2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by sancarlos »

I've heard a lot of people ripping on Luck, primarily for two things - The timing so soon before the season opener, and B) the fact that he took a big roster bonus a few months ago.

I think the first answer to both things is that a few months ago, he anticipated he would be able to play this season. Now, after the lack of healing of his injuries, that looked very unlikely. People who criticize the timing of his retirement ignore the fact that he was unlikely to play this season anyway. And, also, rather than cast him as a taker of the Colts' largesse, I'd cast him as a guy who was magnanimous to such a large degree that he is passing on a large roster bonus he was soon to receive, as well as walking away from his large salary for this season. He easily could have gone on season-ending IR, collected salary and bonus, and then retired at the end of the season, thus costing the Colts a lot of money.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:00 pm I was just listening to Steve Tasker on Buffalo sports radio and he listed his injuries and mentioned that some of his best friends in football died young while others are suffering mental issues and physical difficulties.

He insists that given the choice, he'd have played every single football game he ever had the opportunity to play.

While it is easy for him to say as he luckily has his faculties intact at 57, it was interesting to hear. And he wasn;t sugar coating things either.

I mean, it IS easy for someone in that position to say when they aren't suffering any ill effects. It's like a guy who didn't get a DUI saying he doesn't regret driving last night.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

None of those Tasker type comments matter if there isn’t a follow-up about letting their son or grandson play. That’s when it all falls apart for a lot of football fans.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

With Luck and now hearing this from Gronk, it's just sad knowing what so many of these players are going through and Luck and Gronk are the lucky ones, besides all the money they have, they have good support systems and show off field intelligence. But thinking about all the former college and pro players that don't make it, with no money and no education suffering through pain, I'm surprised more don't get arrested.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/274 ... nging-down
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I didn't even think about that angle...if the NFL thinks that maybe Andrew Luck would have played longer if he could smoke weeds, that rule's gonna get changed.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:16 pm I didn't even think about that angle...if the NFL thinks that maybe Andrew Luck would have played longer if he could smoke weeds, that rule's gonna get changed.
But what about the fact that some states allow medical marijuana and other states do not? If the NFL is cool with it, doesn't that disturb the perception of "a level playing field"?

Not saying I agree with this point of view, but I could see it coming up.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:19 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:16 pm I didn't even think about that angle...if the NFL thinks that maybe Andrew Luck would have played longer if he could smoke weeds, that rule's gonna get changed.
But what about the fact that some states allow medical marijuana and other states do not? If the NFL is cool with it, doesn't that disturb the perception of "a level playing field"?

Not saying I agree with this point of view, but I could see it coming up.
I think taking away additional NFL punishments for possession arrests and failing tests would be fair, but it probably would piss off a lot of politicians they have to kiss up to. I don't know about the fairness issues with different laws in different states -- there are already so many differences in state laws, I don't think the difference in pot laws would mean much.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:26 pm None of those Tasker type comments matter if there isn’t a follow-up about letting their son or grandson play. That’s when it all falls apart for a lot of football fans.
He actually went on to say that all 4 of his sons played football - and a few started at a younger age than he did.

Very gung ho.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:08 pm I've heard a lot of people ripping on Luck, primarily for two things - The timing so soon before the season opener, and B) the fact that he took a big roster bonus a few months ago.

I think the first answer to both things is that a few months ago, he anticipated he would be able to play this season. Now, after the lack of healing of his injuries, that looked very unlikely. People who criticize the timing of his retirement ignore the fact that he was unlikely to play this season anyway. And, also, rather than cast him as a taker of the Colts' largesse, I'd cast him as a guy who was magnanimous to such a large degree that he is passing on a large roster bonus he was soon to receive, as well as walking away from his large salary for this season. He easily could have gone on season-ending IR, collected salary and bonus, and then retired at the end of the season, thus costing the Colts a lot of money.
Regarding the Colts not opting to try to get him to return whatever portion of his signing bonus they could, you can very easily make the case that, even though they have paid him nearly $110 million in his career (including a $12 million roster bonus earlier this year), he has been significantly underpaid.

Regarding marijuana, it would seem like they could easily agree to remove it from their drug testing program and change their policy to reflect legality from state-to-state. But, its NFL owners and NFLPA, so "easily agree" is a completely subjective term.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The owners will dangle legal weed as a bargaining chip to get the PA to not study the effects of concussions or some dark shit like that instead of just doing the right thing.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

George Halas, very likely racist.

Don't worry, lots of other legendary NFL owners get mentioned, too.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Coming soon to the homes of several Swampers. Buy your Pliability shirts now
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Someone’s gonna have to translate that from Patriot-to-English for me.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Legitimately not trying to be a dick and I still don’t get it.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

He's opening sport centers. A Foxboro one has been open for the last few years and one in Boston just opened: https://tb12sports.com/services/tb12-boston. The thing I posted listed other cities it's going to. The Pliability shirt is something my friends and I goof on, and I forgot it hasn't been a Swamp joke (kind of the opposite when I joke with my friends about emailing my brother).

I actually enjoy some of the TB12 blog posts about fitness stuff as I ignore way too many references about how I should buy their overpriced products
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I need J-Lo to weigh in on whether selling pliability shirts with those postures counts are irony.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Thanks. That’s what I was asking for. Brady training centers is genius. I can’t decide if that guy is the fucking smartest dumb guy or dumbest smart guy in the world.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My God - have you seen the Patriots' schedule?

They don't play a playoff team until week 9 and finish with the Bengals, Bills and Dolphins.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:31 am My God - have you seen the Patriots' schedule?

They don't play a playoff team until week 9 and finish with the Bengals, Bills and Dolphins.
Pretty brutal closing stretch. They better have the playoff spot locked up before those three games.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:31 am My God - have you seen the Patriots' schedule?

Not that they haven't had some decent teams, but they basically get a bye into the playoffs and home field advantage every year from playing in such a horrible division.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am

Not that they haven't had some decent teams, but they basically get a bye into the playoffs and home field advantage every year from playing in such a horrible division.
That's the right answer.

Outside of 3 games, NFL schedules are largely predetermined year to year.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Fine, I'll do it.

Their out-of-division record since 2003 is as close to 2nd place Pittsburgh as Pittsburgh's is to 29th place Detroit. They'd get a bye in whatever division you put them in. Thank you.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am
This an oft-repeated trope that is entirely incorrect. Since 2003, the Patriots have basically the same winning percentage in the AFCE as they do against the rest of the NFL [.788 vs..786.] If you want to crap on teams that make the playoffs because of the easy division that would be the Steelers, Colts, Packers, 49ers, & Seahawks who have the largest discrepancy between their out of in-division and vs the rest of the NFL records.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Someone touched a nerve.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I mean the AFCE hasn't been great, but it's not like the Packers kicking the shit out of the Lions since the 90s.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I wasn;t implying that the Pats are a lucky team for playing in a perpetually shitty division. But circumstances this year have given all the AFC East teams an easy ride.

For the Bills, substitute the Titans and Broncos for the Texans and Chiefs.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:51 am Outside of 3 games, NFL schedules are largely predetermined year to year.
Every season I have to read about Raider fans bitching that the NFL screws them on their schedule. Despite the fact that, as Johnnie noted, the schedule is just an academic exercise. And the writers who discuss their schedule never even mention it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:07 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:51 am Outside of 3 games, NFL schedules are largely predetermined year to year.
Every season I have to read about Raider fans bitching that the NFL screws them on their schedule. Despite the fact that, as Johnnie noted, the schedule is just an academic exercise. And the writers who discuss their schedule never even mention it.
You can figure out any team's opponents for the coming season as soon as the final whistle sounds in week 17. I have a feeling that some NFL writers still don;t understand that.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The only thing that can be bitched about is the way the games are placed in the schedule / travel, etc.

Except for the Donkey's schedule, of course, they seem to have 16 home games every year.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:10 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:07 pm
You can figure out any team's opponents for the coming season as soon as the final whistle sounds in week 17. I have a feeling that some NFL writers still don;t understand that.
Agreed. In fact, I definitely have seen teams have "next year's opponents" posts on social media during that week to start generating buzz for the following season. You'd think these writers would notice, but it's easier to play the "NFL screwed me! Hurr Durr!" card than to actually look it up.

Hell, I found out about the rotating schedule because when I moved to Arizona I wanted to see who the Cardinals were playing and maybe catch a game. Some website showed the formula and I was pleasantly surprised by it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

God help me - I think the Bills can win 9 games this year.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You can find out 14 of the 16 games every year for the next several years today.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Tangental to the Biden QB comparisons...

Read on Deadspin yesterday that the Chargers have had Fouts or Rivers as QBs for 30 of the last 45 years and the QB who got them to the Super Bowl was Stan Humphries.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yo, this Gronk stuff is fucking depressing. I don't blame him one bit for getting paid and getting retired.

I'm pretty sure I'll cry if I read he takes his life for CTE reasons.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And like a day after a "Tunsil for Clowney" trade would cause a mutiny, Tunsil gets sent to Houston for a haul.

BEGIN THE MUTINY.

Clowney went to the Seahawks, btw.

Also:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nice trade for the Dolphins.

But man - they are going to suck so bad this year.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

On the Air Force subreddit someone posted this hilarious take on the "Casual LT." (Lieutenant)

Turns out it was adapted from the NFL subreddit two years ago in a thread roasting the New England Patriots. It's fucking gold.
(Which itself was adapted from the Protect and Serve subreddit about being a cop.)