Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: So first we are paying kids to play for us and now they pay us

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:45 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:39 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 am
brian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:18 pm No it’s on Reddit so you can trust it more. That’s how it works.
Well, to be fair, other than Deadspin, I didn't see that level of detail anywhere else. And like I said, it might take until today/tomorrow for everyone to get past Full House and Desperate Housewives-level of coverage. But there's a lot of really fascinating shit in that indictment and 99 percent of the coverage either barely touched on it, or basically got a lot of the story wrong yesterday.
must. not. have. looked. too. hard.
You're really inviting an asshole response, but I'll just say I spent a pretty decent amount of time on mainstream sources yesterday and the level of coverage was thin.
you're really inviting an asshole response, but I'll just say I provided six links on the same mainstream source website today that has a very strong connection to the swamp

seriously, I'm not sure what the *appropriate* way is to tell someone "you're inviting an asshole response by saying I didn't see that level of detail anywhere else" to someone who works for a place in the "anywhere else" that did provide a pretty strong level of detail

Really, you can't think of any other possible way to convey your point? Maybe you should try harder, too?

Kudos to Yahoo Sports. I had CNN and MSNBC on all day, watched 2 of three network news shows, and read about 15 different articles from WaPo, NYT, Time, Vox, etc etc and not one of them did anything close to what Deadspin and Yahoo did yesterday afternoon.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

MEREDITH BAXTER-BIRNEY GOT ME INTO MIZZOU J-SCHOOL
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:02 am MEREDITH BAXTER-BIRNEY GOT ME INTO MIZZOU J-SCHOOL
I hope it was for less than $500K
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 am

Really, you can't think of any other possible way to convey your point? Maybe you should try harder, too?
really, you can't think of any other possible way why your response to me was pretty obtuse?

on a serious note, if I was really that worried about swamp denizens helping support the company that pays my salary I'd be going around and chastising every competitor link when possible. I don't. because I read dozens of other sites too.

but come on. don't name a website and say "I didn't see that anywhere else!" to me when you haven't bothered to actually check the company that pays my salary
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I only go to yahoo for the Kyle Busch to 200 NASCAR Wins National Watch.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The next Swamper that goes to Google Maps instead of asking me to make them something is on my shit list

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 am I only go to yahoo for the Kyle Busch to 200 NASCAR Wins National Watch.
one more!!!!!!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 am
A_B wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 am I only go to yahoo for the Kyle Busch to 200 NASCAR Wins National Watch.
one more!!!!!!
It's gonna be soooooooo good.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:08 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 am

really, you can't think of any other possible way why your response to me was pretty obtuse?

on a serious note, if I was really that worried about swamp denizens helping support the company that pays my salary I'd be going around and chastising every competitor link when possible. I don't. because I read dozens of other sites too.

but come on. don't name a website and say "I didn't see that anywhere else!" to me when you haven't bothered to actually check the company that pays my salary
No offense, man, but I really don't come on this board and think of ways to come across as anything to you. In the same way I don't really get up in the morning, see a big national story and say "Huh, I wonder what Yahoo Sports is saying about this hot topic?" Which is the kind of thing I was trying to avoid saying when I said I don't want to be an asshole in response. And here we are.

You didn't need to chastise me in response. You could just as easily said, Not for nothing, but me and my Yahoo Crew were all over this, check it...

And I would've mea culpa'd AND, next time around, I would very likely have made my way over to Yahoo when a major national scandal involving the NCAA broke.

But, as you say, you're not worried about it, so let's all return to business as usual.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 am
No offense, man, but I really don't come on this board and think of ways to come across as anything to you. In the same way I don't really get up in the morning, see a big national story and say "Huh, I wonder what Yahoo Sports is saying about this hot topic?" Which is the kind of thing I was trying to avoid saying when I said I don't want to be an asshole in response. And here we are.
snarkily pointing out a lack of contextual awareness and asking for you to change your reading habits are two distinctly different things, as you know
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 am
one more!!!!!!
It's gonna be soooooooo good.
lotta parallels!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 am The coverage of this story is nauseating -- it gets coverage because we get to laugh at rich people and celebrities, but of all of the corruption in the world, this is what gets people fired up? My hope is this can lead to the downfall of the standardized test scam industry, but ultimately, it's just gonna be schadenfreude and a nice distraction away from more serious stuff.
As an alum of one of the involved schools, I’m glad that this story is drawing attention to the outsized role that money and family connections have in undergraduate admissions. For as long as I can remember, people have bitched about race-based affirmative action as the supposed root of all admissions issues, while ignoring all this other crap.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Joe K wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:32 am
EdRomero wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 am The coverage of this story is nauseating -- it gets coverage because we get to laugh at rich people and celebrities, but of all of the corruption in the world, this is what gets people fired up? My hope is this can lead to the downfall of the standardized test scam industry, but ultimately, it's just gonna be schadenfreude and a nice distraction away from more serious stuff.
As an alum of one of the involved schools, I’m glad that this story is drawing attention to the outsized role that money and family connections have in undergraduate admissions. For as long as I can remember, people have bitched about race-based affirmative action as the supposed root of all admissions issues, while ignoring all this other crap.
I'm never going to complain about the exposing of rich people cheating the system. in all honesty, I think the level of coverage is related to the growing sentiments against the vast wealth discrepancies in this country
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Random shit I wonder about related to this case:

* What action or what person tipped of authorities to all of this? I read somewhere that the Yale soccer coach (CW-3) allegedly got greedy and double-dipped on one of the parents (already paid The Key and thought they were done, then the coach comes back for his own bite.) Maybe that person felt like enough was enough? I dunno, man. Exposing yourself and your kid seems unlikely.

Maybe one of those advisers really did continue to dig around and came up with the goods? Seems like someone at USC, for example, might have taken the extra 10 minutes it would take to track down a water polo club team to confirm that one shaky ass story.

* Why isn't William Macy named in this thing? It says he was aware of and participated in the payments. Just find that weird.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

All i can figure is they don't have anything with his voice/signature on anything?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Macy is only mentioned in the indictment as relating to their second kid, I believe. And they never went through on anything with their second kid. Just the first.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 am
Joe K wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:32 am
I'm never going to complain about the exposing of rich people cheating the system. in all honesty, I think the level of coverage is related to the growing sentiments against the vast wealth discrepancies in this country
Totally agree with this sentiment. It's one thing when some rich ass donor dumps a bunch of money on his alma mater to get the falafel stand forever in his name in the cafeteria. (With the actual goal of greasing the admissions skids for his child.) Hell, I know at least 2 family friends that had a dad or other rich relative "put in a good word" for their kids to help with admissions. I'm not saying it's OK, but we've accepted that level of bullshit.

But this nonsense? There's something really fucked up about how brazen this was, along with the purported scale. Rich, white Americans already start on lap 150 of a 200 lap race. Now we're basically handing them a checkered flag before the race starts.

Don't you dare steal that, bronto! Now that I'm reading Yahoo Sports, I'll be able to tell!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:21 am Macy is only mentioned in the indictment as relating to their second kid, I believe. And they never went through on anything with their second kid. Just the first.
I can't cut and paste, but I thought that too, but the indictment clearly spells out that CW-1 met with Huffman and Macy prior to the FIRST daughter's taking the SAT and spelled the whole thing out. And it says that Huffman and her spouse made the payment for the first daughter.

I dunno. Fucking weird, but maybe AB's got it and they didn't have anything with his name on it (check) or a recording like they do with her.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah, I just went back and looked. he's more strongly implicated in that second daughter scheme. it seems, from the indictment, that he wasn't involved past the initial meeting stage from the first one and then in the second one was meeting with Singer to talk about how the fraud would work. and then they backed out.

however, you know he was involved as were other significant others of those named in the indictment. so the spouses only taking the fall for this in some cases is unfair. though I can't get too worked up about that.
Last edited by Brontoburglar on Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I wish that colleges did a bracketology "First four out" with potential students so those kids that missed out that year could have some cool righteous indignation.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

And they all have to go to Dayton

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:43 am And they all have to go to Dayton
Thumbs up!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

boston.com (a website none of us work for, as far as I know) is going to leave that picture of Loughlin's daughter up there all day,aren't they?

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

she really should have thought twice about having her initials on a shelf in her USC dorm room
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yeah. Part of me wondered if there's a personal connection somewhere there with the dad (or mom, I guess) and that's another reason they were willing to go to such lengths for this particular school

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So what is your reaction if you are professor and have one of these kids in your class. The resentment of some student who does not deserve to be there is real when it comes to legit athletes. Imagine some prof who busted his/her rear in low paying grad school gigs to get that PHD and complete for a position at a high profile school and then you find out some kid paid his/her way in. No way that kid survives anything but the soft courses that the athletes have a reputation for taking.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:28 am Yeah. Part of me wondered if there's a personal connection somewhere there with the dad (or mom, I guess) and that's another reason they were willing to go to such lengths for this particular school
Her former husband, now a high up exec at Lionsgate, went to ASU... Current husband Mossimo Giannulli went to USC, but didn't graduate.

I don't swim in these waters (obviously), but I'm pretty sure among the elite/rich in SoCal, USC has become a fairly prestigious fall-back school. So, for the kids that don't get into, say, Stanford or the Ivies, if they can get into USC, they feel pretty OK with things. Again, as is often the case, it's the parents that have been paying a shitload for LA private schools since Suzy or Johnny was 3 years old that feel most of this high society pressure.

USC used to be kind of a joke, academically. It's not THAT long ago that they were just like ASU with an acceptance rate in the 70s. They now have a 17 percent admittance rate. That's not insane, compared to a lot of top 50-75 schools, but it's not like you can just show up like it's a CC.

Once known as the University of Spoiled Children, USC has done a remarkable job transforming into an almost elite school over the last 15-20 years or so.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

So he definitely meant to give the initials OJ (in 1999ish)

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:39 am I'm never going to complain about the exposing of rich people cheating the system. in all honesty, I think the level of coverage is related to the growing sentiments against the vast wealth discrepancies in this country
I was thinking about your point above last night and agree 100%. There has to be some pitchfork economics at play and frankly it's nice to see.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The president's transcripts didn't get this much investigation / TV play.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

this has been relegated to post-second commercial break on MSNBC this morning, so I'd argue heavily against that point anecdotally

if it was coming close to rivaling the Manafort coverage this morning, then it's a different discussion entirely
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Does it make a 2nd day, assuming it makes a 1st, if the involvement is generic rich people instead of Aunt Becky?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I actually really truly think it does. There are millions and millions of people like me and the other dads on here that are either going through or have fairly recently gone through the admissions process. Which is the culmination of anywhere from 4 - 8 years (depending on how crazy pants the parents make it) of marching through a tricky and stressful academic landscape.

To see what these rich fucks did to subvert the process is infuriating. To the point bronto made earlier, this just furthers the increasing tension and anger over how this society increasingly just hands shit to the rich, while we all bust our ass just to tread water.

Seeing this Olivia Jade piece of trash shit on a college education while sitting in a dorm room outfitted by Amazon, with her Sephora make-up caked on her entitled face... Yeah, ryan, boston.com's gonna keep her up there all day. Not just because she's "cute" but for millions of people she's the symbol of rich Americans and their total lack of awareness of how shitty they look to the rest of us.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 pm Seeing this Olivia Jade piece of trash shit on a college education while sitting in a dorm room outfitted by Amazon, with her Sephora make-up caked on her entitled face... Yeah, ryan, boston.com's gonna keep her up there all day. Not just because she's "cute" but for millions of people she's the symbol of rich Americans and their total lack of awareness of how shitty they look to the rest of us.
Therefore I would contend that the problem isn't the Olivia Jade's of the world...it's the people that like/follow/watch her.
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 pm Seeing this Olivia Jade piece of trash shit on a college education while sitting in a dorm room outfitted by Amazon, with her Sephora make-up caked on her entitled face... Yeah, ryan, boston.com's gonna keep her up there all day. Not just because she's "cute" but for millions of people she's the symbol of rich Americans and their total lack of awareness of how shitty they look to the rest of us.
Therefore I would contend that the problem isn't the Olivia Jade's of the world...it's the people that like/follow/watch her.
Well, it's both. It's the entitled parents who breed entitled kids, none of whom think that rules or norms in our society apply to them.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pmTherefore I would contend that the problem isn't the Olivia Jade's of the world...it's the people that like/follow/watch her.
Seems rough to call a bunch of teen and pre-teen girls "the real problem with the world".
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pmTherefore I would contend that the problem isn't the Olivia Jade's of the world...it's the people that like/follow/watch her.
Seems rough to call a bunch of teen and pre-teen girls "the real problem with the world".
I don't think they are the "problem with the world." Elite college admissions isn't as important as economic policy, global warming, healthcare or a myriad of other global, regional and local issues. Related to this specific issue, I would hold parents responsible for not raising better children. And it looks like the FBI agrees judging from the indictments.
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The feds want their money from taxes. Not sure they care about the parenting aspect except in the sense that it was the impetus of the fraud.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:31 pm The feds want their money from taxes. Not sure they care about the parenting aspect except in the sense that it was the impetus of the fraud.
I'm sure you're correct. Bottom line is the FBI didn't indict kids involved because they clearly were not the ones responsible even though they are the ones that benefit from the fraud.
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:11 pm The president's transcripts didn't get this much investigation / TV play.
Well, it is everywhere on facebook, now. All the middle-class parents currently sweating or who've recently sweated their child's college applications have their collective noses out of joint, so it will have legs. And, yes, I resemble that remark.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian