Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by BSF21 »

Anyone got any tips for dealing with Cirtonella Ants other than spraying the fuckers and putting out ant baits? This is the 2nd day they've been "swarming" inside my living room seems to be worst when its warm and damp outside, crawling out from where I can only assume is inside my wall.

Had a pest guy out last week and he said there was no colony activity, so they were likely inside my walls and tried to sell me 150$ to come out and spray the house for them and then 80 bucks per quarter after that. This is the first problem we've had with them in 3 years of living here. I'd rather avoid that if possible.

They aren't damaging from what I read, just gross to have bugs crawling around inside and frustrating that I can't figure out why they'd want to be in here, BSFGF keeps this place spotless.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Talk to neighbors. We had that happen when we were moving and it was "wow, how did you just start having this issue". Had it sprayed then transferred over the annual contract to the buyer's. Was told it would only get much worse and more expensive if not treated and maintained.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

We had a rather disgusting spell of bugs in the kitchen last year. I let it go for a long time despite constant wifely bitching and her refusal to cook but eventually signed up for the quarterly spraying and havent seen any since. Worked surprisingly well. Just signed up a contract on my old house over the weekend and buyer (and soon the govt guarantor) asked about the bug termite warranty from exterminators. So worth it I think.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Anybody install carpet?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote:Anybody install carpet?
Oh god. Just never fun to deal with.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

HaulCitgo wrote:Anybody install carpet?
Eight-Hundred Five Three Eight Two Three-Hundred

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

When we moved last year we kept our townhome to rent out. We had a very old washer and dryer set in the garage. During our time away, the cheap plastic coupling holding the hose to the washer broke. So, for months now, water has been spitting onto the drywall. Luckily, there's nothing behind that drywall but the stairs leading to the second floor, but having it replaced is not something I ever considered happening to me as a landlord.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote:When we moved last year we kept our townhome to rent out. We had a very old washer and dryer set in the garage. During our time away, the cheap plastic coupling holding the hose to the washer broke. So, for months now, water has been spitting onto the drywall. Luckily, there's nothing behind that drywall but the stairs leading to the second floor, but having it replaced is not something I ever considered happening to me as a landlord.
Worst Penthouse letter ever.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Drywall is easy!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote:Drywall is easy!
Drywall is easy, in theory. But it's a pain in the ass to do it well.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The fact that it is still going to be drywall behind the washer and dryer in the garage makes me feel a little bit better about life. No one will ever see how shitty it is. That being said, I'm still going to pay a contractor friend to do it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The hardest part is mudding it in nice and even to minimize sanding, but with a little time it's something you can do reasonably well. Just need a good trowel/blade.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF21 wrote:Anyone got any tips for dealing with Cirtonella Ants other than spraying the fuckers and putting out ant baits? This is the 2nd day they've been "swarming" inside my living room seems to be worst when its warm and damp outside, crawling out from where I can only assume is inside my wall.

Had a pest guy out last week and he said there was no colony activity, so they were likely inside my walls and tried to sell me 150$ to come out and spray the house for them and then 80 bucks per quarter after that. This is the first problem we've had with them in 3 years of living here. I'd rather avoid that if possible.

They aren't damaging from what I read, just gross to have bugs crawling around inside and frustrating that I can't figure out why they'd want to be in here, BSFGF keeps this place spotless.
mixing boric acid with jam or peanut butter and placing near places where they enter the home has worked for me.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I guess this could be considered home repairs because of what's to come... but I just found a house not far from me that's 8 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, has two apartments attached to it with separate entrances for rental units and it's listed for $250,000.

Seriously debating driving past it tomorrow and looking at it. My business brain is whirring right now.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Brontoburglar wrote:I guess this could be considered home repairs because of what's to come... but I just found a house not far from me that's 8 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, has two apartments attached to it with separate entrances for rental units and it's listed for $250,000.

Seriously debating driving past it tomorrow and looking at it. My business brain is whirring right now.

Holy Moses!

Where do you live? That sounds like a crazy deal.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Brontoburglar wrote:I guess this could be considered home repairs because of what's to come... but I just found a house not far from me that's 8 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms, has two apartments attached to it with separate entrances for rental units and it's listed for $250,000.

Hmm ... for that price, that house must have either some serious mold issues or the foundation is collapsing.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

What are the taxes on the property? If you plan on using it as an income property, is it a desirable place for tenants? Do the 8/8 include the two apartments, and if not would you be able to divide it up even more? When you look at this place, keep in mind what Sabo said. If nothing is wrong and you think you can get double the mortgage payment (I am guessing around $1800-2000 depending on taxes), go for it. It could end up being a nice steady income of $1500 a month if not more depending on how nice it is and the location. Would you hire a company to do upkeep or plan on doing what you can and hire out when needed?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote:

Hmm ... for that price, that house must have either some serious mold issues or the foundation is collapsing.
Exactly. I'm gonna go drive past it today and see how decrepit it looks. It was apparently listed for $341 two years ago, so there has to be a massive catch.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

duff wrote:

What are the taxes on the property? If you plan on using it as an income property, is it a desirable place for tenants? Do the 8/8 include the two apartments, and if not would you be able to divide it up even more? When you look at this place, keep in mind what Sabo said. If nothing is wrong and you think you can get double the mortgage payment (I am guessing around $1800-2000 depending on taxes), go for it. It could end up being a nice steady income of $1500 a month if not more depending on how nice it is and the location. Would you hire a company to do upkeep or plan on doing what you can and hire out when needed?
$4K total per the Zillow listing, which isn't too much more (relatively speaking) than what I'm paying now.

The 8/8 does not include the apartments. The apartments are separate from the 8/8, so it's actually a 10/10 with 2/2 in separate units.

Shit, this is a massive pipe dream at the moment but if it's feasible I'd live in the house and manage everything else myself. Get a roommate or two (not like you're gonna stumble over each other with a house that size) and go from there.

I have no intentions of moving, but this is so much of a "what the hell?" that it's fun to investigate at the very least -- plus it's 5 blocks from the brand new super nice community center.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Sabo wrote:

Exactly. I'm gonna go drive past it today and see how decrepit it looks. It was apparently listed for $341 two years ago, so there has to be a massive catch.
Do your homework before becoming a landlord. Not to discourage, but I've got several close friends/family that rent and every single one of them has at least one horror story of a tenant that they swear they vetted and checked and was still a shit human being.

I love the idea of an income property, but the idea of being a landlord terrifies me. Good luck with it.

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

BSF21 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Sabo wrote:

Do your homework before becoming a landlord. Not to discourage, but I've got several close friends/family that rent and every single one of them has at least one horror story of a tenant that they swear they vetted and checked and was still a shit human being.

I love the idea of an income property, but the idea of being a landlord terrifies me. Good luck with it.
Oh, I had no intentions of doing any research whatsoever. If it looks good from the outside today I'm making an offer.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
Sabo wrote:

Oh, I had no intentions of doing any research whatsoever. If it looks good from the outside today I'm making an offer.
Because that's what I was trying to convey. Sorry someone shit in your protein shake this morning.

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Do your homework before becoming a landlord. Not to discourage, but I've got several close friends/family that rent and every single one of them has at least one horror story of a tenant that they swear they vetted and checked and was still a shit human being.

Because that's what I was trying to convey. Sorry someone shit in your protein shake this morning.
It's really nice to see Bronto transform from the naive young man he was when he joined the Swamp into a crotchety old fuck he is these days.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sabo wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:
BSF21 wrote:Do your homework before becoming a landlord. Not to discourage, but I've got several close friends/family that rent and every single one of them has at least one horror story of a tenant that they swear they vetted and checked and was still a shit human being.

It's really nice to see Bronto transform from the naive young man he was when he joined the Swamp into a crotchety old fuck he is these days.
So when I'm sarcastic I'm crotchety! I see how it is.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Sabo wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

That's what happens you don't get laid.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

that ain't the issue at this point
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Brontoburglar wrote:that ain't the issue at this point
No it is a sugar crash.
Bronto wrote:Won't price match my cadbury eggs.. Get off my lawn and all tell that Chase Elliot he is driving like a maniac
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Do some rudimentary title work. Might have liens etc.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

(yes everyone I would do incredibly thorough research before this went from "pipe dream" to "possible reality")
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

See if you can get prequalified for a mortgage.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote:(yes everyone I would do incredibly thorough research before this went from "pipe dream" to "possible reality")
[Toussles hair affectionately] We're just lookin' out for ya, kid!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote:See if you can get prequalified for a mortgage.
gonna get one of those rocket loan thingies
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Have you checked the school district? That could affect resale value.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Find out if you'll need a 220 or a 221 or whatever it takes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If that doesn't say "brothel", nothing does.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

P.D.X. wrote:If that doesn't say "brothel", nothing does.
And remember, being a landlord may be tough, but pimpin' ain't easy either
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

howard wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:If that doesn't say "brothel", nothing does.
And remember, being a landlord may be tough, but pimpin' ain't easy either
Nor is popin'.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I just swept out and reorganized my garage. Is that a repair?

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Did you do proper research on how to hold the broom and where to deposit all of the dust?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

duff wrote:Did you do proper research on how to hold the broom and where to deposit all of the dust?
What do I look like? Some kind of fuckin' nerd?