Thanksgiving (USA-style) 2018

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Thanksgiving (USA-style) 2018

Post by HaulCitgo »

Liking the brussel sprouts ideas. Would like a tiny bit of sweetness to go with the bacon.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I like a little bacon and honey/syrup on a roasted brussel sprout.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brussel sprouts make it smell like the house farted

they taste fine, but sometimes i just can't get past the notion I'm riding through Gary, IN.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Picking up my mom (all right, driving about 60% of the way, as she has a friend who will drive her the balance and meet us) and bringing her up to the house for the week (Monday to Monday, anyway).

She got her hip replaced in August, but is doing well with the recovery. Since my step-father passed away a little over 2 1/2 years ago, I've put forth a concerted effort to due whatever is necessary to enable her to spend more time with our kids.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:13 pm Picking up my mom (all right, driving about 60% of the way, as she has a friend who will drive her the balance and meet us) and bringing her up to the house for the week (Monday to Monday, anyway).

She got her hip replaced in August, but is doing well with the recovery. Since my step-father passed away a little over 2 1/2 years ago, I've put forth a concerted effort to due whatever is necessary to enable her to spend more time with our kids.
That's nice. I think it's good for kids to have fond memories of their grandparents.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:17 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:13 pm Picking up my mom (all right, driving about 60% of the way, as she has a friend who will drive her the balance and meet us) and bringing her up to the house for the week (Monday to Monday, anyway).

That's nice. I think it's good for kids to have fond memories of their grandparents.
Yeah, getting her to understand that I am willing to drive the full distance (400 miles) both ways seems to be the last hurdle, as she seems resistant to that part. With her mobility improving, particularly at the pace it has, I think my biggest concern about the visit is trying to keep our almost five-year-old son from giving her a hug that starts with him crashing into her.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm not sure your family dynamics, but "grandma has a fake hip!" became a caution, a rallying cry and a taunt from my kids. Managed to avoid them causing any damage.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.