2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by brian »

Hate that I know what bar OJ is at in that pic.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

LOL

THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Joe K wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:07 am

Luck seems smart enough, and curious enough about areas outside football for this decision to make sense.

... But this never would’ve happened if Luck just joined up with Alex Guerrero and gave up tomatoes and table salt.

Obviously these still would have happened but...I'm not eating tomatoes anymore either and it's actually helped a lot (everything in conjunction, not just the tomatoes).
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's excellent.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:45 am

Obviously these still would have happened but...I'm not eating tomatoes anymore either and it's actually helped a lot (everything in conjunction, not just the tomatoes).
Conversely, all the people I know who grow tomatoes are having a bumper crop so I am eating the Shizz out out some homegrown tomatoes.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I'm not a big tomato eater, but my wife has a bumper crop in her garden. She and my daughter eat home-grown tomatos every day. They seem very healthy.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Eating a homegrown tomato with my lunch. Molto bene.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't want to threadjack but is this tomato thing really a thing? I figured it was some dipshit Tom Brady thing like everyone eating with their eyes closed because that's what Tom Brady's nutritionist tells him to do, but tomatoes are supposedly unhealthy? I'm not buying that shit.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 am I don't want to threadjack but is this tomato thing really a thing? I figured it was some dipshit Tom Brady thing like everyone eating with their eyes closed because that's what Tom Brady's nutritionist tells him to do, but tomatoes are supposedly unhealthy? I'm not buying that shit.
If I recall correctly, the anti-tomato argument is because tomatoes are part of the nightshade family of plants. Some nightshade plants are very poisonous and can kill. Edible nightshade plants include eggplant, bell peppers, some chili peppers, potatoes and blueberries. Interestingly enough, I've never heard eating any of those plants is harmful to your health.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It's all a scam propagated by Big McCandless.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Sabo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:34 am
brian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:01 am I don't want to threadjack but is this tomato thing really a thing? I figured it was some dipshit Tom Brady thing like everyone eating with their eyes closed because that's what Tom Brady's nutritionist tells him to do, but tomatoes are supposedly unhealthy? I'm not buying that shit.
If I recall correctly, the anti-tomato argument is because tomatoes are part of the nightshade family of plants. Some nightshade plants are very poisonous and can kill. Edible nightshade plants include eggplant, bell peppers, some chili peppers, potatoes and blueberries. Interestingly enough, I've never heard eating any of those plants is harmful to your health.
I ate every single one of those foods this past weekend. Surprised I’m still alive.

Every time an athlete attributes unusual longevity or a spike in performance to a change in diet, I automatically suspect that they’re just doping and using the diet as a cover story.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If he's willing to deflate footballs for a perceived advantage I'm sure there's about a 1 percent chance Brady isn't doping. But that's an interesting point. I also just figured he was trying to sell his magic water to credulous dopes, but that's another ancillary benefit.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm fully expecting a Brady doping scandal when all is said and done.

I've been around so many people who take nutrition extremely seriously for themselves and never has there been a wonder diet that made everything perfect.

There have been gimmicks, sure (MCT oil/butter coffee anyone?) but it always comes down to eating proportionally (calories/macros) and cutting excess/processed foods (HFCS most importantly).

The special pajamas and avocado ice cream every once in a while (along with the stated water and nightshade stuff) was meant to sell a book.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The most overlooked part of everything Brady is just how creepy he is. Jeter was cold and clearly full of shit, but he wasn't creepy. Brady is creepy as fuck to watch try to interact at all without a helmet on.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Well one school of thought is (almost) anything with seeds, particularly when not in season. I mean it could be complete BS, but I'm inclined to believe that something is up when we are more health-focused than ever before, yet everyone is fat as shit and has diabetes.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Sabo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:34 am

Yep. That's it and yes all of those things are supposed to be bad. It's not that they kill immediately, but supposedly they throw off our digestive and immune systems.

It could be a complete crock but I do know that whatever we have been saying for as long as I can remember ain't working and the FDA allows some insane shit to get onto the "heart healthy" and similar lists.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:11 pm... we are more health-focused than ever before, yet everyone is fat as shit and has diabetes.
I think this just means people are more aware they eat like shit, not that they're eating healthier. The amount of chemicals and preservatives people ingest can't be decreasing, can it?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:13 pm I'm fully expecting a Brady doping scandal when all is said and done.

I've been around so many people who take nutrition extremely seriously for themselves and never has there been a wonder diet that made everything perfect.

There have been gimmicks, sure (MCT oil/butter coffee anyone?) but it always comes down to eating proportionally (calories/macros) and cutting excess/processed foods (HFCS most importantly).

The special pajamas and avocado ice cream every once in a while (along with the stated water and nightshade stuff) was meant to sell a book.

He ain't the only one selling that book. There are a few variations of it apparently but they all seem to suggest cutting out fruit. The most popular one is called Plant Paradox. It seems insanely restrictive but of course cutting out processed foods is part of any diet worth putting any stock into.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:24 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:11 pm... we are more health-focused than ever before, yet everyone is fat as shit and has diabetes.
I think this just means people are more aware they eat like shit, not that they're eating healthier. The amount of chemicals and preservatives people ingest can't be decreasing, can it?
No, it's almost certainly increasing. But we still knew jack shit about nutrition before like the '60s and '70s and yet many people that do eat "well" have myriad health problems. I think there's something to it, even if it's been wildly overstated. Avoiding fruit, wheat and all processed foods is probably what Brady is doing. It's fuckin' hard I'm sure so I'm not going to call it a "fad diet" like Johnnie suggested.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I will not be surprised that if Todd Gurley gets through a season without his knee issues from last year (which have been speculated to be arthritic), that it comes out that he changed his diet.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"I've been eating nothing but Hungry Man brand microwavable dinners since the night after we lost the super bowl. Its made a world of difference."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Then maybe the fad is putting his own spin on the diet.

From what I gathered of it, he was weird about certain foods and didn't eat things that numerous other people do.

Otherwise lean protein, limited fruit, all the veggies -- especially green ones, lots of water, sleep, self control, and macro measuring is literally what CrossFit told me to do years ago.

So, whatever.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:03 pm Then maybe the fad is putting his own spin on the diet.

From what I gathered of it, he was weird about certain foods and didn't eat things that numerous other people do.

Otherwise lean protein, limited fruit, all the veggies -- especially green ones, lots of water, sleep, self control, and macro measuring is literally what CrossFit told me to do years ago.

So, whatever.
And Tom Brady is doing literally that but cutting out things with seeds (which are technically fruits) and sugar. And caffeine.

It's not crazy until you get to the concussion water.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:48 pm "I've been eating nothing but Hungry Man brand microwavable dinners since the night after we lost the super bowl. Its made a world of difference."
Well we have known for awhile that meat can affect the joints so I'd advise against that Todd.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Think you can draw a pretty straight line from all of the guys who have retired early from Jim Brown to Barry Sanders to Robert Smith to Calvin Johnson to Andrew Luck in that they're all exceptionally smart and all had multiple interests away from the football field.

Compare that with someone like Brady or Brett Favre or Peyton Manning, all of whom hung on forever, all of whom are intelligent about football certainly, but all of whom have no apparent interests outside of the game.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:26 pm Think you can draw a pretty straight line from all of the guys who have retired early from Jim Brown to Barry Sanders to Robert Smith to Calvin Johnson to Andrew Luck in that they're all exceptionally smart and all had multiple interests away from the football field.

Compare that with someone like Brady or Brett Favre or Peyton Manning, all of whom hung on forever, all of whom are intelligent about football certainly, but all of whom have no apparent interests outside of the game.
Robert Smith, though referenced in articles on this topic, isn't in the same league as the others. Sanders and Megatron dealt with a bullshit team and ownership their entire careers. They both were at the top of the game for a lot, if not all, their career. Robert Smith? Not so much. So the common denominator isn't interest off the field. If that's the case, Manning had more investments off the field than pretty much anyone before him.

Jim Brown is in a category all on his own and shouldn't even be in this conversation either. Anyone bringing him in to this discussion is doing him a huge disservice.

Luck has options and chose to walkaway to ensure he can live on for a longer time. Though his injuries he already endured may make his retirement less than comfortable despite all the luxuries his nine-figure career earnings will provide.
oh shit...
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Jacoby Brissett time. Best shot at a 10 year career. Show something and he can ride it for backup contracts forever. My kids teammate left town for his dad to be the QB coach at Indy. Guy has to be sweating it now. Good luck brother.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Calvin Johnson also had a ton of nagging injuries, similarly to Luck. Brady has been relatively healthy outside of one season. But he does also seem to live and die for football.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm Jacoby Brissett time. Best shot at a 10 year career. Show something and he can ride it for backup contracts forever. My kids teammate left town for his dad to be the QB coach at Indy. Guy has to be sweating it now. Good luck brother.
I really think that in that scheme he's gonna put up huge numbers. He won't be Luck obviously but in 2017 that team was almost universally considered the worst roster in the NFL without Luck, and while they went 4-12 or whatever they were remarkably competitive each week.

This is just some random guy but he's got a lot of info to back up calling Brissett the best deep ball QB in 2017:

https://brickwallblitz.com/2018/03/28/t ... l-project/
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

teeteebee wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:33 pm
brian wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:26 pm Think you can draw a pretty straight line from all of the guys who have retired early from Jim Brown to Barry Sanders to Robert Smith to Calvin Johnson to Andrew Luck in that they're all exceptionally smart and all had multiple interests away from the football field.

Robert Smith, though referenced in articles on this topic, isn't in the same league as the others. Sanders and Megatron dealt with a bullshit team and ownership their entire careers. They both were at the top of the game for a lot, if not all, their career. Robert Smith? Not so much. So the common denominator isn't interest off the field. If that's the case, Manning had more investments off the field than pretty much anyone before him.

Jim Brown is in a category all on his own and shouldn't even be in this conversation either. Anyone bringing him in to this discussion is doing him a huge disservice.

Luck has options and chose to walkaway to ensure he can live on for a longer time. Though his injuries he already endured may make his retirement less than comfortable despite all the luxuries his nine-figure career earnings will provide.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. And you’re wrong, by the way.
Noli Timere Messorem
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:36 am
teeteebee wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:33 pm

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. And you’re wrong, by the way.
I will put my aptitude and knowledge up against yours any day.

Also, wrong on what count?
oh shit...
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Robert Smith doesn’t belong in the conversation of NFL players who walked away from the game with plenty of gas left in the tank, because his team wasn’t as shitty? That’s laughable. And nobody’s confusing Smith with Barry Sanders or (gasp) Jim Brown. Still, he left the sport as a 28 year old after a season where he amassed 1869 yards from scrimmage.

Walking away from the game with a significant amount of gas left in the tank is the thread, and why is the thousand dollar question that keeps NFL executives up at night.
Noli Timere Messorem
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:51 am Robert Smith doesn’t belong in the conversation of NFL players who walked away from the game with plenty of gas left in the tank, because his team wasn’t as shitty? That’s laughable. And nobody’s confusing Smith with Barry Sanders or (gasp) Jim Brown. Still, he left the sport as a 28 year old after a season where he amassed 1869 yards from scrimmage.

Walking away from the game with a significant amount of gas left in the tank is the thread, and why is the thousand dollar question that keeps NFL executives up at night.
The thread is offseason 2019. The topic covers more than players retiring prematurely. One argument is a handful of players retired early because they had off field interests.

Could add Gale Sayers to this list as well and he’d be better situated than Robert Smith.

Luck is retiring due to injuries he sustained and the physical/mental tax he continued to pay.

Megatron had serious injuries as well. Both he and Sanders acknowledged a large contributing factor was their teams poor performance.

Luck didn’t have that issue. His team was fine.

Manning stuck around because he didn’t want to stop playing football. Not because he lacked off field interests. Brady continues to play because he can still do so at an elite level. His wife makes more money than he does and could have rode off into the sunset, with plenty of post career options, many years ago. Favre? Not sure, perhaps dick pics were a successful path for him, until they weren’t. And Wrangler commercials could be taped on off days.

End of the day, kudos to Luck for walking away while he still can.
oh shit...
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:57 am
HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:15 pm Jacoby Brissett time. Best shot at a 10 year career. Show something and he can ride it for backup contracts forever. My kids teammate left town for his dad to be the QB coach at Indy. Guy has to be sweating it now. Good luck brother.
I really think that in that scheme he's gonna put up huge numbers. He won't be Luck obviously but in 2017 that team was almost universally considered the worst roster in the NFL without Luck, and while they went 4-12 or whatever they were remarkably competitive each week.

This is just some random guy but he's got a lot of info to back up calling Brissett the best deep ball QB in 2017:

https://brickwallblitz.com/2018/03/28/t ... l-project/
Brissett was also shoved into the starting role about a week after arriving last time (traded there on Sept 2, started Sept 10). He's been around since and coach Frank Reich is viewed by many as one of the better offensive minds in the league.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

teeteebee wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:11 am
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:51 am Robert Smith doesn’t belong in the conversation of NFL players who walked away from the game with plenty of gas left in the tank, because his team wasn’t as shitty? That’s laughable. And nobody’s confusing Smith with Barry Sanders or (gasp) Jim Brown. Still, he left the sport as a 28 year old after a season where he amassed 1869 yards from scrimmage.

The thread is offseason 2019. The topic covers more than players retiring prematurely. One argument is a handful of players retired early because they had off field interests.

Could add Gale Sayers to this list as well and he’d be better situated than Robert Smith.

Luck is retiring due to injuries he sustained and the physical/mental tax he continued to pay.

Megatron had serious injuries as well. Both he and Sanders acknowledged a large contributing factor was their teams poor performance.

Luck didn’t have that issue. His team was fine.

Manning stuck around because he didn’t want to stop playing football. Not because he lacked off field interests. Brady continues to play because he can still do so at an elite level. His wife makes more money than he does and could have rode off into the sunset, with plenty of post career options, many years ago. Favre? Not sure, perhaps dick pics were a successful path for him, until they weren’t. And Wrangler commercials could be taped on off days.

End of the day, kudos to Luck for walking away while he still can.
Thread as in common denominator. Gale Sayers? Dude had to be told to stop playing football, and at any rate he was diagnosed with dementia like 5 years ago. Not sure where he fits into this at all.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was just listening to Steve Tasker on Buffalo sports radio and he listed his injuries and mentioned that some of his best friends in football died young while others are suffering mental issues and physical difficulties.

He insists that given the choice, he'd have played every single football game he ever had the opportunity to play.

While it is easy for him to say as he luckily has his faculties intact at 57, it was interesting to hear. And he wasn;t sugar coating things either.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."