Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by Gunpowder »

I'm assuming it's something like this (just without the ugly 1940s handle) and the screw is in a similar location, and you can't get the handle off to get to it?

I think my main issue is that I can't figure exactly where the break is that would prevent you from accessing the screw.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't think I can pry it off without risking all the shit behind the wall. The normal way to disassemble would be unscrew the handle, unscrew the little screw behind the handle to pull off another piece and then get at the plate. Its definitely not the way I thought it was constructed going in.

Just saw your pic ... the drilling would be coming in through the side, not front to back.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:57 am
Gunpowder wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:53 am I still don't quite understand what is going on here, though.

Can you pry it off around the base of the metal plate (where it meets the shower wall and just pull that part off?
I am lost on the details as well. I totally misunderstood at first, thought I did after, but now still don't know.
This would make for a good show for TLC to add to their lineup.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:02 am I don't think I can pry it off without risking all the shit behind the wall. The normal way to disassemble would be unscrew the handle, unscrew the little screw behind the handle to pull off another piece and then get at the plate. Its definitely not the way I thought it was constructed going in.

Just saw your pic ... the drilling would be coming in through the side, not front to back.
Ok, I got it now.

https://manualzz.com/doc/27408517/insta ... ier-faucet

Assuming your plan is to just drill out the part where the handle broke off, which seems like the best idea if you can't cut or break that whole part off entirely.

You may also be able to use JB Weld to glue it back on and then try to twist the handle off a day later.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oooo, I like that last part as a plan if I fuck up trying to drill it out.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

JB Weld is sick. I'll never use shitty gorilla glue again. Any time I break something I can usually just glue it back together now. Well, epoxy it back together. Whatever.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Is that one of those epoxy deals where you have to mix 2 things together to activate the stickiness?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:43 am Is that one of those epoxy deals where you have to mix 2 things together to activate the stickiness?
Yep - you can see the mixing in first image on the block of wood.

Sometimes if it doesn't have to be great I'll use Loctite because it's easier but this stuff is generally the best hold by far.

EDIT: Just realized I accidentally posted the ratchet protractor-orgy table I was using to sloppily cut baseboards. Condo life is the greatest
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So today I noticed that there's something wrong with the AC in the house. It's pretty warm today (low 80s, sunny) so it got sort of warm upstairs. The ecobee app on my phone said the AC was set to come on at 73 degrees, and the temp was 75. Actually, it showed that the AC was running. So I went downstairs and realized that yes, the AC was running. I checked a vent, and no air was blowing out of it. I went downstairs to the utility closet/location and realized the fan / blower apparatus wasn't running. Just sort of making a small noise. I went back upstairs to reset the circuit breakers, and no dice. So I raised the temp on the thermostat beyond what the temperature will reach (so the outside unit doesn't come on).

I noticed there's a switch (like a switch on a wall) on the unit downstairs, but I've no idea what that does.

Any advice before I call a repair man?
Noli Timere Messorem
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

That switch is most likely an emergency power off switch. There should be a switch like that on all furnaces/blowers.

Based on what you described, the furnace blower motor died. Considering that’s the mechanism that runs the most for HVAC systems, it’s a common failure point. Recommend calling an HVAC company to take a look and replace it if needed.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sabo wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:48 pm That switch is most likely an emergency power off switch. There should be a switch like that on all furnaces/blowers.

Based on what you described, the furnace blower motor died. Considering that’s the mechanism that runs the most for HVAC systems, it’s a common failure point. Recommend calling an HVAC company to take a look and replace it if needed.
I figured it was something like that. Come to think of it, if it were 60-65 degrees from now until December (stranger things have happened), I might not have realized the issue until we had our first cold snap. :idea:
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The water pressure has been getting steadily worse in our shower/bath (one faucet with a diverter) and I noticed that it’s been starting to drip. The entire thing contraption is a good 10+ years old so I do some googling and replacing the shower cartridge is a thing and seems painless.

I get a genuine Delta replacement at HD and after some bumps getting the old one out (doused it with WD40 and CLR) I got it all put back together and…

Just a dribble. I swear to fucking Jerloma that I’ve taken it apart and double-checked 3 times now and I did it right, and it’s the right part. Just tested turning the water on without it in place and the pressure looks good.

I don't think there is anything in the line to the faucet - if I somehow jarred something loose and clogged that wouldn’t the shower just be on?

So the cartridge itself? Should you be able to freely blow through one end of it, or should it not allow that. I removed the front that connects to the handle, so both sides are open. If I shake it the right way I hear something shift inside, and sometimes I can force air through one side and little, but not the other.

It’s a Delta RP46074 if that helps.

WTF? Do I eat another $60 and try another cartridge?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

wouldn't you be able to return the faulty cartridge if it was a cartridge issue? (Aka you wouldn't be out another $60 if you went that route)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:17 pm wouldn't you be able to return the faulty cartridge if it was a cartridge issue? (Aka you wouldn't be out another $60 if you went that route)
If I’m right, I think sure. But I’d have to bet on myself and buy a new one first because the old one got ruined during the removal process. Or leave the water off again while I go to HD, I guess.

If no one has experience putting lips to c…artridge I’ll probably risk it.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

rass wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:06 pm The water pressure has been getting steadily worse in our shower/bath (one faucet with a diverter) and I noticed that it’s been starting to drip. The entire thing contraption is a good 10+ years old so I do some googling and replacing the shower cartridge is a thing and seems painless.

I get a genuine Delta replacement at HD and after some bumps getting the old one out (doused it with WD40 and CLR) I got it all put back together and…

Just a dribble. I swear to fucking Jerloma that I’ve taken it apart and double-checked 3 times now and I did it right, and it’s the right part. Just tested turning the water on without it in place and the pressure looks good.

I don't think there is anything in the line to the faucet - if I somehow jarred something loose and clogged that wouldn’t the shower just be on?

So the cartridge itself? Should you be able to freely blow through one end of it, or should it not allow that. I removed the front that connects to the handle, so both sides are open. If I shake it the right way I hear something shift inside, and sometimes I can force air through one side and little, but not the other.

It’s a Delta RP46074 if that helps.

WTF? Do I eat another $60 and try another cartridge?
Was anything by chance screwed in too tightly?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Read that just after I got back from HD $60+ lighter, and was very careful installing the new one to stop as soon as the one component (ring) that gets screwed on wouldn’t budge to the slightest of hand tightening. Still a dribble.

I’m clearly such a dumbass that I can’t even figure out what I’m doing wrong.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Finally finished my deck railing project. Came out pretty good, considering I'm not really a handy type. Managed to not cut off any fingers, and only had to recut one piece of wood when I didn't get a measure right.
IMG_7341.jpg
IMG_7341.jpg (68.65 KiB) Viewed 534 times
IMG_7340.jpg
IMG_7340.jpg (64.12 KiB) Viewed 534 times
The non-stained bits are the part that I did...I need to stain the new stuff, but have to wait to get a few non-wet days in a row for everything to be dry first.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:29 pm Read that just after I got back from HD $60+ lighter, and was very careful installing the new one to stop as soon as the one component (ring) that gets screwed on wouldn’t budge to the slightest of hand tightening. Still a dribble.

you're not somehow installing it backwards, right? I'm incredibly intrigued now
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That would take incredible dexterity.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Deck looks great DiS. But the leaves are really piling up. A bit of an eyesore.

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:15 pm
rass wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:29 pm Read that just after I got back from HD $60+ lighter, and was very careful installing the new one to stop as soon as the one component (ring) that gets screwed on wouldn’t budge to the slightest of hand tightening. Still a dribble.

There is no backwards. I guess upside down could be a possibility, but seems the downside of that would be the hot water might turn on before the cold.

I've got the dishwasher running right now, and when that's done I guess I'm going to try to figure out how to get a pro to look.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Trying to get one last cut in before snow starts, but I can't get the mower started. Push mower. Only a year old. It stalled after it started initially, but now the cord is really hard to pull. I followed youtube and I think it's hydrolocked. When I take out the spark plug the cod pulls fine.

Youtube tells me the oil should just spit out the spark plug hole. It doesn't. It's completely dry. I don't want to drag it over to the small engine guys. Anyone ever dealt with this before?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:59 am Deck looks great DiS. But the leaves are really piling up. A bit of an eyesore.

There is no backwards. I guess upside down could be a possibility, but seems the downside of that would be the hot water might turn on before the cold.

I've got the dishwasher running right now, and when that's done I guess I'm going to try to figure out how to get a pro to look.
They're all different, but is there any kind of o-ring/gasket that gets seated that may be rotted or otherwise not in right? Not sure what the standard is for that.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

testuser2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:40 am Trying to get one last cut in before snow starts, but I can't get the mower started. Push mower. Only a year old. It stalled after it started initially, but now the cord is really hard to pull. I followed youtube and I think it's hydrolocked. When I take out the spark plug the cod pulls fine.

Youtube tells me the oil should just spit out the spark plug hole. It doesn't. It's completely dry. I don't want to drag it over to the small engine guys. Anyone ever dealt with this before?
Hmm. No. I've had a bad carburetor that has to be cleaned out but that doesn't down exactly like what you're dealing with. And not to be an asshole, but there is gas in it right? Cause I have definitely made that stupid mistake before and kicked myself. Hopefully you're not a total doofus like me, though.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:57 am
rass wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:59 am Deck looks great DiS. But the leaves are really piling up. A bit of an eyesore.

They're all different, but is there any kind of o-ring/gasket that gets seated that may be rotted or otherwise not in right? Not sure what the standard is for that.
Anything rubber like that was part of the cartridge itself.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

A_B wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:58 am Hmm. No. I've had a bad carburetor that has to be cleaned out but that doesn't down exactly like what you're dealing with. And not to be an asshole, but there is gas in it right? Cause I have definitely made that stupid mistake before and kicked myself. Hopefully you're not a total doofus like me, though.
Not a dumb question at all. It has gas. I've spilled it all over the damn garage.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Do you mean it's leaking a dribble or the flow is only a dribble? If it's flow check to see if you get both hot and cold. I feel like I had that issue when I did one and had it in backwards.

You can also adjust the mixing. Maybe it got bumped? https://support.deltafaucet.com/s/artic ... 8028366789
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:59 amI've got the dishwasher running right now, and when that's done I guess I'm going to try to figure out how to get a pro to look.
Not sure if you already have someone and its NJ so nothing is cheap, but we've had good experiences w/ Lesco Plumbing.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

testuser2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:58 am

Do you mean it's leaking a dribble or the flow is only a dribble? If it's flow check to see if you get both hot and cold. I feel like I had that issue when I did one and had it in backwards.

You can also adjust the mixing. Maybe it got bumped? https://support.deltafaucet.com/s/artic ... 8028366789
Flow is a dribble. When it's off, it's off (fixed the slow leak, yay!). And yeah I noodled with that. This morning I've even tried (A) putting the front/top (the part with that setting above, that connects to the handle) of the old cartridge on the back/bottom (the part that actually connects to the plumbing) of a new one and (B) turning it "upside down" and gotten no closer to a flow.
mister d wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:00 am
rass wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:59 amI've got the dishwasher running right now, and when that's done I guess I'm going to try to figure out how to get a pro to look.
Not sure if you already have someone and its NJ so nothing is cheap, but we've had good experiences w/ Lesco Plumbing.
We don't really have a place, thanks. I texted our GC who did our major dining room/kitchen revamp and who we're friends with who keeps saying he owes us for the business he still gets from our references and explained I'm either an idiot or we have a major issue we might need actual help with but haven't heard back. :(
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Yeah....the raking is a never ending process around here in the fall.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I stumped Delta, they insisted I had the wrong part and to get the older model cartridge. I tried it only because they promised to reimburse me, and no...

And now the GC is stumped, too. He took everything apart, looked at it, played around, and then took the parts to a supply house to get some advice.

I guess I feel better about my work but not out of the woods on this turning into an actual cost lots of money issue.

I'm wondering if the original contractor who we had do the BR redo back in 2011 or whenever it was did something really weird. Though I think it should be obvious by now, if so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:33 pmI guess I feel better about my work but not out of the woods on this turning into an actual cost lots of money issue.
This is the best. I've had two different projects where the expert who did it explicitly told me I would have fucked it up if I'd tried or kept going, so then I feel better about calling but its also $500+ gone.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

BTW Rass, I mean the shower itself, not the cartridge. When I screwed the plate thing that covers it all back onto the wall too tightly, I'd have a leak.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:37 am
Spent most of Saturday on the leaves and my leaf pile is epic. We have 7-8 very large trees either in our yard or adjacent. Only 2 still have leaves left, but they are huge trees, so... 2 weeks from now I'll get up on the roof and clear that and the rest of the yard and be done with it.

What's REALLY fucking annoying this year are the acorns. Fucking fuckers.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:39 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:37 am
Spent most of Saturday on the leaves and my leaf pile is epic. We have 7-8 very large trees either in our yard or adjacent. Only 2 still have leaves left, but they are huge trees, so... 2 weeks from now I'll get up on the roof and clear that and the rest of the yard and be done with it.

What's REALLY fucking annoying this year are the acorns. Fucking fuckers.
My first year in this house, my front yard was covered in acorns 6 inches high. Haven't had too many ever since, and no trees were removed on that side of the house. Completely forgot about that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

There was an article in the Post about the acorns. Something about the drought conditions are something. I didn't read it out of protest!
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I successfully changed out the flapper in the toilet (it wasn’t sealing anymore). Now, I feel like a real Mr. Fix-it he-man. But, sometimes, I’m almost as bad as this guy:
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I am always as bad as Nate.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So... GC and his plumbing supply experts are stumped. Best we/they can figure is that the leaky faucet was due to the bad/old cartridge, but the reduction in water pressure was something else. And whatever that something else is, it got worse during the work to take everything apart and replace the cartridge. Debris or something else in the plumbing? Cannot get a good flow to the faucet or the shower as-is.

So demo might start as early as today to take out the portion of the shower wall from the diverter to the faucet and replace the diverter and anything else as needed. Lucked into finding almost a perfect match of tile in stock at HD. And cheap, so if we need to buy extra to cut them all to match the existing size, we will.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

I have rarely identified with a comedian as much as I do here.

TL;DR: owning a home sucks.
sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:59 pm
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:50 am So... GC and his plumbing supply experts are stumped. Best we/they can figure is that the leaky faucet was due to the bad/old cartridge, but the reduction in water pressure was something else. And whatever that something else is, it got worse during the work to take everything apart and replace the cartridge. Debris or something else in the plumbing? Cannot get a good flow to the faucet or the shower as-is.

So demo might start as early as today to take out the portion of the shower wall from the diverter to the faucet and replace the diverter and anything else as needed. Lucked into finding almost a perfect match of tile in stock at HD. And cheap, so if we need to buy extra to cut them all to match the existing size, we will.
Come on, Rass! You should have demo'd the wall yourself to figure this one out. I used to be too afraid to try to do work on my own, but Youtube and general internet research has been fantastic. I wonder how big an impact that's had on professionals. I like trying to figure out how stuff works and most of the time, it's really simple once you see how it works. Plus I earn lots of points because my wife thinks it's sorcery. Her father is completely useless around the house, even when he was young. The man literally has never changed a light bulb. My MiL does some of that, but they called an electrician to change the lightbulb in a lamp because it wasn't the standard bulb she is used to. I was pissed they didn't call me as we live 15 minutes away. So she asked me to change an outdoor bulb that burned out approximately 45 years ago that they never got around to replacing. That thing was welded into place and they were afraid I'd break it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt