Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Home Repairs

Post by A_B »

Professionals may love it. The easy shit that probably isn't worth their time gets handled. Or it doesn't and they can come in and fix it at a premium. And otherwise they can spend time on bigger revenue jobs.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:46 am Professionals may love it. The easy shit that probably isn't worth their time gets handled. Or it doesn't and they can come in and fix it at a premium. And otherwise they can spend time on bigger revenue jobs.
Good point, and they probably get bigger jobs when people break stuff doing simple repairs.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:50 am So... GC and his plumbing supply experts are stumped. Best we/they can figure is that the leaky faucet was due to the bad/old cartridge, but the reduction in water pressure was something else. And whatever that something else is, it got worse during the work to take everything apart and replace the cartridge. Debris or something else in the plumbing? Cannot get a good flow to the faucet or the shower as-is.

So demo might start as early as today to take out the portion of the shower wall from the diverter to the faucet and replace the diverter and anything else as needed. Lucked into finding almost a perfect match of tile in stock at HD. And cheap, so if we need to buy extra to cut them all to match the existing size, we will.
Have you checked the pressure valves on the incoming water, and do both cold and hot water leak?

I'd have an actual plumber look at it before I started demo-ing the wall, that sounds kinda ridiculous to go there so quickly.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Seems it was the diverter, where the water supply lines and the plumbing that leads to the faucet and shower all come together right where I tried to replace the cartridge. Still not sure if I effed up completely or exacerbated an issue that was already there (and maybe avoided an emergency by doing this now)?

New one is nicer, with dedicated shutoffs so if this ever comes up again we don’t have to shut down the water to the whole house. Shower should be usable tomorrow.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:35 pm Seems it was the diverter, where the water supply lines and the plumbing that leads to the faucet and shower all come together right where I tried to replace the cartridge. Still not sure if I effed up completely or exacerbated an issue that was already there (and maybe avoided an emergency by doing this now)?

New one is nicer, with dedicated shutoffs so if this ever comes up again we don’t have to shut down the water to the whole house. Shower should be usable tomorrow.
Great, I'll stop by around noon. Should I bring my own towel?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Leave to towel and bring your log.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Last night I noticed a weird smell upstairs last night. Kind of a cross between burned microwave popcorn and burning rubber. Finally realized it was coming from inside the drier. My daughter ran laundry last night, and I'm trying to figure out if she melted something in the drier, or if the drier is burning. Running a load now to see if I can locate the issue. If you read about a house fire in my town, notify the fire department. Thanks in advance.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:14 pm Last night I noticed a weird smell upstairs last night. Kind of a cross between burned microwave popcorn and burning rubber. Finally realized it was coming from inside the drier. My daughter ran laundry last night, and I'm trying to figure out if she melted something in the drier, or if the drier is burning. Running a load now to see if I can locate the issue. If you read about a house fire in my town, notify the fire department. Thanks in advance.
Venting all clear?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:19 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:14 pm Last night I noticed a weird smell upstairs last night. Kind of a cross between burned microwave popcorn and burning rubber. Finally realized it was coming from inside the drier. My daughter ran laundry last night, and I'm trying to figure out if she melted something in the drier, or if the drier is burning. Running a load now to see if I can locate the issue. If you read about a house fire in my town, notify the fire department. Thanks in advance.
Venting all clear?
I disconnected and cleaned out the vent behind the drier about a month ago. Pulled out some lint, not too bad. Bigger issue I have in the winter is that the steam turns to water in the vent pipe as it runs through the attic. There is a dip in the line that can collect water, so I put a small hole and a bucket to drain it. I should probably have someone address that, but I don’t think that issue is related.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:14 pmIf you read about a house fire in my town, notify the fire department. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you have excellent local news.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:29 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:14 pmIf you read about a house fire in my town, notify the fire department. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you have excellent local news.
Yeah, but they're apparently assholes. "coming to you live from a house fire we didn't call the FD about, it's Moira Fier, WRSN"
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

We have $1500 in roof repairs going on this morning. This, after I just dropped my wife off for jury duty.

I guess that's one of the times where jury duty might be slightly preferable (to the sound of four guys stomping around your roof for what I'm guessing will be 5-6 hours).
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yeah, we had guys tromping on our roof a few weeks ago, and it drove the dog crazy all day.

This was to install solar panels. Our system went online last week - just in time for the Winter Solstice of course.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Door handle on my backdoor broke. Took the knob off and the mechanism has fallen apart.

Is this a major thing? Like do I need a whole new handle set, or can I simply replace the mechanisms?
Canadian International
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

if you buy a new door handle it may be easier to just install that in whole than trying to put your current one back together via a repair
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:10 am if you buy a new door handle it may be easier to just install that in whole than trying to put your current one back together via a repair
Most likely the case, depending on what happened with the old one and if you can even get a replacement for what you need.

Do you have a picture of your handle?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:54 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:10 am if you buy a new door handle it may be easier to just install that in whole than trying to put your current one back together via a repair
Most likely the case, depending on what happened with the old one and if you can even get a replacement for what you need.

Do you have a picture of your handle
?
Damn. That's a little forward.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Looks like he and his door are going to touch them.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm about to break my knob off
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Thanks for the pubes, Sean.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

cross between a spider and rat
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And a hog.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

oh hell yeah, got a ceiling crack going from the hall closet/pantry in the kitchen to the front wall by the door. textured ceiling too. I'm fairly sure it's because of the sustained below-zero temps we've had recently. time to cross off another accomplishment on the home repair list next week after another cold snap this weekend
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Unless you are doing something way above and beyond, which would be weird for door to the backyard... Just get a whole set and save yourself the hassle. Not that expensive, pretty easy install (as you probably already know, even if it was just disassembling it.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That was definitely the case. It was shockingly easy to do
Canadian International
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:50 am oh hell yeah, got a ceiling crack going from the hall closet/pantry in the kitchen to the front wall by the door. textured ceiling too. I'm fairly sure it's because of the sustained below-zero temps we've had recently. time to cross off another accomplishment on the home repair list next week after another cold snap this weekend
Cover your floors
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Any ideas why our master bed/bath/closet get so much colder than the rest of the house? We have the heater on and it's comfortable in the rest of the house, but about 20 degrees colder in there. The weird thing (to this idiot who knows nothing about home/car/any kind of repairs) is that I would expect the opposite to happen in the summer, but it doesn't. Yes, this has gone on for years and we've never done anything about it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:29 pm Any ideas why our master bed/bath/closet get so much colder than the rest of the house? We have the heater on and it's comfortable in the rest of the house, but about 20 degrees colder in there. The weird thing (to this idiot who knows nothing about home/car/any kind of repairs) is that I would expect the opposite to happen in the summer, but it doesn't. Yes, this has gone on for years and we've never done anything about it.
I have the same issue. I assume it's because the master is the last stop on the duct line. We also have a fun heat differential in my wife's office. First floor is the guestroom, which is tile directly on the concrete slab foundation. In the winter, the floors are very cold and the thermostat is downstairs. My wife's office in on the same furnace, but it heats to the temp of the downstairs room. We keep it set at 65, and it's freezing downstairs but gets up around 90 in her office. Had a couple HVAC people out, not much they can do. Only option is a dual thermostat and it'll go in-between the two temps, so if you set it at 65, it'd be 50 downstairs and 80 upstairs. If it worked. There is no flap in the ducts to adjust heat flow and closing the grates doesn't do much.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:53 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:29 pm Any ideas why our master bed/bath/closet get so much colder than the rest of the house? We have the heater on and it's comfortable in the rest of the house, but about 20 degrees colder in there. The weird thing (to this idiot who knows nothing about home/car/any kind of repairs) is that I would expect the opposite to happen in the summer, but it doesn't. Yes, this has gone on for years and we've never done anything about it.
I have the same issue. I assume it's because the master is the last stop on the duct line. We also have a fun heat differential in my wife's office. First floor is the guestroom, which is tile directly on the concrete slab foundation. In the winter, the floors are very cold and the thermostat is downstairs. My wife's office in on the same furnace, but it heats to the temp of the downstairs room. We keep it set at 65, and it's freezing downstairs but gets up around 90 in her office. Had a couple HVAC people out, not much they can do. Only option is a dual thermostat and it'll go in-between the two temps, so if you set it at 65, it'd be 50 downstairs and 80 upstairs. If it worked. There is no flap in the ducts to adjust heat flow and closing the grates doesn't do much.
Jeez, that sounds like a pain.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:21 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:53 pm
Jeez, that sounds like a pain.
She is always cold, so it isn't horrible, and she just cracks the window when it gets too hot. And we have a portable space heater when people are down there in the winter.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

1. Is the master bed/bath/closet on the second floor, and if so, is it above the garage?

2. Have you checked your attic to see if it’s insulated above the cold rooms? If so, is the insulation consistent throughout the attic?

3. What kind of heater do you have? A forced air furnace? Electric baseboards? If the former, do you have a cold air return in the bedroom? And if so, is there any furniture or other items blocking the airflow to the cold air return?
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

at the risk of this being a completely idiotic question (i just don't know) ...

what could/would be a reason that suddenly this winter in the finished part of our basement i'm getting water coming up from the ground? it's not on the walls but right in the middle of the floor i.e. through the shag (yeahbaby) carpet. it's fking freezing outside so i'd have thought everything would be frozen.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

could the basement floor have cracked underneath?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:48 am
1. Is the master bed/bath/closet on the second floor, and if so, is it above the garage?

2. Have you checked your attic to see if it’s insulated above the cold rooms? If so, is the insulation consistent throughout the attic?

3. What kind of heater do you have? A forced air furnace? Electric baseboards? If the former, do you have a cold air return in the bedroom? And if so, is there any furniture or other items blocking the airflow to the cold air return?
1. Yes.
2. No, but will check.
3. Not sure, but will check.

Appreciate it!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:11 am could the basement floor have cracked underneath?
Most likely. And the ground water probably isn't frozen. The ground retains heat.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

well...fuck.

can i ... just glue it?

(is there any chance this is a sump pump issue? we have one on the other side of the basement - the "ugly" side - although i've never seen any water there so i assume it's working...)

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:25 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:11 am could the basement floor have cracked underneath?
Most likely. And the ground water probably isn't frozen. The ground retains heat.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

have you seen/heard your sump go off? that's where I'd start to rule it out, anyway. worst case is you can pour some water down there to trigger the float
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

thanks bronto and syb - i'll start looking at shit seriously tonight :/
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the easiest fix in this case is that your sump isn't working and you just need to replace it and that solves the issue. I hope that's the play, anyway.

does your current one have a backup system/battery backup? it'd be rare if both pumps had failed if so.