2020: The Democratic Presidential Nomination Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: 2020: The Democratic Presidential Nomination Thread

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:42 pm Moderate dems are just sycophants who've allowed themselves to be pushed right by the idiots we have in control now so they can keep pretending that they're centrists. Stop it.

And yet, these "idiots" aren't voting against their own interests.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:21 pm Steve, how do you reconcile that to the Bernie or bust voters who live in far less privilege than the voter you're referring to, who are directly affected by Trump but won't settle for a half-measure?
I don't think I'm understanding exactly what you're asking. Aren't most Sanders supporters straight white males?

Also I'm not sure what to reconcile. If in fact "refusing to settle for a half-measure" means "refusing to support a moderate Dem against Trump," then it's easy - whatever that person's specific circumstances are, if he or she is refusing to support a moderate Dem against Trump, then he or she is making Trump more likely to win and exacerbating the plight of the millions of people I referred to.

Trump winning means expansion of the Muslim and Black Foreigner Ban and more voter suppression and deportation of thousands of people who've lived in the US basically their entire lives. Biden or Buttigieg or Bloomberg winning means an end to the ban and fights against voter suppression and protection of DACA folks. It doesn't matter how rich or poor the voter is.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:43 pm
Jerloma wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:40 pm Call it what is is...by moderate, you mean establishment dems. The kind that are going to make the rich richer and let corporation do whatever the fuck they want. Being for that seems like white privilege more than Bernie or bust.
And while I get that, when you are looking at Trump vs. Establishment Dem, I just don't see how anyone can allow 4 more years of Trump.

Keep fighting as progressives. You are winning. Somethings this stuff takes a few cycles.

But letting Trump win is a really shitty "protest" move.
Sorry. It just occurred to me that you guys are talking about not voting for the Dem candidate if Bernie loses. I agree. That's dumb. I thought you meant that the Democratic party shouldn't let him win.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:47 pmI don't think I'm understanding exactly what you're asking. Aren't most Sanders supporters straight white males?
Not really, check the Iowa demos.
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:47 pmAlso I'm not sure what to reconcile. If in fact "refusing to settle for a half-measure" means "refusing to support a moderate Dem against Trump," then it's easy - whatever that person's specific circumstances are, if he or she is refusing to support a moderate Dem against Trump, then he or she is making Trump more likely to win and exacerbating the plight of the millions of people I referred to.

Trump winning means expansion of the Muslim and Black Foreigner Ban and more voter suppression and deportation of thousands of people who've lived in the US basically their entire lives. Biden or Buttigieg or Bloomberg winning means an end to the ban and fights against voter suppression and protection of DACA folks. It doesn't matter how rich or poor the voter is.
I guess before I respond longer, does the reverse of this also hold? If you'd vote for Biden/Buttigieg/Bloomberg then you also have to vote for Sanders or else you're pro-Trump imposed suffering? Because it often seems like the middle is given free will to choose the side that works for them where the far left has a one way street requiring them to vote Dem without the Dems having a requirement to work with/for the left (or actively work in concert with the right against them).
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:22 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:47 pmI don't think I'm understanding exactly what you're asking. Aren't most Sanders supporters straight white males?
Not really, check the Iowa demos.
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:47 pmAlso I'm not sure what to reconcile. If in fact "refusing to settle for a half-measure" means "refusing to support a moderate Dem against Trump," then it's easy - whatever that person's specific circumstances are, if he or she is refusing to support a moderate Dem against Trump, then he or she is making Trump more likely to win and exacerbating the plight of the millions of people I referred to.

I guess before I respond longer, does the reverse of this also hold? If you'd vote for Biden/Buttigieg/Bloomberg then you also have to vote for Sanders or else you're pro-Trump imposed suffering? Because it often seems like the middle is given free will to choose the side that works for them where the far left has a one way street requiring them to vote Dem without the Dems having a requirement to work with/for the left (or actively work in concert with the right against them).
Interesting question, and you're definitely correct about the middle being given (more) free will to choose the side that works for them.

That being said, I'd argue yes. Yes, the middle needs to fucking swing left, if that's the case. Easy for me to write that as a Warren first, Sanders close second, Dem voter.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:22 pmI guess before I respond longer, does the reverse of this also hold? If you'd vote for Biden/Buttigieg/Bloomberg then you also have to vote for Sanders or else you're pro-Trump imposed suffering?
Absolutely it does. If Sanders wins the nomination I'll be sending him money and calling complete strangers on the telephone (which I absolutely despise doing).

Of course, I personally would love to see a Sanders presidency anyway. What I really don't want is a Sanders *loss* in a general election.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don't think you're pro-Trump imposed suffering if you don't vote for the Dem nominee, you just don't care if it continues to happen and that he'll be even more emboldened after re-election. How this question is still being asked after three years of his administration is almost as maddening as republicans getting pissed off at paper being torn.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Can't wait for four more years of this if mister d and Johnnie don't get their guy!

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Only Biden can save us!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

how is it so hard to grasp the reasoning that the least-best/worst/whatever term you prefer of the non-trump choices is still overwhelmingly better than the trump choice?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 pm I don't think you're pro-Trump imposed suffering if you don't vote for the Dem nominee, you just don't care if it continues to happen and that he'll be even more emboldened after re-election. How this question is still being asked after three years of his administration is almost as maddening as republicans getting pissed off at paper being torn.
Ok, and like I asked above, how do you reconcile that to poor/targeted people who will come out for Bernie and stay home otherwise?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

How is it hard to fucking grasp I'm voting blue no matter who? If Pete it Biden win the nomination, whatever. They have my vote.

The idea that a moderate Democrat will have a better chance at defeating Trump than a progressive one is a notion I fully fucking reject.

Sorry, I have to keep checking my privilege before I speak.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

#I'mWithHim
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:52 pm How is it hard to fucking grasp I'm voting blue no matter who? If Pete it Biden win the nomination, whatever. They have my vote.

The idea that a moderate Democrat will have a better chance at defeating Trump than a progressive one is a notion I fully fucking reject.

steve -- or anyone in this thread today -- didn't make that argument
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:50 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 pm I don't think you're pro-Trump imposed suffering if you don't vote for the Dem nominee, you just don't care if it continues to happen and that he'll be even more emboldened after re-election. How this question is still being asked after three years of his administration is almost as maddening as republicans getting pissed off at paper being torn.
Ok, and like I asked above, how do you reconcile that to poor/targeted people who will come out for Bernie and stay home otherwise?
I'm reconciling it by criticizing them for doing that. Maybe those poor/targeted are OK with being poor/targeted with zero hope unless it's their guy, I don't know. But I hope they are because that is what will happen if Trump wins again. And four more years of installing judges, abusing power, and doing whatever in their power to ensure the poor/targeted will always be poor/targeted.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:59 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:52 pm How is it hard to fucking grasp I'm voting blue no matter who? If Pete it Biden win the nomination, whatever. They have my vote.

And where exactly did I say I was Bernie or Bust?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

where the snowball started down the hill
Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:37 am
Quite frankly, I'd rather fail with a progressive than hope to succeed with a moderate. Nothing is for certain.
where the snowball somehow ended up after white males being privileged got mentioned
Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:40 pm Only Biden can save us!
ETA: my confusion comes with the offense taken to the fact that white male privilege exists for all white dudes and then how we got to that point quoted directly above but this thread also does go around and around in circles on this general subject anyway
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:43 pm
Jerloma wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:40 pm Call it what is is...by moderate, you mean establishment dems. The kind that are going to make the rich richer and let corporation do whatever the fuck they want. Being for that seems like white privilege more than Bernie or bust.
And while I get that, when you are looking at Trump vs. Establishment Dem, I just don't see how anyone can allow 4 more years of Trump.

Keep fighting as progressives. You are winning. Somethings this stuff takes a few cycles.

But letting Trump win is a really shitty "protest" move.
Sorry. It just occurred to me that you guys are talking about not voting for the Dem candidate if Bernie loses. I agree. That's dumb. I thought you meant that the Democratic party shouldn't let him win.

Oh, FUCK NO.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It does go around and around.

The idea on this board is that a moderate Democrat has the better shot at taking out Trump than a progressive one.

But I feel, since nothing is for certain, that the progressive is better. And, in my opinion, you're only hoping to succeed if the moderate takes the nomination because Clinton, Kerry, and Gore were straight trash.

So I'd rather it be a progressive since, if the moderate looks like a loser to me, then failing with a progressive is a better shot. Because if you're going to fail, fail by being aggressive.

Why that means I have white male privilege is beyond me.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie - The entire conversation around White Privilege is out the door once you (re)stipulate that you'd vote for a moderate if it came to that.

Classic dumb message board debate. Would've been squashed drinking in a bar when someone put their hand up to clarify this point.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Isolated strictly to personal gains those who are in the bottom 25% of income would see from this field, I'm curious where people think Pete or Biden would fall if Trump is a 0 and Bernie would be a 10.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:59 pm

For the record, while I may not have said it today, I do believe that. 24 percent of people in the US consider themselves liberal, 35 percent moderate, and 37 percent conservative.

(https://news.gallup.com/poll/275792/rem ... -2019.aspx)

Moving to the part of the spectrum where fewer voters live - and drawing stronger resistance from the area where the most voters live - is not a winning strategy. If someone is aware of studies showing that it is, I'd love to see them. I've seen several links to studies and reports saying the opposite.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So if the Republicans are supposed to work for the right to far right and the Dems are supposed to make sure they don't offend the center ...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:31 pm Isolated strictly to personal gains those who are in the bottom 25% of income would see from this field, I'm curious where people think Pete or Biden would fall if Trump is a 0 and Bernie would be a 10.
If you're talking about actual gains that the bottom 25% would get if one of those were elected President, then on a 0-10 scale Bernie would be like a 4, and Pete or Biden would be like a 3.8. 51 Bernies in the Senate and 218 Bernies in the House would be a 10.

That's another critical angle - the stuff I was ranting about before is a lot more susceptible to executive and judicial action. The real big economic reforms that Sanders and Warren are talking about all require legislative action, i.e., approval from Joe Manchin (at best).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:42 pm So if the Republicans are supposed to work for the right to far right and the Dems are supposed to make sure they don't offend the center ...
Republicans get elected by persuading the right and far right on social issues and enough right-leaning moderates on economic issues (and still only get minority support but it's enough because of the electoral college).

Republicans don't run for president claiming that they will cut Social Security and Medicare and make college less affordable.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like those two posts, back to back, highlight the problem. Republicans set the agenda and lead their voters whereas the idea of anyone but a "moderate" steering the left and middle to the gains of the left and middle is seen as preposterous. Its all tentative "what might the hypothetical most center person in the country say if forced to react" versus driving change, even if that change doesn't start at 50.01+%.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:20 pm Truth hurts?

Not trying to be an asshole, but what about Steve's post isn't true?
The implication that if Bernie is the nominee that he'll lose. And also that Johnnie is "Bernie or bust" despite his saying many times that he is not.

If you really want to win the election (and let's be clear, everyone currently posting in The Swamp wants a Democrat to win), it might make sense to go with the guy who's been surging nationally and leading in several polls now. Bernie isn't a niche candidate.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:56 pm I feel like those two posts, back to back, highlight the problem. Republicans set the agenda and lead their voters whereas the idea of anyone but a "moderate" steering the left and middle to the gains of the left and middle is seen as preposterous. Its all tentative "what might the hypothetical most center person in the country say if forced to react" versus driving change, even if that change doesn't start at 50.01+%.
You may be correct, but if in fact the electorate is more conservative than liberal, that's the playing field we have to play on. Losing elections doesn't really help anything. Winning elections and getting through as much reform as possible, so that even conservative people realize those were good ideas, is the way. That's what happened with the New Deal programs, Medicare, CHIP, and the 2010 law that barred health insurers from rejecting coverage or charging higher premiums due to pre-existing conditions. People who call themselves "conservative" now support all of those.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:59 pm

And also that Johnnie is "Bernie or bust" despite his saying many times that he is not.
If Johnnie said that many times before, then I apologize. I read his statement about how he'd rather fail with a progressive, and to me, the whole idea of another four years of Trump just terrifies me deeply.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:12 pm
Shirley wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:59 pm

And also that Johnnie is "Bernie or bust" despite his saying many times that he is not.
If Johnnie said that many times before, then I apologize. I read his statement about how he'd rather fail with a progressive, and to me, the whole idea of another four years of Trump just terrifies me deeply.
He thinks I'm Canadian, so I think you can be excused your misreading or lack of awareness of his previous statements.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m more convinced that ever this next election will be a repeat of 1972 especially if Bernie is playing the role of George McGovern
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:47 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:21 pm Steve, how do you reconcile that to the Bernie or bust voters who live in far less privilege than the voter you're referring to, who are directly affected by Trump but won't settle for a half-measure?
I don't think I'm understanding exactly what you're asking. Aren't most Sanders supporters straight white males?
This isn’t remotely true. I believe the majority of Sanders supporters are actually women. And he’s second to Biden for African-American support and absolutely dominated with Latinos, Muslims and other minority voters in Iowa.

ETA:
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I found a site saying 61% of Sanders’ donations were from men. It had a pretty detailed breakdown. I’ll see if I can find it again.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:27 pm I found a site saying 61% of Sanders’ donations were from men. It had a pretty detailed breakdown. I’ll see if I can find it again.
Even if that’s true “donors” and “supporters” are not synonymous. And I’d also like to see how 61%, if true, compares to others in the race. Because based on voting and polling support we know that Sanders has substantially more support from minority voters than Buttigieg or Warren. Only Biden exceeds him and that gap appears to be closing. I also think the efforts to pigeonhole Sanders as a candidate for “straight white men” are ridiculous given that 1.) he was waaaaay out in front of the party on gay rights issues—Sanders organized gay rights parades in the 1980s as mayor of Burlington, back when Warren was a Reagan Republican and 2.) having a Jewish President would have meaningful historic significance.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

This isn’t the same site, but here’s another breakdown.

https://publicintegrity.org/politics/de ... er-places/

For Sanders, at least 52% of donors are men, and they account for at least 57% of his donations. Women are 41% of donors and 37% of dollars. (I guess they’re going by names so they can’t tell everyone.)

So it’s not a crazy breakdown. (Certainly different from how the breakdown appears online. Once again, Twitter isn’t real life.)

But he’s the only top candidate with more male donors than female.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

This was the site I found earlier. More detail - but also it's several months out of date.

https://prospect.org/power/wealthy-whit ... al-donors/

Joe, I didn't say that Sanders only cares about white men. Rather, that most of the folks who support Sanders - especially those who are in so deep that they talk about not voting if he's the nominee - are white men.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:18 pm This was the site I found earlier. More detail - but also it's several months out of date.

Joe, I didn't say that Sanders only cares about white men. Rather, that most of the folks who support Sanders - especially those who are in so deep that they talk about not voting if he's the nominee - are white men.
The first link you posted, which is less than a week old, shows that Sanders is second to only Yang in highest percentage of donations from racially diverse zip codes. So the “white men” part is still flat out wrong.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I never fully understood that, and maybe its just me, but I wouldn't think straight white males would be the target demographic for american socialism. Just feels like two different angles of attack.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Joe K wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:18 pm This was the site I found earlier. More detail - but also it's several months out of date.

The first link you posted, which is less than a week old, shows that Sanders is second to only Yang in highest percentage of donations from racially diverse zip codes. So the “white men” part is still flat out wrong.
Gentrification and hipsters. I hear zero black folks talking up Bernie.