at 75-80 around here and coming up on a completely stopped dark car is freaky as hell. Blind swerve into the next lane to avoid it. Damn near wrecked the car trying to call 911 once i passed. Really wonder what happened there.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:00 pm I-20 at 285 late at night. Some car was lights off in the second or third of 4 or 5 lanes completely stopped. Traffic routinely moves at 75-80 around here and coming up on a completely stopped dark car is freaky as hell. Blind swerve into the next lane to avoid it. Damn near wrecked the car trying to call 911 once i passed. Really wonder what happened there.
That's the exact scenario in the documentary/show. In that instance the guy's car just died and he didn't know what to do, with cars screaming past him. Really rough to watch, but the guy lived.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I imagine if this hadn’t happened the Atlantic 10 Debacleventure(tm) last night would be dominating all the CBB news.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Gameday won't be in Syracuse this weekend because Zion's status is up in the air and also possibly because a guy died. Maybe they'll do St. Bonaventure-Fordham?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Start the clock now!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rex wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:02 pm Gameday won't be in Syracuse this weekend because Zion's status is up in the air and also possibly because a guy died. Maybe they'll do St. Bonaventure-Fordham?
Seriously? Two programs clash - one without their star player and the other cuz the coach hit a drifter with his car.

Apologies to the aggrieved, but come-the-fuck-on.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think the boeheim thing mattered more here.

And drifter? There was a car wreck. Wtf?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I find it weird that the athletic director makes it sounds like it is his decision that Boeheim will coach tomorrow.

I mean, I'm sure Boeheim decided he wanted to coach and the AD is taking some of the heat off him by "deciding", but this sounds a little odd.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Duke game more important than dead guy. Just say it. He's named Jiminez so carry on.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:28 pm I think the boeheim thing mattered more here.

And drifter? There was a car wreck. Wtf?
I'm sorry. I was a little sauced last night. The "hit a drifter" bit was from that Will Ferrell as Neal Diamond skit.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Central Michigan won the Michigan MAC Trophy for men's basketball last weekend after beating Eastern Michigan, but TIL the Michigan MAC Trophy is one of only two rivalry trophies annually contested among three schools.

The other is much more well-known.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Virginia put together perhaps the greatest shooting display of all-time in college basketball last night. 18-of-25 on threes (including a miss by a walk-on in the final minute) at the Carrier Dome last night. They were 8-of-12 in the first half and were trailing, so they shot even better in the second half. Contested shots, 32-footers, everything. It was amazing and ridiculous.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:38 pm Central Michigan won the Michigan MAC Trophy for men's basketball last weekend after beating Eastern Michigan, but TIL the Michigan MAC Trophy is one of only two rivalry trophies annually contested among three schools.

Commander in Chief Trophy?

Wikipedia tells me there's also 3 way trophy awarding contests in Florida (Miami, FSU, Gators) and Utah (BYU, Utah, State).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am Virginia put together perhaps the greatest shooting display of all-time in college basketball last night. 18-of-25 on threes (including a miss by a walk-on in the final minute) at the Carrier Dome last night. They were 8-of-12 in the first half and were trailing, so they shot even better in the second half. Contested shots, 32-footers, everything. It was amazing and ridiculous.
In my quest to make everything about MI... They are shooting REALLY poorly right now and still getting results. There are guys that shot the lights out last year that are just not shooting well from 3. They were something like 1-11 on 3s in the first half against a pretty good MD team and they still lead by 3 (or thereabouts) at half-time.

If any 2 guys (at a minimum) get hot down the stretch... IF MI can shoot 40 percent or so from behind the arc? They can beat any team in the country.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:59 pm
brian wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:38 pm Central Michigan won the Michigan MAC Trophy for men's basketball last weekend after beating Eastern Michigan, but TIL the Michigan MAC Trophy is one of only two rivalry trophies annually contested among three schools.

Commander in Chief Trophy?

Wikipedia tells me there's also 3 way trophy awarding contests in Florida (Miami, FSU, Gators) and Utah (BYU, Utah, State).
Correct. Those other two are not annually contested though I do think they award the trophy in years when all three teams play each other.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am Virginia put together perhaps the greatest shooting display of all-time in college basketball last night. 18-of-25 on threes (including a miss by a walk-on in the final minute) at the Carrier Dome last night. They were 8-of-12 in the first half and were trailing, so they shot even better in the second half. Contested shots, 32-footers, everything. It was amazing and ridiculous.
I’m traveling this week or I would have commented on this already. I thought about you, DSG, after that second half. It was incredible. I LOLed several times at the shots they took and hit.

Hope they didn’t blow their load too soon.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

We are in prime conference tourney and there is no chatter on the swamp. Add that to you can get a ticket to Big 10 tourney on the secondary market for $3 says something about the state of college hoops.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Major conference tourneys don't matter?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:46 am Major conference tourneys don't matter?
And never really did.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The first round or two matter for some bubble teams, no?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sure, but that's not going to fill a neutral arena.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The number of people in the arena doesn't equal them mattering or not does it?

Personally, I like campus games for the first couple of rounds for most conferences. The mid-majors / small majors people don't travel. The neutral sites make sense for some of the big (somewhat-) centralized conferences (big 10, ACC, etc.) but aside from the 17 tourneys in Vegas I don't think neutral site games attract crowds, ever.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It does when I'm responding to a comment about $3 tickets?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

They're all at the crew meets
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, watching all the rich kids not compete LOL.

(That's 2 or 3?)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:53 pm It does when I'm responding to a comment about $3 tickets?
Who the f wants to see Northwestern play Penn State in hoops?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:39 pm The number of people in the arena doesn't equal them mattering or not does it?

Personally, I like campus games for the first couple of rounds for most conferences. The mid-majors / small majors people don't travel. The neutral sites make sense for some of the big (somewhat-) centralized conferences (big 10, ACC, etc.) but aside from the 17 tourneys in Vegas I don't think neutral site games attract crowds, ever.
Only the lowliest four or five conferences play their tournaments at campus sites.

Mid-major is relative of course, but here's a partial list:
Missouri Valley (St. Louis)
MAC (Cleveland)
Big Sky (Boise)
Big West (Anaheim)
Sun Belt (New Orleans)
Horizon (Detroit)
Ohio Valley (Evansville)