2019 NCAA Tournament Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2019 NCAA Tournament Thread

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:49 pm Yo dawg I heard you like rock fights so you get rock fights in your rock fights for the rest of the season.
Like. Jeez. The first game had drama at least but it wasn’t much fun until the last 4 minutes.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This one matters in the endgame too. But shit it’s like a dentists appointment. It had to happen and You’re grateful when it’s over.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Texas Tech should be favored on Monday.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’m trying to think. Is this first Final since 90 UNLV-Duke where neither team won a prior title? Am I missing one?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:10 pm I’m trying to think. Is this first Final since 90 UNLV-Duke where neither team won a prior title? Am I missing one?
First time since 1979 neither team has a title.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:10 pm I’m trying to think. Is this first Final since 90 UNLV-Duke where neither team won a prior title? Am I missing one?
Sounds right to me.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:20 pm
First time since 1979 neither team has a title.
Wasn’t Ljam right? Duke won first tile year after the lost to UNLV.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m almost positive ljam is correct.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Based on my drunk research. May be first time neither team had ever made a final since 1979.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:06 pm Texas Tech should be favored on Monday.
They’ve been easily the best team in this tournament. Have not had any shaky performances yet. The Gonzaga game was close late but TTU played well in that game against a very strong opponent.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:37 pm
degenerasian wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:30 pm
brian wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:12 pm The big mistake Auburn made was fouling after Guy dribbled off his foot.
It adds to the discussion we've been having about having too many fouls to give. If Auburn is in the penalty that foul never happens and the game is over.
If the Refs had caught that double-dribble, the game is over.
FWIW, the Auburn player grabbed his jersey (presumable to give an intentional foul) before the double dribble occurred. So I don’t mind the double dribble not being called. And it was a clear foul on the 3 point attempt. You can’t make that much contact with a jump shooter’s legs when he’s rising into his shot.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That opening total of 118 is an awesome fuck you to anyone who actually likes to watch basketball.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:33 am That opening total of 118 is an awesome fuck you to anyone who actually likes to watch basketball.
I am literally surprised it is that high.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Hey guys, I'm fine!

I wasn't so fine for a while there, but I got getter.

Seriously, that was a surreal ending. While I was very happy, I wasn't as euphoric as I was after the Purdue win, simply because of the awkwardness of the ending. I hate that UVA had to win with free throws, even though it was absolutely the right call.

I already felt that way when they brought up the double dribble issue a few minutes later. I feel like I know basketball pretty well and I didn't catch it in real time at all. Never crossed my mind. My main concern at the time was that the loose ball cost UVA about 2 seconds and could have ended the game, especially knowing that Auburn still wanted to foul. Seeing the other angle, that Brown (I think) was actually grabbing Jerome - trying to get the foul call - before Jerome grabbed the ball with two hands has tempered my guilt about that missed call. In a perfectly reffed world, they blow whistle right there for Auburn's sixth foul and UVA gets it out of bounds with a couple of seconds more than they ended up with (which could have actually been bad, considering how it played out).

So, yeah. I couldn't be happier about UVA making the title game, but I do hate that the national story line is that the refs gave them the win. I'm not terribly enthused about all the takes about how the championship game will be boring or a disaster either, but I'm used to that. To me, if you don't appreciate good defense, you aren't really a basketball fan and your opinion means little to me.

Lastly, Texas Tech scares the hell out of me. I was hoping Michigan State would win. Tech has been the best team in the tournament and they should absolutely be favored.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Two more comments on the end of the game:

1. The foul call on Auburn was 1,000,000% more valid than the foul called on Seton Hall at the end of the 1989 title game. That was an all-time weak call and people still treat Michigan’s title as fully earned.

2. Tennessee lost to Purdue earlier this tourney after getting called for the same exact foul (lower body contact on a 3 point shooter) at the end of regulation. So it’s not exactly an unprecedented call to make at the end of a game.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Joe K wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:50 pm Two more comments on the end of the game:

1. The foul call on Auburn was 1,000,000% more valid than the foul called on Seton Hall at the end of the 1989 title game. That was an all-time weak call and people still treat Michigan’s title as fully earned.

2. Tennessee lost to Purdue earlier this tourney after getting called for the same exact foul (lower body contact on a 3 point shooter) at the end of regulation. So it’s not exactly an unprecedented call to make at the end of a game.
Auburn SHOULD have lost to New Mexico St on the same kind of call in the 1st round. Only difference was that the NMSU shooter missed the free throws.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Auburn SHOULD have lost to New Mexico St on the same kind of call in the 1st round. Only difference was that the NMSU shooter missed the free throws.
Yeah, I thought that was an interesting parallel as well. That guy missed his first free throw and then the third as well. If he hits all three, Auburn loses in the first round and becomes a symbol of failure, not success. The margins in this tournament are so slim and the conclusions people reach from the results are almost always bullshit.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You know I can't just let that go. :-) It was a very weak "body on body" call, but if you pull that play up he had kicked to a wide open guy, who also had a skip pass available who I think was Glen Rice. Maybe not to Rice, but I'm pretty sure the kickout was to Loy Vaught, who was a decent option that close to the basket.

You also have to remember that Rumeal was somewhere in the 60-65 percent FT over his career. I know it has nothing to do with your point (which is valid), but as a MI fan, that foul actually felt like less of a sure thing than having Rice hoist one up.

(Unlike on Sat when they fouled one of the better FT shooters on the team.)

But, yeah, no... That's a terrible call and it would've been so much better to have won it on a shot by Vaught or Robinson.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So how does this work for $300K ticket guy? Is he looking for a book that'll work on his ticket credit to lock in ~$150K guaranteed?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BTW, watching some of the coverage of fan reactions from Auburn on Saturday. Really rough to watch.

That said, they sure invite the schadenfreude when one of the first instincts is to start an S.E.C! chant in one of them, before they even get into their war eagle stuff.

That's a really fucking obnoxious trait, for the record.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:39 am BTW, watching some of the coverage of fan reactions from Auburn on Saturday. Really rough to watch.

That said, they sure invite the schadenfreude when one of the first instincts is to start an S.E.C! chant in one of them, before they even get into their war eagle stuff.

Cosmic payback for the Kick Six.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If Virginia wins tonight they move off the list of best programs not to win the tournament. I'm thinking that list looks something like:

1. Oklahoma
2. Temple
3. UVA
4. Notre Dame
5. Gonzaga
6. Purdue
7. UMass or some shit.

ETA: West Fuckin' Virginia, Illinois, and Missouri are around there too.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

St. Johns probably above most of those teams.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Damn, I didn't even think of our archrivals. Fuck St. John's.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:51 am Damn, I didn't even think of our archrivals. Fuck St. John's.
It's so hard to gauge really, because of the whole one-bid thing that lasted for so long. Most of those teams you have listed would likely have won one before now if not for that. Or at least have more final fours to their names.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hi I'd just like to point out its not La Salle as La Salle has a national title.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Tom Gola forever.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I would put Oklahoma, Illinois and Houston at the top of that list. Those three programs had runs where the programs were stacked with future NBAers.

The Illini team MI had to beat in '89 had Nick Anderson, Kendall Gill and Kenny Battle. And there a couple of guys I'm not even remember that went on to play in the NBA. The Flyin' Illini. The Houston team that lost to Valvano... I mean, c'mon. And the Oklahoma team with Mookie Blaylock and Stacey King.

I'd also put Memphis pretty high in the mix.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The fact that Ralph Sampson didn't win a championship buts UVA firmly in the top 10 on that list.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:39 am BTW, watching some of the coverage of fan reactions from Auburn on Saturday. Really rough to watch.

The footage of the folks congregating is a true sign of the times. I'd say about a third of them were holding cameras up either shooting the scene or shooting their own reactions to the scene.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:11 amThe Illini team MI had to beat in '89 had Nick Anderson, Kendall Gill and Kenny Battle.
"Marcus Liberty." - the deep recesses of my brain
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:18 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:11 amThe Illini team MI had to beat in '89 had Nick Anderson, Kendall Gill and Kenny Battle.
"Marcus Liberty." - the deep recesses of my brain
YESSSSS.

Jesus, that team. Scary as hell.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

You know, when considering total NCAA basketball titles, it is worth knowing that until the early 1960's, winning the NIT was considered MORE prestigious than winning the NCAA tournament.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:47 am

You know I can't just let that go. :-) It was a very weak "body on body" call, but if you pull that play up he had kicked to a wide open guy, who also had a skip pass available who I think was Glen Rice. Maybe not to Rice, but I'm pretty sure the kickout was to Loy Vaught, who was a decent option that close to the basket.

You also have to remember that Rumeal was somewhere in the 60-65 percent FT over his career. I know it has nothing to do with your point (which is valid), but as a MI fan, that foul actually felt like less of a sure thing than having Rice hoist one up.

But, yeah, no... That's a terrible call and it would've been so much better to have won it on a shot by Vaught or Robinson.
I was there!

I remember in the line to get into the Kingdome that night, some Seton Hall Alums were next to us, complaining that Michigan's band was bigger then the Seton Hall business school.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am You know, when considering total NCAA basketball titles, it is worth knowing that until the early 1960's, winning the NIT was considered MORE prestigious than winning the NCAA tournament.
The best schools have won each, just to be safe.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am You know, when considering total NCAA basketball titles, it is worth knowing that until the early 1960's, winning the NIT was considered MORE prestigious than winning the NCAA tournament.
When Utah won it all in 1944, they had lost in the NIT (to Kentucky, naturally) then got tapped as a replacement in the NCAA for Arkansas who withdrew after 2 of their starters were severely injured in a car accident.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

My point was in-artfully made, but I was just getting at the idea that as time passes people forget about whatever fortunate breaks teams needed to win a title. Occasionally you get teams like 2009 UNC, 2012 UK or 2018 Nova that steamroll the field but almost every NCAA hoops champ gets lucky along the way. So if UVA wins tonight I don’t think anyone outside of Alabama will care about the officiating at the end of the Auburn game 30 years from now.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I will put UH at the top of the list due to their iconic factors:

1. Phi Slama Jama
2. Losing to Jimmy V
3. Beating UCLA in the Astrodome
4. The name on the building is the guy with all the overrated restaurants (which started in Katy) who will be bringing me an NHL team soon.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:37 pm Hey guys, I'm fine!

I wasn't so fine for a while there, but I got getter.

Seriously, that was a surreal ending. While I was very happy, I wasn't as euphoric as I was after the Purdue win, simply because of the awkwardness of the ending. I hate that UVA had to win with free throws, even though it was absolutely the right call.

I already felt that way when they brought up the double dribble issue a few minutes later. I feel like I know basketball pretty well and I didn't catch it in real time at all. Never crossed my mind. My main concern at the time was that the loose ball cost UVA about 2 seconds and could have ended the game, especially knowing that Auburn still wanted to foul. Seeing the other angle, that Brown (I think) was actually grabbing Jerome - trying to get the foul call - before Jerome grabbed the ball with two hands has tempered my guilt about that missed call. In a perfectly reffed world, they blow whistle right there for Auburn's sixth foul and UVA gets it out of bounds with a couple of seconds more than they ended up with (which could have actually been bad, considering how it played out).

So, yeah. I couldn't be happier about UVA making the title game, but I do hate that the national story line is that the refs gave them the win. I'm not terribly enthused about all the takes about how the championship game will be boring or a disaster either, but I'm used to that. To me, if you don't appreciate good defense, you aren't really a basketball fan and your opinion means little to me.

Lastly, Texas Tech scares the hell out of me. I was hoping Michigan State would win. Tech has been the best team in the tournament and they should absolutely be favored.
That's a weird thing to say, likely colored by your fandom a great deal. I sure don't remember you extolling the virtues of Cincinnati in the mid 2000s and those terrible to watch play Louisville teams shortly thereafter. People like different styles.

That said, it's also easier to be locked in on defense for a whole game when you get to rest on offense the whole game. I appreciate defense (Cal's UK teams are usually decently balanced, but the defense is more dependable, as Joe K mentioned above) but it isn't my favorite style to watch being played.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Joe K wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:08 pm

My point was in-artfully made, but I was just getting at the idea that as time passes people forget about whatever fortunate breaks teams needed to win a title. Occasionally you get teams like 2009 UNC, 2012 UK or 2018 Nova that steamroll the field but almost every NCAA hoops champ gets lucky along the way. So if UVA wins tonight I don’t think anyone outside of Alabama will care about the officiating at the end of the Auburn game 30 years from now.
Oh, yeah, no question on the long-term history.

(Kind of along those lines, whenever I'm in MI gear at an opponents venue, I will ALWAYS hear someone say "Call a TO!" Something has to be of biblical proportions for it to stick in the collective conscious like that.

Oh, and App St, that's the other chestnut.

What I find funny is hearing shit talk about football from MD fans. Fuck right off with that with your janky-ass history of mediocrity.)